Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    So there is about 500 servers.
    Let's ignore the fact that the concept of servers is largely a relic from past times on Retail and i'm going to take the wild guess based on Blizzards aggressive server mergers over the past years that you don't need a GM for every server, unless said GM should twiddle with their thumbs if they're not assigned to anything else.

Disregarding that i doubt you need to cover them 24/7 - i'm going to make another massive assumption and say that most players play around late afternoon - evening, not during the (late) night or usual working hours, hence that's where most spam is taking place and most people would care about its removal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Let's ignore the fact that the concept of servers is largely a relic from past times on Retail and i'm going to take the wild guess based on Blizzards aggressive server mergers over the past years that you don't need a GM for every server, unless said GM should twiddle with their thumbs if they're not assigned to anything else.

Disregarding that i doubt you need to cover them 24/7 - i'm going to make another massive assumption and say that most players play around late afternoon - evening, not during the (late) night or usual working hours, hence that's where most spam is taking place and most people would care about its removal.
    IE it's not the boosting that's the problem...it's the fact people see it

10+ Year Old Account
    those no boosting realms would be extremely unpopular

Bellular released a video about the topic of boosting today. Apparently the boosting community does semi work with blizzard to some degree and blizzard does indirectly profit from this sort of thing. So it is highly unlikely that blizzard will do much about this sort of thing unless some damning light comes to light.
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    IE it's not the boosting that's the problem...it's the fact people see it
    I didn't discuss whether boosting itself is the problem, but rather point out how much of BS that sort of napkin math is.

So there is about 500 servers.
    so thats 500 people, and the average 8 hour work day, there is 24 hours in a day, so thats 3 employees to cover a full 24 hour period.
    and that is with them working 8 hours a day 7 days a week. most dont, usually 5 days, and with overlap lets say

to have enough workers for a week of 8 hour shifts, for 1 server that is 5 employees.

so 5x500 thats 2500 employees, JUST to manage LFG/Chat channels.
    and that is with 500, which there is very much FAR more then that. i think we are at about 700 based on what i can assume
    there is 220 US, then EU easily another 200, then china, then all the classic servers.

see how that does not work?
    The first step is to hire a developer to create an automation tool. This tool captures messages that get flagged. Message gets sent to a human to read. Against the new rules? Ban button for both. I could see this being done by 1 dev and 10 x 3 mods.

30 x 8 hour shift x 10 American (a very generous amount for people working in a developing nation) = 2400 bucks a day or 4800 subscribers. A drop in the ocean of cash Blizz gets.

As to whether OPs idea should actually happen? No. It shouldn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by HateTrain View Post
    Terrible idea.

All they need to do is start Battle.net account banning people that advertise in the wrong channels from using chat. Maybe even any merged account on a battle.net.
    You understand that the accounts advertising publicly are not connected to the accounts doing the boosting, right?
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    30 x 8 hour shift x 10 American (a very generous amount for people working in a developing nation) = 2400 bucks
    .....so $2 less than California minimum wage for a large employer in the state with the highest cost of living in the country

God I hate these threads when all the armchair economist try to come in

Oh gee where should I entry level work this walmart in Irvine paying $14 an hour to be a cashier or a skilled position paying $10

Quote Originally Posted by HateTrain View Post
    Bottom line, is this pretty much. Additionally, I know there is an addon that blocks keywords from chat channels. I'm sure you can calibrate it to remove boost ads. If it can remove anal spam and thunderfury bullshit, it can remove "boost" and "service".
    The simple fix is just to give boosting its own LFG slot

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Empower View Post
    Alright let's use real math. There are maybe 15 servers that would require a single person to moderate. Rest can likely handle multiple servers at a time.

Now factor in blizzards slave style wages and the fact a banned person is banned and eventually even the gold sellers cant eat that cost...

Let's be generous and say 30 gms.. at 6$ an hour that is 4300? a day to solve the boosting issue.

It costs them pennies.
    again i just wanna come back to this and fucking giggle at how bad this is

Assumes there is only 15 active servers across wow when its closer to atleast 10x that
    Assumes people work 12 hour 7 day a week work days. when its closer to 8 hours 5 days a week
    Assumes blizzard pays "slave style wages" and says "6$ an hour" literally less then half the legally required pay
    Assumes 4300 a day is "pennies" that is 1,569,500 a year.

