Thread: Metroid Dread

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    The only bullshit EMMI is the purple one, the first encounter with it is a stupid game of trial and error and you can barely move underwater and it detects you immediately when uncloaked. Previous EMMIs taught you that if you were dexterous, you didn't need the cloak and/or could bait the enemy away and make a run for it. That time it's almost pure trial and error until you figure it out, that's not good gameplay.

But I do think that they don't add much to the game. Two of three of them would have been enough, not six.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    I barely used phantom cloak; it's one of those useless abilities, like shooting after you get the screw attack

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think people complain because those sections are hard. They complain because they suck. Who wants to rush through content in a fucking Metroid game? Metroid is about exploring, about breathing in the atmosphere. Not about dying 8 times until you figure out where you should stand to shoot a bloody eye properly.

Anyway, from what I gather, most people really disliked the EMMI.
    Yeah, the EMMI sections are about rushing or hiding if you're using the cloak, hence the Dread portion. You're being hunted. You can quite easily find the right spot to shoot the EMMI as you run.

Again, the EMMI complaints are just bizarre if you play the game normally.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Yeah, the EMMI sections are about rushing or hiding if you're using the cloak, hence the Dread portion. You're being hunted. You can quite easily find the right spot to shoot the EMMI as you run.

I agree...they are supposed to be scary and tense. Dealing with them is a VERY small portion of the game overall.

They're not bizarre and what does "play the game normally" even mean?

Even as a huge Metroid fan I can't justify recycled, identical, bland (literally grey) content in a franchise that's known for its vibrant colors and interesting, varied fauna. The EMMI sections aren't hard, they aren't even remotely challenging; run through exit at the other side, done. They're just boring and extremely repetitive.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

They're not bizarre and what does "play the game normally" even mean?

Even as a huge Metroid fan I can't justify recycled, identical, bland (literally grey) content in a franchise that's known for its vibrant colors and interesting, varied fauna. The EMMI sections aren't hard, they aren't even remotely challenging; run through exit at the other side, done. They're just boring and extremely repetitive.
    When you're running from them, you can identify the spots where you can fight them by playing normally. You act like you have to spend half your day dying over and over to find the perfect spot and that if you aren't god tier, it's "tough."

They must be hard for you considering you're complaining about them.

When you're running from them, you can identify the spots where you can fight them by playing normally. You act like you have to spend half your day dying over and over to find the perfect spot and that if you aren't god tier, it's "tough."

They must be hard for you considering you're complaining about them.
    Maybe you misread, or you're just being stupid; take your pick.

I stated a few times that people generally don't complain about difficulty. In case you missed it:

The EMMI sections aren't hard, they aren't even remotely challenging; run through exit at the other side, done. They're just boring and extremely repetitive.

Dread is not a difficult game. Metroid in general, is not a difficult franchise; it's not meant to be. It's meant to be an adventure, a journey.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2021-10-22 at 09:45 AM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Maybe you misread, or you're just being stupid; take your pick.

I stated a few times that people generally don't complain about difficulty. In case you missed it:

The EMMI sections aren't hard, they aren't even remotely challenging; run through exit at the other side, done. They're just boring and extremely repetitive.

Dread is not a difficult game. Metroid in general, is not a difficult franchise; it's not meant to be. It's meant to be an adventure, a journey.
    As I sid before, I don't think people generally dislike EMMI because of the difficulty. I think they dislike it because every single fucking zone is basically the same. You run through, fail a few times, run through again, kill the eye, fail afterwards until you find the correct spot to stand to knock off the eye and kill it. This times 6. Yeah, not my idea of fun content, but I'm not big on repetitive shit so maybe that's just me being spoiled.
    And yet you did.

Finding a spot is hard, guys! An easy game is hard, oh woe is me. Like the whole thread is you, man.

I've had that happen more than once; you enter an emmi zone and the emmi sees you right away and you can't get out. It's one of those "put down the controller" moments.
    Yeah, I had that happen a few times, as well. From what I can tell, the EMMIs are still moving even once you leave an EMMI zone, so if it was near the exit when you left the zone it will stick around that area for a while. If I stand there are wait, it usually moves on. However, there are some spots that are definitely scripted to spawn the EMMI at a certain spot when you enter.

I can see how the EMMI feature is hit-or-miss. I do like when they add the impending doom feeling, similar to the explosion timers and rising lava we've seen all over the franchise. If anything, my favorite implementation of such imposition of foreboding is in Metroid Prime, when there are invisible enemies or the lights go out, and you hear the Space Pirates music start ramping up... love that execution, still gets my adrenaline pumping as I switch visors to try to find the Space Pirates trying to kill me.

Mechanically, I think there's too much of a reliance on the melee attack and counters. Some of the timings are really tight, and that may be that my Pro Pad controller had slightly more latency or I'm getting old... could be both. I could appreciate that the EMMIs and some boss mechanics had variable melee counter timings, but I could've done without the QTE aspects. Also, some enemies could've had a less strict counter window if you're going to make those enemies large bullet sponges. I didn't test it, but are there some bosses that cannot be killed unless you do the QTE? Some seemed to keep going for longer if I missed the QTE, and I purposefully failed one QTE five times in a row before I died, and I swore the boss should've died by then. If that's the case, I'm not necessarily a big fan of that.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

And yet you did.

Finding a spot is hard, guys! An easy game is hard, oh woe is me. Like the whole thread is you, man.
    So you picked stupid, can't say I'm surprised.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Yeah, I had that happen a few times, as well. From what I can tell, the EMMIs are still moving even once you leave an EMMI zone, so if it was near the exit when you left the zone it will stick around that area for a while. If I stand there are wait, it usually moves on. However, there are some spots that are definitely scripted to spawn the EMMI at a certain spot when you enter.

I can see how the EMMI feature is hit-or-miss. I do like when they add the impending doom feeling, similar to the explosion timers and rising lava we've seen all over the franchise. If anything, my favorite implementation of such imposition of foreboding is in Metroid Prime, when there are invisible enemies or the lights go out, and you hear the Space Pirates music start ramping up... love that execution, still gets my adrenaline pumping as I switch visors to try to find the Space Pirates trying to kill me.

Mechanically, I think there's too much of a reliance on the melee attack and counters. Some of the timings are really tight, and that may be that my Pro Pad controller had slightly more latency or I'm getting old... could be both. I could appreciate that the EMMIs and some boss mechanics had variable melee counter timings, but I could've done without the QTE aspects. Also, some enemies could've had a less strict counter window if you're going to make those enemies large bullet sponges. I didn't test it, but are there some bosses that cannot be killed unless you do the QTE? Some seemed to keep going for longer if I missed the QTE, and I purposefully failed one QTE five times in a row before I died, and I swore the boss should've died by then. If that's the case, I'm not necessarily a big fan of that.
    Well, that or the diagonal aiming could just have been done better; also a very frequently seen complaint. That said, I think that was done on purpose.

The bosses were a major let down if you ask me. Sure, Kraid was awesome - he always is, the squid thing and a few other big bois were cool, but all the Chozo bird encounters were just lame. Lame mechanics, lame graphically, etc. Even the secrets were faaaar too easy to find I had 100% within the hour after reaching the end and most zones were below 50% at that point. For a Metroid game, Dread really wasn't great and while EMMI is largely responsible for this, it isn't the only problem.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2021-10-22 at 11:42 AM.

Well, that or the diagonal aiming could just have been done better; also a very frequently seen complaint. That said, I think that was done on purpose
    Yeah, the free aim was a bit wonky for me. In non-pressure scenarios, it's fine... but the high-pressure scenarios with high movement, it's kind of a pain at times.

Along the same lines, I hated that the Speed Boost was pressing down the L-stick. I'm sorry, but I never like pressing down on the same stick that's controlling movement or the camera (and likely being used at the same time). Honestly, that was the hardest part of all the speed boost puzzles for me that were on the higher end of execution difficulty: getting the speed boost to work right. Maybe the default joy-cons are easier to press down on the L-stick compared to the Pro controller, but mine are still getting repaired, but conceptually I still don't like it. I actually found myself not actively using the Speed Boost when I could because it was so annoying to me. My solution/fix would've actually been to treat Speed Boost activation like Other M: after moving in a direction a certain distance you auto-Speed Boost once you get the upgrade, freeing up keybinds. I can't think of anywhere in the game where this would be a detriment, nor where it would break the game. Love it or hate it, it was amazing what Other M could do with how few buttons they actually had to work with.

Overall, I still enjoy Dread, I just feel like there's aspects that were done better in other installments.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Yeah, the free aim was a bit wonky for me. In non-pressure scenarios, it's fine... but the high-pressure scenarios with high movement, it's kind of a pain at times.

Along the same lines, I hated that the Speed Boost was pressing down the L-stick. I'm sorry, but I never like pressing down on the same stick that's controlling movement or the camera (and likely being used at the same time). Honestly, that was the hardest part of all the speed boost puzzles for me that were on the higher end of execution difficulty: getting the speed boost to work right. Maybe the default joy-cons are easier to press down on the L-stick compared to the Pro controller, but mine are still getting repaired, but conceptually I still don't like it. I actually found myself not actively using the Speed Boost when I could because it was so annoying to me. My solution/fix would've actually been to treat Speed Boost activation like Other M: after moving in a direction a certain distance you auto-Speed Boost once you get the upgrade, freeing up keybinds. I can't think of anywhere in the game where this would be a detriment, nor where it would break the game. Love it or hate it, it was amazing what Other M could do with how few buttons they actually had to work with.

Overall, I still enjoy Dread, I just feel like there's aspects that were done better in other installments.
    Yeah, pressing down on the analogue stick is never a good idea. I can't think of single game where that always worked correctly.

I don't really get why peopl even use the pro controller. I LOVE the joycons because I can literally play while having my hands in completely different places.

Yeah, pressing down on the analogue stick is never a good idea. I can't think of single game where that always worked correctly.

I don't really get why peopl even use the pro controller. I LOVE the joycons because I can literally play while having my hands in completely different places.
    Its cause Joy Cons get drift issues. I have 3 sets of joy cons and they all have some form of drift.

I use the pro controller exclusively now.

I have monster hands so I get nasty hand cramps if I use the detached joycons for any period of time. Though I bought a Switch grip peripheral for handheld mode and that thing is awesome.

I really liked the game but my one major issue is that there were too many button combinations to keep track of. More than once in the heat of the moment, I'd forget about an ability I had like the slide.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I finally got around to finishing the game last night. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the game. Frankly, the game could have done away with the Phantom Cloak and Grapple Beam because they feel really inconsequential in the overall scope of the game. The Shinespark mechanics are a bit of a pain in the ass to work with and getting some of the items that require using it is very annoying. I finished with 88% completion on my first play through at 14 hours.

The boss fights were pretty fun, the graphics are great and I really enjoyed the story. I feel like they should really continue on with the side scrolling Metroid games because they are still popular and fun. Having games spread out so far apart over several years or more really drives up the interest for the games though. I didn't find it super challenging, it took a few attempts to figure out some of the bosses but it certainly isn't as difficult as some people were making it out to be. I think it is a bit harder than Metroid Fusion though, if I'm being honest.

I didn't like this game. Purely my opinion. Not hooked on the graphics and storyline. Maybe not my thing.