Poll: Do you support Blizzard removing the emotes, jokes, flirts, names, images and more?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ...
13
21
22
23
24
25
... LastLast
  1. #441
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I think this is the best, and perhaps the first, opportunity they've had to do this.


    Can you imagine the job interview?


    Blizzard: "You want to be on the team, huh? So you like World of Warcraft?"

    Wannabe Dev: "NO, I don't. I'm emotionally fragile and the Suggestive Themes makes me feel icky and personally attacked. But I want to work here so when the opportunity comes, I can remove everything I want. Because edutainment is how you reshape society to make a better, safer, more enlightened world... but I can't do that myself; no one wants to play games like that. So I need to find a franchise that's already popular that has the reach to broadcast my message to millions, and the capital to keep paying me when millions of customers walk away."

    Blizzard: "So... you don't play the game?

    Wannabe Dev:
    "No, I play Twitter."



    Naturally, they didn't say that out loud. Instead, they tell these companies what they want to hear. That's how you infiltrate something you don't like, so you can bide your time until you can take action.
    Last edited by thottstation; 2021-10-08 at 06:20 AM.

  2. #442
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    31,387
    Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post
    That's how you infiltrate something you don't like, so you can bide your time until you can take action.
    That’s quite the conspiracy you’ve got going there. You should notify the authorities.

    That’s not how hiring in IT works.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

  3. #443
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    That’s quite the conspiracy
    What a relief.

    For a while there I thought a bunch of lowkey activists with a warped sense of public morality had applied for jobs in a company that produces content filled with juvenile, sex-based, "rated T for Teen" themes despite it being profoundly offensive to them yet have remained silent all these years, have now seized an opportunity to reshape the product according to their own prudish Victorian values, while responding to customer complaints with public statements explaining that the revamp is being done to meet their own preferences and not their customers, because they are compelled by some twisted "moral duty" to produce goods devoid of anything that might offend their coworkers who literally signed up to help make it, and not one that helps their company grow and thrive.

    Thankyou for reassuring me that wasn't happening.

    It's like a weight has been lifted.
    Last edited by thottstation; 2021-10-08 at 10:28 AM.

  4. #444
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    How? That's the question. I asked a few guildies of this persuasion last night and they feel similarly in that a dopey tauren misunderstanding a word and saying he likes ladies is stupid, but not homophobic. /shrugs
    It's not homophobic but my guess is that the PC states their sexual orientation and that might upset someone that wants to express themselves through their character which does not share that sexual orientation.

    Disregarding that the character we are talking about is a bipedal cow / bull, but you know how some are when it comes to that whole sexual orientation / gender stuff.

  5. #445
    Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post
    snip
    If nice characters, housing and cool clothes were what drew women to MMOs, Black Desert Online would be the most played game on the planet.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Felis igneus View Post
    Simply offering more than dick measuring as endgame content?
    FF14 has endgame content?

  6. #446
    Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post
    What a relief.

    For a while there I thought a bunch of lowkey activists with a warped sense of public morality had applied for jobs in a company that produces content filled with juvenile, sex-based, "rated T for Teen" themes despite it being profoundly offensive to them yet have remained silent all these years, have now seized an opportunity to reshape the product according to their own prudish Victorian values, while responding to customer complaints with public statements explaining that the revamp is being done to meet their own preferences and not their customers, because they are compelled by some twisted "moral duty" to produce goods devoid of anything that might offend their coworkers who literally signed up to help make it, and not one that helps their company grow and thrive.

    Thankyou for reassuring me that wasn't happening.

    It's like a weight has been lifted.
    That's painfully candid and on the nose.

    You can't just go around saying the truth like that- we need to dance around it a million times instead. That is apparently our moral and intellectual duty.

  7. #447
    I’m a liberal, but it’s liberals like those working at Blizz who give sane ones a bad name

    They are so indoctrinated into their culture wars that they can’t even unclutch their pearls at work. They need to treat WARcraft as it’s own separate entity with their own morals, and quit trying to indoctrinate the world into SF

  8. #448
    Banned docterfreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Finding a stranger in the alps.
    Posts
    3,872


    what does this have to do with sexual harassment

  9. #449
    Mechagnome Mr. Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Peanut Gallery
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post


    what does this have to do with sexual harassment
    I think that referencing other cultures is considered offensive now.

  10. #450
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    I’m a liberal, but it’s liberals like those working at Blizz who give sane ones a bad name

    They are so indoctrinated into their culture wars that they can’t even unclutch their pearls at work. They need to treat WARcraft as it’s own separate entity with their own morals, and quit trying to indoctrinate the world into SF
    it's like something horrible wrong happened in the early 2010s that made people in the american left and generation Z go nuts

    For example I went from being a liberal guy(center left) back 2000s/2010s to be called a "far right" by some idiots in recent years and my political views didn't change one bit.

    WTF is going?

  11. #451
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    It's not homophobic but my guess is that the PC states their sexual orientation and that might upset someone that wants to express themselves through their character which does not share that sexual orientation.

    Disregarding that the character we are talking about is a bipedal cow / bull, but you know how some are when it comes to that whole sexual orientation / gender stuff.
    Bolded bit at least does make sense, heck I'd consider that enough to change the joke, I'm all for people being able to immerse themselves in their toons for RP if they like and I can see that angle. Just did not get it being homophobic at all lol, danke sir or madam. That satisfies my curiosity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"

  12. #452
    The Patient vincink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    face.eat(cheese)
    Posts
    221
    Well, the good news is that WoW is slowly backing out and leaving a void to be filled. It may be some time but something will eventually fill it. I know the FF mmo is pretty popular. (A little too weaboo for me, though.)

  13. #453
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I'm all for people being able to immerse themselves in their toons for RP if they like and I can see that angle.
    Personally, i disagree, because

    (1) Homogenized is a play on homogenized milk and Bulls (or Male Tauren) do not produce milk (which you know, is part of the joke)
    (2) It's also playing on the fact Homogenized sounds similiar to homosexual
    (3) The joke does merely states the sexuality, does not degrade any other
    (4) It's a fucking joke, as in, not to be taken serious

    My rule of thumb is "When it sounds like an Onion headline, stop" and "WoW Players think a "homogenized" joke is offensive towards non binary genders" sounds like an onion headline.

    By that logic, those people would have to blast Oronok Torn-Heart to pieces because he says

    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/The...th_and_History

    I had to be sure, <name>. And to be sure, I had to test you. Please excuse the little masquerade. I am as much a farmer as you are <female/male>. Which is to say, not at all.
    Yes, that Npc just assumes the gender of your character.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2021-10-08 at 02:49 PM.

  14. #454
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Personally, i disagree, because

    (1) Homogenized is a play on homogenized milk and Bulls (or Male Tauren) do not produce milk (which you know, is part of the joke)
    (2) It's also playing on the fact Homogenized sounds similiar to homosexual
    (3) The joke does merely states the sexuality, does not degrade any other
    (4) It's a fucking joke, as in, not to be taken serious

    My rule of thumb is "When it sounds like an Onion headline, stop" and "WoW Players think a "homogenized" joke is offensive towards non binary genders" sounds like an onion headline.

    By that logic, those people would have to blast Oronok Torn-Heart to pieces because he says

    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/The...th_and_History



    Yes, that Npc just assumes the gender of your character.
    All valid points, but I just mean that I get the approach of someone saying: "I'm gay and I want to roleplay my character as gay. My male tauren stating he isn't breaks my immersion". I hadn't considered that angle, it makes sense.

    That said I still don't personally agree with removing them, but I also don't care too much beyond my initial curiosity of why that joke was ever considered offensive to begin with. I tend to prefer adding toggle options over removing stuff, but that can get complicated I guess.

    As for Oronok, in his case he is an NPC quest giver, and exists in both RP and non-RP realms, so that, to me, would be a case of "you're going to need to rely on your own suspension of disbelief when you do this quest if you're RPing a non cis-gendered character".

    Though I'm sure some would then ask: Where is the line? Why can't we change Oronok too if we can change this male tauren joke?

