Poll: Dou you lean Right or left?

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I mean... people who rail against immigrants and want to separate cultures, that's exactly what it is. We have a dude in this thread who wants the government to mandate segregation, and kick out all brown people.
    Being against illegal immigration and wanting a strong but fair border is not racist or unjust.
    Wanting to kick out people because of their skin color is shitty and horrible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Criticism is not censorship.

- - - Updated - - -

All this because you can't handle critism about your favorite books.

jesus
    I watched the films because people I care about liked them. It seemed more geared towards young people and children to be honest.
    I can handle criticism, but I did not know giving criticism back was "not handling it".

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurgjelme View Post

I watched the films because people I care about liked them. It seemed more geared towards young people and children to be honest.
    I can handle criticism, but I did not know giving criticism back was "not handling it".

The criticism of Endus was mostly about the books, which make this all a lot more obvious, but quoting some article is not even your own criticism of it, just Rowling trying to defend herself.

But feel free to continue whining about being oppressed and how everything is seen as racist because it hurts your feelings.

So is this the MMO-C right winger version of Dr Seuss being cancelled?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    The criticism of Endus was mostly about the books, which make this all a lot more obvious, but quoting some article is not even your own criticism of it, just Rowling trying to defend herself.

But feel free to continue whining about being oppressed and how everything is seen as racist because it hurts your feelings.
    Jokes on you, I dont have any feelings!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Nothing good ever came from the censorship that is being proposed.
    Proposed when?
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Don't use anti-semitic tropes for greedy bankers.
    How do i know its anti-semitic stereotype? I would have to have prior knowledge of that for it to be harmul, no?
    Or is it bad because it came from a stereotype as in stereotypes are defined as bad ergo genetic falacy.

Include a diverse cast of characters, that isn't exploitative
    Not sure wether this is "if do" like the line bellow or "do do" so lets try former because the latter would seem unworkable.
    Why? What does exploitation even mean? What is the metric here?
    Why are characters not allowed to be negative nor unimportant nor even plot devices?
    How does that reflect onto anything outside of the piece of work? Does there have to be a message in there?

or stereotyped.
    Actually i sometimes hear that if its not a stereptype its not diverse and if its a stereotype its stereotype therefore bad.
    Or that does stereotype just mean "not complex enough".
    If you're going to include slavery, don't make the slaves complicit, and don't make freeing them a joke nobody takes seriously.
    I though slavery meant forced servitude, not optional servitude for the sake of it.
    Why exactly are people not allowed to make what are essentially thought experiments?

These were things that had to be created. "Fixing" them is as simple as not making those choices as an author in the first place.
    I am still not sure wether the problem is the thing being created or the way in witch it was created.

Being against illegal immigration and wanting a strong but fair border is not racist or unjust.
    Wanting to kick out people because of their skin color is shitty and horrible.

- - - Updated - - -

It is, if the reasoning is that you don't like the color of their skin, their nationality, or the culture they come from. Basing it on legality is a red herring, because I can simply respond with, "Then, make them legal, and you have nothing to complain about."

10+ Year Old Account
    Folks, folks, there is such a thing as excessive critical discourse analysis.

This Harry Potter thing is line with the whole Tolkien is racist because orcs being bad is synonymous with a belief that some races are better than others.

Hit pieces written by arm-chair academics (hehe) or bloggers that are hijacking serious issues in a frivolous way in a desperate attempt to acquire some measure of relevancy shouldn't be taken seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    This Harry Potter thing is line with the whole Tolkien is racist because orcs being bad is synonymous with a belief that some races are better than others.
    That is correct as a general analisys, but here comes the Tolkien geek. Orcs are bad because they have been created by someone (Melkor, aka Morgoth) that was trying to enslave the whole world of Arda. They have been created using the enslaved Elfs, because Morgoth didn't had the power to give life. Orcs are bad because their porpuse was to serve the darkness of their lord, 1st Morgoth and later Sauron.

I didn't mean to open that can because of HP.
    The point was more that some people can enjoy some aspects of something while not condoning all of it.
    Take Dave Chapelle and his trans friend Daphne? was it.
    He's getting shit on now over it yet they were friends.
    Related cause he's team Terf with JKR.
    Even her family have come out in support of him.

But he doesn't have to agree with all of it and that also doesn't make him anti trans.
    Same for republicans.
    It's so dumb that anyone that doesn't tow the Trump party line is insta RINO and exiled.
    So yes, I feel we can be a bit of two of something.
    Life is complex and to try and pretend otherwise is folly.
    So no, having some conservative ideals doesn't make you an insta racist nazi.

Look at Euro this year.
    By watching it and enjoying it doesn't mean you condone the racism that was directed at those guys.
    Or condone all football hooliganism.

Edit:
    Also this:
    [I] For one, Rowling does a great deal of borrowing in her stories. She followed established conventions, endowing her dragons with fiery breath and wings, giving her trolls dim wit and powerful clubs, and her goblins with short stature, hooked noses, and greedy manipulation—archetypes that existed well before Rowling ever put pen to paper. Perhaps Rowling drew her goblin based on the goblins in the Nineteenth Century poem “Goblin Market,” in which goblins lure and trick with “evil gifts.” Or consider JRR Tolkein’s goblin—“A foul creature…slightly smaller, sometimes hunched over or appearing to walk and run with limps.” Or just look up goblin in the dictionary and you find a definition that largely resembles Rowling’s creatures. Perhaps the goblin character has its origins in anti-Semitism, but Rowling can hardly be convicted of unjust commentary for using a now-familiar Western literary character.
    It's a topic for another thread though.
    Last edited by Hollycakes; 2021-10-10 at 07:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    Take Dave Chapelle and his trans friend Daphne? was it.
    He's getting shit on now over it yet they were friends.
    Because TERFs are a hate group. That's why he gets backlash for siding with them. It's like saying you're on "Team White Supremacist" or "Team Gay Basher". It isn't about a "difference of opinion"; the entire goal of those groups is to harass, demean, abuse, or otherwise attack whatever group of innocents they've designated as their targets.

