Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Phrexians
    They definitely could have slid right into the Warcraft setting, replacing the Forsaken/Scourge/Legion, what with them being a horde of robo-zombies trying to take over the universe. Pretty memorable aesthetics too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Vrykul and Ogres, at their proper height, with a "crouch" toggle so they can fit through any door that a Zandalari or Kul Tiran can.
    I think it would have been cool if tall races like Ogres just couldn't fit into human sized buildings at all, let alone Gnome sized buildings. It would give playing different races more flavor. In the latest FFXIV expansion, Lalafell sized buildings were introduced that only Lalas could enter, which was cool (though I wish that was used more than it was). It'd also make the world feel more immersive if houses were scaled to the size of their occupants. The average size of a human peasant's house in WoW is ridiculous.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Neutral:
    Race: Reason/Addition:
    Goblin There should be an option for Goblins to pick their faction
    I suppose Goblins do work for the highest bidders, and the Alliance is far and away the wealthiest faction... but evidently the Alliance almost never employs Goblins in the entire franchise. Probably because they'd rather spend their money paying for Gnomish quality rather than for Goblin junk that goes haywire.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Neutral:
    Race: Reason/Addition:
    Ethereal There should be an option for Ethereals to pick their faction
    I know Etherals have always been a popular race option, but I struggle to think of a reason why they should care about the faction conflict on Azeroth. The Etherals can teleport to any world or dimension at will. That's why they're running a transdimmensional and intergalactic trading service in the first place, because that's more valuable to their time than fighting for some savage's war on some backwater planet. Maybe they could befriend a few people in the Horde or the Alliance, or might want to buy some land in Dun Morogh to build a vacation home, but he's not going to care to fight or quest. I guess there might be one exception to the rule who wants to go adventure across the universe and has decided to adventure on Azeroth for a time, but why would the Horde or the Alliance trust such a fickle person with valuable intelligence?

    Same problem with the Brokers (even though they're cool). Or really, any of the Shadowlands races. They've got better things to do than fight on Azeroth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx Vox View Post
    The Dark Covenant

    Named for the Warcraft 3 mission in which Lady Vashj recruits Kael'thas. Recruit Sylvanas and the Forsaken post-TFT.

    1. Blood Elves
    2. San'layn (as undead High-Elves)
    3. Forsaken (undead humans)
    Kael'thas and the elves aren't going to work with any Undead faction. The Undead destroyed their kingdom and nearly wiped out their entire race. Furthermore, Sylvanas is no better than the Lich King, doing everything he did in committing mass murder and enslaving people and comitting horrific human experimentation. The very things the Illidari fought against when they went to war with the Scourge in TFT.

    Thematically, the Forsaken joining the outcast faction makes sense, but logistically the Forsaken benefit little from joining these guys. Most of Illidan's forces are in Outland while the Forsaken are stuck on Azeroth, a completely different planet. The Dark Portal is stuck on the other side of the continent and the Forsaken would have to travel past a dozen different hostile Alliance kingdoms to reach it. It's the same problem with the Forsaken joining the Horde, where it is logistically impossible for one side to benefit from the other.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luck4 View Post
    Sorry Undead/Forsaken fans, but I don't like your race, your leaders, your lore, your cities.
    I think the undead are an integral part of Warcraft's soul. Unfortunately, the Forsaken storyline just wasn't setup well to make sense in a MMO where each player race has to be a part of a faction and there are only two. Sylvanas is just as evil as the Lich King, which means that realistically nobody wants to be her friend. And her faction is stuck in Northern EK and surrounded by a lot of powerful hostile nations that should be able to pretty easily wipe her out. She has nothing to provide to people on other continents or planets so they have no reason to help her out, and even if they did she's again stuck in Northern EK which makes it extremely difficult to provide aid to her.

    In order for the Forsaken to work in WoW, you need to rewrite TFT and either transplant them to another continent or world (ie, the Forsaken break free in Northrend, so they're not surrounded by a dozen different hostile kingdoms that would wipe her out overnight), and/or you have to make her not so ridiculously evil so she can plausibly forge alliances with other factions.

    Or you don't make a MMO, and you make Warcraft 4 and you can have as many different factions of varying different moralities and in different predicaments as you want.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-09-25 at 11:42 AM.

  2. #22
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    34,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I suppose Goblins do work for the highest bidders, and the Alliance is far and away the wealthiest faction... but evidently the Alliance almost never employs Goblins in the entire franchise. Probably because they'd rather spend their money paying for Gnomish quality rather than for Goblin junk that goes haywire.
    The Alliance apparently by lore has a lot of Goblins employed, many who fled because of Gallywix, and/or Garrosh, or Sylvanas.

