294 52.97%
  • Battle for Azeroth was the most enjoyable of the 3

134 24.14%
  • Shadowlands was/is still the most enjoyable of the 3

127 22.88%
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    I think a lot of people on this forum overestimate how much the average player cares about gear. I'm sure there were more than a few casuals who felt disappointment when they saw what they got for their first legendary, but for the majority of players they were always a stat boost at the very least.

While I'm certainly a casual now, old habits die hard and I still go out of my way to look up talent and stat min/maxing for even my least played alts (far more than the typical player cares to do). I KNEW when I got a terrible legendary and still I can't say it ever bothered me that much. And I certainly don't care about being behind on things like artifact power or azerite power.
    I think you underestimate how much people care about loot and how quickly people get annoyed by it, like the little green-eyed loot-whores that most of them are. I also mentioned explicitly raiders, sure the casual that just pets their their hunter pet for an hour a day and is still lvl 52 in Bastion is probably not that much interested in loot, but people that particpate in endgame? Especially when the loot that did have as much influence as back with legendaries in legion and playstyle changes that came with it? Yeah, most people probably care on some level about that, which is why Blizzard kept changing it in rather quick succession.
    MMO-C should be glad that the British Empire is no more, because they'd want a piece of all the copium trade here.
    Angry players come to the forums to complain about the game... but what loser only comes to the forums to complain about the forums and its users?
    Felating Blizzard too eagerly may lead to oxygen deficiency and worst case asphyxiation. Long-term effects range from delusions up to cerebral necrosis.

BfA for me. I didn't actually play most of the expansion, but I went hard on the last season of Mythic+, and it's some of the most fun I've ever had on WoW.

WoD was the first expansion I got fed up with the Fel Green color and quit the game for nearly a year.
    But it is the best of the choices in the list.

SL is a bad option because it's yet to conclude and BFA is forever of an example of how not to design reward systems.

They tried and failed with the overengineering of Azerite, Benthic, Corruption gear. By creating this infinite grind and downgrade with upgrades, kinda showed us how little it was thought about on what it meant to actually get the loot.
    It was funny seeing better players loot an Azerite piece and 'lose' bonuses alongside, making them actually worse than their current gear.

This hyperfocus on simming, calculating, whatever to make choices between pieces is what's a turnoff for me.
    I play a healer. But as a dps, having to go to 3rd party websites and use seperate tools in-game and sometimes seperate apps(bloatware), shouldn't be the case for simple choices of items with 5 ilvl delta. It should be obvious that one is better than the other. But with the addition of extra effects etc. it isn't.

My advice to the development would be to keep it simple. Don't overclog the game with currencies, gratuitous reputations and so on. This doesn't mean that do nothing. It means, tone it down with the copy-pasting of dull elements to fill the players time.
    It's clear that there's a lack of vision and direction how to create a fun experience. Idk how you fix that, but find a way.
    Also... seriously, fix the lag. You don't seem to understand how important this is, but it is.

WoD was easily the most enjoyable of the last four expansions. It was the least offensive. Didn't have anywhere near as much timegating, grinds, lore abortions, and aggravating systems as the following expansions.

I've done indepth reviews for MoP through BFA. Not going to bother with a Shadowlands breakdown. Being worse than BFA is an achievement.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm of the opinion that the game peaked with MoP and then got worse with each expansion. A lot of people said that Legion was the best thing since MoP but I strongly disagree. It has more content than WoD but the quality of the experience was overall worse. If the pattern holds true (and we have no reason to believe otherwise) then 10.0 will somehow manage to supplant Shadowlands as the new worst expansion ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    BFA was miles ahead of WoD
    WoD didn't have:

• World quest chores. Yes you had to do your Apexis crystal daily but it only took 20 minutes, whereas you had to do at least an hour of world quest farming per day, more if you were trying to farm for your artifact or gaining rep with a faction.
    • Mythic+ chores.
    • Azerite system
    • Tremendous amount of time wasted trying to unlock allied races. Before you can play an allied race, you must first level a character to cap and the grind through a faction's rep to finally unlock the race and create the character you wanted play as in the first place, and then do all of your grinding on it again to get caught up.
    • Grinds on top of grinds that made the game alt-unfriendly
    • Huge decline in the quality of music
    • Horrendously awful storyline

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    WoD had the best iteration of classes, aka gameplay.
    Only good thing I remember about WoD's gameplay was the Saberon form and gladiator stance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Djaye View Post
    they have shown consistantly in the past they have no intention of making the game a solid MMO experience. it continues to slowly devolve into yet another crappy eastern mmo.
    At this point it looks like the gaming genre is starting to look like crappy eastern MMOs, period. Battle passes (read: chores) in every game, cash shops that milk you dry, little to no quality content that is padded out by mediocre chores, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luxeley View Post
    2nd patch doubled down on stupid with garrisons on the sea.
    Ah, now I remember how disappointing it was that I couldn't actually do anything with the ships. It was just more facebook game chores. Too bad that South Seas expansion with Kul'tiras and ships you could drive never came to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing I didn't mention in the reviews specifically, but have talked about before:

Roleplaying.