5+ Year Old Account
    Get back on topic this is getting far from the point.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

But he doesn't have to agree with all of it and that also doesn't make him anti trans.
    Same for republicans.
    How can you be team Terf but not be all for it? It sounds like he isn't team Terf in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    How can you be team Terf but not be all for it? It sounds like he isn't team Terf in that case.
    I dunno, that's kind of my point.
    People blankly calling out others saying if they believe in/like one aspect of something they are ALL in.
    I was just trying to use RL examples of things I've noticed that are similar.
    Lot's of us don't live in that black and white world.

I dunno, that's kind of my point.
    People blankly calling out others saying if they believe in/like one aspect of something they are ALL in.
    I was just trying to use RL examples of things I've noticed that are similar.
    Lot's of us don't live in that black and white world.
    Well you said he is team Terf, either he believes all that stuff they stand for or he doesn't.

Unfortunately you don't get to pick and choose when you are talking about supporting things like hate groups. If you are team Terf, its a black and white issue, you're a bad person because you support a hate group.

Its a little different when we are talking about something mundane like a book. Like I can say I enjoyed reading a book without saying every sentence was a good one.

Ok feel free to take all that up with Dave.
    My point stands.
    Didn't realize we had so many Anakin's in life honestly.
    Just because you guys can't see any of the other side doesn't mean others can't.
    I've given enough examples.
    You do get to choose.
    He has a trans friend but doesn't agree with every trans issue I guess.
    It's possible.

Just like having some conservative ideals without being a nazi is.
    But Anakin's aren't having it.
    You can watch the World Cup and not be racist.
    You can have a gay friend and not agree with everything they do.

Such a strange way to look at the many facets of life.
    I mean you all drive cars so you are ALL in on pollution then right?
    You all love and condone fossil fuels right?
    Any plastic straw users?
    Clearly you HATE the environment and the ocean.
    Do you cut up your six pack rings before throwing them out?
    If you don't you obviously LOVE killing turtles right?
    It's all or nothing.

This was a really easy point that shouldn't have gone on this long and we've been warned so I'm stopping here.

Snip
    These are wildly different examples to supporting a hate group, and no, your point doesn't stand at all.

Ok feel free to take all that up with Dave.
    My point stands.
    Didn't realize we had so many Anakin's in life honestly.
    Just because you guys can't see any of the other side doesn't mean others can't.
    I've given enough examples.
    You do get to choose.
    He has a trans friend but doesn't agree with every trans issue I guess.
    It's possible.

Just like having some conservative ideals without being a nazi is.
    But Anakin's aren't having it.
    You can watch the World Cup and not be racist.
    You can have a gay friend and not agree with everything they do.

Such a strange way to look at the many facets of life.
    I mean you all drive cars so you are ALL in on pollution then right?
    You all love and condone fossil fuels right?
    Any plastic straw users?
    Clearly you HATE the environment and the ocean.
    Do you cut up your six pack rings before throwing them out?
    If you don't you obviously LOVE killing turtles right?
    It's all or nothing.

This was a really easy point that shouldn't have gone on this long and we've been warned so I'm stopping here.
    A self identified white supremecist is still 100% a bigot even if they "have a black friend." A TERF is still 100% a bigot even if they "have a trans friend." It just sounds to me you are trying to justify to yourself why you are a fan of some celeb's.

If you're going to include slavery, don't make the slaves complicit, and don't make freeing them a joke nobody takes seriously.
    You didn't read the books if you think that's the case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    Get back on topic this is getting far from the point.
    ouch...where'd you come from?

...hate seeing the warnings only after I post.

lol.
    Just lol.
    I need no justification to like anything or anyone.
    Especially to internet randos.
    I have no problem saying I like Dave.
    I was using examples of how life isn't all black or white.
    Twist that into whatever you want lol.

Sounds to me like you can't read.
    See how that works?

Edit:
    I want to point out allllllll the other all in's I gave and you focused on that one lol.
    Then tried to read some weird thing into it.
    Projection or something something.
    And boy is that a weird interpretation of what I was saying.
    Someone who already admitted to watching his special on Netflix.
    People who don't like him usually don't watch him do they?
    And why would I care about justifying that to internet randos?

Certainly sounds like a reading problem.
    Because you missed the entire point.
    Whether you like it or not, not everyone sees the left/right thing the way you do.
    It's a really simple point that some of you seem to not grasp.

Edit edit:
    I picked that topic cause it's fresh in my mind btw.
    It's brand new on Netflix and I just watched it lol.
    This convo is stupid now and I've said the same thing enough times to make the point.
    Carry on calling each other nazi's and demonizing anything you don't agree with.

I do hope rando internet dude#7845623479845 approves of this message.
    I mean that's why I'm here.
    Last edited by Hollycakes; 2021-10-10 at 11:02 PM.