Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Personally, I think that Medivh should be explored to a much greater degree.
    But not by the hands of the current writing team. Other than Velen, they have royally @#$&ed every single character they've put their paws on (yes, even Jaina).
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    I doubt it. It really feels like they just pluck 4 or 5 lore characters at the start of an expansion who'll be relevant for the plot.
    And this expansion is the Super Friends!
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrathion is busy at the dragon isles tho
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    But not by the hands of the current writing team. Other than Velen, they have royally @#$&ed every single character they've put their paws on (yes, even Jaina).
    Yeah, that's the kicker. Ever since Deathwing was mishandled as badly as he was, I realize that I haven't actively enjoyed anything about WoW's narrative. I enjoy the speculation and theorizing... but the actual answers we get? The stories as written? I honestly haven't been outright impressed since WarCraft III. WoW at launch, TBC, and WotLK brought the world that I enjoy so much "to life," and there stories therein were serviceable. But nothing original that the modern writers have output has impressed me at all.

Getting attention paid to the characters and concepts I'm interested in seems like a bit of a corrupted wish. Could you imagine if you had been waiting to visit the Shadowlands for two decades of your life, and this is the expansion and story you get?

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Yeah, that's the kicker. Ever since Deathwing was mishandled as badly as he was, I realize that I haven't actively enjoyed anything about WoW's narrative. I enjoy the speculation and theorizing... but the actual answers we get? The stories as written? I honestly haven't been outright impressed since WarCraft III. WoW at launch, TBC, and WotLK brought the world that I enjoy so much "to life," and there stories therein were serviceable. But nothing original that the modern writers have output has impressed me at all.

Getting attention paid to the characters and concepts I'm interested in seems like a bit of a corrupted wish. Could you imagine if you had been waiting to visit the Shadowlands for two decades of your life, and this is the expansion and story you get?
    I think Suramar, the Nightborne and Nighthold was executed flawlessly (except the allied race in the end) and is maybe the best story this game has seen in over a decade. I have no idea why they weren’t able to replicate this in BfA or Shadowlands. I mean, they don’t even come close to such a great narrative and writing at the moment.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    I think Suramar, the Nightborne and Nighthold was executed flawlessly (except the allied race in the end) and is maybe the best story this game has seen in over a decade. I have no idea why they weren’t able to replicate this in BfA or Shadowlands. I mean, they don’t even come close to such a great narrative and writing at the moment.
    I will admit, I respect Suramar on a technical level. But I wasn't impressed, conceptually. They were an "ass pull" when we already have the criminally under-explored Highbourne. It wasn't necessary at all to create them when we already have something conceptually identical. This is an issue with a ton of modern WoW - they would rather recreate an existing concept in their own way and dub it "original" than further explore something created by someone else.

Whenever I see someone insisting that Anduin and Wrathion are a couple it just makes me just shake my head. Have you never had a good platonic friend of the same sex? That's obvious what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    How would he get there? Everyone that is there with us from Azeorth came here when we did using bolvars helm fragments. From a story standpoint that opening has closed until we reopen it.
    If theres one thing Blizzard can do better then anyone else, its shoving Deus Ex Machinas into any story they want. If they want Wrathion there, he'll stumble across some magical Titan doo-dad, or cosmic mcguffin device, or have the spirit of Deathwing come back and send him to the Shadowlands etc...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Whenever I see someone insisting that Anduin and Wrathion are a couple it just makes me just shake my head. Have you never had a good platonic friend of the same sex? That's obvious what they are.
    Theres actually a SOLID story arc that could be done with them becoming lovers and being co-Kings, which they could weave in subtle social commentary using the denizens of the Alliance reacting and Anduin using it as..... who am I kidding.. this is Blizzard, they either wont do or they'll do it in a ham fisted "BeInG gAy Is GrEaT oK" kind of way.

Title.

We know there's a specific chemistry between both (fits Blizzard recent agenda very well on top of that). Will Wrathion's compassion for Anduin help us in freeing him from the Jailer's influence? Will Wrathion partake in Anduin's rescue? This could neatly tie over into the next expansion, which might be Dragonflight-focused as well.

What do you think?
    Yes.

Anduin will fall in a deep slumber during the fight against the Jailer in 9.2 and Wrathion will wake up him with a kiss of pure love, shipping us into 10.0 and embracing the true wokenism of Blizzard, yay LGBTQ stories but nay women in the game.

Unironically i would pay double sub for a storytelling like that but eh..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Theres actually a SOLID story arc that could be done with them becoming lovers and being co-Kings, which they could weave in subtle social commentary using the denizens of the Alliance reacting and Anduin using it as..... who am I kidding.. this is Blizzard, they either wont do or they'll do it in a ham fisted "BeInG gAy Is GrEaT oK" kind of way.
    If Anduin and Wrathion became lovers and co-kings here is what will happen :

1. Blizzard will lose China forever

2. Blizzard will sell faction change bulk service to wipe out the remaining alliance players

WoW has always been good at its smaller, location based stories. Its when things are supposed to be big and epic, or we deal with a long-term character, where things usually fall apart. Consistency is a big issue, or characters being absent for things they should have been at. Also anyone from WC3 is generally 'safe', losing all tension.

