Why or how is Day 1 on-disk DLC not a criminal offense?

it's always been a hot topic, but the fact it's so blatant with the Shin Megami Tensei 5 controversy right now has made me reconsider how no one can take action for this.

Like with the Street Fighter x Tekken ordeal, how do they get away with it?
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

what part do you have a problem with? the day1 part, or the part that it's on the disk?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    it's always been a hot topic, but the fact it's so blatant with the Shin Megami Tensei 5 controversy right now has made me reconsider how no one can take action for this.

Like with the Street Fighter x Tekken ordeal, how do they get away with it?
    well, first off it's not a criminal offense because it quite simply isn't. DLC is optional content. You don't need to purchase it to play the game. I also couldn't find anything about the Shin Megami game you're talking about despite literally googling "Shin Megami Tensei 5 controversy" but after looking up SF x Tekken unless they promised that every character on the disc would be included in the base game then having some locked behind DLC is definitely not illegal.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Because it has been considered that you own the physical disc, not the content on the disc.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    what part do you have a problem with? the day1 part, or the part that it's on the disk?
    both, but mainly second. If you strip out a boss fight or scripted event that's already in the game and not made after and sell it for like $20, isn't that extremely shady just by context
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

If they told you it's in the game and not dlc before you bought it and changed it later then maybe it would be a crime. How would you even know when downloadable content was made? Probably a lot of games have the first DLC:s done before release whether they are on the disc or not. Why even buy disc games anymore though?

So I don't have a problem with this. To me, WHEN they created the DLC is arbitrary. Much more important is them delivering a fully featured game. Once that has been confirmed, then I'm all for them releasing DLC, because they have already delivered. It's just not a problem for me.

Now, gambling via lootboxes, that's another issue entirely.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    The way it used to work was this:

1.) Game reaches the 'gold standard' where it can finally be prepped and loaded onto disks and shipped out to box stores and sold.
    2.) Devs are sitting around with nothing to do, so instead of doing nothing, they make extra stuff.
    3.) Extra stuff can't be put into the game, because the process of putting the game onto all those disks and shipping it to stores takes time.
    4.) Someone decides to add all that extra stuff into a patch for Day 1, since there's content ready but it can't go on the disks.
    5.) Another person decides that customers should have to pay for the extra stuff.

And that's how DLC was born. Nowadays, they plan on making it rather than winding up making it. Hell, it used to be a lot of these were free updates...

Atlus games have had day 1 dlc for awhile now. How is this a "controversy"?

If you don't want to buy SMTV day 1 dlc... don't buy it. You miss out on a handful of demons, a handful of dialogue and some shitty grinding boosts. It's just as irrelevant as the day 1 dlc was in Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royal. There is plenty of game there without buying the dlc, and the dlc adds miniscule amount of content to the game. Stop complaining about shit that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

If you want to have a discussion about a topic that's fine, but do not make intentionally baity threads and bring in unrelated topics like criminal law to start things off.