Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    What even is this a response to?
    He means the thread as a whole, and how people get butthurt and instantly call out "YEAH IF YOU BEEN PLAYING FOR 20 YEARS, OR SOSO, OR HAMMERDIN" and whatever other excuse in order to counter-argue.

The game is literally the same the past 20 years, if you are gonna play online and not make a MFer as your first character you are just wasting everyone's time and especially yours.

The rest is the same stuff since forever, some classes have a hard time at Normal till they start scaling cause of 1.10 changes into easy mode like Sors/Javazon, some others are always easy mode like Trap Sin, and some others always get cancer like Barbs cause they dont have much AoE even when they get WW.

The game literally has 1 way to be played correctly when it comes to playing online and thats MFer-->Tristamer-->Quit or make a Pvper.-->Quit after.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    He means the thread as a whole, and how people get butthurt and instantly call out "YEAH IF YOU BEEN PLAYING FOR 20 YEARS, OR SOSO, OR HAMMERDIN" and whatever other excuse in order to counter-argue.

The game is literally the same the past 20 years, if you are gonna play online and not make a MFer as your first character you are just wasting everyone's time and especially yours.

The rest is the same stuff since forever, some classes have a hard time at Normal till they start scaling cause of 1.10 changes into easy mode like Sors/Javazon, some others are always easy mode like Trap Sin, and some others always get cancer like Barbs cause they dont have much AoE even when they get WW.

The game literally has 1 way to be played correctly when it comes to playing online and thats MFer-->Tristamer-->Quit or make a Pvper.-->Quit after.
    That is the most efficient path, yes, but I don't think people who enjoy the game and argue it has more depth than, say, D3, make it toxic.

That is the most efficient path, yes, but I don't think people who enjoy the game and argue it has more depth than, say, D3, make it toxic.
    Everyone uses the word toxic for everything now days so it can be wildly interpreted, even stating 1+3 = 4 is toxic because you didnt count 1+1+1+1 which is politically correct (dumb example but you get the point).

But claiming games from 20 years ago have any depth, especially D2.

Yes. I think you didn't finish that sentence. But, yes. I am. And many many people play this game for years without end. Make streaming careers off of it and play weekly speedruns with any class, through the entirety of Hell.

You don't need a MFer class and the game has a lot of depth.

For example, you could just make a Lower Kurast runner and never, ever have to find magic items.

Either way, I do not intend to keep discussing this opinion. I would rather help out that one person who is getting stuck before Hell.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying. So you agree with them? the game is easy but only when you know exactly what to do?

not sure how there being a most efficient way to deal with a difficult game makes it not difficult. Most people consider dark souls to be difficult. Dark souls is extremely easy, however, if you go a strength build and know where to find the two-hander with the best strength scaling in the game. This is pretty well-known by most of the community, but people don't really go around calling dark souls easy and using that as their reasoning because it'd be pretty fucking stupid.

Surely you understand how that is even more stupid when your "correct" way of playing the game means playing a character you don't really like andthen spending several dozen hours magic finding?

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what you're saying. So you agree with them? the game is easy but only when you know exactly what to do?

not sure how there being a most efficient way to deal with a difficult game makes it not difficult. Most people consider dark souls to be difficult. Dark souls is extremely easy, however, if you go a strength build and know where to find the two-hander with the best strength scaling in the game. This is pretty well-known by most of the community, but people don't really go around calling dark souls easy and using that as their reasoning because it'd be pretty fucking stupid.

Surely you understand how that is even more stupid when your "correct" way of playing the game means playing a character you don't really like andthen spending several dozen hours magic finding?
    What.

Its D2, its how the game is designed, aka there is no design because its a 1999 game and balance is non-existent.

9/10 abilities on all trees are useless trash abilities, and it took them 3 years to come up with 1.10, 19 years ago? where you are forced to max them in order for the 1 relevant ability to do anything.

I was 14 years old when i played Sors and saw "Blaze and Inferno" or "Chilling Armor" and "Frost Nova" and went "WTF", it doesnt take experience and brains to realize some things are there just for the fake variety of choice but they are absolutely worthless trash.

Common sense and reading isnt game experience, if my 14 year old self could do it 20 years ago, why cant people now?
    Last edited by potis; 2021-10-24 at 11:39 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    lol seriously? When was Chess or Go invented? If you're not the fastest person to kill hardcore Baal in hell mode that means the game has more depth than you currently understand. You shouldn't make excuses for why you're not rank #1.

Of course if you're busy and simply don't have any time to play competitively then that's perfectly reasonable.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-10-25 at 04:21 PM.

What.

Its D2, its how the game is designed
    Why would you play a Sorc or a Hammerdin if you don't like those classes? Pretty much definition of stupidity right there to do something you don't like while you're playing a video game of which the sole purpose is entertainment. I started with a Barb 20 years ago and I started with a Barb in D2R and I've had a blast, + I am geared to the balls without playing any other classes or using trading sites.

