Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Lolwhat?

youtube;YpuRcmPnSTM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpuRcmPnSTM
    Sorry what do I need to explain?

The First 48 would generate way more attention if it reported all the missing white girls since that’s what generates attention. They don’t though. They investigate crimes of all ethnicities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Sorry what do I need to explain?
    How you reconcile two contradictory stances as if it's remotely logical. Rofl.

You're literally making an argument which is the coverage equivalent of "I have an X friend".
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I’ve watched enough investigation shows like Dateline and the First 48 to tell you that they don’t discriminate investigations based on race. Try again. Especially when half the detectives are black.
    Then link the evidence showing that your initial statement is true or STFU. Plus, you've got new evidence to procure - Mr. "half the detectives are black".

Remember - you saying something doesn't mean it's true, even if you have watched all the Datelines and First 48's in the whole wide world.

They aren’t going to show you every little detail. They have to fit it in a half hour to an hour program. They are real cases though.
    So is cops. Until you realize that all those "positive" drug tests were total bogus garbage. Or until you find out how many people were coerced into admitting a crime and being arrested by the producers of the show working with the officers (it's good TV!) only to have charges dropped afterwards because there was no actual crime or no evidence to charge them.

Man, why is it the people complain about Hollywood and shit always seem to think that entertainment TV is like, real fuckin life?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So is cops. Until you realize that all those "positive" drug tests were total bogus garbage. Or until you find out how many people were coerced into admitting a crime and being arrested by the producers of the show working with the officers (it's good TV!) only to have charges dropped afterwards because there was no actual crime or no evidence to charge them.

Man, why is it the people complain about Hollywood and shit always seem to think that entertainment TV is like, real fuckin life?
    Well it’s a good thing Cops isn’t a show anymore, and neither is Live PD.

5+ Year Old Account
    Hey get back on topic, we're deviating unnecessarily.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Why does it matter what color she was? If anything the case got so much attention:

1. because she was attractive
    2. because he got away

People like you don’t need to play the race card every chance you get.
    Right. Then people like you defend racism by reducing it to the equivalent of a card game. Every chance you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Right. Then people like you defend racism by reducing it to the equivalent of a card game. Every chance you get.
    Keep playing that card.

You're the pot calling the kettle black.
    Last edited by muto; 2021-10-27 at 10:48 PM.

Keep playing that card.

You're the pot calling the kettle black.
    Nah, forbidden topic. The truth speaks for itself here. No reason to chase it.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Nah, forbidden topic. The truth speaks for itself here. No reason to chase it.
    What truth? Let’s hear it, because it’s definitely not speaking for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Umm idk if you've ever watched Fox news or not, but that obviously is not happening. They mention every chance they get about black-on-black crime in the same matter as you are, to push an agenda.

Shame.
    Huge shame indeed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm thinking suicide.
    I'm thinking Arby's.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    One of the outcomes of this case is exactly what you've brought up - white girl missing gets national attention and it's own theme music, while dozens of non-white girls go missing every day, and nothing is reported.

- - - Updated - - -

It does matter, because it is a race issue. Plenty of other cases just like this where the missing weren't white and nothing gets done or reported. The "white girl missing" issue is a major racial problem.

People like you don't need to question something they don't bother to look into. You don't need to deny the race card every chance you get.
    It's not a race issue.
    Over 200,000 young women and girls go missing in the U.S. every year, the vast majority of them do not receive news coverage regardless of their race(and spoiler alert, the majority of those are white). We'd be drowning in nothing but missing persons cases if they were all reported on.
    Gabby's case went viral for quite a few reasons.
    1) A prebuilt group interested in her because of her social media presence.
    2) The extremely obvious murderer.
    3) The police bungling it up so badly by letting Brian slip away.

Also, the case of Maya Millete has had national attention starting from the beginning of the year but you're just ignoring it because it doesn't fit into your biases.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    It's not a race issue.
    Over 200,000 young women and girls go missing in the U.S. every year, the vast majority of them do not receive news coverage regardless of their race(and spoiler alert, the majority of those are white). We'd be drowning in nothing but missing persons cases if they were all reported on.

Also, the case of Maya Millete has had national attention starting from the beginning of the year but you're just ignoring it because it doesn't fit into your biases.
    That's the point, the vast majority of them that do get attention... are pretty white girls. Once again, that's not to say that we shouldn't care, but the discrepancy in who gets the attention is quite obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    That's the point, the vast majority of them that do get attention... are pretty white girls. Once again, that's not to say that we shouldn't care, but the discrepancy in who gets the attention is quite obvious.
    Me: *Points out nationally reported case of a missing Filipino women*
    You: "Why is it only pretty white girls that get reported on?"
    SMH

Me: *Points out nationally reported case of a missing Filipino women*
    You: "Why is it only pretty white girls that get reported on?"
    SMH
    I didn't say it is only them; read again. The level of coverage is also far different. Petite was front page on many national sites for more than a month. Ironically; the focus on a couple recent disappearances of minority women, is a direct result of people pointing out that the focus is almost always on pretty white women and girls going missing.

Meh still seems odd that his parents pointed to a specific area and were like oh ho we found the body you've all been looking for.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's not a race issue.

Plenty of other cases that could have garnered the same attention. The issue with only pretty-white-girls getting the national media attention.

Link the stories of her. Link the weeks of stories covering her disappearance and the national man-hunt that took place to find her and her potential killer. We'll wait.
    (not ALL the stories, just week-after-week of front page on multiple national news media sites will do)

I love that you think us pointing out obvious racism is "bias". Let us know when you catch up with reality, we'll welcome you back with open arms.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Meh still seems odd that his parents pointed to a specific area and were like oh ho we found the body you've all been looking for.
    I think that will be an "issue" with this case for awhile. More than likely never properly resolved. Parents will go to almost any length to protect their children. Dexter is a real phenomenon, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hrm....

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I mean, we rarely know or can predict why one story catches the eye of the media over another.

Even within the same demographic, you think Petito is the only "pretty white girl" to die or go missing this year? Of course not.

By the same token, who thought that the George Floyd story would blow up over all other stories the way it did while no one heard of anyone else like Tony Timpa?

Besides, do we really need to go leveraging every tragedy as a way to give totally unrelated people a way to play victim? Hearing people come out of the woodwork talking about how, "Well if they were black..." or something every time something happens that doesn't even involve them is kind of disgusting.
    I mean, of course there are varying factors. But there is an ongoing obvious bias to the "white-girl-missing" phenomenon, wherein they get a ridiculously disproportional amount of media and law enforcement attention. I would even go so far to admit that media attention at times drives law enforcement involvement vis a vis "pressure". But it still doesn't remove the clear bias.