Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    I'm more surprised that people don't get that servers at launch, for any game that's hyped, most likely will be strained.
    No one buys and set up infrastructure for the 1st day influx since that would be a waste of money after that first day...
    If only there were a way to scale infrastructure up and down on-demand like multiple providers offer...

Quote Originally Posted by Struggle View Post
    If only there were a way to scale infrastructure up and down on-demand like multiple providers offer...
    Still not reasonable for a single day.

For a single day hell no.

This isn't defending blizzard thing but an everyone thing. No one is going to stupidly throw their money at something to fix something that will fix itself in few hours time.

yeah as two above mentioned... no one is gonna do this for one day, not even a couple of days. But players can pretend to be surprised as much as they want, it's just fascinating that people don't understand that this will happen...always.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me etc etc... if you are acting surprised or complain about it I just feel like you got yourself to blame. Expect server issues on launch day.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

7+ Year Old Account
    For a big game there basically isn't a way to do that on day one with current technology, at least not in a way that guarantees there is no bugs and network issues.

It's kind of like thinking that every oil pipeline leak was caused by negligence when in reality it's virtually impossible to make sure everything is working perfect at all times with current technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    So... you bought it not 10 min before or 5 min after but EXACTLY at release?
    You did not preorder... or wait to check if its playable?
    What is point of that?
    Like who cares? If it's not playable, I'll log in tomorrow. If it's playable, I'll play now. I could also have bought it tomorrow, by that logic. But who the hell cares? It makes no difference either way for me or for blizzard.

What I didn't do was to preorder weeks ago. I actually waited for the beta testers to confirm that the game is allright. And it is, if it wasn't for the stupid prod server issues.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    For a big game there basically isn't a way to do that on day one with current technology, at least not in a way that guarantees there is no bugs and network issues.

It's kind of like thinking that every oil pipeline leak was caused by negligence when in reality it's virtually impossible to make sure everything is working perfect at all times with current technology.
    yeah as two above mentioned... no one is gonna do this for one day, not even a couple of days. But players can pretend to be surprised as much as they want, it's just fascinating that people don't understand that this will happen...always.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me etc etc... if you are acting surprised or complain about it I just feel like you got yourself to blame. Expect server issues on launch day.
    Other seasonal-based games don't have this problem. Hint at PoE. So it is 100% reasonable and affordable to do such a thing. Especially for Blizzard that has more than 1 game with regular updates.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Other seasonal-based games don't have this problem. Hint at PoE. So it is 100% reasonable and affordable to do such a thing. Especially for Blizzard that has more than 1 game with regular updates.
    Which ones were as big as a Blizzard game though? It's easy to have less issues when there is 20x less people who want to play together on day one.

Also Blizzard games tend to have more polish than other games which can add extra complexity to the game.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-09-23 at 08:31 PM.

Seasonal is not release hype...The amount who plays "Log in" at the moment it starts is way less than for a release.
    I can't think of any games that had stable servers on day 1 if there were any sort of hype to the game. I could obviously be wrong.

Depends heavily on actual numbers as well.
    There is a reason why DDOS attacks are effective. Due to the sheer numbers of requests. Now imagine hundreds of thousands or millions doing that being people instead of computer farms.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2021-09-23 at 08:28 PM.

Seasonal is not release hype...The amount who plays "Log in" at the moment it starts is way less than for a release.
    I can't think of any games that had stable servers on day 1 if there were any sort of hype to the game. I could obviously be wrong.

Depends heavily on actual numbers as well.
    Also IIRC didnt one of the most recent seasons of PoE have constant DC/login issues for like the first 24 hours? I remember a streamer I watch complaining about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Also IIRC didnt one of the most recent seasons of PoE have constant DC/login issues for like the first 24 hours? I remember a streamer I watch complaining about it.
    well, there you go. Not even PoE manage to make it.
    And yeah, I think ALL developers face this issue if the game is big enough.

Either way, the main point is. Why the hell are people surprised about this?

well, there you go. Not even PoE manage to make it.
    And yeah, I think ALL developers face this issue if the game is big enough.

Either way, the main point is. Why the hell are people surprised about this?
    People are not surprised, they are angry. Year after year, Blizzard patch after patch, the same issue. Server down. Again, they gotta get their shit together. And no this is not impossible.... Stop defending this shit.

People are not surprised, they are angry. Year after year, Blizzard patch after patch, the same issue. Server down. Again, they gotta get their shit together. And no this is not impossible.... Stop defending this shit.
    It's just coming terms with reality that shit happens.

It's like getting mad at your 86 yr old dad for shitting their pants. God, the horror, the shame. Or maybe just grow the fuck up and realize shit happens, and you don't gotta get angry every time it happens.

All developers struggle with this... even PoE.
    But sure, you can be mad about anything you want. I just find it very odd to be mad about something that is expected.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Poe almost always has connection problems on launch day they have only had like 1 League without them recently and thats because it had the lowest launch numbers of any recent league.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Poe almost always has connection problems on launch day they have only had like 1 League without them recently and thats because it had the lowest launch numbers of any recent league.
    In the last 6 leagues, I had 1 league, where I couldn't finish the campaign in the first 6 hours after the official release. And that wasn't because of server issues, but because GGG failed with their release preps. I'm sure I wasn't the lucky chosen one allowed to play.

Are you insane? PoE had some horrible league launches. You already forgot Ultimatum launch when almost noone could play for hours? You forgot the streamer queue priority drama? There was so many bad league launches in PoE that I wonder if you ever played it or just straight lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    Are you insane? PoE had some horrible league launches. You already forgot Ultimatum launch when almost noone could play for hours? You forgot the streamer queue priority drama? There was so many bad league launches in PoE that I wonder if you ever played it or just straight lying.
    That you have to pinpoint a single league start, that didn't work well, proofs my point. For Blizzard, it's the opposite.

That you have to pinpoint a single league start, that didn't work well, proofs my point. For Blizzard, it's the opposite.
    But Ritual was almost as bad as Ultimatum. Rest was not perfect also, constant DCS, short rollbacks and lag spikes. How many fuked league starts you need to admit PoE wasn't better with league launches?

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    But Ritual was almost as bad as Ultimatum. Rest was not perfect also, constant DCS, short rollbacks and lag spikes. How many fuked league starts you need to admit PoE wasn't better with league launches?
    I can only repeat myself. I had none of these issues. From time to time, I had a disconnect shortly after league start, that put me back in a 5-minute login queue, but that 5-minute downtime is nowhere near to be comparable to what blizzard does. If this had been the average PoE league I would be in yellow maps right now. Meanwhile, D2R had more downtime/rollbacks than you could actually play. A complete shit show.