Thread: Metroid Dread

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Beat it with a 41% clear after 8 hours, I'll go back for the rest of the stuff now.

The ending sequence is 10/10. Final boss is easily the best in the game and one of the best in recent memory, and that final armor looks cool as hell too.

Are all the ending pictures title cards for old Metroid games? I had one for Zero Mission.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Dread plays like a dream. Probably the smoothest gameplay in the franchise, and that's saying something. Pity about the terrible/forgettable music but other than that, great return to form for Metroid.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Mostly. There are 6 for Normal/Hard beat/under 8 hours/under 4 hours and then more for 100% and unlocking them all. So to get the entire gallery it should be beat hard in under 4 and then 100%. I one shot my under 4 hours normal mode in 3:30. Hopefully my Hard attempt goes better with the additional practice of the routing. Tbf, I lost time on stupid sequence breaks for the shits and giggles.
    I'll likely just 100% my Normal save and then beat it at any% on Hard later on. Speedruns aren't my thing.

And yeah, I gotta share my confusion at the forgettable music. Metroic historically had some pretty banging soundtracks. This really doesn't. I can recall a couple tracks from Super, Fusion and Zero Mission and I last played those years ago. I finished Dread 4 hours ago and can't recall a single piece of music. The visual design of the levels does get better as the game goes on, but sadly not the music.

Beat Dread and man that final boss was something else.
    Completion time of 9 hours 11 mins with 52% of items found. I'll prolly go back and collect all but the hardest shine spark secrets but I dont feel a great urge to tackle hard mode or do a reclear for a better time.

Its a really good game but i'll stick by my 6/10 score.

I'll crawl back in my Metroid hole now and patiently wait for Prime 4.

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Its a really good game but i'll stick by my 6/10 score.
    What do you think the game should have done differently to deserve higher than a 6/10? Other than improving the bland as hell music anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastard View Post
    What do you think the game should have done differently to deserve higher than a 6/10? Other than improving the bland as hell music anyway.
    I mean its a personal score.
    I hated the EMMI sections! They really soured me on the game.
    Also visually every zone felt samey and not distinct.
    6/10 is in no way a bad score.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I thought the bosses were the best in the series because they had actual mechanics that hurt a lot that you need to learn and you can't just spam super missiles and win in 20 seconds. The final boss, despite having a bit too much hp in phase 2, was spectacular
    Yup. I see way too many people upset they can't just be damage sponges and avoid mechanics like the older games. They game does a good job with patterns detection and every attack being avoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    100%

A fun game but it misses the typical Metroid atmosphere and the EMMI is just a horrible idea.
    Its a great idea on paper but bot really in execution. I think they were trying to emulate the same excitement when you came across SA-X in Fusion. But what makes SA-X great is that it was a obstacle throughout the entire game and you get to finish it off there at the end with a challenging battle. The EMMIs are more of a hinderance or annoyance to get past and when the fight comes its the same battle 6 or 7 times. Run away, pew pew gatling, run away, charge that beam into the face, every single time.

But personally i dont care about the emmi as much as the quick time events littered throughout the game. That shit fucking sucks. Miss that one small window and you’re or severally injured.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by Divada View Post
    Dread plays like a dream. Probably the smoothest gameplay in the franchise, and that's saying something. Pity about the terrible/forgettable music but other than that, great return to form for Metroid.
    Most music post SNES era is forgettable. No longer are tracks on a 30 second loop playing over and over again to become earworms. I can't recall a track from any game in the last 20 years TBH but it isn't because the music in those games aren't good. The music in Metroid Dread is good and does the job it's required to do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Most music post SNES era is forgettable. No longer are tracks on a 30 second loop playing over and over again to become earworms. I can't recall a track from any game in the last 20 years TBH but it isn't because the music in those games aren't good. The music in Metroid Dread is good and does the job it's required to do.
    They can still be more memorable. Some of the music is like the underwater areas in Metroid Prime...good music but no memorable tunes. If you think modern games can't have earworms, because they aren't "30 second loops", sounds like you haven't played Ori and the Blind Forest, or Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

Noone is saying Dread's music is BAD. It's not bad at all, it's actually quite good. It's just not exceptional. There's nothing wrong with having more ambient music that stays in the background, but it should be mixed up with music that stays more in the front and sticks with you.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2021-10-18 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    They can still be more memorable. Some of the music is like the underwater areas in Metroid Prime...good music but no memorable tunes. If you think modern games can't have earworms, because they aren't "30 second loops", sounds like you haven't played Ori and the Blind Forest, or Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

Noone is saying Dread's music is BAD. It's not bad at all, it's actually quite good. It's just not exceptional. There's nothing wrong with having more ambient music that stays in the background, but it should be mixed up with music that stays more in the front and sticks with you.
    I will go to the grave believing the music in Phendrana Drifts was a masterpiece.

Are you kidding? Maybe not here or you, but I've seen it ripped in other places. But as for memorable, my comment stands. There hasn't been one non RPG(battle themes), or fighting game(stage theme) that I can remember since the SNES days and that's basically due to the lack of repetition and length of time playing any of those games.

I've easily replayed the entire MP trilogy 5-6 times and I don't remember any of it. Sure if it was played, I'd be likely to know where it came from. But the sheer repetition of of short loops from the 8 bit and 16 bit days is way so many of those games have "memorable" music.

I guess you can ad some WoW music due to the over 10,000 hours I have put into the game since launch, but seriously, I can hardly recall a modern gaming tune outside of what I have listed.

I also disagree with needing to have music in the foreground. Replaying the 2D Metroid games in anticipation of Dread and some just stick out and feel overly triumphant or fanfaric for the desolate/isolated feel the game is trying to portray IMO. But they are totally memorable.

7+ Year Old Account
    I also disagree with needing to have music in the foreground. Replaying the 2D Metroid games in anticipation of Dread and some just stick out and feel overly triumphant or fanfaric for the desolate/isolated feel the game is trying to portray IMO. But they are totally memorable.
    I didn't say ALL music should stick out and feel triumphant. Ambient music that is more in the background has its place too. But Dread's soundtrack would've benefitted from a couple songs like that. I think the EMMI zones post-defeat should've been a lot better, they were pretty generic.

Most music post SNES era is forgettable. No longer are tracks on a 30 second loop playing over and over again to become earworms. I can't recall a track from any game in the last 20 years TBH but it isn't because the music in those games aren't good.
    I have to hard disagree on post SNES era music being forgettable. You got stuff like Playstation era Final Fantasy games, all the Rare games on N64, Mario Galaxy, Mario Odyssey, Undertale/Deltarune, Hollow Knight, Cuphead, Ori, Katamari, 3d Zelda games, etc etc. I could probably sit here for an hour listing them all. I freakin' LOVE some NES/SNES style music but the more recent stuff is pretty damn memorable too and I find a lot of each era getting stuck in my head keeping me awake at 4am.

There are definite exceptions. I played the hell out of Hades but as I'm sitting here I can't remember a single track from the game except the ending song "It's in the blood."

Are you kidding? Maybe not here or you, but I've seen it ripped in other places. But as for memorable, my comment stands. There hasn't been one non RPG(battle themes), or fighting game(stage theme) that I can remember since the SNES days and that's basically due to the lack of repetition and length of time playing any of those games.

I've easily replayed the entire MP trilogy 5-6 times and I don't remember any of it. Sure if it was played, I'd be likely to know where it came from. But the sheer repetition of of short loops from the 8 bit and 16 bit days is way so many of those games have "memorable" music.

I guess you can ad some WoW music due to the over 10,000 hours I have put into the game since launch, but seriously, I can hardly recall a modern gaming tune outside of what I have listed.

That's just you. Mass Effect, Doom 2016 and Eternal, WH40K Mechanicus, Dark Souls III, Darkest Dungeon, Deux Ex Human Revolution, Metal Gear Rising, Wolfenstein New Order, just off the top of my head I can name plenty of modern games with phenomenal soundtracks that can stick in my head at any given moment, some of which I have in my USB stick and listen to in my car or on Youtube.

Dread's soundtrack isn't mediocre due to being ambient at all. WoW's got basically only ambient tracks and they kill it with every expansion or close enough and I could hum a couple themes from any of them, to use only one example. Dread's is just totally forgettable to me.

I didn't say ALL music should stick out and feel triumphant. Ambient music that is more in the background has its place too. But Dread's soundtrack would've benefitted from a couple songs like that. I think the EMMI zones post-defeat should've been a lot better, they were pretty generic.
    I never said they should I was talking about some of the Metroid music in previous 2D titles

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nastard View Post
    I have to hard disagree on post SNES era music being forgettable. You got stuff like Playstation era Final Fantasy games, all the Rare games on N64, Mario Galaxy, Mario Odyssey, Undertale/Deltarune, Hollow Knight, Cuphead, Ori, Katamari, 3d Zelda games, etc etc. I could probably sit here for an hour listing them all. I freakin' LOVE some NES/SNES style music but the more recent stuff is pretty damn memorable too and I find a lot of each era getting stuck in my head keeping me awake at 4am.

There are definite exceptions. I played the hell out of Hades but as I'm sitting here I can't remember a single track from the game except the ending song "It's in the blood."
    Post SNES. SNES era is still part of the shorter loops played 100s of times over in a play session.

I'd like to play Metroid Dread but preferably want to start with an older Metroid game to get the juices flowing, what do you guys suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Dread's soundtrack isn't mediocre due to being ambient at all. WoW's got basically only ambient tracks and they kill it with every expansion or close enough and I could hum a couple themes from any of them, to use only one example. Dread's is just totally forgettable to me.
    I felt that some of the music also felt out of place in certain areas. I just recall having that feeling in some areas, but as to which they were... heh, I honestly don't recall much of the zone ambient music track from the game off the top of my head, aside from when EMMI's get aggro'd. Compared to Super Metroid or the Prime trilogy, I don't recall much of the music in Dread. I'll try to pay more attention on my Hard playthroughs, but there was nothing that grabbed me like Norfair music from Super Metroid when you first enter that zone (or any zone in that game, they were all great). Heck, I even had the Norfair music play in my head when I was doing some bomb jumping in Dread, as I always used that for timing back in the day.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

15+ Year Old Account
    I feel like I'm gonna break my controller with some of these shinespark puzzles. I wish the speed boost was on an actual button

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    Its a great idea on paper but bot really in execution. I think they were trying to emulate the same excitement when you came across SA-X in Fusion. But what makes SA-X great is that it was a obstacle throughout the entire game and you get to finish it off there at the end with a challenging battle. The EMMIs are more of a hinderance or annoyance to get past and when the fight comes its the same battle 6 or 7 times. Run away, pew pew gatling, run away, charge that beam into the face, every single time.

But personally i dont care about the emmi as much as the quick time events littered throughout the game. That shit fucking sucks. Miss that one small window and you’re or severally injured.
    What are these quick-time events you're referring to? I finished the game and the only really annoying thing was the EMMI.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I feel like I'm gonna break my controller with some of these shinespark puzzles. I wish the speed boost was on an actual button
    Haha, I know what you mean. I did my 100% today and one or two of those items are pretty painful to get. But in the end, it wasn't too bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I got my juices flowing by doing a few different runs of Super Metroid. Just a straight run, a “speedrun”(my 1.5 hours hardly qualifies), and then a game breaking golden torizo run. Lots of fun before entering Dread.
    Man I wish they would make a Super Metroid remake. What a game, what a game.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side