WoD was the last time my server, Moon Guard (the largest RP server in NA at the time), still had an active roleplaying scene. Even during the 14 month SoO content drought, you could still walk through Orgrimmar or Silvermoon or Thunder Bluff or Undercity and see hundreds of players RPing. There were huge server wide RP events every other day. Even though WoD didn't have much in the way of longevity, you could still have a ton of fun RPing. But over time, the RP scene began to die off. During Legion, I remember there not being anywhere near as many people around in Orgrimmar as there were during the the 14 months of SoO or the early days of WoD. Legion was when the shitty writing became really noticeable. BFA brought a lot of people back at the start, hyped for the prospects of their favorite races finally getting storyline progression... but then the shitty writing killed people's investment in the story. By the time of Shadowland's launch, the RP scene on Moon Guard was completely dead. Since Blizzard axed all of the storylines and characters people had any investment in, and since their writing was shit so there was no chance of the new Shadowlands story material to be interesting like Pandaria, pretty much everyone who cared about the lore quit the game.

So another thumbs up for WoD for not totally murdering the RP scene like the latter expansions did.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-09-23 at 08:39 AM.

WoD is miles better than BFA and SL combined. The gameplay was actually still pretty good despite the over-pruning, pvp was balanced with great gear progression. Class design was overall good and the set bonuses and class trinkets were all fun. Legendary rings were fun to use at the end of the expansion. Raids and dungeon content was stellar. WoD just lacked content, but what it had was (mostly) top notch. I just wish tanaan jungle wasn't such a shit zone.

BFA and SL had mediocre at best pve content, dumpster tier pvp and the worst class design the game's ever seen. It's not even a contest really.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    There was actually no content in WoD, which is scary to see people act like that isn't a problem for them.
    Seems like a lot of people don't actually want to play the game regularly?
    I would rather play through 20 hours of good questing and then be done with the game, over spending playing 20 hours of okay questing padded over the course of 100 hours with a lots of unfun gameplay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Its quite telling that most of the people still playing WoW liked WoD. WoD drove away most everyone else tho. That's how feedback can be dangerous. You'd think WoD was popular. But its actually liked by a very small minority.
    Nobody here is saying that WoD is their favorite expansion. What people are saying that in retrospect, it was the least bad of the expansions that came during the great decline.

Bloodsail Admiral
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzzaa View Post
    This hyperfocus on simming, calculating, whatever to make choices between pieces is what's a turnoff for me.
    I play a healer. But as a dps, having to go to 3rd party websites and use seperate tools in-game and sometimes seperate apps(bloatware), shouldn't be the case for simple choices of items with 5 ilvl delta. It should be obvious that one is better than the other. But with the addition of extra effects etc. it isn't.
    At 5 ilevels difference having good vs bad secondaries will make a difference to whether or not it's an upgrade. It's when a 10+ ilevel difference isn't a clear upgrade that things are all messed up.
    Also... seriously, fix the lag. You don't seem to understand how important this is, but it is.
    It's weird. I play on NA servers, but live in oceania. My ping times are vastly lower now than they were in BC, Wrath, etc., and are no higher now than in the last couple of expacs, so why the lag?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalisandra View Post
    At 5 ilevels difference having good vs bad secondaries will make a difference to whether or not it's an upgrade. It's when a 10+ ilevel difference isn't a clear upgrade that things are all messed up.

It's weird. I play on NA servers, but live in oceania. My ping times are vastly lower now than they were in BC, Wrath, etc., and are no higher now than in the last couple of expacs, so why the lag?
    Server lag was what I was primarily on about, their procesing overhead. A problem they created themselves with the amount of procs, buffs, events present in just playing the game.
    A current example would be the start of the Sylvanas mythic fight, having a noticeable spike in delay when the fight begins. It stabilizes after about 1-2 secs. During which, some players can rarely but has happened, lag out and basically disappear from the game until they log back in. - This may have been fixed, haven't rekilled it in a while.

But a general example would be something that we had much worse in BFA - A single spellcast from a player, generating X amount of buffs, usually like 3, and proccing some triggers of damage on the target. Each of which has modifiers, %-ages, effects on it depending on your gear. So thus, a single player-driven event generates a small storm of events on the server-side. As soon as the game has some arbitrary amount of players doing this(spending every GCD) the server seemingly begins to falter.

At some oddball times they are also getting DoS'ed which manifests as high ping times for users from certain regions as the border gateway facing them is overloaded. Luckily, that too, relatively rare. But it happens frequently enough that it's actually a thing.

Mostly, the netwokr itself, is fine. I'm from the northeastern bits of the EU.

WoD, while we talk trash about the garrison system, it wasn't that bad to what they put in place of artifact weapons. The story was weird asf, but it was also kinda cool seeing the war on draenor before it became a giant dead rock floating through space.

This seems to be a choice of shit sandwiches, with the only differences being bread, texture of shit, and what condiments were added.

Warlords. Class design was almost at MoP's peak, and there were no useless grinds like choregast and pvp worked well. Sure, there wasn't much to do, but the basic loop of solo combat/raids/pvp worked well so its better than bfa and sl's numerous badly designed grind.

Wod made me quit wow for first time in over a decade so thats obviously not the choice.
    I played bfa briefly but it sucked big time...
    Played first tier of SL and really liked it but then computer gpu burned up and summer came so what was the point.

Still SL has been one of the best expos for me personally, only liked cata/mop more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    This seems to be a choice of shit sandwiches, with the only differences being bread, texture of shit, and what condiments were added.
    Fair assessment tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    I don't know, "I WILL NEVER SERVE" is now in the running for overthrowing this as the stupidest cutscene line ever
    I feel like "I WILL NEVER SERVE" is the more stupid one. Draenor is free feels like the writers just trying to rush to a happy ending to a gutted expansion, whereas Sylv's line feels like the dev's thought they were building up to this awesome moment that the player base was going to love.

Not to mention provided the iron horde stops being jerks, Grom's line is factually correct at least. Whereas sylv doesn't seem to realize she was serving him all along....despite saying "all will serve death" a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I would rather play through 20 hours of good questing and then be done with the game, over spending playing 20 hours of okay questing padded over the course of 100 hours with a lots of unfun gameplay.

Nobody here is saying that WoD is their favorite expansion. What people are saying that in retrospect, it was the least bad of the expansions that came during the great decline.

I can't bring myself to log on an alt, just because thinking of catching up all that stuff (Renown levels, Korthia, Choreghast, the maw) is so demotivating

A lot of people seem to miss (Or ignore) that the OP's question was "Which of *these three* is the most enjoyable?" (MoP, Wrath, and Legion ran rings around all three of them, but that wasn't the question), and put up against BfA and ShitshowLands, WoD was indeed more enjoyable.

I quit after a year of WoD. The writing, among so much else, was just was plain awful to me. To hear that things became worse..omg.
    And every now and then I miss certain zones. Artistically, some of the zones are gorgeous, and with the music in the background...*sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Felis igneus View Post
    I think you underestimate how much people care about loot and how quickly people get annoyed by it, like the little green-eyed loot-whores that most of them are. I also mentioned explicitly raiders, sure the casual that just pets their their hunter pet for an hour a day and is still lvl 52 in Bastion is probably not that much interested in loot, but people that particpate in endgame? Especially when the loot that did have as much influence as back with legendaries in legion and playstyle changes that came with it? Yeah, most people probably care on some level about that, which is why Blizzard kept changing it in rather quick succession.
    People like upgrades, and for everyone but the top raiders legendaries were almost always upgrades regardless of the added abilities. Hell, even the 15% shield from the original Prydaz would have been a nice bonus for people who typically stick to dungeons and open world content (aka the majority). Improving the items and the system over the course of the expansion was better for everyone, but most people were perfectly fine with it from the beginning.

I would put WOD as start of downfall, the second they added pathfinder and I couldn't just buy flying when I hit max level or close to it I lost all interest in the game and have not really liked it at all since MOP. and I despised the story in MOP, but at least they had some good class design.

wod simply because no m+, challenge mode was completely optional

I'd have to say wod.

Even though it lacked content, the content it did have was awesome and it didn't make me stop playing from frustration. That's what made it important to me when compared to sl and bfa. When I stopped playing wod it wasn't from apathy and did not leave a sour taste in my mouth.

WOD no question. Log in and do what you came for. Log out. Why would I pay for a game that tells me to do chores before I'm allowed to actually play?

Would have been nice to get battle for Shattrath but BRF and HFC are both top 10 raids.
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    She lost against Arthas for purpose. She wanted to feed Quel'thalas to hungering darkness.