Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I really like Dwarves, I can't speak highly enough about them

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Each Dwarven kingdom by itself could make war with any other nation in the setting and have a good chance of winning. All three kingdoms by themselves are a superpower unto themselves.

• The Three Dwarven Kingdoms were not wrecked during any war. Still have their populations intact (whereas most Horde races are small tribes of hunter gatherers, and most other Alliance races are refugees of ruined kingdoms).
    • Can build automatons, and the Dark Iron dwarves can employ fire elementals, further bolstering their numbers with strong and expendable forces.
    • The Dwarven make use of tanks and machineguns that would rip most other militaries and fortresses to shreds. The physical strength of an Orc or a Tauren counts for nothing when they have grapefruit sized holes in their chest.
    • Has airship technology that enables rapid deployment and withdraw. Can also conduct bombing campaigns.
    • Wildhammer Dwarves breed griffins to ride, again allows for fast attacks that few can defend against.

The only race that really has the Dwarves beat are the Draenei with their spaceships, shield generators, and death star lasers.

- - - Updated - - -

Draenei and Worgen are physically stronger. Draenei are also far more advanced than the Dwarves. Gnomes also invented nuclear technology and teleporters.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't need sea ships when you have airships that go faster, can fly over land, can fly high enough to be out of reach of the enemy, have machineguns that shoot down anyone who does try to approach, and can drop bombs on anything below.

- - - Updated - - -

IIRC Draenei are physically stronger but Worgen are definitely more agile.

- - - Updated - - -

Druids were always a Night Elf exclusive class. Making them available to the Tauren and the Trolls didn't really make sense, IMO. Nor does it make sense for Dwarves to know them. Besides, Dwarves already have plenty of unique stuff, like their engineering, their runesmiths, their Griffin riders, etc.
    I am not certain of that, the beast form stuff of druids contains quite an absurd boost of physical power.
    Logically speaking i side with you, but taking that that magic into account i am not sure.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    I was not sure it would look good on profile, but I could think about it. Can't get worse than trying to draw the goblin mechabear. Which is just an nightmare with all those parts.
    Or a goblin-esque face on a bear's body which sounds like nightmare fuel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Give it horns, maybe tentacles behind ears.

Presto, draenei Druid forms done.
    Also perhaps some sort of crystal adornments and maybe a bit more pronounced tail as opposed to other bear forms. More of a tail than the Zandalari guardian form as well. Although I could see that looking strange on a bear
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2021-09-30 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post
    Or a goblin-esque face on a bear's body which sounds like nightmare fuel.
    Oh yeah, I can't imagine that xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to bump this, but I wanted to post in here a while back but completely forgot...

I just want to add outside of Tolkien does WoW have the best dwarves in fantasy? The only thing that's lacking in Dwarven lore in WoW is more of their culture, outside of their structure, architecture and love for booze, we don't know much about their political systems, their hierarchy, the belief and religions systems

When I look at Biowares Dragon Age, they go really in depth with dwarf lore (mainly in Dragon Age: Origins). You are inundated with codex's, and nuggets of lore from NPC's from the shaperate to the political inside details to even a class structure. Its something I have found WoW lore really lacking when it comes to racial culture within WoW's universe.

From a atheistic point of view I love WoW Dwarfs over Dragon Age Dwarfs but Dragon Age seem to have more details down about their culture than WOW does. Although with Dragon Age the one complaint I have about their dwarves are the lack of beards and I am not a fan of them having American accents :P

I don't play WoW anymore, but I loved WoW dwarves and very few fantasy games make the kind of dwarfs archetype as well as WoW does.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Terrorthatflapsinthenight View Post
    Speaking of Dark Irons, as well of Moira, the lack of distrust from the non-dwarven members of the Alliance toward them is disappointing, given their violent and dark history with not only their cousins but also with humans of Stormwind and the gnomes as well as their ties with Ragnaros and the Twilight Hammer and uses of dark magic, and generally backstabbing and scheming culture there should have been a lot more of wariness and prejudices toward the Dark Irons.

