Thread: Metroid Dread

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
... LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Divada View Post
    Dread plays like a dream. Probably the smoothest gameplay in the franchise, and that's saying something. Pity about the terrible/forgettable music but other than that, great return to form for Metroid.
    Most music post SNES era is forgettable. No longer are tracks on a 30 second loop playing over and over again to become earworms. I can't recall a track from any game in the last 20 years TBH but it isn't because the music in those games aren't good. The music in Metroid Dread is good and does the job it's required to do.

  2. #62
    Well, I’ve spent another couple hours collecting items after my hard speed run. It looks like you unlock the gallery rewards by fully collecting the stuff in each area. So once you get 100% in Burenia you get the 100% reward for that area.

    Took me just under 3 hours to track down the other 69% of items remaining. None of the shinespark puzzles took more than a dozen attempts. Anyone intimidated by them should give it a shot. It’s really satisfying when you pull them off.
    Last edited by Vegas82; 2021-10-18 at 03:14 PM.

  3. #63
    Immortal Stormspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Most music post SNES era is forgettable. No longer are tracks on a 30 second loop playing over and over again to become earworms. I can't recall a track from any game in the last 20 years TBH but it isn't because the music in those games aren't good. The music in Metroid Dread is good and does the job it's required to do.
    They can still be more memorable. Some of the music is like the underwater areas in Metroid Prime...good music but no memorable tunes. If you think modern games can't have earworms, because they aren't "30 second loops", sounds like you haven't played Ori and the Blind Forest, or Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

    Noone is saying Dread's music is BAD. It's not bad at all, it's actually quite good. It's just not exceptional. There's nothing wrong with having more ambient music that stays in the background, but it should be mixed up with music that stays more in the front and sticks with you.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2021-10-18 at 11:39 PM.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    They can still be more memorable. Some of the music is like the underwater areas in Metroid Prime...good music but no memorable tunes. If you think modern games can't have earworms, because they aren't "30 second loops", sounds like you haven't played Ori and the Blind Forest, or Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

    Noone is saying Dread's music is BAD. It's not bad at all, it's actually quite good. It's just not exceptional. There's nothing wrong with having more ambient music that stays in the background, but it should be mixed up with music that stays more in the front and sticks with you.
    I will go to the grave believing the music in Phendrana Drifts was a masterpiece.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    They can still be more memorable. Some of the music is like the underwater areas in Metroid Prime...good music but no memorable tunes. If you think modern games can't have earworms, because they aren't "30 second loops", sounds like you haven't played Ori and the Blind Forest, or Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

    Noone is saying Dread's music is BAD. It's not bad at all, it's actually quite good. It's just not exceptional. There's nothing wrong with having more ambient music that stays in the background, but it should be mixed up with music that stays more in the front and sticks with you.
    Are you kidding? Maybe not here or you, but I've seen it ripped in other places. But as for memorable, my comment stands. There hasn't been one non RPG(battle themes), or fighting game(stage theme) that I can remember since the SNES days and that's basically due to the lack of repetition and length of time playing any of those games.

    I've easily replayed the entire MP trilogy 5-6 times and I don't remember any of it. Sure if it was played, I'd be likely to know where it came from. But the sheer repetition of of short loops from the 8 bit and 16 bit days is way so many of those games have "memorable" music.

    I guess you can ad some WoW music due to the over 10,000 hours I have put into the game since launch, but seriously, I can hardly recall a modern gaming tune outside of what I have listed.

    I also disagree with needing to have music in the foreground. Replaying the 2D Metroid games in anticipation of Dread and some just stick out and feel overly triumphant or fanfaric for the desolate/isolated feel the game is trying to portray IMO. But they are totally memorable.

