Poll: IS US Worker Militancy Rising?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    ... So
    That act practically makes a General Strike illegal.
    - Lars

  2. #22
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Love, Cassie & Nina
    Posts
    55,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Ah yes, the airline pilots, the most underpaid class. Surely this mass sudden quit has nothing to do with vaccine mandates
    It doesn't, there were staffing and pay issues in the airline sector long before COVID hit.

    But hey don't let me interrupt you talking out of your ass or anything.
    You're not "playing devil's advocate", you're making someone who is likely speaking from personal experience defend themselves against the shitty and oppressive opinion you're too embarrassed to admit you actually believe in. It's you. You're the devil.

  3. #23
    Merely a Setback JohnBrown1917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Posts
    28,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    training, culture, experience, talent and cost of hiring of course they are under no obligation to deal with them but in a lot of cases they would be incredibly stupid not to compromise. People don't seem to realize how hard it is to put a team of competent people together even in minimum wage jobs there are a lot of people you can't really just replace that easily.
    Yet a lot of companies in the world will still fire anybody trying to start an union.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Timmy still can get lunch, it's just not free.

  4. #24
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Love, Cassie & Nina
    Posts
    55,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    I read that in some states 25 to 40% of the workforce quit over the past 1-2 months due to vaccine mandates
    Cool story, is your source for this going to be a mysteriously disappearing Twitter or Reddit post as usual?

    Because the actual evidence shows the opposite.

    Surveys have shown that as many as half of unvaccinated workers say they will leave their jobs if they're forced to get the COVID-19 shot, but in reality few of them actually quit. That's according to an article in The Conversation, a nonprofit news organization that covers academic research.

    Researchers looked at companies that have vaccine mandates in place and saw that, so far, only a fraction of workers leave their jobs when it comes down to it.

    "In other words, vaccine mandates are unlikely to result in a wave of resignations — but they are likely to lead to a boost in vaccination rates," they write.
    So no, this is almost entirely a function of being overworked and underpaid for it which there were signs of, again, long before COVID hit. The plague is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

    The problem isn't vaccine mandates or SJWs or whatever peripheral cause you as a business owner are going to point to in order to absolve yourself of the culpability of benefiting from a bad system. The problem is capitalism (yes, even in China. The Lying Down movement is a direct reaction to the increasing pervasiveness of 'live to work' attitudes being propagated by people with capital).
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-10-15 at 11:35 AM.
    You're not "playing devil's advocate", you're making someone who is likely speaking from personal experience defend themselves against the shitty and oppressive opinion you're too embarrassed to admit you actually believe in. It's you. You're the devil.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    I read that in some states 25 to 40% of the workforce quit over the past 1-2 months due to vaccine mandates. While those numbers might be questionable, there is no doubt at least a considerable impact if even 5 to 10% of the workforce is quitting over that particular reason.

    It might show that the reasons why the workforce is supposedly "militant" and quitting all over the place are very diverse though.

    Even in the EU there is a sudden surge of employees quitting the lowest paid jobs (even with minimum wage being at $20 in some places) because of disagreements over no longer getting their covid-bonuses and compensations now most restrictions are being lifted.

    Notable even in China there is a sudden movement going on of people quitting their blue collar jobs.
    How do you explain that this has been an ongoing trend for quite a while now? Vaccine mandates are fairly recent thing, are they able to travel back in time too? The pandemic is a life changing event people worked from home for over a year new standards have been set, people have new priorities now having spent that much quality time with family.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    So no, this is almost entirely a function of being overworked and underpaid for it which there were signs of, again, long before COVID hit. The plague is just the straw that broke the camel's back.
    Nothing like a company dumping you during the pandemic to change your view of jobs security and company loyalty. Employers wondering why people aren't coming back is like your ex girlfriend wondering why you haven't come back after she dumped the guy she cheated on you with.

  6. #26
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Love, Cassie & Nina
    Posts
    55,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Nothing like a company dumping you during the pandemic to change your view of jobs security and company loyalty. Employers wondering why people aren't coming back is like your ex girlfriend wondering why you haven't come back after she dumped the guy she cheated on you with.
    The other funny thing is that the uptick in people quitting recently is proof positive that the increased unemployment benefits weren't the thing discouraging people from going back to work.

    But no we have to find any excuse besides coming to terms with the fact that the global economy has normalized a culture of exploitation because otherwise we might hurt the fee fees of a bunch of rich assholes. /s
    You're not "playing devil's advocate", you're making someone who is likely speaking from personal experience defend themselves against the shitty and oppressive opinion you're too embarrassed to admit you actually believe in. It's you. You're the devil.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    I read that in some states 25 to 40% of the workforce quit over the past 1-2 months due to vaccine mandates. While those numbers might be questionable, there is no doubt at least a considerable impact if even 5 to 10% of the workforce is quitting over that particular reason.

    It might show that the reasons why the workforce is supposedly "militant" and quitting all over the place are very diverse though.

    Even in the EU there is a sudden surge of employees quitting the lowest paid jobs (even with minimum wage being at $20 in some places) because of disagreements over no longer getting their covid-bonuses and compensations now most restrictions are being lifted.

    Notable even in China there is a sudden movement going on of people quitting their blue collar jobs.
    You heard wrong, so nobody knows where you conjured those numbers.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    The other funny thing is that the uptick in people quitting recently is proof positive that the increased unemployment benefits weren't the thing discouraging people from going back to work.

    But no we have to find any excuse besides coming to terms with the fact that the global economy has normalized a culture of exploitation because otherwise we might hurt the fee fees of a bunch of rich assholes. /s
    Yup all these conservatives were blaming the benefits for this are now silent sadly grasping for straws saying it's the mask mandates. It's pretty obvious people are fed up, this pandemic has been going on for 2 years it would be amazing if people's priorities didn't change.

  9. #29
    Merely a Setback JohnBrown1917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Posts
    28,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    ... So
    That act practically makes a General Strike illegal.
    At least they probably wont bomb strikers any more.



    probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Timmy still can get lunch, it's just not free.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Because of course it is.

    America, land of the free.

    Lol.

  11. #31
    The Insane Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    18,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    No no, you heard him.

    "Unionization is a pure expression of capitalism" is an implicit admission that capitalism doesn't work unless regulated.
    Its also a tacit admission that capitalism REQUIRES the use of force. The NAP bullshit doesn't even stand up to their own scrutiny
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    No no, you heard him.

    "Unionization is a pure expression of capitalism" is an implicit admission that capitalism doesn't work unless regulated.
    No it's not.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Its also a tacit admission that capitalism REQUIRES the use of force. The NAP bullshit doesn't even stand up to their own scrutiny
    Once again, no it's not.

  13. #33
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Because of course it is.

    America, land of the free.

    Lol.
    Now I'm really curious how the moneyed classes would try to handle a General Strike if it happend. Based on that packet of laws.
    - Lars

  14. #34
    Elemental Lord PfeffermintShake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Woke Mob Craft Services
    Posts
    8,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    You heard wrong, so nobody knows where you conjured those numbers.
    It's a symptom of a person who gets all of their political info from Joe Rogan.

    They might think that being; bald and saying bigoted things, makes Joe a representative of Working Class folks. When he's really just a wierdo being paid a Billion to give people their dopamine hits on Spotify.

    When asked on CBS Mornings about the company's vaccine mandate for staff, the CEO of United Airlines also said, "Out of our 67,000 U.S. employees, there are 232 who haven't been vaccinated. They are going through the termination process."

    Only the criminally stupid would think that 232 is 25% or 40% of 67,000. But let me brag about my career in corporate finance!
    /s

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    You got some really weird hangups about Joe Rogan. I never even mentioned the airlines...
    What I read was mostly specifically talking about the public workforce in particular towns and cities in certain states.

    Besides I was already questioning the validity of those numbers in the very same post (which conveniently was left out so a strawman to attack could be created), because I knew the political bias of those that were reporting it.

    Nevertheless, as I pointed out, even if it's up to 5% that is still a considerable amount of people. Just another straw.

    Some places really struggle because of the mandates, predominantly the police force apparently. Defunding themselves?

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...338_story.html
    https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/artic...d-16532932.php

    Bonus: When you do a job typically only performed by people with PhD's, online comments about stupidity don't tend to have any impact or meaning.
    What job do you do in Florida, that normally requires that degree?

    - - - Updated - - -



    Let them quit, then the progressives get what they want, and they win.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2021-10-15 at 03:20 PM.

