Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    3+ Year Old Account
    Well, that can't happen these days. Not unless you want to beat up more of them untill they drop purples.

Also, please give Bwonsamdi his edge back
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

They've defanged pretty much every race.

The Darkspear are unique in terms of being defanged as they started out like it. There was no descent for them the way other races have had. Their entire gimmick is that they're trolls without all the troll parts like cannibalism, the iffier kinds of voodoo, hating humans/elves etc. It's like Blizzard made the god tier troll aesthetic and then tried to coast an entire playable race off of it.

Even in WC3 they were a pale shadow of the Amani who's lines inexplicably mentioned the only cool troll character in Zul'jin, and Zul'jin's spiel in the 2.3 trailer, the same patch that had the OG Horde trolls be slaughtered by meme characters for purples remains the peak of troll content until Vol'jin finally got a personality transplant in Cataclysm.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2021-10-12 at 08:09 AM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    Troll is not a positive thing, at least in our society. People who are called trolls are not done so for being honourable, chivalrous or righteous.

Trolls in fantasy are not generally nice or good.

So what is with all the good troll thing going on in Wow? They don’t feel like trolls or come off as them. Just awkward looking orcs with a different accent.

Bring back the venom, the spite, vindictiveness and cruelty in the characterisation. Voodoo isn’t nice, it’s not goodly magic. Cruelty and revenge should be the way that’s venerated at least in the devolved tribes.

Now I don’t mind say the original troll, the zandalari being what they are, but then shouldn’t they embody this and only some troll individuals being an exception? It should be obvious why they are called trolls and it isn’t a positive thing. Even if they have some. Positive qualities. Sadly this is not the case anymore in wow.

Blizzard really should knuckle this down. Decide if it comes from the top, the Zandalari or being trollish came later from the groups that split away, or even the influence trickster Loa. Otherwise, calling the race Troll is totally misleading.

Why white wash the playable ones so much in wow?" Wanna play a nasty , truly roguish race to reflect that mood or side in you. Could have been troll, but no, all honourable and shamanistic.

Return them to their original classic description and depiction or change their name
    Quick thing though... The Darkspear Tribe has always - and I do mean always - been described as "the nice trolls". At least when compared to other tribes such as Amani or Farakki.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    they banning a milk joke, u want them to bring back original cannibalism trolls who enjoyed sacrificing to their gods inspired by actual real life Aztic ritual sacrifices? at activision rate it will be more realistic they remove Trolls from wow itself than make them savages again
    i hope i didn't give them that idea

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Quick thing though... The Darkspear Tribe has always - and I do mean always - been described as "the nice trolls". At least when compared to other tribes such as Amani or Farakki.
    they still embraced vodoo and cannibalism, that was one of first things Thrall banned trolls if they want to join horde
    Heck there was a joke that was removed ages ago female troll "if cannibalism is wrong, i don't want to be right", or the male troll joke "I kill 2 dwarfs in the morning" etc.. that also show that while 'nice', they are nice in troll term, not actual humans term (the male joke at least was removed due to weed reference, back when weed was still illegal, no idea why remove the female one however)
    Which i still find ironic since actual real life humans did crimes that make every evil action ever done in wow cute and kind, yet we describe behaving nice as 'human'
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    You mean go back to Evil Horde vs Good Alliance?

No, you'll take all your Morally Grey and you'll enjoy it!
    Evil horde vs Good alliance didnt start till arguably wotlk but for sure cataclysm. You know, when the game started taking drops in quality.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Evil horde vs Good alliance didnt start till arguably wotlk but for sure cataclysm. You know, when the game started taking drops in quality.
    Arguably, it's how the franchise started.

I think Good vs Bad is a dead end. All factions in WoW are played by humans, therefore all races must have human qualities. Full bad trolls will never gets the empathy of the player, that's the reason all of them are antagonists.

Funny thing is that Horde players mock the Alliance development for all Alliance races becoming Human sidekicks, while being ignorant that Horde became almost the same. Most Horde races become various flavors of orcish culture, with the exception of blood elves, who are now pointy eared humans on red team, and possibly Forsaken, who were Sylvanas' zealots from day 1 and were not heard of since revelation of her true motives.

Yes, it would be really cool if most races could come back to their roots. I'm afraid we will not see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Arguably, it's how the franchise started.
    Ish, the series didnt start getting extreme popularity till WC3 when they dropped that, WC3 also set the vast majority of setting standards as well. The further they've moved from that, like when they randomly got this hardon for WC1 an 2, the more the series has suffered.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

5+ Year Old Account
    Ally fans be like...

*Horde race doing bad things*

OMG kill them all, they're all monsters, Horde bias WTF Blizz /wrists

*Horde race not doing bad things*

OMG Blizz why don't you make X (Horde ofc) race actually evil, dis sux WTF /groan
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

The problem with this POV imo, is that it would take away from what really should be happening and that's both sides being messy. The clean and proper alliance is more boring than a clean and proper horde ever was, largely because at least the latter had their past offenses incorporated into how they functioned later on.

Seeing Anduin have his mind taken over completely, not even in the sense where Arthas took up Frostmourne of his own free will for power, is so incredibly uninspired and boring I don't know where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Ally fans be like...

*Horde race doing bad things*

OMG kill them all, they're all monsters, Horde bias WTF Blizz /wrists

*Horde race not doing bad things*

OMG Blizz why don't you make X (Horde ofc) race actually evil, dis sux WTF /groan
    To be fair, the Horde doing evil/questionable things was a lot more understandable in the Vanilla -> WotLK Era. Mostly because they truly felt like underdogs just trying to eek out an existence under the Alliance and other forces.

Cata really flipped the script and put the Horde on equal footing with the Alliance as a global power. But this made their aggressiveness less justifiable. And in many scenarios they were just the bad guys.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    Seeing Anduin have his mind taken over completely, not even in the sense where Arthas took up Frostmourne of his own free will for power, is so incredibly uninspired and boring I don't know where to start.
    Well, that happens because writers want to revisit Arthas' story with a character that is much less relatable to the reader than Arthas. From the very beginning, Arthas' character flaws are evident: he's vain, hot-headed and has little time for those who disagree with him. At the same time, he also has a couple of qualities: he's a brave soldier, an inspiring commander and overall a decisive man, which happens to be quite important for someone in his position. These qualities allow him to achieve unexpected (if costly) victories against the Scourge, until he's presented with a very ugly choice at the gates of Stratholme. The ensuing carnage makes him snap, and his flaws overtake him, making him commit one heinous act after another, ending with him seizing Frostmourne out of his own will.

By contrast, Anduin has no flaws worth discussing. Yes, he may be naive to a fault, he may be a peacemaker even when it is pretty clear that peace isn't a choice... But such 'flaws' never affect him in the slightest, and the narrative makes abundantly clear that in the end, he's always right. And not only that, the entirety of the cast is written as good or evil depending on what are their respective stances towards Our Treasure. The most egregious example is perhaps Sylvanas herself: she mocked Anduin at the start of BfA, hence she was EvVuUuL. But now that she has started heeding Andy's antics, she is suddenly Morally Grey™, and well on her way to being effectively redeemed.

In other words, if you want a relatable character, it needs to have some actual flaws, i.e. traits that actively hinder (not necessarily prevent) the character from reaching his/her objectives. But when you have a full fledged Gary Stu such as Andy, any parallels with Arthas are bound to fall flat on their face. For example, Andy is a naive boy, sure - but how in the Eternal Sun's name is that related to the janitor mind controlling him?
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather have the mesoamerican trolls we have

To be a brutish unintelligent being i'd play an orc or ogre
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

It's never coming back, every race has lost any edge they once had. Even the Forsaken are just paler humans after BfA. Seeing how Blizz is sanitizing everything into family friendly stuff it's just gonna get more generic from now on.

Troll culture was ripped off from harmful Afro-Caribbean stereotypes, why would you want it back. Trolls going yaaaa mon is like if the Pandaren pulled their eyelids to the side and said ching ching chong