1. #1

    Legion Timewalking Mage Tower Achievements

    So, there is a mount for doing all challenges. What do you think, will the guides from Legion be still useful for these challenges, or will we have to get new ones?
    Because without the Artifact weapons and with disabled Legion legendaries, some things will surely not work as they did before.

    I wish I had time to look to the PTR.

  2. #2
    I did most of the fights (30/36) in Legion, so on the one hand I think it's within my capabilities, especially if they're redesigning them. Shadowlands borrowed power might be enough to replace some of the Legion stuff.

    What I'm worried about is the healing challenge. I never completed the healing challenges like I did every Tank and DPS one because I just couldn't target the ghosts long enough to properly heal them in time. I'm convinced it was latency issues, and I'm worried about the one mount from the vote that I actually wanted (which, as I feared, looks awesome) is out of reach because I live on another continent.

  3. #3
    I believe that some of the guides should still be useful. if there are some that are not useful it's probably because they have lost or changed some of the abilities of the specs, or they have changed some of the spell timers on the challenges.

  4. #4
    TBH I don't see why the removal of artifact weapons would change anything in a major way

    Also, considering past timewalking experiences, I'm expecting the mage tower to actually be much easier than it was originally. TW is supposed to be casual content. It's definitely not gonna be harder than doing mage tower in 7.3 gear, potentially even easier.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2021-10-01 at 07:48 AM.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

    Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    TBH I don't see why the removal of artifact weapons would change anything in a major way

    Also, considering past timewalking experiences, I'm expecting the mage tower to actually be much easier than it was originally. TW is supposed to be casual content. It's definitely not gonna be harder than doing mage tower in 7.3 gear, potentially even easier.
    I hope so, I did most of my challenges in 7.3. Though at some point, I had enought experience to suceed on some challenges with ease. Boomkin challenge was so easy that I did it on 2nd attempt - would have been the first if I had not forget to use drums. Shame on me.

    Healer challenge was the most difficult for me as well, because it was so long. Especially babysitting the 3 NPCs while they are hitting each other and pumping out heal on ghosts was quite annoying. Having latency on top of that is a nightmare.

  6. #6
    So, I have dabbled a bit in the PTR Mage Tower and it was definitively not tuned as it was at the end of Legion. What is much worse - you cannot use Legion legendaries, but also not our current ones, or the pact features.

    I surely will complete the frost mage one, the current spec of my main, but I am really not sure how the rest will work out. I especially missed survival legendaries like Prydaz or Roots of Shaldrassil on my BM Hunter alt. There was too much unavoidable damage in this fight. :/

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by scubi666stacy View Post
    So, I have dabbled a bit in the PTR Mage Tower and it was definitively not tuned as it was at the end of Legion. What is much worse - you cannot use Legion legendaries, but also not our current ones, or the pact features.

    I surely will complete the frost mage one, the current spec of my main, but I am really not sure how the rest will work out. I especially missed survival legendaries like Prydaz or Roots of Shaldrassil on my BM Hunter alt. There was too much unavoidable damage in this fight. :/
    What ilvl were you when you did it? Is it all scaled to a certain ilvl instead? Could a fresh level 60 complete this or does a min ilvl need to be acquired first?

  8. #8
    I do wonder how guardian druids will scale then, since a part of why there's was so easy compared to other tank challenges was that they had the ability to do damage to the boss while outranging his debuff pool. Hopefully they shrink it a bit then, since guardian also had the largest debuff pool to deal with but again, the legendary made it irrelevant.

    Didn't think about BM though, the survival on that one was rough compared to other classes doing it.

    the real question is, can the twins still be cheesed through a well placed Mortal Coil/Typhoon? I would think that would be one of their first things to fix.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by scubi666stacy View Post
    So, I have dabbled a bit in the PTR Mage Tower and it was definitively not tuned as it was at the end of Legion. What is much worse - you cannot use Legion legendaries, but also not our current ones, or the pact features.

    I surely will complete the frost mage one, the current spec of my main, but I am really not sure how the rest will work out. I especially missed survival legendaries like Prydaz or Roots of Shaldrassil on my BM Hunter alt. There was too much unavoidable damage in this fight. :/
    I'm sure it will be tuned down before going live. I would be very surprised if they intended timewalking content to be mythic raider level challenge for the very few. Maybe it will make it to live servers slightly overtund and then they will nerf it later after people whine enough

    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    What ilvl were you when you did it? Is it all scaled to a certain ilvl instead? Could a fresh level 60 complete this or does a min ilvl need to be acquired first?
    Ilvl is normalized in all timewalking - every item is brought down to the same max. ilvl, so it should be quite easy to get in on any character. Of course it will still be better if your gear has good stats for your class, if it has a lot of these stats (some older items have 3 stats for example), or it if has sockets or weird proc effects (if all of them are not nerfed).
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

    Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    What ilvl were you when you did it? Is it all scaled to a certain ilvl instead? Could a fresh level 60 complete this or does a min ilvl need to be acquired first?
    Afaik you will be scaled down to item level 50 and SL character level. I guess being 60 helps with having all regular talents and spells for your class.