  16. #36
    There's no widespread polling on the reasons for increases in people quitting, and we're still in the midst of a pandemic.
    Home care workers face deadline to get vaccinated in NY

    ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — Home health aides who refuse to get a COVID-19 vaccination are barred from working with patients in New York as of Friday under a new state mandate that one industry group warned could lead to thousands of caregivers losing their jobs.

    The mandate, put in place by Gov. Kathy Hochul, also applies to workers at assisted living homes, hospice care, treatment centers and AIDS home care programs. It comes on top of another mandate, implemented last month, that covered hospital and nursing home workers.

    About 86% of 244,750 home health aides who provide direct care in New York have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, according to state Department of Health self-reported data provided to The Associated Press on Friday.

    Of those aides, 71.3% are fully vaccinated.

    About 86% of 244,750 home health aides who provide direct care in New York have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, according to state Department of Health self-reported data provided to The Associated Press on Friday.

    Of those aides, 71.3% are fully vaccinated.
    https://katv.com/news/nation-world/h...ccinated-in-ny

    IBM told U.S. employees this week that they must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 by Dec. 8 or face an unpaid suspension.

    The company told workers that it must comply with President Joe Biden’s vaccine mandate for government contractors.

    “As a federal contractor, it is a business imperative for IBM to comply with this mandate,” the company said in a memo sent to employees this week. “In light of this requirement, the policies of many of our clients and partners, and the easy access to vaccines around the country, we will now require all IBM U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated by December 8, 2021, in order to work at IBM.”
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/07/ibm-...uspension.html

    No polling on who's quitting ahead of that mandate.

    Some healthcare workers at Ascension St. John said they're looking for new jobs after they said they were not allowed to opt out of the COVID-19 vaccine mandate.
    In July, Ascension said it would require all employees get a vaccine by November or people would lose their jobs.

    Many nurses and healthcare workers contacted News on 6, saying their exemption requests were denied and they feel they have no choice but to leave.

    "I love helping people," said Rachael Parker. "I'm a people advocate."
    https://www.newson6.com/story/616874...cine-mandates-

    Sadly, still falling short of full national statistics. Who's quitting ahead of mandates coming to federal contractors and feared to be coming on all employers with more than 100 employees? Who's quitting because they have children who have no other caretaker when their schools close down for weeks after some staff or kids test positive for COVID?

    I know any minor increase in workers quitting jobs is tough to disentangle from pandemic and mandate policy-related reasons. And without large sample size polling, which probably won't be available for another month or two months, it's incredibly hard to lay the blame at cost of living increases not able to be born with current pay. And one labor union strike after contract negotiations fail is the same kind of anecdotal evidence that should be weighed against the other anecdotal evidence of quitting ahead of/concurrent with mandates.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Good inclusion.
    Last edited by tehdang; 2021-10-15 at 03:27 PM.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  17. #37
    Elemental Lord PfeffermintShake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Woke Mob Craft Services
    Posts
    8,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    What job do you do in Florida, that normally requires that degree?

    - - - Updated - - -



    Let them quit, then the progressives get what they want, and they win.
    A Phd in standard--to-metric-conversions-for-US-engineers apparently.

    They didnt spend four years at conversion school to be called Mr Reactionarydumdum.

  18. #38
    if this is how we get a general strike going then I'm all for it. all it took was a world wide pandemic to show how flimsy our economy is and how it's geared to only ever helping the super rich, the CEO's and shareholders. like the super rich now control more wealth than the middle class of this country. that's not sustainable. there is either going to be a catastrophic economic collapse or the middle and working class have to fight for their right to survive in this society.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Oh, and another point. I wouldn't even trust the numbers that are being reported there either. US media is perhaps the most unreliable in the entire world nowadays with all of them being politically affiliated one way or the other.
    Then, why did you move here?

    It's ironic that you speak of unreliable numbers, when you moved to Florida of all places.

    Why did you move to Florida?

  20. #40
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Love, Cassie & Nina
    Posts
    55,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Oh, and another point. I wouldn't even trust the numbers that are being reported there either. US media is perhaps the most unreliable in the entire world nowadays with all of them being politically affiliated one way or the other.
    Nah we should just trust entirely unsourced claims instead. /s

    There is such a thing as having a mind so open that your brain falls out the back of your head, you know.
    You're not "playing devil's advocate", you're making someone who is likely speaking from personal experience defend themselves against the shitty and oppressive opinion you're too embarrassed to admit you actually believe in. It's you. You're the devil.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •