Poll: Do you support Blizzard removing the emotes, jokes, flirts, names, images and more?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddoc View Post
    Yet you are the one holding on to your argument around the implications from an IRL standpoint, and thus claiming context is irrelevant. One member saying his/her use for it and their context, which you claim to be wrong/not as intended (for some reason), and basing it around the usage of spitting IRL. I am just pointing out the falacy in your argument.
    The only fallacy is that you can't seem to wrap your head around the idea that Blizzard can intend for emotes to mirror their real world uses while at the same time making no connection between their game violence and real world violence. THAT is a jump you decided to make all on your own.

There's no real argument to say that Blizzard intended emotes to NOT be taken at face value. They were meant to be a simplistic way of communication that could even work between factions, not some complicated code where some where meant to be used ironically and others literally. As I pointed out, back when people like Metzen loved to push the faction animosity to 11, having emotes that were meant to be straight up insults between players seemed like a perfectly reasonable thing to put in the game. You can argue all you like that people should grow thicker skin and not take anything in video games seriously, but obviously harassment is a real thing and as the store mount debacle showed when people want to be degenerates they will go for the features that are tailor made to be insulting. Could we be having this same conversation if they had decided to spam /hug instead? Maybe, maybe not. What seems obvious is that Blizzard no longer wants to support emotes that were purpose built to be negative or insulting.

I doubt I am the only one who thinks this is so dumb. Instead of removing stuff. Blizz really should focus on actually making the game fun. I get they are trying to clean up their act, but removing flirts, Farts, Burps, and other things really doesn't say "OH we wanna make this game fun." These are minor, and honestly kinda unnecessary when you can have some jackass yell the N-word and the GMs not do shit about it.

I only just realised there was a poll.

I mean supporting the idea and liking the idea are two different things.

Do I support the women who were victims and their opinion to remove the emotes? yes

Do I like that they removed the emotes? No. I think its dumb...
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-10-04 at 11:42 PM.
    Proof is boring. Proof is tiresome. Proof is irrelevance. People would rather be handed an easy lie than search for a difficult truth, especially when it suits their own purpose.
    - Glokta
    The Last Argument of Kings, The First Law Trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Disagree. WoW is a game first and foremost. It doesn't and shouldn't reflect all the interactions people can have IRL. For some reason people seem to think that since WoW has a strong social component is should place no limits on social interactions. While social aspects are pretty important to an MMO, they are there predominately to serve the gameplay. WoW isn't an internet forum or social media page, and it's not an educational tool for social interactions that is there to teach people not to be assholes or to have a thicker skin. Chat is there to get people together in order to facilitate things like questing, trading, dungeons, PVP, etc. If people want to also use WoW as a place to just chat with friends then that's fine, but Blizzard doesn't need to keep things (like emotes) that don't facilitate gameplay and can be prone to abuse.

Removing CONTENT is never good since that's what the game is actually built around. It's a very different thing to removing superfluous things that don't affect the core gameplay functions.
    A good game: good gameplay.
    A good MMO: good gameplay + social interactions.

If you can subsitute your fellow players with bots and still have the same experience, you don't play an MMO.

I can see how some of them got removed, but this feels extremely american: Stabbing/shooting is OK, but cleavage or a "sexual" joke is a no-no.

Also, the joke "I give myself a Dutch oven pedicure every night. I've got no foot fungus at all. My toes are pristine": What did I miss here? If it implies anything not about steaming feet or something, it would be...farting under the sheets?

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Among the most relevant things in my opinion, player housing is a significant factor. Decorating their in-game house is very much an activity that I see people spend a good deal of time on in FF14 (it is why the Market Board, FF14 equivalent of an AH, has so many pieces of furniture on it). Next is outfits, FF14 has a lot of variety in aesthetic choices for customizing your wardrobe. It has more conservative styled clothing as well as more risque outfits, so there is a lot of choice available for people who enjoy spending time dressing up their characters. I think both of these aspects appeal more to women than games that have a focus on PvP or PvE as the core game content.

Coming back around to the overall game appeal: FF14 is not really marketed for hardcore gamers, it is marketed for more casual and story oriented players. The base GCD being 2.5 seconds I think actually helps the game in weeding out gamers who have more impatient temperaments, and in my experience male gamers do trend to being significantly more impatient than female gamers. The overall tone of the in-game community is more relaxed because of the stricter community standards. You know if someone starts being bigoted they are going to get banned for that behavior, and those bans often come quickly.

Lastly there is the strict community policies of FF14, their moderation is significantly stricter than that of most MMORPGs I've played. I don't recall seeing anyone ever making sexist remarks in public chat channels over the year or so I spent playing FF14. It isn't that it doesn't happen at all, it is that people who do it get banned very quickly and the community has very low tolerance for bigoted behavior. Half of the shit I've seen in a single run of LFR in WoW would be sufficient for those players to get banned in FF14, while there little to no consequence to them in WoW.

Mind you, this isn't even close to an exhaustive list, these are just some of the things that I think are among the most relevant factors in it having a wider appeal to female gamers.
    And that's why Blizzard should defo take a look at FF14 and add stuff like that to the next expansion. I would love to get propper Housing (maybe even Valheim/Minecraft style) aswell as more transmog and customization options.

I love how they are changing the "Consort" and "concubine" titles for female mobs but keeping it for Krasus and now some male mobs in Karazhan
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Do I support the women who were victims and their opinion to remove the emotes? yes
    How did you even arrive to that conclusion? I mean if I was harassed, the last thing I'd care about was some silly emotes in a video game, I'd want the ones who were doing the harassing fired and maybe some company policy changes regarding employees.

This decision has clearly nothing to do with any of the women but the company just virtue signaling to get public attention away from the real issues so they can give themselves a pat on the back and say "we did it!".

I support the name changes and NPC updates for the most part (I don't approve of the lack of attention regarding some NPCs, like blood elves with golden eyes in BT), but that's about it. I wish the poll was more nuanced though, I voted yes but only as I support some of the changes, not all of them.

I think removing all vaguely sexual flirts and jokes is extreme and not necessarily productive. That being said, some of them were really outdated and obnoxious, and I'm glad they're gone, but I think the scope of what is being removed is way too large and unreasonable, and it's probably going to divide people more than anything.

But eh, maybe I don't see the whole picture of what's happening at Blizzard's (for the better or worse?). I just sincerely hope people who were harassed feel safer now and can work in a respectful environment, the rest... is secondary.
    Last edited by Fahrad Wagner; 2021-10-05 at 04:59 PM.

Can somebody please explain THIS being re'moo'ved??

"I know it seems strange, but I'm practically a cow. So why am I wearing leather?"
    Tauren Male Joke.

I mean, you're gonna have to stretch hard to get me to see how AT ALL this was worth removing? What the everloving hell is wrong with that joke, lol?!

Edit: Turns out WoWhead is just being odd, this was never ingame functionally anyways.

Thought for sure they were going to make me imagine some way this was racist.
    Last edited by Archmage Xaxxas; 2021-10-05 at 05:35 PM.
    I too am a passionate member of
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    And that's why Blizzard should defo take a look at FF14 and add stuff like that to the next expansion. I would love to get propper Housing (maybe even Valheim/Minecraft style) aswell as more transmog and customization options.
    FF14 player housing is theoretically great if you're one of the few that can get a plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Xaxxas View Post
    Can somebody please explain THIS being re'moo'ved??

"I know it seems strange, but I'm practically a cow. So why am I wearing leather?"
    Tauren Male Joke.

I mean, you're gonna have to stretch hard to get me to see how AT ALL this was worth removing? What the everloving hell is wrong with that joke, lol?!

Edit: Turns out WoWhead is just being odd, this was never ingame functionally anyways.

Thought for sure they were going to make me imagine some way this was racist.
    isn't veganism the ultimate social justice?

On one side none of these things are really important or necessary, but they still did kinda give the game a certain touch and identity. By removing everything that could be interpreted as somehow offensive the game will just get stale and boring.

What a hypocritical company.

The only thing that is right and I am sure most people support is the removal of the references to certain irl people like Afrasiabi and Mcree, but everything else is so dumb and unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    What they should do is straight up pick up the Wildstar housing team in their entirety and just copy Wildstar housing. Would definitely bring some people back and possibly new ones in.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/suggest...h-9-1-5-324416

yeeeeeah, it appears the devs are finally losing it.
    im not even sure anymore if this is fckn hilarious or just downright sad tbh
    Last edited by Houle; 2021-10-06 at 01:28 AM.
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

I understand removing few emotes that could have potentially been offensive, which is a no-no in modern world of special snowflakes, but they removed /doom

Why???? They reached new level of stupidity.
    "Those who can convince you to believe absurdities can convince you to commit atrocities." ~Voltaire
    I feel the above truly reflect what is happening in the US and its allies, or has been happening for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I only just realised there was a poll.
    Don't worry I added it yesterday evening. It's very new. I added it after they removed the jokes/flirts

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MechanoDruid View Post
    I understand removing few emotes that could have potentially been offensive, which is a no-no in modern world of special snowflakes, but they removed /doom

Why???? They reached new level of stupidity.
    The only joke I can find offensive is the Tauren Male one about homogenization and the ladies. That's the only one. None of these are remotely offensive. None.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Remove everything remotely sexual, wont distract from the lawsuit.

They are being puritanical at this point. Next they are coming for my bikini armor transmog, and then anything shows off cleavage! Or legs!

Seriously, they are morons and just lost themselves another sub. This is coming from a woman that grew up with warcraft 2 and starcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Skayth View Post
    Remove everything remotely sexual, wont distract from the lawsuit.

They are being puritanical at this point. Next they are coming for my bikini armor transmog, and then anything shows off cleavage! Or legs!

Seriously, they are morons and just lost themselves another sub. This is coming from a woman that grew up with warcraft 2 and starcraft.
    I'm surprised Jaina's belly is exposed in the new artwork they released. Jaina's breasts are also incredibly exposed.

Beautiful artwork --as always the art team doesn't disappointment.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    I'm surprised Jaina's belly is exposed in the new artwork they released. Jaina's breasts are also incredibly exposed.

Beautiful artwork --as always the art team doesn't disappointment.
    Same. I was sure they were gonna retcon her outfits..... but there is still time to "fix" that pic