    My hunter alt is 60 with item level of about 220 but not optimised in secondary stats and not using any legendary.

    Anyway, I plan to optimise my gear a bit and probably farm some items with sockets.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I do wonder how guardian druids will scale then, since a part of why there's was so easy compared to other tank challenges was that they had the ability to do damage to the boss while outranging his debuff pool. Hopefully they shrink it a bit then, since guardian also had the largest debuff pool to deal with but again, the legendary made it irrelevant.

    Didn't think about BM though, the survival on that one was rough compared to other classes doing it.

    the real question is, can the twins still be cheesed through a well placed Mortal Coil/Typhoon? I would think that would be one of their first things to fix.
    Outranging was only possible with a specific legendary which I did not have at that time. For Guardians, the AoE effect on the ground also was much larger than for all other tanks.

    And I only tested the Twins on my Frost Mage main, so don't know about the special cases.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by scubi666stacy View Post
    Outranging was only possible with a specific legendary which I did not have at that time. For Guardians, the AoE effect on the ground also was much larger than for all other tanks.

    And I only tested the Twins on my Frost Mage main, so don't know about the special cases.
    There was luffas that was the go-to, but you could also use the legendary chest that boosted the strength of your druid spec passive, including whatever one you picked as a talent.
    If you picked balance affinity, it gave the same range basically but not the extra damage that luffas gave.

    But that's my concern, the much larger area staying would end up with a harder challenge since no legendaries work.

    And dang. I would imagine they did fix the mortal coil/typhoon cheese but never hurts to try.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    There was luffas that was the go-to, but you could also use the legendary chest that boosted the strength of your druid spec passive, including whatever one you picked as a talent.
    If you picked balance affinity, it gave the same range basically but not the extra damage that luffas gave.

    But that's my concern, the much larger area staying would end up with a harder challenge since no legendaries work.

    And dang. I would imagine they did fix the mortal coil/typhoon cheese but never hurts to try.
    Yup they fixed the Mortal Coil/Typhoon cheese.

  13. #13
    I got most of them done in Legion, but that was a lot thanks to getting higher ilvl at the end of Legion than what was available at the release of the Mage Tower.
    Since we're being scaled down and can't outgear them now, I'm guessing I won't get many of them done this time around as I'm not a good player... unless Blizzard makes them easier.

    Unlike some other people in this thread, I got all the healing challenges done, but the only tank challenge I managed to get done(granted, I didn't really give them a proper try because they just felt so impossible to me and I was burned out from gearing all my characters in a short period of time) was the demon hunter one, and that one I got done by just smashing random buttons. DH ez mode I guess. So I'm worried I won't get any of the tank challenges done for the mount.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Yutilk View Post
    Yup they fixed the Mortal Coil/Typhoon cheese.
    If they did you are going to want permanent slow corruption and rooting trinkets it was one of the most brutal towers without the cheese.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Postmasters View Post
    If they did you are going to want permanent slow corruption and rooting trinkets it was one of the most brutal towers without the cheese.
    ahh interesting and noted!

  16. #16
    I'm thinking Windwalker should be the easiest Worm challenge. Interrupts and mobility.

    Probably Unholy for Imp Mother, that was legit the easiest of any challenge with their insane opening burst.

    Twins, probably Balance, I remember that being the easiest twins. Hated twins.

    Hmm the Hall of Valor one? Arcane can no longer blink heal, so probably Ret?

    Xylem hmm, who has a good AOE slow for the ghosts?

    Tank, I dont know. Paladin had a ton of free interrupts in phase 1, but the health pool was bigger. DH had the easiest final phase since you have glide to save you from the knockback.

    Heals? Ugh, what healer is best DPS?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    I'm thinking Windwalker should be the easiest Worm challenge. Interrupts and mobility.

    Probably Unholy for Imp Mother, that was legit the easiest of any challenge with their insane opening burst.

    Twins, probably Balance, I remember that being the easiest twins. Hated twins.

    Hmm the Hall of Valor one? Arcane can no longer blink heal, so probably Ret?

    Xylem hmm, who has a good AOE slow for the ghosts?

    Tank, I dont know. Paladin had a ton of free interrupts in phase 1, but the health pool was bigger. DH had the easiest final phase since you have glide to save you from the knockback.

