Poll: Do you support Blizzard removing the emotes, jokes, flirts, names, images and more?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Look at the previous articles by the author of that article. He has a number of them all on the same subject. That's actually the only one he's done where the comments got locked right away. Most of the other posts he's done are 300+ post flamewars that read a lot like most forum threads around here. Bad faith actors like him are part of the reason cynicism in this community has spread like wildfire. People who seek only to stoke the negativity circlejerking about WoW are part of the reason it's nigh-impossible to have a discussion about how to fix the fucking game. Why bother having a serious discussion when 99% of the people reading it will write it off after the first sentence with "lol dead game."
    Extremely massive cope.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Extremely massive cope.
    Cope with what, exactly? Editorialization has no business on a datamining website.

Look at the previous articles by the author of that article. He has a number of them all on the same subject. That's actually the only one he's done where the comments got locked right away. Most of the other posts he's done are 300+ post flamewars that read a lot like most forum threads around here. Bad faith actors like him are part of the reason cynicism in this community has spread like wildfire. People who seek only to stoke the negativity circlejerking about WoW are part of the reason it's nigh-impossible to have a discussion about how to fix the fucking game. Why bother having a serious discussion when 99% of the people reading it will write it off after the first sentence with "lol dead game."
    I mean outrage generation gets clicks and money, look at the Quartering basically admitted to not caring about any of the things he cries about besides the money it gets him.

- - - Updated - - -

Cope with what, exactly? Editorialization has no business on a datamining website.
    no see, you need to cope with the fact you actually have a point to make beyond pointing and laughing.

lol
    i just read some of those dev replies/statements on twitter, and what can i say...they can deny it all they want, these "changes" exist bc of the lawsuit.
    the game is not in a good state. not by any means. and everyone and their mother can see that. it has far bigger issues than silly, 15y old sex jokes. yet THIS is the stuff they chose to focus on right now?
    yeah, sure, thats totally not bc of the lawsuit. its 4sure bc the devs are suddenly unhappy with stuff thats been in game since the beginning.
    ...really?
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Houle View Post
    lol
    i just read some of those dev replies/statements on twitter, and what can i say...they can deny it all they want, these "changes" exist bc of the lawsuit.
    the game is not in a good state. not by any means. and everyone and their mother can see that. it has far bigger issues than silly, 15y old sex jokes. yet THIS is the stuff they chose to focus on right now?
    yeah, sure, thats totally not bc of the lawsuit. its 4sure bc the devs are suddenly unhappy with stuff thats been in game since the beginning.
    ...really?
    Yes, really.

If and of themselves, a lot of the emotes and stuff are eyerolling, and I didn't really NEED them to go, but I don't mind them leaving. I do feel a bit more strongly about them if like, they were written by Afrasiabi or one of those other tools.

I think with your desperate whiteknighting l...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crix View Post
    I think with your desperate whiteknighting l...
    Who is whiteknighting? Is simply pointing out the negative cynicism in this community is making it increasingly difficult to discuss literally fucking anything considered whiteknighting now? Have we reached a level of cognitive dissonance where the mere possibility that somebody doesn't immediately criticize everything Blizzard does or doesn't do means that they full-on support every dumb fucking decision the company makes?

Yes, really.
    anyone who seriously believes its conicidence that the devs randomly decided now is a good time to change sexual things in the game, shortly after a gigantic lawsuit about sexual harassment in the company was made public, is downright delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    People get their feefees hurt for getting spat on for being whales buying store mounts
    oh nooo, how will they cope, i wonder. must be tough.
    guess im lucky ive NEVER been insulted or threatened on the internet in all those years of gaming. i dont know how i wouldve managed
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Houle View Post
    anyone who seriously believes its conicidence that the devs randomly decided now is a good time to change sexual things in the game, shortly after a gigantic lawsuit about sexual harassment in the company was made public, is downright delusional.
    I don't think it's random. I think this is the best, and perhaps the first, opportunity they've had to do this. As for Blizzard management going along with it that's all different now as well. Brack, who was executive producer of the game for many years is gone as well as a number of other key management people.

Of course the lawsuit had something to do with it but the legal actions brought by the state of California and the federal EEOC thing weren't about the game content at all. It simply created opportunities for developers to move on something without fear of retaliation that likely has been bothering some of them for a while.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Let's try to keep this admittedly volatile topic on track. Drop the tangent discussions about mental health issues, gender identity, and real-world politics and focus on the PTR changes concerning player emotes.[/b]
    Looks like a mod edited something into your post. Blizzard is actively finding a way to shoehorn all these into the game bit by bit.
    Chicken fried rice is delicious!

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post
    It was from The WoW Diary: A Journal of Computer Game Development by original WoW designer John Staats. According to market research, player's girlfriends wanted a "non-creepy femme race" to play Horde-side.

Many years later, nothing's changed:

Dead last: Kul Tiran.

I wonder why...
    Last: Mecha-Junk-Gnomes, just their tip so small it didn't shows on graphic.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I think this is the best, and perhaps the first, opportunity they've had to do this.

Can you imagine the job interview?

Blizzard: "You want to be on the team, huh? So you like World of Warcraft?"

Wannabe Dev: "NO, I don't. I'm emotionally fragile and the Suggestive Themes makes me feel icky and personally attacked. But I want to work here so when the opportunity comes, I can remove everything I want. Because edutainment is how you reshape society to make a better, safer, more enlightened world... but I can't do that myself; no one wants to play games like that. So I need to find a franchise that's already popular that has the reach to broadcast my message to millions, and the capital to keep paying me when millions of customers walk away."

Blizzard: "So... you don't play the game?

Wannabe Dev:
    "No, I play Twitter."

Naturally, they didn't say that out loud. Instead, they tell these companies what they want to hear. That's how you infiltrate something you don't like, so you can bide your time until you can take action.
    Last edited by thottstation; 2021-10-08 at 06:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's how you infiltrate something you don't like, so you can bide your time until you can take action.
    That’s quite the conspiracy you’ve got going there. You should notify the authorities.

That’s not how hiring in IT works.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    That’s quite the conspiracy
    What a relief.

For a while there I thought a bunch of lowkey activists with a warped sense of public morality had applied for jobs in a company that produces content filled with juvenile, sex-based, "rated T for Teen" themes despite it being profoundly offensive to them yet have remained silent all these years, have now seized an opportunity to reshape the product according to their own prudish Victorian values, while responding to customer complaints with public statements explaining that the revamp is being done to meet their own preferences and not their customers, because they are compelled by some twisted "moral duty" to produce goods devoid of anything that might offend their coworkers who literally signed up to help make it, and not one that helps their company grow and thrive.

Thankyou for reassuring me that wasn't happening.

It's like a weight has been lifted.
    Last edited by thottstation; 2021-10-08 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    How? That's the question. I asked a few guildies of this persuasion last night and they feel similarly in that a dopey tauren misunderstanding a word and saying he likes ladies is stupid, but not homophobic. /shrugs
    It's not homophobic but my guess is that the PC states their sexual orientation and that might upset someone that wants to express themselves through their character which does not share that sexual orientation.

Disregarding that the character we are talking about is a bipedal cow / bull, but you know how some are when it comes to that whole sexual orientation / gender stuff.

snip
    If nice characters, housing and cool clothes were what drew women to MMOs, Black Desert Online would be the most played game on the planet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felis igneus View Post
    Simply offering more than dick measuring as endgame content?
    FF14 has endgame content?

What a relief.

For a while there I thought a bunch of lowkey activists with a warped sense of public morality had applied for jobs in a company that produces content filled with juvenile, sex-based, "rated T for Teen" themes despite it being profoundly offensive to them yet have remained silent all these years, have now seized an opportunity to reshape the product according to their own prudish Victorian values, while responding to customer complaints with public statements explaining that the revamp is being done to meet their own preferences and not their customers, because they are compelled by some twisted "moral duty" to produce goods devoid of anything that might offend their coworkers who literally signed up to help make it, and not one that helps their company grow and thrive.

Thankyou for reassuring me that wasn't happening.

It's like a weight has been lifted.
    That's painfully candid and on the nose.

You can't just go around saying the truth like that- we need to dance around it a million times instead. That is apparently our moral and intellectual duty.

I’m a liberal, but it’s liberals like those working at Blizz who give sane ones a bad name

They are so indoctrinated into their culture wars that they can’t even unclutch their pearls at work. They need to treat WARcraft as it’s own separate entity with their own morals, and quit trying to indoctrinate the world into SF

10+ Year Old Account

what does this have to do with sexual harassment