View Poll Results: Who should be blamed for toxicity in Wow?

Voters
145. This poll is closed
  • Toxic community

71 48.97%
  • Developers, who've created conditions for toxicity to grow

74 51.03%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'd wager the emote thing and name changes has little to do with the players- well, the whole TBC lizard /spit nonsense did bring attention to it, but these acts are more to placate disgruntled employees and, more importantly, show the law that they're doing something. Empty actions are still actions, and I'm willing to bet a hundred that the legal and HR department are those who demanded those removals, rather than the community management team which is the butt of the joke in most gaming studios. Believe you me, Blizzard takes the lawsuits far more seriously than any amount of whiners on Twitter.

Alongside this issue is that actual, proper policing of player behavior is expensive and tedious. The vast majority of companies would rather take shortcuts on the subject.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Oh... typical 'why not Y thing' couterargument.
    How original...

... because i would love to still use them as these were part of the game for almost 20 years?
    Happily /e for some reason is still there.
    That was literally just mirroring your own words. Don't really need a counterargument when there wasn't an argument to begin with.

"It has been in the game for X amount of time" isn't a good argument either. The backpack was only 16 slots for the longest time, does that mean it should have stayed that way forever? Of course not, because you should look at what these things add to the game overall and I don't think emotes like /spit add anything positive to the game whatsoever. 99% of the time it's just an outlet for expressing passive aggressive anger and contempt. What good is that to the game other than to stoke toxic interactions?

I don't get it, do people here really think that being an asshole is a permanent condition and not something that shows up in specific situations? Here is an extremely stupid example, ''a nice person gets kidnaped and tortured, he eventually tells the kidnapers some mean things" is that person an asshole now? Kinda seems silly right?

Bad poll is bad.

Try harder.

It's both but more on blizz.

Some players being toxic is sadly just the online gaming space but your game design and moderating will influence the severity.

EU doesn't even have a CM right now and I'd bet only a handful of GMs so go figure.

Wait, what's this? People online behaving poorly? No. When did that start?

The sad truth is that many people, when facing no substantive consequences, will behave like brats.

I'd compare these changes to when people change their facebook avatar to have the pride flag colors. They're doing something that's an easy change on their part that will make them look better though ultimately it doesn't really change much at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a douchebag in real life...nor am I a douchebag in game. Read into that how you like...

15+ Year Old Account
    Gonna be honest OP, that was one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read.

I’m a player since 2005, and your excuse to start ninja looting is pure bullshit. Ninja looting isn’t as prevalent as you claim, not even remotely, to the point where you’d literally NEED to start ninja looting to get gear? Do you even know what ninja looting means? It means taking loot you don’t need.

So..you started doing that? Lmao. What a silly thing to even say haha. How did that help your issue? Looting items you don’t need? Do you not understand how this claim holds absolutely no water?

Sure, running dungeons ALL the time, you’re bound to run into a malicious individual that takes an item you want or need, but to claim it’s so rampant as you are? It’s happened maybe 5 times in my 16 year wow career running with pugs. You’re silly.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

The US wants an emotionless society, as portrayed in so many novels and film... :V

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    ...I adapted and started to ninja-loot too...
    This point right here is where you lost all sympathy and relatability. Saying you had no choice or the only option was... you chose to become part of the problem. The same can be said about toxic behavior in other aspects of the game. No one has a gun to your head forcing you to be toxic... it's your choice... take some personal responsibility and be the instrument of change. A company can't control how people react... however the people can... the people should take ownership of that. I find that being polite and kind in chat leads to either sparking good conversation or being ignored. Either way don't spread toxicity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Patch 9.2 leaks:

- chat gets removed completely
    - character and guildnames get resettet and can only be random generated
    - in LFG Tool you can now only use generic group names and pick some options - group information box get removed
    - you can still add friends to you battlenet acc, but you cant communicate with them
    - ingame voicechat gets removed

What "toxicity" are you talking about? Someone killing you in AV and then planting the flag of ownership on your corpse? People calling you out for being asleep at the wheel in raid chat?

15+ Year Old Account
    Core idea: if other players do something wrong and I don't - then I'm in lose position.
    Doesn't that answer the question then? That the community is toxic. If the only way they won't be toxic is if forced to by the developer then it is the community and not developer at fault. You became the toxic player because you wanted to and justified it by shifting blame to the developers.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I remember Blizzard TRIED to remove anonymity from accounts and there was a huge uproar and they backtracked. But here's the facts, if shit is anonymous, shit is gonna be toxic.

Human nature is a bitch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    I remember Blizzard TRIED to remove anonymity from accounts and there was a huge uproar and they backtracked. But here's the facts, if shit is anonymous, shit is gonna be toxic. Human nature is a bitch.
    Anonymity has nothing to do with it. Facebook for example is full of toxic stuff and it has "real names" attached to it. Yes you can easily fake it or have troll accounts but a lot still are toxic under there actual names. You also have the people that read a news article about a terrible person then go to their profile with comments and stuff.

People are just toxic. One of the reasons why REAL ID was seen as a problem is because people could then dox or take that to the next level. Not the only reason but one of them.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

It's always the players fault. Always. The only thing Blizzard is responsible for is not limiting the size of their player base and charging to low a monthly price to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    That was literally just mirroring your own words. Don't really need a counterargument when there wasn't an argument to begin with.
    You are doing it again.
    'I have no counterargument so i will use your words but opposite'.

"It has been in the game for X amount of time" isn't a good argument either.
    For me it is.

The backpack was only 16 slots for the longest time, does that mean it should have stayed that way forever?
    It is not 16 slot... atleast for a few years now (in Classic around several months).
    Google why it was hard to increase size of it and you will understand.
    Nobody was against it.

Of course not, because you should look at what these things add to the game overall and I don't think emotes like /spit add anything positive to the game whatsoever.
    Your opinion and i do not agree with it which is fine.

99% of the time it's just an outlet for expressing passive aggressive anger and contempt.
    Not true.
    I use emotes like /hug /thanks /hello /silly much more often.
    There should be some 'negative' ones to counter these too.
    And again... pepole have to stop being fragile seeing a few fixels on their screen.

What good is that to the game other than to stoke toxic interactions?
    Uhh...
    RP reasons?
    Silly interactions with other people/friends?
    Showing others that you do not like store mounts in the game?
    Other faction can see it regardless of language?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei View Post
    Yeah, I mean if you're working a 9 to 5 job and making $20 an hour and some other guy is selling crack and making $10,000 a day you should sell crack too. If you don't then you'll be in a losing position.
    That's exactly what is happening in a lot of countries, at least in Latin America. And yes, it is ultimately the government's fault, if nothing else because the "$20 an jour" jobs yield actually a lot less, to the point that you cannot physically live on a minimum wage.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Example: I was against ninja-looting back in old times. But Blizzard did nothing to prevent ninja-looters from doing it. So I adapted and started to ninja-loot too, because otherwise I would be in constant lose position vs other players. Can I be blamed for becoming ninja-looter?
    Yes.
    I never had to ninja-loot and invent excuse to claim it's not my responsibility. You're just acting like a child.