    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I know Etherals have always been a popular race option, but I struggle to think of a reason why they should care about the faction conflict on Azeroth. The Etherals can teleport to any world or dimension at will. That's why they're running a transdimmensional and intergalactic trading service in the first place, because that's more valuable to their time than fighting for some savage's war on some backwater planet. Maybe they could befriend a few people in the Horde or the Alliance, or might want to buy some land in Dun Morogh to build a vacation home, but he's not going to care to fight or quest. I guess there might be one exception to the rule who wants to go adventure across the universe and has decided to adventure on Azeroth for a time, but why would the Horde or the Alliance trust such a fickle person with valuable intelligence?

    Same problem with the Brokers (even though they're cool). Or really, any of the Shadowlands races. They've got better things to do than fight on Azeroth.
    I just like Ethereals, and it would open a door for flavour as they are working closely with factions.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!

  3. #23
    Scarab Lord Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    4,819
    Outside of Humans and Orcs (and even they have reasons to cross factions).

    There is no strong reason to lock races to a faction in WoW outside of "That's just how it was in the RTS games."
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  4. #24
    Can I have pandaren druids instead?

  5. #25
    Vulpera on Alliance.
    - Everything that lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped in a never ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle… and wonder if we’ll ever get the chance to kill him.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Kael'thas and the elves aren't going to work with any Undead faction. The Undead destroyed their kingdom and nearly wiped out their entire race. Furthermore, Sylvanas is no better than the Lich King, doing everything he did in committing mass murder and enslaving people and comitting horrific human experimentation. The very things the Illidari fought against when they went to war with the Scourge in TFT.

    Thematically, the Forsaken joining the outcast faction makes sense, but logistically the Forsaken benefit little from joining these guys. Most of Illidan's forces are in Outland while the Forsaken are stuck on Azeroth, a completely different planet. The Dark Portal is stuck on the other side of the continent and the Forsaken would have to travel past a dozen different hostile Alliance kingdoms to reach it. It's the same problem with the Forsaken joining the Horde, where it is logistically impossible for one side to benefit from the other.
    Eh, I disagree on all points.

    1. I'd have the Forsaken join the Illidari and the Blood Elves right after TFT, at which point they have the same common enemy (the Lich King) and both are ostensibly hesitantly in league with demons (Kil'jaeden for the Illidari, Varimathras for the Forsaken).

    2. There is strength in such an alliance because they face the same kind of opposition, have a common bond (Illidan, Kael'thas, Vashj, and Sylvanas are all descended from Highborne elves, as are the satyr that Illidan brought with him), common enemies (the Lich King, the mortals/living who disapprove of fel / necromancy magic), and the same weak spot (in bed with demons who only want them for their own purposes).

    3. Pre-retcon, Illidan wouldn't give a damn about what Sylvanas does to the living because he's doing the same to the denizens of Outland. Meanwhile, Kael'thas wants revenge on Arthas and the Scourge, just the same as Sylvanas does, and Kael'thas is willing to dip into fel magic for it, so his morals are already questionable. They're a natural fit, and together they have the strength to withstand both the Legion and the Scourge, at least for some time.

    4. About logistics .. Illidan opens a portal between Azeroth and Outland multiple times with great ease, and the one at Dalaran is used by Kael'thas, demonstrating that the Illidari and the Forsaken can easily have a portal there if they want to and coordinate their logistics that way since there's nothing between Dalaran and Lordaeron to stop them.

    5. The main reason why I'd stick the Illidari and the Forsaken in the same faction, is because after the death of the Lich King the Forsaken's narrative reaches a dead end unless they are part of another faction, such as the Illidari, and can join the fight against the Legion properly. Which makes sense, because after all it was the Legion that created the Scourge in the first place.

    6. I will concede though that the Forsaken as a faction can have a continued narrative arc after the death of the Lich King if the Shadowlands are introduced much earlier on than they were in retail, but without an alliance between the Forsaken and the Illidari that leaves the Illidari narratively stranded with regards to any Shadowlands material .. again confirming that it's better to have both of them allied in the first place.

    In conclusion: the Illidari and the Forsaken have more commonalities than differences.
    Last edited by Jinx Vox; 2021-09-25 at 05:54 PM.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Outside of Humans and Orcs (and even they have reasons to cross factions).

    There is no strong reason to lock races to a faction in WoW outside of "That's just how it was in the RTS games."
    Exactly. The division of "Horde" & "Alliance" should have died years ago. In terms of playability it has basically just turned into the Horde, and a few small groups of Alliance players anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •