Poll: Would You Stay Subbed Without Tokens

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    To me it's not really about the token or not - i paid with tokens for a long time but now i cannot simply farm those as the cost skyrocketed due to the drop in playerbase and demand being always higher than offer.

I am subbed til December. I'm fine with it because i have a good guild to play the game with. If i was alone, i would have ditched the game much sooner (and likely returned for the new expansion). Also, next year comes Lost Ark so given i don't have much time to play if the game is good i'll have a choice to make, at least periodically.

So, it all basically depends on a) if i find the game entertaining and b) how easy is to farm tokens. I'm not playing because it's free, i'm playing because it's fun. If it stops being fun i'll sto playing, tokens or not. I think in Legion i wasted something like 8 months of paid sub in tokens because i simply couldn't bother logging in.
    You tried, and you failed. What have you learned? That's better not to try at all.

I pay the 6 months sub which is $13/€11 per month and is already the cheapest payment model and they've been adding rewards on top of it. That's less than a cinema ticket.

I spend less time and effort earning that as opposed to earning the 200k-300k gold for tokens, since I don't enjoy and don't do any grinding besides the absolute minimum. I don't farm Research in Korthia ie.

I did buy tokens a few times just because their price dropped a lot and added them to battlenet balance. And I like having that option, I could buy about ten tokens were I to drain my gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    Kind of misses the entire point. When you put a price tag on something, you put a cap on its worth which is equal to that monetary value. This devalues everything in the game and makes me feel like I wasted my time getting it because I have enough expendable income to just buy anything with significantly fewer hours of work.

Even a 5% chance to get banned is enough to not make me feel stupid about putting the hours in instead of paying real money and taking that risk.
    way to miss the point, indeed.

1. buying gold existed in WoW prior to tokens. it also exists in final fantasy 14, btw - i absolutely did check. Blizzard just took a page from Eve online book and made the transaction safer, profitable for themselves and at least reduced bot problem in a process.
    2. if you feel like you have wasted time getting something trough in game means, then the problem is with the design of that something NOT that you have an option to throw cash at it. or problem with you that you would rather pay to skip the game then play the game.

and that brings me to the point you keep missing. most things in WoW I can earn through gameplay means. I do not need to spend RL money to get vast majority of cosmetics or any of the gear. there are NO items that are shop exclusive and improve my performance above what I can get by just playing the game (this is the key to pay2win btw). granted, last I checked final fantasy doesn't have items like that in a cash shop either, they just have a more extensive cash shop for cosmetics (which honestly - fine, as someone who primarily plays ESO, I cannot possibly hold it against them, given that ESO cash shop is just as extensive, but it still means a lot of cosmetics i HAVE to pay RL money for, I cannot chose to "grind" for them)

the fact that carries are available and have been available since the game released (and they are available for pretty much all MMO's) is not a condemnation of the token. its not in any way, shape or form p2w. and if you do not enjoy the game to the extent where you would rather throw cash at it then play it? then maybe you shouldn't play the game (that doesn't include subscription fee as they are just acess fees to the game content)

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    source: trust me bro
    As someone who played WoW for 12 years and FFXIV for 7, I can safely say that a bunch of transmog that nobody buys (go in game in FFXIV if you don't believe me, nobody wears 80% of the cash shop cosmetics because most of it is old holiday rewards which people either got or don't care enough to buy because it's dumb shit) is far far far far far less hurtful to the integrity of the game than the WoW token.

It's also telling that the only people who ever bring up the number of items in the FFXIV shop are people who have never played the game and just heard the talking point from someone else. Or at best, played the game to level 30 and went "THIS GAME SUX". Either way, they have no clue.

There are a few actual good looking items on the cash shop. There are basically an equal number of mounts as the WoW cash shop has and a few more pets.

And to reiterate, a cash shop that sells only cosmetics is a billion times less harmful than sanctioned gold buying. Do I LIKE cash shops? No. But WoW is on the level of gacha games now. Just swipe, boost, and you've got all the gear and achievements you could want.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    As someone who played WoW for 12 years and FFXIV for 7, I can safely say that a bunch of transmog that nobody buys (go in game in FFXIV if you don't believe me, nobody wears 80% of the cash shop cosmetics because most of it is old holiday rewards which people either got or don't care enough to buy because it's dumb shit) is far far far far far less hurtful to the integrity of the game than the WoW token.

It's also telling that the only people who ever bring up the number of items in the FFXIV shop are people who have never played the game and just heard the talking point from someone else. Or at best, played the game to level 30 and went "THIS GAME SUX". Either way, they have no clue.
    I like how your defense against "source: trust me bro" is "trust me bro."

There are a few actual good looking items on the cash shop. There are basically an equal number of mounts as the WoW cash shop has and a few more pets.

And to reiterate, a cash shop that sells only cosmetics is a billion times less harmful than sanctioned gold buying. Do I LIKE cash shops? No. But WoW is on the level of gacha games now. Just swipe, boost, and you've got all the gear and achievements you could want.
    In FFXIV, on top of the 600 outfits that nobody buys and the literal whale mount that nobody buys, you can also buy a skip for multiple expansions worth of content and you get items that you can exchange for in-game currency when you do it. I mean, I guess it's not as direct as the WoW token but it really does seem like half a dozen of one and six of another. You just prefer one exploitative version of capitalism to the other.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2021-10-08 at 06:41 PM.
    New BiS for 9.1!

[ twitch ][ Retired Semi-retired as of 2018 ] [ The Official MMO-Champion Bingo Card. ] [ WoW's Community in 2021, illustrated ]
    [ That time I predicted the future...twice. ] [ How do you know if somebody posting on a WoW forum is a FFXIV player? Don't worry, they'll tell you. ]

It's always fucking hilarious to me when people compare some cosmetics that no one buys to sanctioned gold buying and carries that a huge part of the community partakes of.
    It's even funnier when someone points at a certain flaw in WoW, real or perceived, and you have immediately the BDF drones and their bUt fF1$ iS W0rSe!1!1!!1 refrain, as if FF14 doing questionable stuff (assuming it is actually questionable and not just cheap FUD tactics) justified WoW doing the same LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    It's not really retconning though. There's plenty we didn't know from WC3 - a story which is just about 20 years old. The Jailer is the backbone of that story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    It's interesting how a character that didn't exist back then could be the backbone of the story. Guess that story must have been an invertebrate then.

Rather paradoxical question for me.

Either the game is enjoyable enough I feel its worth spending my money on.

But conversely, if the game isn't enjoyable enough to spend my money on then why would I devote my time to it to farm gold.