The fact that no Bronzebeard dwarf was seen plotting or rebelling against Moira during her short-lived tyranny over Ironforge is also something that bugs me, even with her being the legal heir of Magni I think that her being associated with the much hated and reviled Dark Irons and her being a woman with many dwarves surely having some sexism like Magni should have caused some of the Bronzebeard to say "Screw the rules and the succession" and to oppose her.

I imagined once a scenario where Muradin or a dwarven general like Stormpike was starting to gather the Bronzebeard armies outside of Ironforge to overthrow her, and that several senators and nobles were plotting behind Moira's back to remove her from power, with their plan being to capture her and then have the senate of Ironforge revote an old dwarven law preventing women from inheriting over men to legalize her being removed from the throne, just like how the french nobles adopted the Salic Law to prevent Edward III of England to become the king of France through him being the son of Isabella of France, the daughter of the late king Charles IV.
    Two things (other than the fact that I agree with this completely).

1) All of this should have played out in game. The facgt that we never got the chance to play through the inner turmoil of what was happening in Ironforge is ridiculous. It was literally the first inmteresting thing to happen to the Dwarves since the game launched, and it happened largely off screen. That's terrible storytelling.

2) They never, never, never should have had Varian swoop in to 'fix' it. They were full on into their 'Make Varian as larger than life as possible' schtick, and it was to the utter detriment to the Dwarven story and to the players. They should have made this a Dwarven centric plot, and kept other races out of it. It cheapens and diminishes the race if the heroic human leader was to jump in and handle even their politics. Let them have their moment in the sun. It didn't even need to be a primary plot point at the time. Just some fun side content for those invested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    How about a 'Throw Stormhammer' ability that they all get? Ranged damage with an interrupt or brief stun, maybe?
    WTB 'Find Treasure' back.. It was the simple flavour and joys.. And with the updated chests in the world content (better rewards + XP), it would be great. Haven't played Dwarf much since that was removed.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Aceofblood View Post
    I'd like dwarves to have access to druid class. Maybe a Wildhammer sub race to justify this. I'd think they'd have some awesome druid forms. Gryphon flight form, Ram travel form, Snow leopard kitty? , A Boar form for tank?
    Nope, Wildhammer dwarves were part of the Alliance since WC2? They never practiced druidic magic. Shamanism is completely different and makes more sense for dwarves. Tending to nature and growing flowers really doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Sorry to bump this, but I wanted to post in here a while back but completely forgot...

I just want to add outside of Tolkien does WoW have the best dwarves in fantasy? The only thing that's lacking in Dwarven lore in WoW is more of their culture, outside of their structure, architecture and love for booze, we don't know much about their political systems, their hierarchy, the belief and religions systems

When I look at Biowares Dragon Age, they go really in depth with dwarf lore (mainly in Dragon Age: Origins). You are inundated with codex's, and nuggets of lore from NPC's from the shaperate to the political inside details to even a class structure. Its something I have found WoW lore really lacking when it comes to racial culture within WoW's universe.

From a atheistic point of view I love WoW Dwarfs over Dragon Age Dwarfs but Dragon Age seem to have more details down about their culture than WOW does. Although with Dragon Age the one complaint I have about their dwarves are the lack of beards and I am not a fan of them having American accents :P

I don't play WoW anymore, but I loved WoW dwarves and very few fantasy games make the kind of dwarfs archetype as well as WoW does.
    I'd say Warhammer has arguably better Dwarves than WoW. Hreat design and portrayed as utter badasses. If you ever played Warhammer Online, the made Dwarves in that game look and feel amazing.

I loved the story that they gave Dwarves in Dragon Age, that was increidble. My issue was their game model. It was absolutely atrocious. They looked more like weirdly deformed gorillas.

There's a great book series by a German author named Markus Heitz that's been translated into English that puts Dwarves front and center (first book is called, fittingly, The Dwarves). They're long reads and very thick on narrative, but great at showcasing Dwarves as heroic characters as opposed to comic relief.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I'd say Warhammer has arguably better Dwarves than WoW. Hreat design and portrayed as utter badasses. If you ever played Warhammer Online, the made Dwarves in that game look and feel amazing.

I loved the story that they gave Dwarves in Dragon Age, that was increidble. My issue was their game model. It was absolutely atrocious. They looked more like weirdly deformed gorillas.

There's a great book series by a German author named Markus Heitz that's been translated into English that puts Dwarves front and center (first book is called, fittingly, The Dwarves). They're long reads and very thick on narrative, but great at showcasing Dwarves as heroic characters as opposed to comic relief.
    That is on my 'to read list' actually, I am currently bogged down with other books right now... I will get to that hopefully next year

I have a huge love for Dwarves in fantasy... but that also makes me very cynical when they are in it, because I wanna see them done well.

Quote Originally Posted by Divada View Post
    Do we have any feats in the lore to gauge strength? We know they're incredibly resilient per lore but strength? Not sure. Definitely stronger than NE, humans, Gnomes, and maybe your average Draenei. Worgen might be stronger?

As for ideas, bring back treasure finding please. It was a lot of fun. And I'd like to see the writers expand beyond dwarves being silly sidekicks for humans, please.
    In lore Nelves are stronger, they’re enhanced elves, they are just too superstitious and spiritual. (Almost wrote stupid)

Dwarves are as strong as humans, which is saying something because they are shorter. So it’s nothing to laugh at.

Something with Gryphons, thunder/lightning hammers for facials will fit

Something I have imagined about Shadowforge City and the Dark Iron Dwarves is that the Dark Irons have created spécial runes in order to help protect themselves from their volcanic environnement.

For example they have special runes that protect them from the toxic gas produced by Blackrock Mountain's volcanic activity, these runes absorbing the gas and turning it into oxygen.

They may also have runes that disminish the heat, ar least to allow their allies to go into Shadowforge City without passing out and dying because of the heat. Because seriously most races wouldn't last long into the city and Blackrock Mountain with the terrible heat, the lava and the gas.

Eh, the problem with Bioware is that it feels like one person on the write staff really liked Dwarves for DA1 since after DA1 they've been just, completly ignored to the point of none relavence with the only notable Dwarf being one whose entire point is that he's the least Dwarf ever.

That is on my 'to read list' actually, I am currently bogged down with other books right now... I will get to that hopefully next year

I have a huge love for Dwarves in fantasy... but that also makes me very cynical when they are in it, because I wanna see them done well.
    Will second "The Dwarves" just be aware it has the edgiest elves ever.

A bit obvious for Gotrek and Felix is also very good when it comes to dwarves. It has a comic relief Dwarf, but even in his case he's a troubled character that has more depth than seems.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Eh, the problem with Bioware is that it feels like one person on the write staff really liked Dwarves for DA1 since after DA1 they've been just, completly ignored to the point of none relavence with the only notable Dwarf being one whose entire point is that he's the least Dwarf ever.
    Yea sadly true, which is why I specifically addressed DA:O. Because as you said the other two games haven't really addressed them as well as Origins did.

Yea sadly true, which is why I specifically addressed DA:O. Because as you said the other two games haven't really addressed them as well as Origins did.
    The devs seem to be blatantly anti-dwarf at that, outright refusing to have a dwarf romance for instance becasue "its gross"
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    The devs seem to be blatantly anti-dwarf at that, outright refusing to have a dwarf romance for instance becasue "its gross"
    oh yea don't get me started on that statement... :P

Dwarves are awesome. Had I not been a Horde player I'd have gone with them.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Dwarves really are the best race in the entire game, only barely nudging out Orcs.
    All my alliance characters are Dwarves, had the Horde got Dark Iron I’d never go back

7+ Year Old Account

I just want to add outside of Tolkien does WoW have the best dwarves in fantasy?

Warhammer dwarves by far
    They are no joke
    https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Dwarf
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

@Orby
    Gonna be another one recommending Warhammer dwarves as some of the dwarfiest dwarves that ever dwarfed. The Gotrek and Felix Slayer series (Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer and so on) explores a lot of the Warhammer world through the eyes of a dwarf Slayer (well, his personal remembrancer) and Daemonslayer is the first to have a lot of other dwarves.