Thread: Metroid Dread

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Ouch. I only had an issue with sequence breaks in that area. A couple have very tight run ups. Most of the shinespark puzzles have enough room from what I remember. Save one for Missile+ that requires multiple recharges. I learned that as a sequence break though, so I didn’t mind the 20+ attempts.
    I don't mind it being slightly difficult, but with drift and having to hold a direction, click and quickly holding down, i'm getting kind of worried. I probably would have been fine with speed boost on the right stick
    Last edited by Video Games; 2021-10-19 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    What are these quick-time events you're referring to? I finished the game and the only really annoying thing was the EMMI.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, I know what you mean. I did my 100% today and one or two of those items are pretty painful to get. But in the end, it wasn't too bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Man I wish they would make a Super Metroid remake. What a game, what a game.
    Where you have to hit “Y” to parry on every boss fight and almost every monster has a parry encounter too. This is known as a quick time event.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    Where you have to hit “Y” to parry on every boss fight and almost every monster has a parry encounter too. This is known as a quick time event.
    By that definition, Sekiro had no combat, just a series of quick time events.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    By that definition, Sekiro had no combat, just a series of quick time events.
    Havent played that game. Anyways, the boss fights portion is 100% quick time events but the standard enemy’s are avoidable. What are quick time events? Its a event that requires a quick press of a button at a precise time.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

Game is ok, but the "invincible" robots are annoying and take most of the fun out of the game for it. They make me "dread" playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Most music post SNES era is forgettable. No longer are tracks on a 30 second loop playing over and over again to become earworms. I can't recall a track from any game in the last 20 years TBH but it isn't because the music in those games aren't good. The music in Metroid Dread is good and does the job it's required to do.
    Thats a hot take and a half!

Metroid Prime 1 and 2 alone have EXTREMELY memorable music. The soundtracks to those games were atmospheric and absolutely were part of why those games were the best games on the gamecube and personally my favorite of that era of games.

But take any era post SNES say PSX/N64 to GCN/PS2 and so on and theres so many stellar memorable soundtracks.

Post SNES. SNES era is still part of the shorter loops played 100s of times over in a play session.
    I know what the SNES era is lol. I was specifically mentioning games AFTER SNES era that have memorable music as a counterpoint to you saying they're a rarity. If the music isn't memorable to you, I can't argue with that. But your statement was that "most music post SNES era is forgettable" which is entirely different and I would argue is highly inaccurate. Not everyone has a goldfish memory, and there's a big difference between repetitive and memorable. I think there's a plethora of catchy music post SNES and I think most people would agree. Though maybe you've just been unlucky and are playing games with bland soundtracks.

I'm curious. If repetition is your main guideline for something being memorable, do you consider Chrono Trigger music to be less memorable than other music during the SNES era? Yasunori Mitsuda wrote the individual track durations to be about twice as long before repeating compared to other musical scores at the time, so the average gamer would hear the full song roughly half as many times. Does this make his music less memorable even though it repeats with less frequency?

I got my juices flowing by doing a few different runs of Super Metroid. Just a straight run, a “speedrun”(my 1.5 hours hardly qualifies), and then a game breaking golden torizo run. Lots of fun before entering Dread.
    thanks for the suggestion. I'm installing the emulator as we speak

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I feel like I'm gonna break my controller with some of these shinespark puzzles. I wish the speed boost was on an actual button
    Protip: when you wanna shinespark, hit b and THEN the direction you wanna shinespark, you can even do that in midair, but not if you are screwattacking (see protip 3).
    Protip 2: you can shinespark horizontally, hit an area where you can start running again, you can hit a shinespark immediately afterwards.
    Protip 3: you can shinespark in mid screw attack as well of you hit the shoot button at the same time or just before b to shinespark to break the screw attack.
    Protip 4: you can obviously shinespark diagonally or with a morphball.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yutilk View Post
    thanks for the suggestion. I'm installing the emulator as we speak
    Definitely play Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, those two are actually mandatory, the first for its timelessness, the second for its backstory for Dread.

After that definitely play AM2R and Metroid Prime trilogy, followed by Zero Mission and Samus Returns. Then play Dread.

I might leave Prime 1 for last, that's the peak of the series for me.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2021-10-20 at 11:49 AM.

So, if Super Metroid is a 9.5/10, Dread is a 6/10.

It's a good game, but it literally lacks everything that made Super Metroid, Fusion and Zero mission great; the atmosphere, the music, the scenery, the enemies, literally everything.

After completing my 100% run, I started a new game on hard mode and then I encountered my first EMMI, which I had completely forgotten. It killed every ounce of motivation I had and I'll probably never touch the game again for this reason.

Nintendo really dropped the ball on this one. As I said, it's still a good game but EMMI ruins every chance of replayability; I'm okay enduring that tedious game play the first time over, but not for a second time.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you kidding? Maybe not here or you, but I've seen it ripped in other places. But as for memorable, my comment stands. There hasn't been one non RPG(battle themes), or fighting game(stage theme) that I can remember since the SNES days and that's basically due to the lack of repetition and length of time playing any of those games.

I've easily replayed the entire MP trilogy 5-6 times and I don't remember any of it. Sure if it was played, I'd be likely to know where it came from. But the sheer repetition of of short loops from the 8 bit and 16 bit days is way so many of those games have "memorable" music.

I guess you can ad some WoW music due to the over 10,000 hours I have put into the game since launch, but seriously, I can hardly recall a modern gaming tune outside of what I have listed.

I also disagree with needing to have music in the foreground. Replaying the 2D Metroid games in anticipation of Dread and some just stick out and feel overly triumphant or fanfaric for the desolate/isolated feel the game is trying to portray IMO. But they are totally memorable.
    Come on now,. Metroid Prime might not have bangers like Lower Brinstar, but it's widely considered god tier ambient.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    So, if Super Metroid is a 9.5/10, Dread is a 6/10.

It's a good game, but it literally lacks everything that made Super Metroid, Fusion and Zero mission great; the atmosphere, the music, the scenery, the enemies, literally everything.

After completing my 100% run, I started a new game on hard mode and then I encountered my first EMMI, which I had completely forgotten. It killed every ounce of motivation I had and I'll probably never touch the game again for this reason.

Nintendo really dropped the ball on this one. As I said, it's still a good game but EMMI ruins every chance of replayability; I'm okay enduring that tedious game play the first time over, but not for a second time.
    Am I the only one who liked the Emmi parts? Some can be annoying trial and errors until you see something so bizarrely obvious after 20 attempts that you might think you have the dumb.

Tedious? How are the EMMI sections tedious? Stop using phantom cloak and run damn it.
    I think I used the Phantom Cloak like 3 times in an EMMI section. Other than that, you should be running. EMMI sections shouldn't be giving anyone trouble, which is one of the odd complaints I see.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Tedious? How are the EMMI sections tedious? Stop using phantom cloak and run damn it.
    I barely used phantom cloak; it's one of those useless abilities, like shooting after you get the screw attack

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    I think I used the Phantom Cloak like 3 times in an EMMI section. Other than that, you should be running. EMMI sections shouldn't be giving anyone trouble, which is one of the odd complaints I see.
    I don't think people complain because those sections are hard. They complain because they suck. Who wants to rush through content in a fucking Metroid game? Metroid is about exploring, about breathing in the atmosphere. Not about dying 8 times until you figure out where you should stand to shoot a bloody eye properly.

Anyway, from what I gather, most people really disliked the EMMI.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2021-10-20 at 05:40 PM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

It’s all a matter of using your tools correctly. Grapple beam is huge pre-gravity suit. Likewise using flash shift and slide to morph can make a difference if you’re somehow close to the emmi. I found the speed running aspect of these sections to be awesome.
    It's barely speed-running man; EMMI are extremely easy to avoid.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, at that point shooting is only useful against bosses. So much faster than missiles.
    Screw attack feels so damn satisfying. Of course it's OP, but at that point in the game it doesn't really matter.

Dread makes me want to play Super Metroid! I wish Nintendo would release a Metroid pack for the Switch.

I dont know how people can be confused on why people dislike the EMMI sections.

The EMMI can be in completely random locations. Literally sometimes you go into a room and its instant contact and thats 0 fault on the player.
    Then you have the underwater sections with EMMI and its stun lock shots/freeze vision.... good god just terrible sections.

People can praise the EMMI sections all they want but its pretty easy to understand why some people would absolutely hate those sections and why it would detract from the overall experiance.

The game felt 100% better once every EMMI was toast.

Super Metroid is part of the NSO deal. That’s where I did my playthroughs before dread. Wanted it in handheld the same way I’d be playing dread.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? And you can’t figure out how to bait it? I’ve really not gotten stuck on any single emmi for more than 3 or 4 minutes. And that was first runs.
    Again not the point.... Ive beaten the game so yes I "figured it out" my point is that its completely valid to dislike these sections and people shouldnt be puzzled that its not a universally praised part of the game.

Super Metroid is part of the NSO deal. That’s where I did my playthroughs before dread. Wanted it in handheld the same way I’d be playing dread.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? And you can’t figure out how to bait it? I’ve really not gotten stuck on any single emmi for more than 3 or 4 minutes. And that was first runs.
    After figuring out what to do with EMMI they are not bad. Only trouble I ran into with them is when trying to kill them finding right spot and keeping it aim on them to get their face covering off, but even then only takes me a couple tries. Other than that EMMI's ain't no thing, just run till you find an exit, after the first EMMI and figuring that out, and they're pretty easy to avoid. I mean, it's not praising them either, it's just they're not something I find complaint worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Protip: when you wanna shinespark, hit b and THEN the direction you wanna shinespark, you can even do that in midair, but not if you are screwattacking (see protip 3).
    Protip 2: you can shinespark horizontally, hit an area where you can start running again, you can hit a shinespark immediately afterwards.
    Protip 3: you can shinespark in mid screw attack as well of you hit the shoot button at the same time or just before b to shinespark to break the screw attack.
    Protip 4: you can obviously shinespark diagonally or with a morphball.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely play Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, those two are actually mandatory, the first for its timelessness, the second for its backstory for Dread.

After that definitely play AM2R and Metroid Prime trilogy, followed by Zero Mission and Samus Returns. Then play Dread.

I might leave Prime 1 for last, that's the peak of the series for me.
    If I remember correctly Zero Mission is the GBA game?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and no, the Emmi is never an instant touch. I’ve played through the game 7 or 8 times and never seen that. I’ve seen shit spawns where I have to bait it, but not right when you step in.
    I've had that happen more than once; you enter an emmi zone and the emmi sees you right away and you can't get out. It's one of those "put down the controller" moments.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    After figuring out what to do with EMMI they are not bad. Only trouble I ran into with them is when trying to kill them finding right spot and keeping it aim on them to get their face covering off, but even then only takes me a couple tries. Other than that EMMI's ain't no thing, just run till you find an exit, after the first EMMI and figuring that out, and they're pretty easy to avoid. I mean, it's not praising them either, it's just they're not something I find complaint worthy.
    As I sid before, I don't think people generally dislike EMMI because of the difficulty. I think they dislike it because every single fucking zone is basically the same. You run through, fail a few times, run through again, kill the eye, fail afterwards until you find the correct spot to stand to knock off the eye and kill it. This times 6. Yeah, not my idea of fun content, but I'm not big on repetitive shit so maybe that's just me being spoiled.

The game was ten times better when all EMMI we're toast.