Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Would Anyone Else Appreciate an Official Addon Manager from Blizzard?

In all my years of playing World of Warcraft, i've always hated the fact we have to go to external websites to get addons. Not only has the occasional virus or rootkit make it's way into said addons, but then the means in which they are supported have also constantly changed. CurseForge,TwitchAPP, WoWInterface, TukUI etc.

Today it finally occured to me...why on earth hasn't Blizzard just made an official BattleNET addon manger? This way addons would all have to be manually screened to make sure they're safe on top of having one secure spot to get them instead of several that we have now.
    Last edited by LCDArcade; 2021-09-28 at 12:10 AM.

Probably because Blizz will attempt to monetize them and screw the addon devs. Add in basically taking a monopoly on add-ons and you'll see the issues rising

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    If I don't respond to something you tagged me in, assume one of two things.
    1) Your post was too stupid to acknowledge, or
    2) Your post is cringe and not worth replying to.

Alternatively, if it happens a lot I probably have you blocked due to one of the above things. Thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they don't want the liability or responsibility for products created by third parties.

It would certainly be convenient if it was built right into the bnet client, but I don't see it happening.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by itzLCD View Post
    In all my years of playing World of Warcraft, i've always hated the fact we have to go to external websites to get addons. Not only has the occasional virus or rootkit make it's way into said addons, but then the means in which they are supported have also constantly changed. CurseForge,TwitchAPP, WoWInterface, TukUI etc.

Today it finally occured to me...why on earth hasn't Blizzard just made an official BattleNET addon manger? This way addons would all have to be manually screened to make sure they're safe on top of having one secure spot to get them instead of several that we have now.
    No thanks. That means they have to stand responsible for the products as well as the maker of it, and it would take away more from the community.

Would be handy but not sure it would be good in the long run.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Why? CurseFOrge is working marvelously. Why would i switch to something they have no experience in whatsoever?

Like the horrible voice chat they implemented

5+ Year Old Account
    Rather than an official add ons manager, I would prefer a significant rework of the existing UI, baking what at this point is pretty much a requirement (e.g. Healbot for raiders) into the base UI and outright banning everything else. It's ridiculous that they have to design raid fights knowing that pretty much everything can be "cheesed" with DBM or especially WA.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Because they don't want the liability or responsibility for products created by third parties.

It would certainly be convenient if it was built right into the bnet client, but I don't see it happening.
    This. It is a can of worms they'll surely never open.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love this but cannot imagine that Blizzard has any interest in validating and hosting add-ons (which they would need to do). That opens up a can of worms that is just asking for problems since they are responsible for the game. Never mind how people would blame Blizzard if an add-on author that was being hosted by them decided to stop supporting a popular add-on. Why would anyone want to open that Pandora's Box?
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely hell no.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Like others said, it would be useful, but it's work and responsibility on Blizzard that isn't worth it for them (or they would have done it).

This is sort of a similar situation to the default UI. The 15 years old UI they provide makes playing the game efficiently impossible, it doesn't inform you of basic mechanics of your class, the encounters or the enemies, not to mention the situation with healing and dispelling. Yet they don't invest in a revamp since the community has ample tools already that do the work for Blizzard and they aren't responsible if it bugs or glitches or how you download and update it.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Rather than an official add ons manager, I would prefer a significant rework of the existing UI, baking what at this point is pretty much a requirement (e.g. Healbot for raiders) into the base UI and outright banning everything else. It's ridiculous that they have to design raid fights knowing that pretty much everything can be "cheesed" with DBM or especially WA.
    You literally don’t need a single add on to heal lol

Because Blizzard hates addons, anything to do with mods. They hate, hate player creativity. Also they would likely ruin the addon scene with it.

If anything Blizzard should pay good money to addon dev's. Without addons wow would suck ass, nobody would like to play wow, but addon dev's gets nothing from Blizzard.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

I'd rather see WoW without addons.
    That would be interesting honestly.

Let's be honest. Addons give them free R&D and community feedback without liability. If something is extremely popular they can just add it into the game. If something is broken they can end it and blame "the other guy". Probably the reason the modern base UI has evolved so far from its old spot is addons. Not just in WoW but across all tab target based games. If you turned every addon you had off right now you still would be running like 20 of them that were just added into the game over the years that are just now considered base. But the minute Blizzard slaps an official logo on it they are in the blame game. They probably are putting money out to hoest and in some degree develop them. All things they want nothing to do with because they have the perfect arrangement now. Anything that is put in by others can be basically taken and used to their own devices. For nothing.

I would apreciate them banning them instead, except for UI cosmetic ones and damage meter. But hey... that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    I would apreciate them banning them instead, except for UI cosmetic ones and damage meter. But hey... that's me.
    Seconded, addons are one of the worst parts of the game and have enabled lazy UI development.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

15+ Year Old Account
    i would love to get rid of add-ons from WoW entirely, sure they fill a purpose but it has also enabled blizzard to do close to no UI changes since the game launched...

I can't imagine a world where current Blizzard could create a program like WowUp without somehow cramming an advert for Call of Duty into it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pum View Post
    You literally don’t need a single add on to heal lol
    Good for you. You could always toggle it off in that case

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    I can't imagine a world where current Blizzard could create a program like WowUp without somehow cramming an advert for Call of Duty into it.
    WowUp is great! I especially like the fact that it has a lovely, VERY easy to use Linux port.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.