Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's how this works.

I got AW3423DW and I am fully expecting it to last maybe 4 years at most before I'll have to demote it to a secondary monitor because of burn-in.

OLED 100% burns in, as I can attest from 2 Samsung phones I have in the family - Galaxy S20+ where burn it developed after a year and a half and was so sever I opted to replace the screen (second screen seems to hold well so far since) and A50-something that also has visible burn in.

I hope AW3423DW will last a bit more, I try to babysit it as much as I can - did everything I can to mitigate burn-in potential, but I know that in the end it will happen, so I am calm about it - I know it's a product with expiration date.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    That's how this works.

I got AW3423DW and I am fully expecting it to last maybe 4 years at most before I'll have to demote it to a secondary monitor because of burn-in.

OLED 100% burns in, as I can attest from 2 Samsung phones I have in the family - Galaxy S20+ where burn it developed after a year and a half and was so sever I opted to replace the screen (second screen seems to hold well so far since) and A50-something that also has visible burn in.

I hope AW3423DW will last a bit more, I try to babysit it as much as I can - did everything I can to mitigate burn-in potential, but I know that in the end it will happen, so I am calm about it - I know it's a product with expiration date.
    From what I've seen it does have some additional cooling features compared to QD-OLED TVs, but at least there is the 3 year burn-in guarantee on it if things go bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    From what I've seen it does have some additional cooling features compared to QD-OLED TVs, but at least there is the 3 year burn-in guarantee on it if things go bad.
    Does a pixel refresh every 4h of usage (you get prompted to do that or you can choose to do it when ,in standby mode) and has a cooling fan inside that sounds like a breath (can only be heard when there's absolute silence).
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't count on cooling fan and that (annoying AF) pixel refresh as anything much in the long run. OLED's OLED, it will go. If fans would be the solution, you'd have every panel come with one.

Warranty is nice though, something a bit more substantial. Sure, you'd get some beat up refurb, but it's still better than burned-in screen.

The biggest thing for me here is... acceptance. I bought a bottle of milk with ~3-4 years expiration date, I won't go fainting if after 3-4 years it expires.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Does a pixel refresh every 4h of usage (you get prompted to do that or you can choose to do it when ,in standby mode) and has a cooling fan inside that sounds like a breath (can only be heard when there's absolute silence).
    I have to say, this motherfucking prompt slapping you mid screen is so tilt. You're in the middle of action and BAM "Pixel refresh, bitch. <A paragraph of stuff and option choices 1/4 a screen size right in the middle>".

They should have at least put this to the side, like bottom right or some shit. I know you just fiddle with joystick and dismiss it quick, but you do that shit mid M.Raz progression when everything fucking explodes around you.

I wouldn't count on cooling fan and that (annoying AF) pixel refresh as anything much in the long run. OLED's OLED, it will go. If fans would be the solution, you'd have every panel come with one.

Warranty is nice though, something a bit more substantial. Sure, you'd get some beat up refurb, but it's still better than burned-in screen.

The biggest thing for me here is... acceptance. I bought a bottle of milk with ~3-4 years expiration date, I won't go fainting if after 3-4 years it expires.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say, this motherfucking prompt slapping you mid screen is so tilt. You're in the middle of action and BAM "Pixel refresh, bitch. <A paragraph of stuff and option choices 1/4 a screen size right in the middle>".

They should have at least put this to the side, like bottom right or some shit. I know you just fiddle with joystick and dismiss it quick, but you do that shit mid M.Raz progression when everything fucking explodes around you.
    You know you can set the screen to not ask you anymore, don't you?
    Rogues are fine ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Yeah that is still holding me back from going with the C3. Still worries me that I might have to throw it away as E-waste in 3-4 years. Granted it seems W-OLED seems to be holding better than QD-OLED for bright static objects at least. So that is sort of pushing me towards it. But am still so disappointed about the G7 sucking. Wish MicroLED was a thing already.

Yeah, tell me about it. My oculus rift still collects dust.

On LG oled's my understanding is they use a few ways to combat static images, to the point where really, only screens that dont' display mixed content will be affected during the expected life of the set.

So, here is how it does it(my understanding)

First is logo dimming. This is where the set identifies static portions of the images and dims them along with the area around them, in order to try to reduce uneven wear. On the CX at least, you could actually adjust the aggressiveness of this.

Second thing is the screen movement. So with this, the TV itself will leave a small unnoticable black bar around some sides of the screen. This creates a negative space, and then the whole image is very subtly rotated(think wax on wax off from karate kid). It is near impossible to notice during use without standing directly by the screen and observing the black edge which will swell and shrink as the image is slowly moving.

Third things is a pixel refresher service that runs automatically about halfway thru the lifetime of the set. It can also be operated manually in the event that you detect burn-in, but iirc it may reduce the life of your set so only do so when prompted.

So, basically, mixed content will generally prevent noticeable burn in over the lifetime of the set.

So it would likely work well as a gaming monitor for people who primarly use their PC for gaming and then either have a screensaver(the LG has one built in, but only works(that I know of) when the hdmi source is off) or shut the monitor down when not gaming, it would likely be 100% fine.

Nintendo used OLED as does Sony's new VR headset. The pic quality is 100% improvement over the old sets and imo, it would be relatively difficult to burn-in during the expected lifetime of these sets(4 years, just my suggestion, and you really should replace after 4 years, imo, otherwise you will miss a lot of improvements, can push to 5, but my suggestion for monitor with any kind of usage being applied to it is 4 years, cell phone 2 years) unless you were mainly running one singular static image an irresponsible amount of the time.

Like getting my switch to burn in on the home screen would be relatively difficult for me, even though others perhaps do so by accident. Simple planning for the usage of the panel is in order here. If you have one singular static image to display for a long time(like a toolbar on windows), maybe sacrifice that image quality and get a LCD, but for most people(imho) oled is the way. However, just because your gaming rig runs windows doesn't mean you should exclude yourself from OLED, in fact, your rig is truly gimped without it, if you consider picture quality important.

The Switch may have a better display panel than one's 4000 dollar computer, due to(perhaps in some cases unfounded) fear of burn-in.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2023-03-30 at 07:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    You know you can set the screen to not ask you anymore, don't you?
    I know bruh, you know you can have a little benefit of the doubt - it's literal one of the options.

But here comes the point where - you actually do want to do shit as recommended. So I don't want to permanently or semi-permanently remove the notification and then forget about it.

OLED owner would understand.

Is this all just relating to this monitor? Or are all oled still burn in vulnerable. I had initial gen plasma but reading what you guys are doing is beyond what I had to do. And my plasma still works.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Is this all just relating to this monitor? Or are all oled still burn in vulnerable. I had initial gen plasma but reading what you guys are doing is beyond what I had to do. And my plasma still works.
    AFAIK, yes every OLED is. W-OLED seems(don't know yet) to be less because the white light can just ramp up when it's starting to weaken.

I like the QLED monitors now. My NEO G9 has been going strong since November when it came out and I haven't had an issue with it yet. I did update the firmware as soon as I got it setup to avoid the HDR issue, but I love it. I use mine in HDR at all times and the color really pops out when watching HDR content or playing games. The picture is pretty close to an OLED from what I understand, just without the burn in issues. If I had to do it again I would go with a more standard form factor than super ultrawide. Then novelty has worn off on that and many of the games cutscenes don't render in full screen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by amarrite View Post
    I like the QLED monitors now. My NEO G9 has been going strong since November when it came out and I haven't had an issue with it yet. I did update the firmware as soon as I got it setup to avoid the HDR issue, but I love it. I use mine in HDR at all times and the color really pops out when watching HDR content or playing games. The picture is pretty close to an OLED from what I understand, just without the burn in issues. If I had to do it again I would go with a more standard form factor than super ultrawide. Then novelty has worn off on that and many of the games cutscenes don't render in full screen.
    Glad your Neo G9 hasn't had any issues. I finally stopped trying to get one that was acceptably functional.

- - - Updated - - -

I know bruh, you know you can have a little benefit of the doubt - it's literal one of the options.

But here comes the point where - you actually do want to do shit as recommended. So I don't want to permanently or semi-permanently remove the notification and then forget about it.

OLED owner would understand.
    Hashtag made to degrade. 43 days later, even with every preventative measure and careful mitigation attempt, my AW QD-OLED (latest model) has the dreaded gray schmutz appearing on static backgrounds. Back to QLED for me.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Femininity View Post
    Glad your Neo G9 hasn't had any issues. I finally stopped trying to get one that was acceptably functional.
    My vanilla g9 randomly loses signal and turns black when playing with VRR
    Rogues are fine ©
    Haste will fix it ©

15+ Year Old Account
    Burnin is hardly a problem outside of perhaps office hour usage with static windows applications and a crappy batch lottery if even that nowdays.
    Burnin can happen yet one might ponder why the increase in modern (standard) OLED as monitor screen usage has increased and burnin being less of a problem.

---

On the topic of Odessey Neo G9.
    Well it took 14 months but then I sadly joined the club of people experiencing what happens when Samsung push the limit of their capabilities and rolled the dice.
    Which by now everyone should know equals shit QA on their flagships.
    Samsung wasn't and isn't ready to push those panels and refreshrates, seems like a 20% whatnot RMA. Personally when I contacted Samsung and they sent a technician, he took it away and 10 days later I had 1700€ payback on my creditcard.
    No contact or questions, seemed liked it was a well known support ticke issue for them.
    Sucks though, I love the specs and that G9 and now G8 are white and not ugly ass typical monitor look.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2023-05-13 at 04:52 AM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

What happened to your G9? Mine luckily is still going strong.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by amarrite View Post
    What happened to your G9? Mine luckily is still going strong.
    Started to go black on and off with HDR enabled including the OSD which was odd since it should work even without the monitor connected to anything. It's one hell of a troubled family of monitors those flagships of Samsung.
    Googling them aint pretty hehe.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2023-05-18 at 03:47 AM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

LG 48GQ900-B Here and it was a mistake.

I've only had it for about 6 months, so burn in isnt a problem. The biggest reason I hate it is the dimming. It dims automatically when it thinks im not using it to prevent burn in. For games its ok, since theres a lot of action. If im reading something, watching a movie, or doing any productivity work, it dims to almost unusable levels. I have to shake the mouse every couple minutes which is really annoying. Being used purely for gaming, its sublime.. I use my pc for work too and its going to get switched for my regular IPS ultrawide soon.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

I think whenever I decide to upgrade I'll just go back to a 16:9 monitor for gaming. Ultrawide was cool in the beginning but it's becoming sort of a headache to deal with if you ever need to move it. I've noticed with mine I use the left side of my G9 for web browsing and the right side for random stuff. This causes me to get a crick in my neck that I didn't used to get with a standard monitor.