The only way you're wasting your time on D2 is if you play something you have no interest in or take no enjoyment from. I can solo all content comfortably, have enjoyed the game a lot and I have only played Barbarian. My berserker Barb has over 250% MF over 300% gold find and can loot mobs twice using item find, Travi Council members die in 1 hit on Hell, I can solo Ubers and farm every bit of content in the game.

Sorc has its advantages, especially early on in a ladder but who are you trying to impress? There is literally no point to playing a class you don't enjoy.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Why would you play a Sorc or a Hammerdin if you don't like those classes? Pretty much definition of stupidity right there to do something you don't like while you're playing a video game of which the sole purpose is entertainment. I started with a Barb 20 years ago and I started with a Barb in D2R and I've had a blast, + I am geared to the balls without playing any other classes or using trading sites.

The only way you're wasting your time on D2 is if you play something you have no interest in or take no enjoyment from. I can solo all content comfortably, have enjoyed the game a lot and I have only played Barbarian. My berserker Barb has over 250% MF over 300% gold find and can loot mobs twice using item find, Travi Council members die in 1 hit on Hell, I can solo Ubers and farm every bit of content in the game.

Sorc has its advantages, especially early on in a ladder but who are you trying to impress? There is literally no point to playing a class you don't enjoy.
    Except for the one line where you throw in another insult to another person, seems to be a trend with you, I do actually fully agree with the core of this post. After my sorceress RIP'd, I did actually make another Sorceress, but my heart wasn't in it, so I continued through Hell with my Javazon and it was a blast. it's been rough in some places, but that adds to the challenge. Now I'm going to balance my resistances a bit with my MF and try to do Shenk + Pindle + Lower Kurast + Cows in one game.

And if I feel like I'm missing out, I'll roll something else.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2021-10-26 at 09:51 AM.

Except for the one line where you throw in another insult to another person, seems to be a trend with you, I do actually fully agree with the core of this post. After my sorceress RIP'd, I did actually make another Sorceress, but my heart wasn't in it, so I continued through Hell with my Javazon and it was a blast. it's been rough in some places, but that adds to the challenge. Now I'm going to balance my resistances a bit with my MF and try to do Shenk + Pindle + Lower Kurast + Cows in one game.

And if I feel like I'm missing out, I'll roll something else.
    I wasn't insulting him personally, just calling out the stupidity of the logic in a general sense, so If you want I'm insulting everyone who thinks that way. But really it's just because he replied to Beastiel's very reasonable post with rudeness and arrogance, and you can't just be reasonable and soft when making your point to someone who feels so strongly about what they say that they can't be reasonable, exactly as I have replied to your posts when you insult me.

But yep otherwise we agree, there is so much more to the game than playing it in the way you've been told is "correct". I think following the mould is pointless because there is no end goal you're trying to reach or any competitive aspect, the value of the game is within the overall experience. For me that is about playing Barbarian, and to a lesser extent also Amazon and some melee Druid/Pala builds.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I'm not complaining. I'm playing well despite the lack of time.

7+ Year Old Account
    What level, spec, class? Solo/single player?

I would recommend doing Baalruns in NM until about lvl 84, especially for new players (and in general, unless you're filthy rich and can take the punch of dying, or if you are speedrunning). Make sure you stack up on resistance and hp charms, gear, etc. Try to be capped on RES, or as high as you can get it for hell. If you're doing multiplayer, do Baalruns in multiplayer and try to catch games that go through Hell.

There's a balance between difficulty and playercount, so you need to be extra careful, but at the same time, having multiple elements working together will make going through hell a lot easier.

Try to avoid immune monsters, this can be especially hard in the underground passage of A1, or the Arcane Sanctuary in A2, various dungeons in A3. You can quit the game and start again to reroll some mob combinations, but you could be unlucky often.

I would help you if my Sorceress hadn't gotten RIP'd yesterday. Now, I'm in the same boat as you are :P
    Thanks for the tips, I'm still making progress it's just going slow because I have more fun figuring out the game on my own instead of looking at the highest performing players. My highest level character right now is an elemental druid at level 76. I haven't used any respecs yet so I think I'm going to try out the werebear for a while before I get serious for hell mode. Also I like playing with my grizzly bear companion and for the druid the Oak Sage and Heart of Wolverine both seem so good that I want them both out at the same time!

Progression seems pretty good in this game because every time you think you're stuck you can eventually find a better gear piece, better charms, upgrade your mercenary, etc. I kind of prefer D2's dumb/random loot system compared to D3 because it's fantastic for gearing up all your characters/classes regardless of which one you're playing. For people who only want to stick to one class it's not great.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-11-01 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Thanks for the tips, I'm still making progress it's just going slow because I have more fun figuring out the game on my own instead of looking at the highest performing people. My main character right now is an elemental druid at level 76. I haven't used any respecs yet so I think I'm going to try out the werebear for a while before I get serious for hell mode. Also I like playing with my grizzly bear companion and for the druid the Oak Sage and Heart of Wolverine both seem so good that I want them both out at the same time!