And again literally everything above is hilariously fucking wrong, and yet you still ended up with a MASSIVE cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

that is actually illegal...also you're forgetting the fact that there's a good chunk of servers who are primarily different languages EU servers in particular so not only do you need specific people but you gotta have people who specifically read certain languages and that costs a pretty penny.
    What are you talking about. Most of the languages in Europe have ex colonies. You get the workers there. Unskilled labour is cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

.....so $2 less than California minimum wage for a large employer in the state with the highest cost of living in the country

God I hate these threads when all the armchair economist try to come in

Oh gee where should I entry level work this walmart in Irvine paying $14 an hour to be a cashier or a skilled position paying $10
    That's great. Obviously you don't need reading skills for these Californian jobs. Have another go mate..
    why so mad bro

What are you talking about. Most of the languages in Europe have ex colonies. You get the workers there. Unskilled labour is cheap.
    And you want random unskilled folks ENFORCING a rule..
    Half of them won't fucking care and it will be either really half assed enforcement or a revolving door of people coming and going and Blizz having to spend resources training people...shit FACEBOOK can barely manage it

Assumes there is only 15 active servers across wow when its closer to atleast 10x that
    Assumes people work 12 hour 7 day a week work days. when its closer to 8 hours 5 days a week
    Assumes blizzard pays "slave style wages" and says "6$ an hour" literally less then half the legally required pay

And again literally everything above is hilariously fucking wrong, and yet you still ended up with a MASSIVE cost.
    Other countries exist too. It's pretty ignorant to think that other countries where $6 an hour would be welcome don't have a literate population. Do computers only exist in developed nations?

The cost may be 1.5M but it's in response to someone who said it couldn't happen because you would need 2500 employees to do it. Now that guy has no idea how the world works.
    why so mad bro

Active doesn't mean populated. I am going off the knowledge of where the most boosting occurs and its mostly restricted to the two dozen servers people commonly play on.

You should check your math... it is really far off what your suggestioning egregiously so..

I kinda feel like I'm being laughed at by someone I asked to break a 20 and they gave me multiple 50$ bills...

Other countries exist too. It's pretty ignorant to think that other countries where $6 an hour would be welcome don't have a literate population. Do computers only exist in developed nations?

The cost may be 1.5M but it's in response to someone who said it couldn't happen because you would need 2500 employees to do it. Now that guy has no idea how the world works.
    ...so your basically suggesting Blizz have a shitty call center in India to do this

And you want random unskilled folks ENFORCING a rule..
    Half of them won't fucking care and it will be either really half assed enforcement or a revolving door of people coming and going and Blizz having to spend resources training people...shit FACEBOOK can barely manage it
    People already know how to read. How ignorant can you get. Literacy rates for most countries are above 70%. Hand them a flow chart. Tell them the expectations and review results, which can be captured automatically, monthly. Training and quality done.

If you actually read my posts instead of flying off the handle when you are proven wrong then you would know that I actually don't want this.
    why so mad bro

People already know how to read. How ignorant can you get. Literacy rates for most countries are above 70%. Hand them a flow chart. Tell them the expectations and review results, which can be captured automatically, monthly. Training and quality done.

If you actually read my posts instead of flying off the handle when you are proven wrong then you would know that I actually don't want this.
    But it's MMO Champion..if I don't fly off the handle in rage am I even doing it right? Also wasn't talking about literacy more like if you pay $10 an hour your going to get $10 an hour worth of work..haven't once talked about literacy more along the lines of a bunch of people who aren't going to give enough of a shit
    Last edited by Mysterymask; 2021-09-22 at 12:03 AM.

That would require them dealing with other countries' labor and other laws which is also a substantial drain on their resources and hiring people in the US/EU just to oversee what they do to not mess with their integrity. Not to mention, giving the ability to suspend/ban users would also be opening them up to security issues that they're likely already dealing with and trying to curb as-is.

Other countries may exist but there are reasons why they aren't just immediately looking elsewhere. This is just me speaking as an old GM of another MMORPG though, I could be wrong.

You guys know where there is 0 boosting? On private servers. Thats because the content is much easier. WoW needs to be less competitive and challenging and more fun again.
    Also the grinds need to be stopped. 10 +15 keys a week? Fuck that.

...so your basically suggesting Blizz have a shitty call center in India to do this
    I mean I rather they hire qualified people but this is blizzard. Rock bottom wages is their catch phrase.