What is the source of dark shamanism?.

So for whatever reason i was reading the wowpedia page of the void and in the shaman section, it says that dark shamanism is made through the use of the void, it even references a quest from Wod, i was convinced it was the decay element and not the void what shamans use to do dark shamanism. Any explanation?.

Dark Shamanism was introduced in 5.3, when you had Kor'Kron Dark Shamans enslaving elementals across the Barrens. This event has since been removed from the game. The Dark Shamans were led by two former Orgrimmar Shaman trainer NPCs (class trainers were made irrelevant in Cata because you automatically learn all skills now without having to ever visit a trainer. Bringing the trainers back for SoO was nice. IIRC they even killed off the Warlock trainer too). We didn't get much lore on how they actually differed besides "enslaving the elements" vs regular shamans asking the elements for help. RPers made it out to be whatever they wanted it to be.

In WoD, the Shadowmoon Valley questline has you deal with the Shadowmoon clan, who worshipped the Void (coincidentally this was the same expansion that introduced the Void and did the stupid "Light is just another side of the same coin as the Void" retcon). But I don't recall Dark Shamanism being connected to the Void.

It appears to be two different methods that achieve the same result. Everything points to the True Horde's dark shamans using Decay (which is described as a tool to subjugate the elements) while the Void is only mentioned in relation to the Warsong Clan on AU Draenor.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought being a dark shaman is basically just a shaman being a complete asshole to the elements and forcing them to do shit against their nature thus corrupting them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    BDSM combined with classic shamanism. Thats it. And keep in mind even taunka in wotlk liked to be a bit "forceful" with their elementals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    I thought being a dark shaman is basically just a shaman being a complete asshole to the elements and forcing them to do shit against their nature thus corrupting them.

That's the interpretation I had as well. Instead of attempting to "call for aid" from the elements and wield them that way, you are "forcing them" or "bending them to your will" and that's the exact same definition used to explain Spirit and Decay:

Unlike Spirit, which is used to communicate with the elements and/or heal, Decay binds the elements to one's will, forces them into servitude and weaponize them. This is also the main reason why dark shaman are able to use the elements (in a twisted form nonetheless) even without asking the elements for permission.

So I suppose player character Shaman are by default using Spirit to "communicate" with the elements in order to wield them? We are the heroes! We certainly cannot be evil... /s

It varies. Sometimes it's just browbeating the elements like in the Pandaland Tillers story. Sometimes it's using the Void as a medium to control them like with WoD's Warsong. The most recurring version based on the post-Chronicle wheel is that dark shamanism is the manipulation of the elements filtered through decay instead of spirit, which is why they have that ashen look and it's meant to be dangerous. It's also why the Dark Shaman raid bosses/former shaman trainers have the elements they summon be twisted as well as being controlled against their will, air is noxious, fire is more like ash etc.

The decay explanation also solves the issue of why the taunka are treated sensibly regarding forcing the elements while the Blackrock method is considered evil, as it's not only about your relationship with the elements but the medium you're using with decay being inherently destructive.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    In WoD, the Shadowmoon Valley questline has you deal with the Shadowmoon clan, who worshipped the Void (coincidentally this was the same expansion that introduced the Void and did the stupid "Light is just another side of the same coin as the Void" retcon).
    What are you talking about, that's been a thing ever since the introduction of the Naaru in BC.

It's like shaman but dark blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Piamonte View Post
    So for whatever reason i was reading the wowpedia page of the void and in the shaman section, it says that dark shamanism is made through the use of the void, it even references a quest from Wod, i was convinced it was the decay element and not the void what shamans use to do dark shamanism. Any explanation?.
    If I remember correctly shamanism vs dark shamanism was like blood knights vs paladins

traditional shamanism is about asking elements for powers and blessings and also served them too in bringing balance between elements

dark shaman were first introduced in WotLK. They were not called such back then.
    Taunka who joined horde used different type of shamanism. they lived in harsh enviroment and forced elements to serve them
    also manga Shaman shows us how Earthen Ring was formed. when suddenly ling deceased tauren shaman arrived and showed tauren people new powers and ways how to dominate elementals instead of living in balance with them. he was later defeated and appeared ro be possessed by Ragnaros himself

in cata we also saw comic goblin shaman who kills his own element who later seeks vengeance against him

and in MoP we saw Garrosh and his true horde reinvent Dark Shamanism into new level which Garrosh first saw in Northrend. young hellscream was always about taking by force. so he prefered shamans who demand and get not ask and wait

this is why Thrall was easily beaten in SoO. there were no elements to help him. all were enslaved by garrosh's dark shaman or fled area

Quote Originally Posted by Piamonte View Post
    speaking of which, what about mages enslaving water elementals?

Quote Originally Posted by Bali View Post
    speaking of which, what about mages enslaving water elementals?
    thats just magic enslaving the elementals.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Dark Shamanism was introduced in 5.3
    dark shamans existed before that
    https://tbc.wowhead.com/npc=5860/twilight-dark-shaman
    https://tbc.wowhead.com/npc=16873/bl...ow-dark-shaman