Thread: Metroid Dread

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    More I play the less I like the bullet spongie boss fights. I entered a boss that is underwater and with no gravity suit. No thanks. Ill pass on this guy for now. The parry shit is also starting to get annoying too. I am just too old for that shit.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2021-10-13 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    More I play the less I like the bullet spongie boss fights. I entered a boss that is underwater and with no gravity suit. No thanks. Ill pass on this guy for now. The parry shit is also starting to get annoying too. I am just too old for that shit.
    Don’t want to spoil anything, but you can skip that boss. But you gotta clip shot/pseudo wave through a wall to do it. Took me a good 5 min to do it the first time. Still shorter than the boss. Which wasn’t bad. Early gravity suit is one of my favorite sequence breaks though. I hate not having it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Finally got my CE and played it a bit.

Not a fan of the EMMI bits at all. If they gave you slightly more time to counter it wouldn't be a big deal but as is its just annoying.
    That's kind of the point. You are not supposed to be caught.

I thought the bosses were the best in the series because they had actual mechanics that hurt a lot that you need to learn and you can't just spam super missiles and win in 20 seconds. The final boss, despite having a bit too much hp in phase 2, was spectacular

Just finished my 100% Hard playthrough and I gotta say, I absolutely adore this game. Samus controls better than any other entry and the sequence breaks you can do are a ton of fun. I’m nowhere near the people putting up ~1:30 any%, but I can see myself playing this until I can beat it in around 2 hours. Some of the puzzles to acquire items/expansions are so difficult that when you get them it’s incredibly satisfying. The speed boosting puzzles that have you pinballing across 3+ rooms are like magic tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Just finished my 100% Hard playthrough and I gotta say, I absolutely adore this game. Samus controls better than any other entry and the sequence breaks you can do are a ton of fun. I’m nowhere near the people putting up ~1:30 any%, but I can see myself playing this until I can beat it in around 2 hours. Some of the puzzles to acquire items/expansions are so difficult that when you get them it’s incredibly satisfying. The speed boosting puzzles that have you pinballing across 3+ rooms are like magic tricks.
    I was on my way to finally 100% a Metroid game and saw one or two of the speed boosting puzzles and said fuck it. I'll take a 90% run.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

I finally completed normal...18 hours. I think my completion times for the Prime games were less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    I finally completed normal...18 hours. I think my completion times for the Prime games were less than that.
    Game time or actual time? The game timer is somewhat misleading as it resets the time whenever you reload back to where it was, and watching your map pauses the timer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    I was on my way to finally 100% a Metroid game and saw one or two of the speed boosting puzzles and said fuck it. I'll take a 90% run.
    They aren’t for the faint of heart, that’s for sure. Kinda like the early super missiles sequence break. You gotta store a shine through a cold room with just enough time to get you to where you can release it onto a slope letting you wall jump 2-4 times to break through the back way to the missiles. I probably died 20 times before I got it the first time. The second time took me fewer deaths, but it was still the roughest sequence break for me. Even early gravity suit(you can get it right after you get ice missiles) wasn’t as rough, and I had to learn how to beat Z-57 without space jump for that one. Luckily you just gotta survive one flappy bird segment before you can shinespark him for a quick kill.

Beat it with a 41% clear after 8 hours, I'll go back for the rest of the stuff now.

The ending sequence is 10/10. Final boss is easily the best in the game and one of the best in recent memory, and that final armor looks cool as hell too.

Are all the ending pictures title cards for old Metroid games? I had one for Zero Mission.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Beat it with a 41% clear after 8 hours, I'll go back for the rest of the stuff now.

The ending sequence is 10/10. Final boss is easily the best in the game and one of the best in recent memory, and that final armor looks cool as hell too.

Are all the ending pictures title cards for old Metroid games? I had one for Zero Mission.
    Mostly. There are 6 for Normal/Hard beat/under 8 hours/under 4 hours and then more for 100% and unlocking them all. So to get the entire gallery it should be beat hard in under 4 and then 100%. I one shot my under 4 hours normal mode in 3:30. Hopefully my Hard attempt goes better with the additional practice of the routing. Tbf, I lost time on stupid sequence breaks for the shits and giggles.

Dread plays like a dream. Probably the smoothest gameplay in the franchise, and that's saying something. Pity about the terrible/forgettable music but other than that, great return to form for Metroid.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Mostly. There are 6 for Normal/Hard beat/under 8 hours/under 4 hours and then more for 100% and unlocking them all. So to get the entire gallery it should be beat hard in under 4 and then 100%. I one shot my under 4 hours normal mode in 3:30. Hopefully my Hard attempt goes better with the additional practice of the routing. Tbf, I lost time on stupid sequence breaks for the shits and giggles.
    I'll likely just 100% my Normal save and then beat it at any% on Hard later on. Speedruns aren't my thing.

And yeah, I gotta share my confusion at the forgettable music. Metroic historically had some pretty banging soundtracks. This really doesn't. I can recall a couple tracks from Super, Fusion and Zero Mission and I last played those years ago. I finished Dread 4 hours ago and can't recall a single piece of music. The visual design of the levels does get better as the game goes on, but sadly not the music.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I'll likely just 100% my Normal save and then beat it at any% on Hard later on. Speedruns aren't my thing.

And yeah, I gotta share my confusion at the forgettable music. Metroic historically had some pretty banging soundtracks. This really doesn't. I can recall a couple tracks from Super, Fusion and Zero Mission and I last played those years ago. I finished Dread 4 hours ago and can't recall a single piece of music. The visual design of the levels does get better as the game goes on, but sadly not the music.
    I honestly didn't find it that difficult to beat in sub-4 hours aside from getting slightly lost due to early grapple/bombs/super missiles. And I'm pretty sure it's slower to break those sequences than to just blast through it. I also play entirely in handheld mode, so there's a slight handicap from the shit controls. Don't be afraid to try, it really doesn't require any special tech to do. Don't gotta be able to do EMMI/Droygya skips even though they do speed things up a bit. I will say it helps if you get decent at mashing. I can actually do more dmg with my blaster than missiles if the enemy will allow it.

Beat Dread and man that final boss was something else.
    Completion time of 9 hours 11 mins with 52% of items found. I'll prolly go back and collect all but the hardest shine spark secrets but I dont feel a great urge to tackle hard mode or do a reclear for a better time.

Its a really good game but i'll stick by my 6/10 score.

I'll crawl back in my Metroid hole now and patiently wait for Prime 4.

First Hard speed run completed in 3:34:59 with 31% of the items. That’s in game time, but I wasn’t really loading saves often as I only saved at Adam segments. So maybe 5 hours total? Got 7 gallery items unlocked and gonna go get the rest by getting 100% now. 9/10 will speedrun on normal for my quite young nephew come December. He loves watching me beat “impossible” games quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Its a really good game but i'll stick by my 6/10 score.
    What do you think the game should have done differently to deserve higher than a 6/10? Other than improving the bland as hell music anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastard View Post
    What do you think the game should have done differently to deserve higher than a 6/10? Other than improving the bland as hell music anyway.
    I mean its a personal score.
    I hated the EMMI sections! They really soured me on the game.
    Also visually every zone felt samey and not distinct.
    6/10 is in no way a bad score.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I thought the bosses were the best in the series because they had actual mechanics that hurt a lot that you need to learn and you can't just spam super missiles and win in 20 seconds. The final boss, despite having a bit too much hp in phase 2, was spectacular
    Yup. I see way too many people upset they can't just be damage sponges and avoid mechanics like the older games. They game does a good job with patterns detection and every attack being avoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    100%

A fun game but it misses the typical Metroid atmosphere and the EMMI is just a horrible idea.
    Its a great idea on paper but bot really in execution. I think they were trying to emulate the same excitement when you came across SA-X in Fusion. But what makes SA-X great is that it was a obstacle throughout the entire game and you get to finish it off there at the end with a challenging battle. The EMMIs are more of a hinderance or annoyance to get past and when the fight comes its the same battle 6 or 7 times. Run away, pew pew gatling, run away, charge that beam into the face, every single time.

But personally i dont care about the emmi as much as the quick time events littered throughout the game. That shit fucking sucks. Miss that one small window and you’re or severally injured.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    How the fuck is this trolling?

Discussing moderation is against the rules. Infracted.