Poll: Would You Stay Subbed Without Tokens

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Would You Be Subbed If You Couldn't Pay For It With Tokens

Simple question and curious to see how much the token factors into someone stays subbed or not.

Poll incoming

I'm in the minority probably but I've not once used a Token. Would rather use a subscription and cancel when I need to than deal with whether or not I've wasted gold/money. Keeps me on my feet for managing my subscriptions to other stuff (i.e. Pandora) as well.

3+ Year Old Account
    Closest answer I have to this question is "not subbed now". I don't really touch the token market in general, so historically, I've preferred to pay out of my own pocket to sub. Blizz got less money out of me being subbed as a result.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why continue to play a 16 year old game that is having massive issues, can't keep up with the modern MMO demands, and is basically being developed by not the original staff, but a bunch of Sylvanas stans who want to write bad fanfiction about Sylvanas's "redemption"?

Also, buying WoW tokens contributes to the pay to win problem. Tokens are $20, normal subs are $15 or less. Blizzard has effectively upped their profits even when losing 60%+ of their playerbase.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

yeah but it would kinda suck because token would be a lot cheaper

5+ Year Old Account
    I have enough gold to buy a handful of tokens, but I'm not going to spend them in this trash expansion. Maybe I will save them for buying 10.0 when it goes on sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Would take me a lot longer to get enough gold for a token then to get 15 bucks for a sub, so yes.

never used a token for a sub,... sold a few for gold though so thanks buyers
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure. How many people do you imagine pay for their subscriptions with tokens every single month? I'll bet it's not as many as you think it is.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Weird question, I mean yeah if I want to play then I'll pony up.
    The value prop of WoW isn't that I can play it on someone else's dime, it's because I'm having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Why continue to play a 16 year old game that is having massive issues, can't keep up with the modern MMO demands, and is basically being developed by not the original staff, but a bunch of Sylvanas stans who want to write bad fanfiction about Sylvanas's "redemption"?

Also, buying WoW tokens contributes to the pay to win problem. Tokens are $20, normal subs are $15 or less. Blizzard has effectively upped their profits even when losing 60%+ of their playerbase.
    If only they'd Wholesome 100 like FFXIV and put 600 items on the cash shop instead.

yeah. classic wow is worth the $15 a month to me.

Well, considering I'm subbed now without paying for it with a token, and every time in the past I've been subbed, I've never used a token, I'm gonna have to go with yeah.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

I am subbed right now. It's comfortably fun and relaxing for me to play. I do a little raiding, I talk with friends, I hunt for achievements, I do minigames. It's a good way for me to unwind after work and then practice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Simple question and curious to see how much the token factors into someone stays subbed or not.

Poll incoming
    Short answer: Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    If only they'd Wholesome 100 like FFXIV and put 600 items on the cash shop instead.
    Oh man. I see you now.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

I currently have enough gold to buy 50 tokens but I don't like that pressure to re-earn it

I haven't paid with my own cash since tokens were first introduced, so.. moreover, ever since tokens became convertible to bnet balance, I haven't spent a penny of my own money on any of the blizzard offerings. its not out of any kind of protest or anything, its just gold is so easy to make for me just by doing stuff I would already be doing, it has become a sort of self imposed not challenge exactly but just a choice I made to see how far I can get without getting a credit card. answer is - pretty far. I've bought multiple other games with wow gold in addition to wow expacs and subscription.

its not currently active, i'm waiting for anniversary or 9.15 - whichever comes first, cause shadowlands has been pretty meh, and I have enough bnet balance to buy next expac and resubscribe for a few months should I want to, so...

and yes I am aware that blizzard is still getting money from my purchases since someone had to buy those tokens that I bought with gold. its literally the same way I play mobile games occasionally. how far can i make it without spending a single dime of my own money. I find that particular goal to be an enjoyable way to play. for me.

P.S. without tokens I am unlikely to have subscribed as much as I have. if at all. I quite the game for a while prior to warlords of draenor.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    You realize that when you can buy gold legally then every item in the game that isn't BoP (and many that are) is effectively "on the cash shop"?
    Last edited by Beastiel; 2021-10-08 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    You realize that when you can buy gold legally then every item in the game that isn't BoP (and many that are) is effectively "on the cash shop"?
    You mean... WoW is P2W? Whoa. I feel like that's been discussed elsewhere on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    except... just because you can, doesn't mean you have to. you can still and many MANY people do make gold in game and use that gold to get every item in a game. its not like carries were never EVER sold prior to wow tokens... oh wait.... one of the reasons I have originally transferred servers and picked a particular server to transfer to, was because they had a thriving gold dkp raiding community, without being overcrowded like something like Area 52 etc. that was mid way through Wrath of the Lich king, in case you are wondering.

and its not like people didn't use to buy gold anyways, oh.. wait.... the major thing wow tokens did was reduce the use of third party gold sellers and as a result bots while still present are not nearly as numerous. why risk your credit card info getting stolen when you can just do the same thing but safer?

people have GOT to stop with this silliness... its not even comparable at all, since last I checked, you have absolutely NO option to earn those cash shop items FF14 has through in game means.