    Heals? Ugh, what healer is best DPS?
    I did Windwalker last because it was my latest alt to get to max level and get gear, so I had much practice and feeling for the encounter. But yes, it seemed easier than Disc or Warlock. Hunter was relatively OK back then, but I had a good legendary for that encounter.
    I used a lot of extra consumables and other shenanigans for the Imp Mother, so I cannot say if Unholy would be the easiest. I had the impression that Fire Mage was a bit better, but Mage is my main character and Fire was my main spec in Legion.
    Twins was extremely easy with Balance. I almost got it down on the first try if I had not forget to bring drums. But I don't know if it will be the same now. Frost Mage seemed decent to me on the PTR. MM Hunter was not that bad either.
    In Legion, Retri and Enhancement had been the classes where I had the easiest time with Sigryn. Arcane Mage was a bit harder, but I had a good legendary. I plan to try Mage first, and if that fails, to switch to my Paladin. I am a bit rusty with Retri, but at least I could faceroll Nathria LFR.
    Xylem still gives me nightmares. I probably would try Hunter first, because of the pet.
    With Tank challenges, I had the easiest time on my Paladin (optimal legendary though) and Monk was rather easy after I got used to the CDs and got a perfect lineup for phase 2. So I will probably go for the Paladin again.
    Healers is a bit tricky. I would try Paladin, but Holy Priest could be a good bet either. Probably Druid as well, but my Priest and Druid are still at 50.
    I just don't have time to play all my characters currently. -.-

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Postmasters View Post
    If they did you are going to want permanent slow corruption and rooting trinkets it was one of the most brutal towers without the cheese.
    I did not had the slow ring legendary with the Warlocks where I did the Twins. I used the Infernal strategy but I don't know if this will work this time. Though I had an interesting interaction with Mirror Images when testing Frost Mage. Sometimes, they got aggro off from me, sometimes not. :O

  18. #18
    I fiddled with it too, but now it's okay

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Explicit Teemo Nudes View Post
    I got most of them done in Legion, but that was a lot thanks to getting higher ilvl at the end of Legion than what was available at the release of the Mage Tower.
    Since we're being scaled down and can't outgear them now, I'm guessing I won't get many of them done this time around as I'm not a good player... unless Blizzard makes them easier.

    Unlike some other people in this thread, I got all the healing challenges done, but the only tank challenge I managed to get done(granted, I didn't really give them a proper try because they just felt so impossible to me and I was burned out from gearing all my characters in a short period of time) was the demon hunter one, and that one I got done by just smashing random buttons. DH ez mode I guess. So I'm worried I won't get any of the tank challenges done for the mount.
    Well for me it was some kind of a trade-off - I had to overgear many fights to some extent because these characters have been alts with only a limited selection of legendaries (mostly not useful to the fight except as a stat stick) and no raid gear at all, so no nice tier set bonuses. And for some fights, I had some dozen attempts until I got it right. But I did all 36 at least twice, so I expect to be able to clear at least some of the TW ones - hopefully enough for the mount.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    I'm thinking Windwalker should be the easiest Worm challenge. Interrupts and mobility.
    Agree. It was the easiest last time; it just has a large and varied utility kit compared to the other specs on this challenge. (Honestly, I think this was the last one made- a catch-all for the specs that didn't have a more obvious fit)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Probably Unholy for Imp Mother, that was legit the easiest of any challenge with their insane opening burst.
    Agree again. I also thought it was the easiest challenge last time. I think Fury might actually have a harder time of it this time around w/o the Artifact ability to clear out the Umbrals asap.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Twins, probably Balance, I remember that being the easiest twins. Hated twins.
    Tough call here. Even not counting covenant abilities, Balance is pretty CD dependent- on long CDs- so that will make the Hands tougher perhaps. It'll burn the boss pretty fast, but I imagine you will really have to make sure you are entering an eclipse right as the hand comes and that you have some Starsurges banked for it. I might give the edge to Frost or Marks, but I'm definitely not sure this time around.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Hmm the Hall of Valor one? Arcane can no longer blink heal, so probably Ret?
    Was the blink heal a legendary (that I didn't have)? I remember Arcane being the hardest of the DPS challenges. Ret is a good choice, I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Xylem hmm, who has a good AOE slow for the ghosts?
    SV has good AoE slows; they are probably a good choice. Last time, I think Havoc had the easiest time in that spot due to massive cleave damage, and I think they probably will again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Tank, I dont know. Paladin had a ton of free interrupts in phase 1, but the health pool was bigger. DH had the easiest final phase since you have glide to save you from the knockback.
    Agree here. DH was one of if not the least hard tank ones last time imo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Heals? Ugh, what healer is best DPS?
    I think it's less about DPS and more about the right CDs for the second to last phase. I think Shaman or Monk will be two of the best, but it really really really depends on tuning of course.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •