Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

People forget 1 thing comparing WoW against any other MMORPG

The Sub model.

WoW is still the dominant leader of the MMORPG market even though it has been in decline for 10 years now.
    Comparing WoW vs any other MMORPG whatever seems a bit silly, not only are those MMORPG in their prime in their life while WoW is in its worst state possible.

WoW is also not F2P or B2P like those others MMORPG.

Imagine if WoW Went F2P, my bet is that WoW could easily pop over 10-20 million active users once the payment barrier is gone.

I doubt any MMORPG reaches 25% of that.

Don't you think WoW always has a back up plan? F2P. (They can make money anyhow through cash shop like any other game)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Drum roll please................

FF14.

That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow is far from the only game with a subscription model, even in the West. In the East, it's small potatoes in the MMO scene, especially in China where most MMORPGs are played on mobile phones or at internet cafes and payment models are done by the hour due to the country's strict rules on time spent gaming per week.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

People keep spewing f2p as a 'final solution' for WoW, but i feel we're so, so far from anything remotely drastic as that.

I'll remind you that Shadowlands was the highest PC selling game by release, ever. And next expansion, regardless of quality, will have renewed interest from players, even if they don't play further than a few months. That alone is enough to keep justifying development.

So, let's stop with the WoW F2p shenanigans, at least for a while longer.

(And lots of other games with subscriptions... i don't get where you got WoW being the only one)
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2021-09-27 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    The Sub model.

WoW is still the dominant leader of the MMORPG market even though it has been in decline for 10 years now.
    Comparing WoW vs any other MMORPG whatever seems a bit silly, not only are those MMORPG in their prime in their life while WoW is in its worst state possible.

WoW is also not F2P or B2P like those others MMORPG.

Imagine if WoW Went F2P, my bet is that WoW could easily pop over 10-20 million active users once the payment barrier is gone.

I doubt any MMORPG reaches 25% of that.

Don't you think WoW always has a back up plan? F2P. (They can make money anyhow through cash shop like any other game)
    WoW would not increase in playerbase simply because the main reason that ppl stop playing the game is lack of content, F2P model would mean even less WoW content and playerbase would drop even harder, WoW is old and doesnt really add anything new thats why it loses players.

The main reason WoW done so well is there was not many options when it released so it took all the MMO players and once you have time invested in a game you are more likely to keep going back.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    People keep spewing f2p as a 'final solution' for WoW, but i feel we're so, so far from anything remotely drastic as that.

I'll remind you that Shadowlands was the highest PC selling game by release, ever. And next expansion, regardless of quality, will have renewed interest from players, even if they don't play further than a few months. That alone is enough to keep justifying development.

(And lots of other games with subscriptions... i don't get where you got WoW being the only one)
    Shadowlands was not the highest PC selling game by release, it was claimed to just be the fastest according to day 1 sales numbers and thats it, shadowlands is probably lucky to have even half the sales WOTLK had in total. Day 1 sales dont really mean all that much tbh.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-09-27 at 10:34 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post

FF14.

That is all.

Pretty much this lol and FFXIV is closing the gap very fast lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Nope. When games go F2P is when their quality declines (or declines even further, with the past few that have done so). And then game goes to life support before finally being shut down entirely.
    If I don't respond to something you tagged me in, assume one of two things.
    1) Your post was too stupid to acknowledge, or
    2) Your post is cringe and not worth replying to.

Alternatively, if it happens a lot I probably have you blocked due to one of the above things. Thank you.

Um......what? The highest selling PC game of all time? Good God man where did you come up with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Um......what? The highest selling PC game of all time? Good God man where did you come up with that?
    Can't you read?

Highest selling PC game by release, or launch, with nearly 4M copies. Again, by launch.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...me-of-All-Time

You put so much effort into your mmo-c account, might as well read what you're replying to, i reckon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    snip
    Day 1 sales don't matter? Seriously? Not even to gauge the playerbase interest in a product? Alrighty then.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Yes, Blizz PR told you that they are still the dominant leader. And despite erasing all evidence of that claim shortly after WoD launched, you accept that claim uncritically.

Meanwhile, those who've tried their best to find actual numbers find that WoW is not actually number 1 anymore.

FFXIV is running with 2 to 3 times more active players than WoW Retail...which means even WoW total (Retail + Classic) has fewer active players than FFXIV. Heck, Old School Runescape is running at about 50% more active players than WoW Retail.

Guess what...FFXIV also has a subscription fee.

Stop mindlessly accepting corporate PR. Stop thinking that your belief is the same thing as reality. You still love the game...good for you. Don't let the fact that the game of your choosing isn't considered the absolute best drive you to ridiculous claims. Is your ego so fragile?

Can't you read?

Highest selling PC game by release, or launch, with nearly 4M copies. Again, by launch.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...me-of-All-Time

You put so much effort into your mmo-c account, might as well read what you're replying to, i reckon.

- - - Updated - - -

Day 1 sales don't matter? Seriously? Not even to gauge the playerbase interest in a product? Alrighty then.
    People who play WoW are going to buy it, larger day 1 sales just means the players are unsure to even buy the game at all, so they are leaving it to the last minute and probably only buy it because they have nothing better to do.

How many pre ordered the game is a number that actually shows interest in the game or not.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Free to play sounds really good - on paper.

May I suggest:a video by Joshua Strife Hayes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSbGLq9p4yY

FF14.

That is all.
    Still no as good as wow

IMO the free to play model totally works against a lot of the core of what MMOs should be all about. If you think the WoW store is bad - just image a free MMO.

It will be a main goal of the dev team to create arbitrary problems that they then sell you solutions to.

Also... cosmetics. I don't want cosmetics to be about how much money you have IRL. It should reflect achievements made in-game. I think that's going to be one of the main struggles that Ashes of Creation will have.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Pretty much this lol and FFXIV is closing the gap very fast lol.
    Without a Token so everyone has to shell out $12/month minimum, $15/month if they want multiple characters on a server, and also with addons per month for essentially extra bank space.

Knew as soon as I saw the thread title that this was going to be a case of "someone doesn't understand the competition" and lo and behold it was.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

FF14.

That is all.
    Would you like to contribute something? Anything? Context is a wonderful thing. You should try using some sometime. Especially if you're going to mock other peoples' grammar in your signature.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    Would you like to contribute something? Anything? Context is a wonderful thing. You should try using some sometime. Especially if you're going to mock other peoples' grammar in your signature.
    Multiple people quoted it before you....I'd say that's a contribution. Calm down bud.

I'm on the smart side of the spectrum so using the context already provided in the post was pretty easy. Would YOU like to add anything?

OT: F2P will just never happen, but I certainly wouldn't mind it.
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

What are you smoking?

WoWs lifetime sales don't even get them into top 5.

Even if it went F2P the core foundation for player experience, especially new player experience are so bad now that it would actively discourage new players from playing leaving it no better than it is now.