Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Question Recently acquired a PS5: sell for more PC parts or keep?

I was really excited to finally get a new PS5. I waited so long for it and I finally got one! It arrived at my home last week but I haven't opened it yet. So far I'm only interest in 4k gaming and not the actual PS5 games. I currently have a 3080 + ryzen 3600 eventually ill upgrade the CPU but for now ill keep it. My ultrawide wont support a PS5. The $70 games and $60/year is seriously making me regret buying a PS5. My TV also doesn't support 120hz @4k which is a bummer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    I was really excited to finally get a new PS5. I waited so long for it and I finally got one! It arrived at my home last week but I haven't opened it yet. So far I'm only interest in 4k gaming and not the actual PS5 games. I currently have a 3080 + ryzen 3600 eventually ill upgrade the CPU but for now ill keep it. My ultrawide wont support a PS5. The $70 games and $60/year is seriously making me regret buying a PS5. My TV also doesn't support 120hz @4k which is a bummer.
    The capitalist in me says sell it for a profit. The human being in me says find someone willing to reimburse your purchase cost. The video game lover in me says keep it for exclusives.

Ultimately, it's your decision.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    waste of money

10+ Year Old Account
    If you aren't planning on using it, then keeping it is a waste.

10+ Year Old Account
    as someone who last bought a console when the 360 launched i can't say there's been any game on either platform that has made me want a console over my PC for gaming, honestly i would sell it and use the funds to purchase better PC hardware if that's what the funds would be put to, seeing as the chip shortage and short supply of key items is going to make prices sky rocket towards the end of this year it might be a smart move, although if you're in no rush then you could just save and wait for a more opportune time, honestly though it's up to you what you wanna do.

Sell that useless piece of junk dude, heck, you can even make a profit off it at the moment. Don't ask me why, but people are willing to pay a premium to pollute their homes with that abomination.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Maybe sell it before PlayStation Showcase if you not going to use it,new model might be reveal in the showcase and old model lose some value

Depends on if you really wanna play those PS5 exclusives. If you do then keep it if not then sell it. As for upgrading the CPU, if you really wanna play at 4k, then a cpu upgrade right now won't do much for you. Also keep in mind that the current AM4 mobos up to b550 and x570 are end of line upgrade paths since they're changing the socket for the next CPU series. It also depens a lot on what games are you playing. If you wanna get best bang for the buck cpu upgrade my advice would be keep your current cpu and play games that are on your backburner list till the Ryzen 6000 cpus come out. Then buy a 5900x or a 5950x since their prices will likely drop with the new CPU line out.
    That's what i'm currently doing. Still got my Ryzen 7 1800x(got it for 160 euros a bit after the 2700x came out so it was a steal), and since i'm 4k gaming the cpus is still fine(i lose only around 5-15% vs smth like the r9 5900x depending on the game if they are newer at 4k). I'm gonna upgrade it to a 5900x after the 6000 series comes out to get it for a lower price. Just save the rest of your money for a future gpu upgrade in case prices remain retarded and you wanna stay on the cutting edge graphics wise cause chances are a GPU will still cost you a kidney or 3.

Edit: Forgot to mention i'm using a amd 6800xt(was the only one i managed to snag when it came out for msrp). Would have liked a 3080 to take full advantage of RT but with the current chip shortage i'm happy i got something from current gen for MSRP.
    Last edited by Tyresias; 2021-09-06 at 09:59 AM.

I don't think anyone can answer this question except you? It's not really a question of hardware. It's a question of personal finances. Do you need the cash badly?

Because personally I'd keep it just to have it, and upgrade my TV to get the most out of it.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Depending on the country you live at you aren't currently making that much profit when selling a PS5.
    Netherlands/Europe just didn't have regular supply drops compared to the US so in the US you had scalping was actually a thing and people made good profit of it.
    Now however I see regular new supply drops so what's the point in selling a single PS5 for at best a modest profit assuming you weren't forced to buy a expensive addons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    I think pc parts will take you a longer way and hold more resale value over the years if thats your thing. In general pc parts have massive longevity I mean I have 10 year old gaming pc that now serves as a fine office pc. Consoles are pretty much useless once their time is up.
    A console is still a console capable of playing every new release for about 7-8 years. I mean, the PS4 released in 2013, it can still play like every non-exclusive AAA title that releases.
    And hell, there are *STILL* some games made last year that you can play on PS3, and that was released in 2006

A 10 year old gaming pc might be worth more in absolute terms, but probably less relative to how much you bought it for
    Last edited by Temp name; 2021-09-04 at 10:55 AM.

Doesn't make much sense to keep it just in case you might use it at some point.

Sell it for more and buy it for cheap when you actually want to use it

i'd flip it. if you want one, you can always get one later when the supply issues are resolved. right now, you could make a killer profit from selling it.

Unless you're going to play one of Sony's very, very few Hostage Franchises, then sell this thing on for a profit and put that money towards PC parts if you need them.

It doesn't offer a unique experience or anything.

You can plug your PC into your TV and use a PS5 controller (or Xbox 360, Xbone, XSeries, PS4, PS3, etc, etc) with Steam in Big Picture Mode. All the games that are on both systems support controllers on PC (that im aware of*).

So unless you just HAVE to play The Last of Us or something...

Make dat money.

Sell it. Sony is finally getting into PC ports of their exclusives anyways. Wait a bit and they’ll be on PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Which one of those ropes can I hang myself with

The $70 games and $60/year is seriously making me regret buying a PS5.