I think the only expansion that had bad location stores was cataclysm, and thats because it was either just trying to shove the bland twilight cult at us, or indiana jones memes.

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    WoW has always been good at its smaller, location based stories. Its when things are supposed to be big and epic, or we deal with a long-term character, where things usually fall apart. Consistency is a big issue, or characters being absent for things they should have been at. Also anyone from WC3 is generally 'safe', losing all tension.

I think the only expansion that had bad location stores was cataclysm, and thats because it was either just trying to shove the bland twilight cult at us, or indiana jones memes.
    Was that a smaller / location based story? The latter yes, to an extent, but the entire Suramar story was basically 1/3 of Legion (and by far the best part of the entire expansion). It might have been just a zone (which was massive), two dungeons and a raid, but it was excellent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah that's clearly why Baine is here, to sacrifice himself for the Golden Boi's freedom. Instead Wrathion and Anduin will hold a 5 second eulogy for him at their wedding next expansion though, no statue or grave celebrating him just the words "He sizzled, well... done." on a rickety old sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    How would he get there? Everyone that is there with us from Azeorth came here when we did using bolvars helm fragments. From a story standpoint that opening has closed until we reopen it.
    The same way a random granny that appeared in one of the expansion lull/bridging books ended up in Oribos, through the portals that were opened in the capitals that people are coming through to tour Oribos.
    Last edited by Darknessvamp; 2021-10-21 at 07:04 PM.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Was that a smaller / location based story? The latter yes, to an extent, but the entire Suramar story was basically 1/3 of Legion (and by far the best part of the entire expansion). It might have been just a zone (which was massive), two dungeons and a raid, but it was excellent.
    I count it as such. I mean more in contrast to the big picture main plot.

Classic - did it even have a main plot? It made the world of wow what it is though.
    TBC - Fridges a bunch of big chars from WC3 as loot pinatas. Really neat settings and stories though.
    Wrath - LK story itself is pretty thin and dull, mostly riding on WC3 nastalgia, invidiual zone stories really strong and Ulduar is fascinating
    Cata - pretty bad all around. Deathwing and aspects are dry and dumb. Garrosh is cool here but isn't really tied into the whole deathwing thing beyond some small parts. Most good story beats seem to come from the revamped leveling experience than the actual expansion content.
    MoP - Garrosh is the main attraction and is now bad. Lei Shen, a guy who has very little to do with the overall plot, is the boss of the best raid.
    WoD - old Draenor's a really cool place, even if the lore of why we are there and who we are fighting is uninteresting and headache inducing.
    Legion - honestly didn't play it
    BFA - Main plot is horrendous, but all the zones seem really rich in story and character.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    I count it as such. I mean more in contrast to the big picture main plot.

Classic - did it even have a main plot? It made the world of wow what it is though.
    TBC - Fridges a bunch of big chars from WC3 as loot pinatas. Really neat settings and stories though.
    Wrath - LK story itself is pretty thin and dull, mostly riding on WC3 nastalgia, invidiual zone stories really strong and Ulduar is fascinating
    Cata - pretty bad all around. Deathwing and aspects are dry and dumb. Garrosh is cool here but isn't really tied into the whole deathwing thing beyond some small parts. Most good story beats seem to come from the revamped leveling experience than the actual expansion content.
    MoP - Garrosh is the main attraction and is now bad. Lei Shen, a guy who has very little to do with the overall plot, is the boss of the best raid.
    WoD - old Draenor's a really cool place, even if the lore of why we are there and who we are fighting is uninteresting and headache inducing.
    Legion - honestly didn't play it
    BFA - Main plot is horrendous, but all the zones seem really rich in story and character.
    This is the what upsets me the most about BfA. All three zones of both Alliance and Horde had really good visuals, and the individual, "local" stories were quite neat, especially (imo) Drustvar and Nazmir. But the main story was in fact brain damage-inducing, and later down the road, Nazjatar left a lot to be desired as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

This is the what upsets me the most about BfA. All three zones of both Alliance and Horde had really good visuals, and the individual, "local" stories were quite neat, especially (imo) Drustvar and Nazmir. But the main story was in fact brain damage-inducing, and later down the road, Nazjatar left a lot to be desired as well.
    Yeah I came back during the SL prepatch because a friend wanted to try the game out. Levelng through BFA content you'd never understand what everyone's complaining about for BFA's story.

Before I came back, and heard they were making BFA the leveling experience, I was really shocked and worried what it'd do to the game, having heard how bad BFA's plot was. But honestly, its probably some of the best leveling content.

It would make sense so it won't happen. Just like how Wrathion was supposed to be involved with the fight against the legion but it didn't happen.

I don't know, I found 3/6 zones pretty boring. Tiragarde the worst, Stormsong pretty boring and Voldun completely pointless. Drustvar, Nazmir and Zandalar were excellent though. I very much loved the continuitiy from Zandalar to Nazmir. Overall I think the Alliance zones were very, very weak in comparison, but that's personal taste. At launch I played Alliance and didn't like it, 1.5 years later I played the Horde stuff and found it to be way better, especially Zandalar and Nazmir just were great zones.