Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Have Druids always used the power of Ardenweald?

    So, I was just thinking about what Faerie Fire and Faerie Swarm spells are and thought, isn't this Ardenweald magic? I'm talking about these abilities:

    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Faerie_Fire
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Faerie_Swarm

    Their descriptions even indicate that fairies are attacking the enemy. The most interesting thing is that the druids had this ability even in Warcraft 3
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Dru...I)#Faerie_Fire

    Of course, we cannot say that Blizzard was already planning Ardenweald then. They themselves admitted in interviews that Ardenweald was originally a sub-zone of Bastion, but they liked the theme so much that they decided to create a separate Covenant. But nevertheless, when viewed from the point of view of the current lore, do you think these are the forces of Ardenweald? This is the only druid spell that does not have the theme of the Emerald Dream / nature or the moon / sun and is a direct indication of fairies (although once upon a time in the RPG it was mentioned that fairies live in the Emerald Dream) and has a dark blue-purple Ardenweald theme.
    Last edited by darkoms; 2021-10-16 at 07:42 PM.

  2. #2
    Ardenweald magic via the Emerald Dream prob

  3. #3
    As Winter Queen and Elune are sisters, it would be fairly easy to believe that the whole nature/faerie thing is accessible to followers of either.

  4. #4
    Scarab Lord Maljinwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    4,101
    They came up with shadowlands lore a few months ago, so i'd say no. Druids use life
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

  5. #5
    Fearie fire as a druid spell isn't original to WoW or even Warcraft 3... it has it's roots in classic fantasy settings like Dungeons and Dragons.

    Fearies as part of nature folklore predates computer games.

  6. #6
    Moderator Rozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,390
    There are also faeries associated w/ nature/the elements on Azeroth (the sprites), so it's not just an Ardenweald thing. Although that depends on the mythos you know/regional semantics, bc in some cases sprites are a type of fairy and in others not at all. Faerie dragons are also more so associated w/ the Emerald Dream, not Ardenweald (despite the colors/etc). So the fae theme is shared by both, w/ Elune's version being more...bestial?
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    There are also faeries associated w/ nature/the elements on Azeroth (the sprites), so it's not just an Ardenweald thing. Although that depends on the mythos you know/regional semantics, bc in some cases sprites are a type of fairy and in others not at all. Faerie dragons are also more so associated w/ the Emerald Dream, not Ardenweald (despite the colors/etc). So the fae theme is shared by both, w/ Elune's version being more...bestial?
    The sprites do not look like ordinary fairies (I mean, not small flying women like, for example, the fairies of Ardenweald)
    Hmm, you're right, I completely forgot about the fairy dragons. I just thought about it because in one of the interviews Steve Danuser said that druids are not so much life as a balance between life and death and we do not see anything that showed their more deadly side (except the magic of Drust, but they are not druids)
    Last edited by darkoms; 2021-10-17 at 12:54 PM.

  8. #8
    Ardenweald is losely based on the winter court. It stands to reason that Elune's realm is probably based on the summer court.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx Vox View Post
    it's just blatant copy-pasting without any though put into it.
    That's easily 90%+ of WoW's content, class design, and definitely story. Blizz just did it really well at one point.

  10. #10
    Faeries have existed in the lore for a while. They fought against the burning legion during the War of the Ancients. https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Pixie

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonrage View Post
    Faeries have existed in the lore for a while. They fought against the burning legion during the War of the Ancients. https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Pixie
    Yes, I know, and the RPG also mentioned that fairies live in the Emerald Dream. I'm just asking if we can, in terms of the current lore, say that this is Ardenweald magic because of the fairy reference and the blue-purple theme of the spell.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    They came up with shadowlands lore a few months ago, so i'd say no. Druids use life
    That is not true at all lol

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    Yes, I know, and the RPG also mentioned that fairies live in the Emerald Dream. I'm just asking if we can, in terms of the current lore, say that this is Ardenweald magic because of the fairy reference and the blue-purple theme of the spell.
    No. What this establishes is that Faeries exist on both sides, not that the magic comes from Death.

  14. #14
    Over 9000! Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    9,411
    The only druids who apparently derive their powers from Ardenweald are KTs. All the others rely on the Emerald Dream, if only by lack of further evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    It's not really retconning though. There's plenty we didn't know from WC3 - a story which is just about 20 years old. The Jailer is the backbone of that story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    It's interesting how a character that didn't exist back then could be the backbone of the story. Guess that story must have been an invertebrate then.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    The only druids who apparently derive their powers from Ardenweald are KTs. All the others rely on the Emerald Dream, if only by lack of further evidence.
    Who are KTs?

  16. #16
    Over 9000! Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    9,411
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    Who are KTs?
    Kul Tiran druids, ofc.
    Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    It's not really retconning though. There's plenty we didn't know from WC3 - a story which is just about 20 years old. The Jailer is the backbone of that story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    It's interesting how a character that didn't exist back then could be the backbone of the story. Guess that story must have been an invertebrate then.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Kul Tiran druids, ofc.
    Are they derive their powers from Ardenweald ?

  18. #18
    Over 9000! Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    9,411
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    Are they derive their powers from Ardenweald ?
    Well, it's just speculation, but KT druids (aka Thornspeakers) come from Drustvar, a place heavily linked to, well, the Drust, who are featured so notably in Ardenweald. Besides, the 'patriarch' Thornspeaker you meet in Drustvar tells you that their order is related to the decay part of the cycle of life, which is also reflected in their animal forms.

    Additionally, you have the Drust->Vrykul liaison just lurking around, which could somehow extend to the LK... But that is reaching quite a bit, even for speculation purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    It's not really retconning though. There's plenty we didn't know from WC3 - a story which is just about 20 years old. The Jailer is the backbone of that story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    It's interesting how a character that didn't exist back then could be the backbone of the story. Guess that story must have been an invertebrate then.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Well, it's just speculation, but KT druids (aka Thornspeakers) come from Drustvar, a place heavily linked to, well, the Drust, who are featured so notably in Ardenweald. Besides, the 'patriarch' Thornspeaker you meet in Drustvar tells you that their order is related to the decay part of the cycle of life, which is also reflected in their animal forms.

    Additionally, you have the Drust->Vrykul liaison just lurking around, which could somehow extend to the LK... But that is reaching quite a bit, even for speculation purposes.
    Drust and Thornspeakers use different magic and Drust are even associated with the Emerald Nightmare, not the same as Ardenweald

  20. #20
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    36,625
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Kul Tiran druids, ofc.
    If you're referring to the Thornspeakers, those led by Ulfar, there's no real evidence that they draw their power from Ardenweald - they seem to be connected to the Emerald Dream the same as standard Druids, via the blessing of Kul Tiras' own Wild Gods like Athair and Athainne. The Drust themselves, those using the corrupted magic epitomized by Gorak Tul, may actually be tapping into Ardenweald to some degree via their connection to the Shadowlands and Thros - but it's definitely not a direct connection, given that even to invade Ardenweald they had to cross over from Thros (via portals visible in Ardenweald).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." - Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •