Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    If you press 'G' in D2R you can see the mechanics, animations, and models map onto the original reasonably well. Maybe things aren't perfect but perfection isn't something that can be achieved anyways.

I'm anti-censorship but to be fair they were hanging, nude, and bloody. If they did it to be prudes then I'm against it but if they did it for money/sales reasons then you can't really blame them because they're just doing their job by making it appropriate for younger players.
    I fail to see how that's an issue since it has its rating for a reason. They absolutely did it for political reasons.

Also why would I pay $70 for the game just to play it as I already can with the original, non-bastardized version?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    They absolutely did it for political reasons.
    Oh.
    Also why would I pay $70 for the game just to play it as I already can with the original, non-bastardized version?
    Because D2R is the new shiny thing right now. How can you resist it?

It seems like maybe you're being a little too pedantic or OCD by getting caught up by such minor details, imo.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-10-13 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Runewords were added in Lord of Destruction.

And respecs are granted by Akara after Den of Evil in each difficulty, so it's available since the very first quest, not Hell difficulty.
    Its also worth noting that respecs were added much much later. Most D2 players had long quit before that feature was added. It was added in patch 1.13 which came out NINE YEARS after Lord of Destruction in March 2010. LoD came out in June 2001.

Oh.

Because D2R is the new shiny thing right now. How can you resist it?

It seems like maybe you're being a little too pedantic or OCD by getting caught up by such minor details, imo.
    Ad hominim is not an argument, sir

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Ad hominim is not an argument, sir
    Ok... I didn't think of it as an argument as much as a potential explanation for why he prefers D2 over D2R even though D2R lets you toggle between them at will.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    "Its just an opinion, man!" is kind of a cop out post in a thread titled 'Is X the best Y in the last 10 years?"

I mean, technically, you are right, everyone has their opinion, I just find it funny that the people repeating that are also arguing with others while repeating that.

No one is arguing against your right to have an opinion, but people can still point out the bad things about D2, and debate the topic. I don't see the point in saying anything about opinions in a debate. Another poster was saying the same thing while essentially implying anyone who who had anything bad to say about D2 is either an idiot or didn't play it, thats what this person meant by "fetishizing" the game.
    I generally agree with most of what you said, barring the 'fetishizing' part of it. It could be true that what you're saying is what Gadzooks was referring to, but fetishize is the wrong word to use in that case, since it means obsessing over something rather than badmouthing others opinions. Obsessing over something is one thing, badmouting others opinions on the matter is another; and I don't see that particular word covering the latter. But if that were the intended meaning, then it's a matter of semantics, and I'll take it as a misunderstanding on my part.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok... I didn't think of it as an argument as much as a potential explanation for why he prefers D2 over D2R even though D2R lets you toggle between them at will.
    To be fair, if it lets you toggle and you have a preference over the old graphics, then the QoL features aren't worth the $70 alone.

Hell, I'm a diehard D2 fan who has been playing it for the past 5 years, and I haven't bought D2R because to me, the price isn't worth the graphics and QoL alone. I'm waiting on seeing if they're going to do more than just that before dropping any cash on this. The graphics are really the least of my concerns considering I play with the current graphics just fine, and my 6+ year old machine doesn't take a performance hit for it.

If they ever get down to talking about plans for new content or balance updates, I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I strongly prefer 3 to be honest. Maybe if I had played 2 before I would feel different due to nostalgia but it feels so restrictive to me.
    I think Diablo 3 has better class abilities but diablo 2 has better maps.

No, D3 is the best Diablo game in every single regard.

To be fair, if it lets you toggle and you have a preference over the old graphics, then the QoL features aren't worth the $70 alone.

Hell, I'm a diehard D2 fan who has been playing it for the past 5 years, and I haven't bought D2R because to me, the price isn't worth the graphics and QoL alone. I'm waiting on seeing if they're going to do more than just that before dropping any cash on this. The graphics are really the least of my concerns considering I play with the current graphics just fine, and my 6+ year old machine doesn't take a performance hit for it.
    This.

D2 was never about the graphics. Hell, people were complaining about the graphics being outdated when it released!

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    D2R is shit.

It's a significantly less polished version of D2, just with QoL features that mods like Plugy already do.

You can tell it's not a blizzard product, the animations feel janky, some of the sounds don't fit, the models are garbage. And I'm not even getting into the fact that somehow the world of 2000/2001 was a less censorious time than now. THAT is saying something.

Seeing all the content and hype around D2R made me go back and play D2 again, and it is the FAR superior game. Some things are just best left alone.
    LOL

Thanks god your job is not review video games, you’d be really serve an awful service to the users/readers.

I gave it a try because my friend keep hype it to the heavens before the launch, in my book it's inferior to d3, got my money back of the hours i played can't complain, i will stick with D3 as my ARPG game

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    "Its just an opinion, man!" is kind of a cop out post in a thread titled 'Is X the best Y in the last 10 years?"

I mean, technically, you are right, everyone has their opinion, I just find it funny that the people repeating that are also arguing with others while repeating that.
    Which is only in response to the people claiming the obvious.. "that's your opinion" .. yeah, hell yeah, every discussion is about opinions, whether they are about opinions on fact, fiction, statistics, or otherwise. Even scientists can't agree on one thing based on the same data.

It is all about discussing points from a pov that is severely subjective. I like PoE and Grim Dawn, I absolutely detest D3 for being a mindless simplified console gamer ARPG (which is likely why it's loved so much), even though it has kept me occupied for a few hundred hours. People actually think and believe that doing a single thing ad infinitum in D3 is "end-game" and better end-game than Diablo 2. Get out of here . Yeah, I love D2 and the only reason I quit back then, is because I trusted a friend with my accounts and he stole everything I had. That gave me such a punch in the stomach, I couldn't keep going. But now it's back, holy moly.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2021-10-13 at 07:52 AM.

To be fair, does it really matter if a group of try hards who fetishize the game exists?

Just as you wish to move on, what if you also chose not to, and put the game on a pedestal? Would it be a wrong choice to have? I don't think you'd consider that either, and you seem fairly sensible about having that freedom of choice and expression. You can be a casual fan or a die-hard fan, and either way whoever considers D2(R) the best ARPG ever made is purely up to subjective opinion.
    Again, not the point I'm trying to make here. I don't have a single problem with anyone who chooses to play, or chooses not to play, or why.

I'm talking about forum nasties - and not just here - who fetishize a game so hard that everything else in the genre is "trash" and they get overexcited and aggressive labeling everything else "trash".

If you want to make objective statements about the pros and cons of any game, I have no issue with you. But if you jump into a discussion and start bellowing "IT'S TRASH ONLY MY GAME IS THE TRUE AND HONEST GAME!" - then you're who I'm talking about.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I think Diablo 3 has better class abilities but diablo 2 has better maps.
    Ye well, Act III jungle ruins it for the entire game.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Even the god awful story?

Ah yes, forgot the masterpiece that was the D2 story.

On a more serious note, the in-game Diablo story sucked post the original game.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Again, not the point I'm trying to make here. I don't have a single problem with anyone who chooses to play, or chooses not to play, or why.

I'm talking about forum nasties - and not just here - who fetishize a game so hard that everything else in the genre is "trash" and they get overexcited and aggressive labeling everything else "trash".

If you want to make objective statements about the pros and cons of any game, I have no issue with you. But if you jump into a discussion and start bellowing "IT'S TRASH ONLY MY GAME IS THE TRUE AND HONEST GAME!" - then you're who I'm talking about.
    That doesn't really happen here and your point doesn't even address the topic. Personally I don't understand why a person would even be motivated to enter a Diablo forum just to belittle the fanboys.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-10-13 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post

There was only one person doing that, the OP.

It sounds like you are trying to address a group, but there's no group like that here at all. It was literally just the OP going to that length of argument. That's what I was more confused about.

And I don't think the OP is what you're describing at all either, since it seems obvious to me he was here to bait more than actually discuss. I don't even think it's from some blind faith obsession, just straight up trolling.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-10-13 at 09:31 PM.

plugY+basemod make d2 still superior to d2r, gameplay wise.

personally i am not sold on d2r graphics, they aint bad but they are more akin d3 than d2.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Which is only in response to the people claiming the obvious.. "that's your opinion" .. yeah, hell yeah, every discussion is about opinions, whether they are about opinions on fact, fiction, statistics, or otherwise. Even scientists can't agree on one thing based on the same data.

It is all about discussing points from a pov that is severely subjective. I like PoE and Grim Dawn, I absolutely detest D3 for being a mindless simplified console gamer ARPG (which is likely why it's loved so much), even though it has kept me occupied for a few hundred hours. People actually think and believe that doing a single thing ad infinitum in D3 is "end-game" and better end-game than Diablo 2. Get out of here . Yeah, I love D2 and the only reason I quit back then, is because I trusted a friend with my accounts and he stole everything I had. That gave me such a punch in the stomach, I couldn't keep going. But now it's back, holy moly.
    I'm glad you have at least given all the games you're talking about a fair try ... I just don't get the point in mentioning opinion as a rebuttal at all, lol, like thats what this whole forum is, opinions.

How can I "figure out" what you're talking about if you won't explain anything whatsoever?

Is this about the Blizzard sexual harassment issue? Vicarious Vision is separate from Blizzard, most of the people are different as far I know. You should only judge a game based on its independent merit and not based on associations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalocy Jim
    There will never be a moment in time where i'm not subbed to WoW.
    I pay in 6 month blocks, and I always pay with real money.
    To get as much entertainment out of a game for less than 15 dollars a month as this game offers is a steal. I honestly think they could raise the price of the sub and still do just fine. I know i'd pay for it.
    Let's pretend he's being serious and he's not getting paid somehow. For people like this, wow went down the drain. "Let's release half assed shit, who cares? dimwits will keep subbing cause we are selling literal digital cocaine"

What's there not to like, huh?