Nearly all store-brand chicken in U.S. has fatty "white striping" issue, group says

Disregard, I misread part of it. If anyone wants to read the original article, I will keep the link.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chicken-white-striping/
    Last edited by Fugus; 2021-09-21 at 04:03 PM.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

That animal welfare group wants to make it sound horrifying...but people are unlikely to care unless/until it effects the quality or taste enough to notice.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    That animal welfare group wants to make it sound horrifying...but people are unlikely to care unless/until it effects the quality or taste enough to notice.
    Fat usually tastes relatively good though so it's probably about the quality and composition as opposed to taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Source Article
    white striping causes the meat to have a far higher fat content — up to 224% more — and lower protein levels, the Humane League said. White striping was nearly nonexistent less than 10 years ago
    What probably happened here is the chicken breeders or geneticists came across the fact that it's easier to produce more fat faster than protein. So I guess they'll want to de-prioritize the total mass of the chicken and maybe taste for the next generation of chickens in order to focus on improving other metrics such as protein quality and quantity.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-09-22 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I’ve noticed. It’s why I don’t buy certain brands of chicken. I much prefer my chicken without that nasty shit.
    Ya..most people get enough fat in their diet. There's a bit of irony that those of us who are more focused on health, dieting, and exercising prefer whole breast meat.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how the article quotes it as a "disease" .. Like, chill, it's just fat, it's not like it's pus or something

I agree with your comment. Until nothing threatens or disturbs man enough to hurt him, he thinks only of himself.

A picture would have been nice to see what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    It's easy enough to find if you google "chicken white striping." It's basically just tiny parallel white lines in the meat.

I read the title and immediately said "that shit i cut out of the chicken?" Sure enough it is the shit I cut out of the chicken and I honestly thought everyone else did too.
    If its too much of a scare for people, just cut out the stripes and grill. Let's be real here, the way people prepare their food is way more unhealthy than the food itself.

Thank God it's not anything serious that I have to alter my seven nation flavor recipe.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Score 1 and up would never be in stores over here

It's easy enough to find if you google "chicken white striping." It's basically just tiny parallel white lines in the meat.
    So....I'm expected to go look up what an article is talking about rather than the journalist do the proper thing and just do it?

So....I'm expected to go look up what an article is talking about rather than the journalist do the proper thing and just do it?
    They literally link to the report in the first paragraph. And what's this? It has pretty pictures depicting what they're talking about? Quelle surprise.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    They literally link to the report in the first paragraph. And what's this? It has pretty pictures depicting what they're talking about? Quelle surprise.
    The laziness of some people here shouldn't be surprising anymore.

That's honestly crappy journalism, web posting, etc. What if I read the story in text and not HTML simply not to be directed to some website that I do not want to go.

This meat looks disgusting.

This is why I would rather buy small-farm chicken (at least when I can afford it; nearby Asian markets seem to have the best value, and you often get some extra soup bones in the bargain). Just saying.