• Battle for Azeroth was the most enjoyable of the 3

135 24.02%
  • Shadowlands was/is still the most enjoyable of the 3

127 22.60%
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeons View Post
    This forum is now praising WoD. The hypocrisy is outstanding.
    What exactly would the 'hypocrisy' be with choosing WoD as the least bad (NOT the best, just the least bad) expansion of the trio proposed in the OP? Or are you assuming that, given how badly Blizz dropped the ball in WoD, it cannot possibly happen ever again?
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    What OP meant to say:

What's more enjoyable? Paper cuts underneath your fingernails, smashing your pinky toe against something, or having somebody pinch your tongue until it bleeds?
    Well, for me anything that doesn't have Choreghast, warfronts/islands or any similar BS is already a big plus in itself, regardless of any other considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    To you mean that like "The storys and environments were great" or "you can get to 50 in shadowmoon valley"? because the latter is a severe case of diminishing returns. There was a time where it was better to head to hellfire at 58 rather than quest in azeroths endgame zones but people got sick of fighting felboars and fighting for cannon spawns long before there was an alternative. Nothing kills interest in something for alts like monotony.
    Both, though unless you have lots of XP buffs (are those even still around?) it'd better if it took a couple of zones to level or at best doing all the treasure boxes that give XP and all the bonus XP 'world quests'.

While I was particularly keen on Frostfire, a lot of people liked it, and being able to easily level by questing in Frostfire/SMV - Talador - Arak meant three great zones, and you could avoid Gorgorond, which was lacklustre, and Nagrand, which tended to drag on. Or, you could do some of Gorgrond and some of Nagrand if you wanted a change. As long as levelling is fast enough this remains the case, WoD will be a great place to level.

Note, I'm not saying it's be so awesome nobody would want to level anywhere else (and if it's so fast that people feel 'forced' to, well that's bad too), but that it should be popular. Of course if next to nobody has the same taste I do, I'm going to be wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SerratedEdge252 View Post
    Hands down 100% Battle For Abortion was the worst expansion I've ever played. Shadowlands is a bit better but not by much and WoD is miles ahead of those two despite there being less content. Additional content while that content being a chore and being a slog to get through while class design is absolute ass (looking at you Battle For Abortion) does not make the expansion better. In reality it makes it far worse given the changed metric.

WoD and parts of Legion was the last time I genuinely had a really great time on the game and while I had a bit of fun in Shadowlands it's not the same as it once was. BFA was just cancer to log into.
    I just note that people were willing to log on most days to do their garrison chores (but weren't so happy about the fleet) and a few dailies for an extended time in WoD, yet BfA saw people only logging in a couple of times a week once they'd vaguely caught up to a tier even though there was a lot more content. In BfA I used to find myself doing circuits of Boralus (once we had flight), admiring it, to put off doing daily chores in Nazjatar and Mechagon (and in the invasions later on).

- - - Updated - - -

We are marking it as better than BfA and SL (mostly, some disagree, obviously). Is anyone putting it up as being good overall, except possibly for some class design and non-Ashran organised PvP?

Except they aren't and it isn't.

The OP didn't ask which was the best expansion to be met with "WOD was great!". They asked which was was most enjoyable piece of crap out of the worst 3 expansions and those of us who chose WOD did so not because it was good, but because it wasn't the worst.

As I said previously in this thread, I chose WOD because it wasn't bloated with Chores tied to player power. That doesn't mean I think WOD was a great expansion. It was a Dumpster fire, but not a Train wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    Except they aren't and it isn't.

The OP didn't ask which was the best expansion to be met with "WOD was great!". They asked which was was most enjoyable piece of crap out of the worst 3 expansions and those of us who chose WOD did so not because it was good, but because it wasn't the worst.

As I said previously in this thread, I chose WOD because it wasn't bloated with Chores tied to player power. That doesn't mean I think WOD was a great expansion. It was a Dumpster fire, but not a Train wreck.
    Exactly. Nobody in here is praising WoD, we know it was dry on content outside of raiding or PvP. But BFA was absolutely worse in comparison. None of the content in BFA was particularly engaging from a gameplay perspective, classes were reduced to shells of themselves with the depreciation of Artifact Weapons only to be replaced with the Azerite gear and necklaces which, outside of a few traits (depending on spec and even then there weren't that many), were usually uninteresting and didn't have any impact on gameplay, and everything implemented o̶u̶t̶s̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶P̶v̶P̶ looked great on paper but in execution failed horribly (Island Expeditions, Warfronts).

Oh and Corruption added at the end...RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG and don't get me started on things like Infinite Stars and Echoing Void literally doing more damage than literally EVERY SINGLE ABILITY in someone's arsenal COMBINED. EDIT: Oh, and getting a proc in PvP that one-shotted someone just from the proc *chef's kiss*

Shadowlands may not have anything like Corruption but they sure as hell seemed like they doubled down on unnecessary systems that'll likely be gone once the next expansion hits.
    Last edited by Ekis; 2021-10-09 at 04:56 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalisandra View Post
    Cata was also when they came up with the bright idea of an instanced area where you'd get to do all these dailies, for currency that wasn't really optional and which couldn't be gained elsewhere. Repeated in Isle of Thunder, Broken Isles, Argus, and Nazjatar. It sucked the first time, and it sucked all the other times, too.
    Er... one could say if those are "instanced areas" then you have to admit that the Isle of Quel'Danas was, as well.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    the fact wod is "winning" just proof of what wow veterans have been saying forever, the last expac is always better than the current in the eyes of community.

i remember cataclysm being heralded as even worse than wod, yet didnt make the list.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Er... one could say if those are "instanced areas" then you have to admit that the Isle of Quel'Danas was, as well.
    Isle of QD gave currency that was gained elsewhere as well, so not doing the dailies didn't mean you fell behind that much if you did the other things that got you badges (raids and the daily dungeons). That's not the same as the later versions where the currency all came from that one place.

Timeless Isle is also not the same as Isle of Thunder, Argus, etc., because there was very little that you really had to do there (the cloak quests that went there were about it), and the rest was cosmetics and catch-up stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    the fact wod is "winning" just proof of what wow veterans have been saying forever, the last expac is always better than the current in the eyes of community.

i remember cataclysm being heralded as even worse than wod, yet didnt make the list.
    The OP gave a choice of three: WoD, BfA, and SL. That's why people aren't bagging on Cata (or praising it, as the case may be). Also, BfA is not beating out SL as a clearly more popular choice, so you can't really say 'the last is always more popular than the current' about the current situation. Nor was WoD a clear leader over MoP when WoD was current (nor WoD over Legion, for that matter).

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    the last expac is always better than the current in the eyes of community.
    I don't see BfA leading the poll, not by any means of the imagination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I don't see BfA leading the poll, not by any means of the imagination.
    True, and I don't believe it was ever ahead of WoD either. In spite of the phrasing, I took Gorefiend's statement to mean the current expansion is rarely looked upon as fondly as any that came before it. Like, you could say Bfa sucks and you'd get tons of folks chiming in with something like: "well it doesn't suck nearly as bad as Shadowlands." Legion may have been the only expansion where no one was praising WoD while also declaring Legion to be trash.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saintminya View Post
    True, and I don't believe it was ever ahead of WoD either. In spite of the phrasing, I took Gorefiend's statement to mean the current expansion is rarely looked upon as fondly as any that came before it. Like, you could say Bfa sucks and you'd get tons of folks chiming in with something like: "well it doesn't suck nearly as bad as Shadowlands." Legion may have been the only expansion where no one was praising WoD while also declaring Legion to be trash.
    Meh, imo BfA sucked donkey balls, as does SL so far - and for several of the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Meh, imo BfA sucked donkey balls, as does SL so far - and for several of the same reasons.
    I rate SL above BfA, but not by a whole lot.

Expansions are usually either extremely overvalued or extremely undervalued by users. There are always extremely small differences between the previous expansion and the next or at least smaller than most people insist they are and that is true since TBC.

Most people confuse having the most fun with their best friends: with the "best" expansion; extremely few people are objective about it because guilds disband every ~2 years or at least most raid teams do and a ton of people were children at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    Expansions are usually either extremely overvalued or extremely undervalued by users.
    Users have their own reactions, but "de gustibus non est disputandum". My gut reaction to BfA was a lot better than many of the critics, it seems; my reaction to SL was earlier and worse. SL just felt like everything fun had been drained away.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD. The rot was only beginning and boring is better then objectively awful.

Wod was better then your overhyped, precious legion
    Wrath baby and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Users have their own reactions, but "de gustibus non est disputandum".
    I mean I can find their reasons of low value to me. It's pretty clear some people are biased. Bias is a "taste" too but it doesn't mean I should respect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    BfA because it had content for non-raiders. WoD was raid or die, which sucked hard.
    This is why we have chores, because people don’t want to raid in a MMORPG.

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    I mean I can find their reasons of low value to me. It's pretty clear some people are biased. Bias is a "taste" too but it doesn't mean I should respect it.
    Saying your personal taste is unbiased and correct, and those with other tastes are biased and incorrect, seems rather narcissistic to me.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    When how bad things can be keeps getting worse? No shit people will paint less awful times in every shade of rose they can
    Wrath baby and proud of it

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalisandra View Post
    Isle of QD gave currency that was gained elsewhere as well, so not doing the dailies didn't mean you fell behind that much if you did the other things that got you badges (raids and the daily dungeons). That's not the same as the later versions where the currency all came from that one place.

Timeless Isle is also not the same as Isle of Thunder, Argus, etc., because there was very little that you really had to do there (the cloak quests that went there were about it), and the rest was cosmetics and catch-up stuff.
    Ahh, right, ok. Finally I've met someone whose memory on such things is a touch stronger.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water