    At which point I would probably just say sorry, Oronok is an ignorant bigot, they exist on Azeroth too.

    I like your onion headline rule. (Though are we still allowed to say rule of thumb?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"

  15. #455
    Over 9000! Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    9,589
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    The joke itself is kind of homophobic
    As a bi guy myself, I fail to perceive the homophobia in the joke. Yes, it's silly af, but isn't it exactly the point? Hell, you type /silly to hear that, for the Eternal Sun's sake.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by vincink View Post
    Well, the good news is that WoW is slowly backing out and leaving a void to be filled. It may be some time but something will eventually fill it. I know the FF mmo is pretty popular. (A little too weaboo for me, though.)
    ESO is quite neat, I can really recommend it for those who want a more RPG-y experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    It's not really retconning though. There's plenty we didn't know from WC3 - a story which is just about 20 years old. The Jailer is the backbone of that story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    It's interesting how a character that didn't exist back then could be the backbone of the story. Guess that story must have been an invertebrate then.

  16. #456
    Quote Originally Posted by starstationprofm View Post
    Nuh-uh!
    Your repeated denials of the existence of the millions of women playing the game, your denial of their reasons why (in their own voice), and your denial of the source (the devs themselves), is beginning to border on fundamentalism.

    I fear nothing will persuade you because it's your entrenched, strongly-held belief. Or perhaps you're waving a flag for Team A, so Team B must be bad no matter what they do and everyone must stay away for they speak only lies.

    So we've reached the point where I'll just have to leave you in the carefully-walled world you've created; No, millions of women are NOT playing the game, the game devs are lying, and the women speaking are wrong wrong wrong.

    I don't know what benefit you get out of this intractible worldview, but you're not harming anyone, so... have fun.


    On an unrelated note, I think we can all agree that the Tauren's "HOW... may I aid you?" line has it's days numbered.



    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_(greeting)
    Last edited by thottstation; 2021-10-09 at 05:01 AM.

  17. #457
    Herald of the Titans Rethul Ur No's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Scrapbot's DMs
    Posts
    2,631
    Californians totally like....gonna do like, hella Californian things, am I right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Are these resisters actually contributing to our country and paying their taxes? Or are they freeloading?

  18. #458
    Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post
    I fear nothing will persuade you because it's your entrenched, strongly-held belief
    It is not belief. It is fact. From my point of view those polls/stats are wrong because the REALITY I have experienced prove them to be wrong.

    If tomorrow a study came and said most people in East Europe are black, I wouldn't believe it either, because I have experienced the REALITY of the situation here and I know it to be false.

    At the end of the day, saying " Our game is nearly 50% women " is a huge PR move so they have every benefit in the world to lie/present misleading stats.

    The FACT that just about every kid playing with mom's credit card would show as female in their stats makes the entire ''study'' misleading. Outright false.

    I'm surprised people on this forum are willing to accept the 7 men to 3 women as fact considering how easy it is to gain false information from credit card info or polls. This is a mockery of statistics and fact checking.

  19. #459
    Herald of the Titans ercarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Suramar
    Posts
    2,996
    How could anyone support this? It's one of the dumbest things they've ever done.

  20. #460
    Quote Originally Posted by starstationprofm View Post
    It is not belief. It is fact. From my point of view those polls/stats are wrong because the REALITY I have experienced prove them to be wrong.

    If tomorrow a study came and said most people in East Europe are black, I wouldn't believe it either, because I have experienced the REALITY of the situation here and I know it to be false.

    At the end of the day, saying " Our game is nearly 50% women " is a huge PR move so they have every benefit in the world to lie/present misleading stats.

    The FACT that just about every kid playing with mom's credit card would show as female in their stats makes the entire ''study'' misleading. Outright false.

    I'm surprised people on this forum are willing to accept the 7 men to 3 women as fact considering how easy it is to gain false information from credit card info or polls. This is a mockery of statistics and fact checking.
    Are you for real? You are simply delusional thinking that your extremely small sample size is even remotely viable to call it "reality".

    And again, "mom credit card" is simply a super small error margin in calculations.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

    NextUI for XIV


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •