Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    You can’t really debate whether the action was appropriate (taking down a website to review its content when the website also included a suicide help number) within the strictures of these debate parameters.

I’ll reserve judgement in this bash-fest on Texas, Republicans, and Abbott until more information comes out about who made the decision and any changes in the website and reporting following content review. I will however note that the website still features a number for Texas Youth Services, obviously able to direct callers to suicide hotline help.
    Bullshit.

Who fucking cares what you or anyone else thinks about transgender anything.

Its a suicide hotline for people wanting to kill themselves. It doesn't fucking matter what you think about gender.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Everything's bigger in Texas, especially the bigotry, racism, and insensitivity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Yeah, you just go ahead and ignore that the vast majority of the world doesn't agree with your opinion.
    The liberal opinion is a minority, and one that keeps growing smaller every day.
    In addition to what everyone else said; there was a time when the global majority were definitely pro-slavery. Or thought women weren't people.

It didn't make them right. It just meant that majority were small-minded bigots.

"Yeah, we're bigoted and unthinking, but there's more of US than YOU" is certainly . . . a take.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Yes, but only until they manage to make it legal to murder them.
    Well, the point is basically by these right-wingers to have enough kill themselves so the others feel unsafe to the point they don't come out. Then have them put in the military where they can die over in some corner of the world fighting that other group of people they don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    And this will get them more votes?
    Well, after decades of homophobia....they figure that actually working to get the LGBTQ+ vote would be too hard...but it's really easy to appeal to the bigots.

I mean, the attack point here is that Abbot is actually a "trans-advocate" because he wasn't being enough of a bigot. And his response is to bascially say "I'll show you how big of a bigot I can be". They are literally fighting over who hates transpeople more in order to secure the Republican Primary.

And this is pretty common in Republican Primaries. They all run as far to the Right as they can to secure the primary...then they have to try and run back towards the centre a little to try and secure the General Election.

A similar thing happens in the Democratic Primaries...but they don't have to go nearly so far to the left before they turn around back towards the centre. Because, despite what Fox News might say, the Democrat Party as a whole is not "Left-wing". At best they are centrists that occasionally lean left a bit.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-10-14 at 01:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you just go ahead and ignore that the vast majority of the world doesn't agree with your opinion.
    The liberal opinion is a minority, and one that keeps growing smaller every day.
    I actually think a vast majority of the world would indeed agree that the US conservative movement is anti-trans.

But thanks for just showing us how poorly you pay attention to what people are actually saying.
    Forum badass alert:
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Good point, well made.

US politics (and many others, tbf) could really do with some kind of giant enema to flush out all the shit.
    I don't know Trump's thoughts on Abbott offhand, but I'm assuming Abbott is trying to do this as a ploy to prove he's "Trump crazy" enough for the Trump crowd, as opposed to them deferring to some Trump-supporting candidate in the vote.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I don't know Trump's thoughts on Abbott offhand, but I'm assuming Abbott is trying to do this as a ploy to prove he's "Trump crazy" enough for the Trump crowd, as opposed to them deferring to some Trump-supporting candidate in the vote.
    What's happening is Abbot is getting Primaried by an even more "Trump-Crazy" dude...so now Abbot has to go that extra mile to prove tha the's the Trumpiest.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    You can’t really debate whether the action was appropriate (taking down a website to review its content when the website also included a suicide help number) within the strictures of these debate parameters.

I’ll reserve judgement in this bash-fest on Texas, Republicans, and Abbott until more information comes out about who made the decision and any changes in the website and reporting following content review. I will however note that the website still features a number for Texas Youth Services, obviously able to direct callers to suicide hotline help.
    The fact that you believe there's a discussion to be had about removing a SUICIDE HOTLINE just because it's for a subset of people you don't like is very telling.

There is no discussion. Taking away someone's lifeline is evil. It's not bashing Texas and the GOP. The Texas GOP is evil, pure and simple. That's not up for debate.

You can debate your feelings on gender on other web sites and with other people, since it's against the rules here. But at the very least you could admit that taking away a SUICIDE HOTLINE is evil no matter who it's for.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2021-10-14 at 04:59 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    The fact that you believe there's a discussion to be had about removing a SUICIDE HOTLINE just because it's for a subset of people you don't like is very telling.

There is no discussion. Taking away someone's lifeline is evil. It's not bashing Texas and the GOP. The Texas GOP is evil, pure and simple. That's not up for debate.

You can debate your feelings on gender on other web sites and with other people, since it's against the rules here. But at the very least you could admit that taking away a SUICIDE HOTLINE is evil no matter who it's for.
    To play devil's advocate for a moment (and see my earlier posts if you think I'm not totally shitting on Abbott in general), there are reasons you might end such a service, legitimately. Maybe it's not being used, and you're staffing the call centers and nobody's calling. Maybe suicide rates have tanked and there's just little need. Maybe you're expanding some other system and rolling these services into the larger one. All valid options, in theory.

The problem here is that Abbot's only apparent motive was being accused of supporting "trans ideology" whateverthefuck that means (I know; it's just coded language for "trans people just want to live their lives and that's bad to us conservative bigoted fuckstains"). That is why he's an evil, sadistic, bigoted shithead. It's not just that he removed the hotline, it really is why he removed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I dunno, I feel like you kinda missed my point there.

It's less, "Fuck those kids, I hate kids." and more, "I know this is wrong, but I'm willing to harm these kids for the sake of votes."

(Same goes for masks, vaccines, abortions, etc. The actual people in power know vaccines aren't a bad thing, but they're willing to do harm to their populace for the sake of those votes. They don't actually care about the fetus, but they're willing to do harm to women for the sake of votes.)

The latter is much worse from where I'm sitting. It's not just ignorant or misguided. It's willfully doing harm - knowing that it's wrong - just for your own benefit.

Maybe the difference is academic to some people, but I think it's a very important distinction to make. Assuming that they hate some group, or don't understand vaccines, or have an honestly held belief about a fetus' soul suggests that there's a discussion to be had. That you could enlighten them somehow, make them see their error, change their mind. But that's not going to happen, because it's not about their beliefs. It's about their willingness to do harm on a broad scale if they think it'll get them votes.
    Either way it is pure fucking evil to either intend to cause harm to kids because you hate them or causing kids pain in order to gain votes. This is one of those 6 of one, half a dozen of the either. No matter which way you slice it Republicans are pure fucking evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    To play devil's advocate for a moment (and see my earlier posts if you think I'm not totally shitting on Abbott in general), there are reasons you might end such a service, legitimately. Maybe it's not being used, and you're staffing the call centers and nobody's calling. Maybe suicide rates have tanked and there's just little need. Maybe you're expanding some other system and rolling these services into the larger one. All valid options, in theory.

The problem here is that Abbot's only apparent motive was being accused of supporting "trans ideology" whateverthefuck that means (I know; it's just coded language for "trans people just want to live their lives and that's bad to us conservative bigoted fuckstains"). That is why he's an evil, sadistic, bigoted shithead. It's not just that he removed the hotline, it really is why he removed it.
    If they were closed due to lack of use, due to no one calling, and suicide rates having tanked, then that's when the search for hidden mass graves should start in heavy Trump states. Because the reason why would be very grim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know it has been said many times now, but the cruelty is the point with the GQP.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Or just you know they can use the normal suicide hotline like everyone else.

The very notion that there needs to be something such as a "trans kids suicide hotline" on a republican or government webpage in specific is absurd to begin with.
    It is absurd, but hatemongers tend to make a lot of absurd things a necessity. Perhaps stop wanting people to turn nazi to counter evil leftism, and such things would be less needed. Or how did the priceless post of yours (in another thread a while back) go word for word. Got the gist of it tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

7+ Year Old Account
    Or just you know they can use the normal suicide hotline like everyone else.
    It's almost as if different hotlines are run by different people, with different qualifications, that have access to different resources.

Sure they could use the regular hotline, it's not gonna be much of a help if the person at the other end of the line doesn't really know how to actually help them with their case.

Formerly known as Arafal

This comment would pack more punch if it wasn't said on a platform that basically functions as a safe-space right now.
    If this was safe space, your dumb ass would be permanently removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Yes, but only until they manage to make it legal to murder them.
    It is legal. Look up the "gay panic defense".
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

Don't tell me they aren't trying.
    With 5 point infractions? Please...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    If this was safe space, your dumb ass would be permanently removed.
    Not to mention dozens of other posters.

Don't tell me they aren't trying.
    You've been here for almost 10 years. No, they aren't. Stop playing the victim.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

I don't really see what the problem is. They can just use the regular suicide hotlines like everyone else.