Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Would you like to go back to where all of Molten Core was immune to fire damage?

"Well, this dungeon is made up of ghosts, guess I'll just go home and reroll." -warriors

Gameplay reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by orderchaos View Post
    How does that make any sense? A warrior attacking a ghost with his sword? It wouldn't do any damage. It would go right through.

So Blizzard covers up Sylvanas' belly, because an archer can't leave her belly exposed, we need to change that for REALISM'S sake, but warriors slashing away at ghosts, that's perfectly reasonable?
    Yeah, that will be fun, a "Kill 10 ghosts"-quest that's impossible for warriors, rogues, and probably monks, because REALISM!

How does that make any sense? A warrior attacking a ghost with his sword? It wouldn't do any damage. It would go right through.

So Blizzard covers up Sylvanas' belly, because an archer can't leave her belly exposed, we need to change that for REALISM'S sake, but warriors slashing away at ghosts, that's perfectly reasonable?
    Thought she covered her belly because of the wound she got by dying in Icecrown.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Thought she covered her belly because of the wound she got by dying in Icecrown.
    An undead should take some pride in her appearance.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Oh, I remember Metzen giving an interview during which he explained how his little kid asked him once "daddy why this lade has bare belly" or something like that. And APPARENTLY that was the reason.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

The game is supposed to be fun to play. Not make perfect sense story-wise. There's your answer.

Oh and the lore part is actually kind of outside of the game, so it makes sense to change things strictly for the lore.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2021-09-25 at 03:08 PM.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

10+ Year Old Account
    its so that the video game can happen...

10+ Year Old Account

Gameplay =/= lore.

You can harm them with physical hits because the gameplay does not always translate to lore. And if one were to take it into account, then imagine all weapons having a base + Dmg to Undead enchanted.

I mean, if it is a problem, then we can go bigger and ponder how our little swords can penetrate the scales of a dragon? Because, gameplay =/= lore.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account

One is a gameplay concession to necessity by rote of taking place in an MMORPG, one was a change brought on for lore considerations (for better or worse). Warriors in lore still have plenty of trouble putting a dent in ghosts and other spirits, but it would be a problem fast among the general playerbase if you had to keep a full kit of specialized Ghost Touch gear in your bags just in the event you go somewhere with a lot of ghosts, shades, or wraiths. Even in D&D few parties maintain entire sets of Ghost Touch equipment, rather just having one or two specialized items like an enchanted bow or sword, and rely on other means to defend themselves like potions of Mage Armor, unless you're explicitly in a spirit-heavy campaign.

So the answer is, "It's logical because it's a gameplay concession completely segregated from the story, like eating food to regenerate hit points or how you're fully healed from near-death by running around for five minutes, or how you can be resurrected from death by any random asshole passing by while it's treated like a huge accomplishment when Anduin resurrected Varian in their short story, or how you can just run back to your corpse if you die."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Oh, I remember Metzen giving an interview during which he explained how his little kid asked him once "daddy why this lade has bare belly" or something like that. And APPARENTLY that was the reason.
    Basically, he couldn't think of a good answer a young child couldn't poke holes in, so he decided to steer into it and give her more sensible armor, as he told it.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Well, in traditional folklore spirits and fae are harmed by iron so? Then again, it’s a fantasy based former rpg with magic and stuff so why not smack a ghost down with you sword

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Same sense as it is to make them bleed.

It's just for the game-play.
    Back in Vanilla Elementals and Ghosts couldn't bleed, Fire Elementals were immune to fire damage etc.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Magic weapons

So how does that make any sense?
    It doesn’t make sense but WoW values gameplay above lore. Which is also why Ragnaros can be killed with fire damage.

If you go down the route of more lore realism then you have to be prepared to pay a hefty price in class balance.

Ahh the real complaint

Please go outside and touch some grass

Magic sword, that could hurt ghost? Really, not that hard.

Same reason you can kill rock monsters with a sword. How many hits would it take to break a rock with a sword? Would that sword still be good after beating on a rock?
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by zaxlor View Post
    Back in Vanillas, "bleed" effects wouldn't harm Undead monsters. I remember this pretty clearly, while leveling up a Feral Druid in Darkshore - None of the skeletons could be hit by the Cat forms bleed dots. I can't remember what patch it was, but it was later taken out.
    This is true and I miss that even though it was a bit more to keep in mind when dealing with different enemies. These were elements of an rpg and lent more immersion to the game that made intuitive sense. The problem is; how do you solve giving different classes what they need to compete in dps without requiring them to spend a lot of time to make a weapon drop that could go obsolete quickly then requiring another long rng grind. If you put it in the talents then that means they are required to use it sometimes which means that other classes that don't need to change talents may have higher dps giving them higher priority in groups. This is why single player rpgs are a better rpg experience and will always be that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    People quit Everquest because they could not kill enemies because of their class.

WoW was like 'yeah ok give us money and you can'
    But at the start you still couldn't do fire damage to fire elementals (and similar).. At least they fixed that, even if it's really stupid from a lore pov

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Yeah, that will be fun, a "Kill 10 ghosts"-quest that's impossible for warriors, rogues, and probably monks, because REALISM!
    While the castors are killing the ghosts, the warriors, rogues and monks can kill boars in Elwynn forest, but seriously, it would be cool to have class based quests that would give the same rewards for killing different things and the physical things would be more resistant to castors because...screw it, mmorpgs are doomed.

No, how does that make any sense logically.
    Im not familiar with anything the Warcraft lore that you can't physically attack a ghosts. I mean Ghosts are physically attacking you so its I cant imagine why you can hit them back. That being said you character is equipped with magical weapons and armor that make you stronger and smarter so I can't see how this is an issue.

Gameplay wise it would be terrible if certain classes got the shaft in raids and dungeons because they can't deal damage against certain mobs. This isn't a final fantasy game where casting raise on an undead enemy instant kills them, or where casting fire magic on a fire elemental heals them it would be a mess.