Progression seems pretty good in this game because every time you think you're stuck you can eventually find a better gear piece, better charms, upgrade your mercenary, etc. I kind of prefer D2's dumb/random loot system compared to D3 because it's fantastic for gearing up all your characters/classes regardless of which one you're playing. For people who only want to stick to one class it's not great.
    I said level 84, but I would do 76 to 78 before you go to hell. Just make sure you did all the A5 Anya quests (norm & nm) for the extra resistance, and have about 50+ resistance for every element.

It's less scary than it seems, yet at the same time it's lulling you to sleep and suddenly you're dead on the floor, so.. don't get suckered into thinking it's easy. Elemental Druid is reasonable good in Hell, due to the multiple elements (physical and cold, most likely).

7+ Year Old Account
    I said level 84, but I would do 76 to 78 before you go to hell.
    lol I know I haven't gotten there yet, I only have so much time per day where I don't have to watch my kids and also I've been leveling all the classes a little bit so that they can wear legendaries that drop on my main char.
    Just make sure you did all the A5 Anya quests (norm & nm) for the extra resistance, and have about 50+ resistance for every element.
    Ya quest rewards are a nice bonus.

For charms I prioritize high resistance above everything else. How many open/filled slots do you prefer playing with in your inventory? I've been playing with 40% open slots for collecting and selling staves, wands, and rares.
    It's less scary than it seems, yet at the same time it's lulling you to sleep and suddenly you're dead on the floor, so.. don't get suckered into thinking it's easy. Elemental Druid is reasonable good in Hell, due to the multiple elements (physical and cold, most likely).
    Hardcore is scary but that's what makes it fun. For me if I drop below 50% life I try to move back a waypoint until I can clear a zone without getting close to low life. I haven't found anything that saves my character "on fatality" like in D3, that makes it feel so much more risky.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-11-02 at 08:14 AM.

What.

Its D2, its how the game is designed, aka there is no design because its a 1999 game and balance is non-existent.

9/10 abilities on all trees are useless trash abilities, and it took them 3 years to come up with 1.10, 19 years ago? where you are forced to max them in order for the 1 relevant ability to do anything.

I was 14 years old when i played Sors and saw "Blaze and Inferno" or "Chilling Armor" and "Frost Nova" and went "WTF", it doesnt take experience and brains to realize some things are there just for the fake variety of choice but they are absolutely worthless trash.

Common sense and reading isnt game experience, if my 14 year old self could do it 20 years ago, why cant people now?
    Hell my 25 YO ass did it and didn't pay much attention to all the depth. Had more than enough HP after a certain point where hit recovery was meaningless. A major design point of the gsme negated by me just wanting to be a high HP tank of a Paladin. Didn't even pay attention. Just got my str up as needed for some items and kept my dodge at that 75% the rest went for health. And this was before anyone figured anything out.

My clueless ass just played the game through 3 difficulties not paying attention.

Just getting through D2 isn't very hard.

The difficulty comes in playing it EFFICIENTLY, which is the only way really to get good drops in a reasonable amount of time.

Any ol' build can just bumble their way through Hell, some will be easier some harder but none will be, like, backbreaking difficulty. But farming efficiently takes a considerable amount of knowledge.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Hell my 25 YO ass did it and didn't pay much attention to all the depth. Had more than enough HP after a certain point where hit recovery was meaningless. A major design point of the gsme negated by me just wanting to be a high HP tank of a Paladin. Didn't even pay attention. Just got my str up as needed for some items and kept my dodge at that 75% the rest went for health. And this was before anyone figured anything out.

My clueless ass just played the game through 3 difficulties not paying attention.
    Softcore or hardcore? I don't know how anyone could just breeze through hell mode because isn't there multiple scenarios where you could go from full life to zero life in less than a couple seconds?
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-11-02 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Softcore or hardcore? I don't know how anyone could just breeze through hell mode because isn't there multiple scenarios where you could go from full life to zero life in less than a couple seconds?
    Softcore of course. Never bothered with any hardcore. Yes I died a lot on Hell. Did some minimal farming here and there for some resistance gear and what not when things were obviously wrecking me. But for the most part I just used portal hopping to restock pots and resurrect my mercenary on bosses until they were dead.

But that's some of the brilliance of Blizzard games, you don't need to understand the deeper systems to play or be successful, however, those that do, can do things much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post

Hahaha, clueless indeed. First of all, you died a lot, while boasting that you didn't need FHR or more health hahaahha
    Yes I died a lot on Hell.
    Second, you think the Paladin has a lot of HP.
    Third, only the Amazon has dodge.
    Fourth, doesn't even play HC, because "scoff", but pretends that "the brilliance of Blizzard games" is that you can die a lot but still make it through and call it easy, hahahahahahaa.

Oh my, you definitely lack a mirror.

Hahaha, clueless indeed. First of all, you died a lot, while boasting that you didn't need FHR or more health hahaahha

Second, you think the Paladin has a lot of HP.
    Third, only the Amazon has dodge.
    Fourth, doesn't even play HC, because "scoff", but pretends that "the brilliance of Blizzard games" is that you can die a lot but still make it through and call it easy, hahahahahahaa.

Oh my, you definitely lack a mirror.
    Considering I never had it on my items as far as I can remember and still cleared hell, yup.