  6. #66
    Immortal Stormspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    I also disagree with needing to have music in the foreground. Replaying the 2D Metroid games in anticipation of Dread and some just stick out and feel overly triumphant or fanfaric for the desolate/isolated feel the game is trying to portray IMO. But they are totally memorable.
    I didn't say ALL music should stick out and feel triumphant. Ambient music that is more in the background has its place too. But Dread's soundtrack would've benefitted from a couple songs like that. I think the EMMI zones post-defeat should've been a lot better, they were pretty generic.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Most music post SNES era is forgettable. No longer are tracks on a 30 second loop playing over and over again to become earworms. I can't recall a track from any game in the last 20 years TBH but it isn't because the music in those games aren't good.
    I have to hard disagree on post SNES era music being forgettable. You got stuff like Playstation era Final Fantasy games, all the Rare games on N64, Mario Galaxy, Mario Odyssey, Undertale/Deltarune, Hollow Knight, Cuphead, Ori, Katamari, 3d Zelda games, etc etc. I could probably sit here for an hour listing them all. I freakin' LOVE some NES/SNES style music but the more recent stuff is pretty damn memorable too and I find a lot of each era getting stuck in my head keeping me awake at 4am.

    There are definite exceptions. I played the hell out of Hades but as I'm sitting here I can't remember a single track from the game except the ending song "It's in the blood."

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Are you kidding? Maybe not here or you, but I've seen it ripped in other places. But as for memorable, my comment stands. There hasn't been one non RPG(battle themes), or fighting game(stage theme) that I can remember since the SNES days and that's basically due to the lack of repetition and length of time playing any of those games.

    I've easily replayed the entire MP trilogy 5-6 times and I don't remember any of it. Sure if it was played, I'd be likely to know where it came from. But the sheer repetition of of short loops from the 8 bit and 16 bit days is way so many of those games have "memorable" music.

    I guess you can ad some WoW music due to the over 10,000 hours I have put into the game since launch, but seriously, I can hardly recall a modern gaming tune outside of what I have listed.

    I also disagree with needing to have music in the foreground. Replaying the 2D Metroid games in anticipation of Dread and some just stick out and feel overly triumphant or fanfaric for the desolate/isolated feel the game is trying to portray IMO. But they are totally memorable.
    That's just you. Mass Effect, Doom 2016 and Eternal, WH40K Mechanicus, Dark Souls III, Darkest Dungeon, Deux Ex Human Revolution, Metal Gear Rising, Wolfenstein New Order, just off the top of my head I can name plenty of modern games with phenomenal soundtracks that can stick in my head at any given moment, some of which I have in my USB stick and listen to in my car or on Youtube.

    Dread's soundtrack isn't mediocre due to being ambient at all. WoW's got basically only ambient tracks and they kill it with every expansion or close enough and I could hum a couple themes from any of them, to use only one example. Dread's is just totally forgettable to me.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

    The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    I didn't say ALL music should stick out and feel triumphant. Ambient music that is more in the background has its place too. But Dread's soundtrack would've benefitted from a couple songs like that. I think the EMMI zones post-defeat should've been a lot better, they were pretty generic.
    I never said they should I was talking about some of the Metroid music in previous 2D titles

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nastard View Post
    I have to hard disagree on post SNES era music being forgettable. You got stuff like Playstation era Final Fantasy games, all the Rare games on N64, Mario Galaxy, Mario Odyssey, Undertale/Deltarune, Hollow Knight, Cuphead, Ori, Katamari, 3d Zelda games, etc etc. I could probably sit here for an hour listing them all. I freakin' LOVE some NES/SNES style music but the more recent stuff is pretty damn memorable too and I find a lot of each era getting stuck in my head keeping me awake at 4am.

    There are definite exceptions. I played the hell out of Hades but as I'm sitting here I can't remember a single track from the game except the ending song "It's in the blood."
    Post SNES. SNES era is still part of the shorter loops played 100s of times over in a play session.

  10. #70
    I'd like to play Metroid Dread but preferably want to start with an older Metroid game to get the juices flowing, what do you guys suggest?

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Yutilk View Post
    I'd like to play Metroid Dread but preferably want to start with an older Metroid game to get the juices flowing, what do you guys suggest?
    I got my juices flowing by doing a few different runs of Super Metroid. Just a straight run, a “speedrun”(my 1.5 hours hardly qualifies), and then a game breaking golden torizo run. Lots of fun before entering Dread.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Dread's soundtrack isn't mediocre due to being ambient at all. WoW's got basically only ambient tracks and they kill it with every expansion or close enough and I could hum a couple themes from any of them, to use only one example. Dread's is just totally forgettable to me.
    I felt that some of the music also felt out of place in certain areas. I just recall having that feeling in some areas, but as to which they were... heh, I honestly don't recall much of the zone ambient music track from the game off the top of my head, aside from when EMMI's get aggro'd. Compared to Super Metroid or the Prime trilogy, I don't recall much of the music in Dread. I'll try to pay more attention on my Hard playthroughs, but there was nothing that grabbed me like Norfair music from Super Metroid when you first enter that zone (or any zone in that game, they were all great). Heck, I even had the Norfair music play in my head when I was doing some bomb jumping in Dread, as I always used that for timing back in the day.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

  13. #73
    Weeb Queen Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland (send help)
    Posts
    15,496
    I feel like I'm gonna break my controller with some of these shinespark puzzles. I wish the speed boost was on an actual button

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    Its a great idea on paper but bot really in execution. I think they were trying to emulate the same excitement when you came across SA-X in Fusion. But what makes SA-X great is that it was a obstacle throughout the entire game and you get to finish it off there at the end with a challenging battle. The EMMIs are more of a hinderance or annoyance to get past and when the fight comes its the same battle 6 or 7 times. Run away, pew pew gatling, run away, charge that beam into the face, every single time.

    But personally i dont care about the emmi as much as the quick time events littered throughout the game. That shit fucking sucks. Miss that one small window and you’re or severally injured.
    What are these quick-time events you're referring to? I finished the game and the only really annoying thing was the EMMI.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I feel like I'm gonna break my controller with some of these shinespark puzzles. I wish the speed boost was on an actual button
    Haha, I know what you mean. I did my 100% today and one or two of those items are pretty painful to get. But in the end, it wasn't too bad.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I got my juices flowing by doing a few different runs of Super Metroid. Just a straight run, a “speedrun”(my 1.5 hours hardly qualifies), and then a game breaking golden torizo run. Lots of fun before entering Dread.
    Man I wish they would make a Super Metroid remake. What a game, what a game.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I feel like I'm gonna break my controller with some of these shinespark puzzles. I wish the speed boost was on an actual button
    Ouch. I only had an issue with sequence breaks in that area. A couple have very tight run ups. Most of the shinespark puzzles have enough room from what I remember. Save one for Missile+ that requires multiple recharges. I learned that as a sequence break though, so I didn’t mind the 20+ attempts.

  16. #76
    Weeb Queen Video Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland (send help)
    Posts
    15,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Ouch. I only had an issue with sequence breaks in that area. A couple have very tight run ups. Most of the shinespark puzzles have enough room from what I remember. Save one for Missile+ that requires multiple recharges. I learned that as a sequence break though, so I didn’t mind the 20+ attempts.
    I don't mind it being slightly difficult, but with drift and having to hold a direction, click and quickly holding down, i'm getting kind of worried. I probably would have been fine with speed boost on the right stick
    Last edited by Video Games; 2021-10-19 at 06:38 PM.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    What are these quick-time events you're referring to? I finished the game and the only really annoying thing was the EMMI.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Haha, I know what you mean. I did my 100% today and one or two of those items are pretty painful to get. But in the end, it wasn't too bad.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Man I wish they would make a Super Metroid remake. What a game, what a game.
    Where you have to hit “Y” to parry on every boss fight and almost every monster has a parry encounter too. This is known as a quick time event.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    How the fuck is this trolling?

    Discussing moderation is against the rules. Infracted.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I don't mind it being slightly difficult, but with drift and having to hold a direction, click and quickly holding down, i'm getting kind of worried. I probably would have been fine with speed boost on the right stick
    A small piece of cardboard will fix your drift. I’ve played entirely in handheld mode and my biggest issue is fat fingering abxy buttons.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    Where you have to hit “Y” to parry on every boss fight and almost every monster has a parry encounter too. This is known as a quick time event.
    You don’t have to initiate the quicktime events for the most part. They just speed shit up with more dmg in a short period.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    Where you have to hit “Y” to parry on every boss fight and almost every monster has a parry encounter too. This is known as a quick time event.
    By that definition, Sekiro had no combat, just a series of quick time events.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    By that definition, Sekiro had no combat, just a series of quick time events.
    Havent played that game. Anyways, the boss fights portion is 100% quick time events but the standard enemy’s are avoidable. What are quick time events? Its a event that requires a quick press of a button at a precise time.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    How the fuck is this trolling?

    Discussing moderation is against the rules. Infracted.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •