Page 28 of 53 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Crew-4 coming back to Earth today. Livestream starts in 1h45m.

- - - Updated - - -

All astronauts have left the capsule. Complete mission success.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Crew-4 coming back to Earth today. Livestream starts in 1h45m.
    I like how at 21:35 there's this guy just pushing a dolly with a big rocket engine on it past the far windows.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    The ship they use to retrieve the capsule is very cool. Nothing revolutionary but designed beautifully to do its job.

- - - Updated - - -

ULA pushed back the maiden flight of Vulcan, likely the next heavy workhorse for the US military, to early 2023. Amazon finally finished the engines for it but I guess Prime doesn't extend to rocket engines so the rocket won't be completely configured until November.

Its going to carrying satellites meant to rival Starlink as well as a lunar landing module. The module is not related to the Artemis but a commercial lunar program that NASA also overseas - a program that is supposed to kick off after SLS/Starship has put people on the Moon.

I hope they don't actually paint it like it is in the mockup...
    Last edited by PACOX; 2022-10-14 at 11:08 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I like how at 21:35 there's this guy just pushing a dolly with a big rocket engine on it past the far windows.
    SpaceX mission control is in a corner of their rocket factory.

SpaceX mission control is in a corner of their rocket factory.
    I know. It's just wonderfully cool.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The ship they use to retrieve the capsule is very cool. Nothing revolutionary but designed beautifully to do its job.

- - - Updated - - -

ULA pushed back the maiden flight of Vulcan, likely the next heavy workhorse for the US military, to early 2023. Amazon finally finished the engines for it but I guess Prime doesn't extend to rocket engines so the rocket won't be completely configured until November.

Its going to carrying satellites meant to rival Starlink as well as a lunar landing module. The module is not related to the Artemis but a commercial lunar program that NASA also overseas - a program that is supposed to kick off after SLS/Starship has put people on the Moon.

I hope they don't actually paint it like it is in the mockup...
    ALL HLS contracts are part of Artemis. Same with CLPS.

- - - Updated - - -
    @cubby farming on asteroids wen

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    @cubby farming on asteroids wen
    Not for decades. We barely have proof of concepts for landing and taking off asteroids. And that one event got a few rocks, maybe. Plus the turnaround time is measure in years.

I would imagine there are three methods for future asteroid mining:

1. Landing device on asteroid, mines it, and then lifts off and returns to base - either Earth or Moon or orbiting platform.
    2. Device landing on asteroid, links up physically, and then "steers" asteroid into a solid orbit.
    3. Landing mission on a larger asteroid, sets up a mining "process", and we send additional craft to transport it back.

But we won't be doing that with anything past "proof of concept" stage for a LONG time. Moon base is probably first, Moon orbiting platform is definitely first. Not that they are mutually exclusive of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    ALL HLS contracts are part of Artemis. Same with CLPS.
    Ah I was thinking of something else and confused it for CLPS.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Not for decades. We barely have proof of concepts for landing and taking off asteroids. And that one event got a few rocks, maybe. Plus the turnaround time is measure in years.

I would imagine there are three methods for future asteroid mining:

1. Landing device on asteroid, mines it, and then lifts off and returns to base - either Earth or Moon or orbiting platform.
    2. Device landing on asteroid, links up physically, and then "steers" asteroid into a solid orbit.
    3. Landing mission on a larger asteroid, sets up a mining "process", and we send additional craft to transport it back.

But we won't be doing that with anything past "proof of concept" stage for a LONG time. Moon base is probably first, Moon orbiting platform is definitely first. Not that they are mutually exclusive of course.
    There's no point in mining carbonaceous condrites for minerals, however since they are made of organic material, they would be good for farming, and there's enough of them to support 30ish billion people for millenia. So I ask again, asteroid farming when

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    There's no point in mining carbonaceous condrites for minerals, however since they are made of organic material, they would be good for farming, and there's enough of them to support 30ish billion people for millenia. So I ask again, asteroid farming when
    If you put forth a larger point, with more details, it would be appreciated. The above doesn't take the form of what would be considered a solid position. I can perhaps guess at what you mean, but if you could add to it, I would be happen to offer my opinion.

5+ Year Old Account
    If you put forth a larger point, with more details, it would be appreciated. The above doesn't take the form of what would be considered a solid position. I can perhaps guess at what you mean, but if you could add to it, I would be happen to offer my opinion.
    There's so many ways to approach it that to further narrow down the topic of literally growing crops on asteroids would be pointless

Asteroid farming wen

- - - Updated - - -

In case you can't tell, I'm asking a question, and not in the middle of making a point

Asteroid farming wen
    Always fun to come across another Texas Tank Watcher.

10+ Year Old Account
    When we thought telescopes couldn't get bigger...

5+ Year Old Account
    Always fun to come across another Texas Tank Watcher.
    Wen Hop????

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    There's so many ways to approach it that to further narrow down the topic of literally growing crops on asteroids would be pointless

Asteroid farming wen

- - - Updated - - -

In case you can't tell, I'm asking a question, and not in the middle of making a point
    Even using the phrase "growing crops" helps, because especially in this particular forum, "farming" could be mining - which is what I thought you meant. Just clarify your question or add more information - it's always a treat trying to figure out what you mean and/or are asking.

5+ Year Old Account
    Even using the phrase "growing crops" helps, because especially in this particular forum, "farming" could be mining - which is what I thought you meant. Just clarify your question or add more information - it's always a treat trying to figure out what you mean and/or are asking.
    So are you going to answer the question?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    So are you going to answer the question?
    Let me say first off that I WANT to answer the question, because I love this space stuff so very much. Imo space is the forward frontier, and while it won't solve our earth based problems, it will certainly offer solutions to others.

However...

I still don't know what your question is - because fundamentally, you seem to feel brevity when in transitions to incoherency is a valid and positive trait. I kid, but seriously, when someone asks you for more information, you might think about adding more facts/info and perhaps a basic website link, in case those reading don't know what you're asking or getting at.

However, since you replied:

Are you asking when we're going to start building farms on asteroids? Or are you asking something else? I wasn't even aware we could grow crops on asteroids, so I'd have to ramp up on that knowledge - which honestly sounds both fascinating and utterly unfeasible for at least the rest of this century (although we did go from first powered flight to landing on the moon in just over 50 years, so who knows).

I thought you were asking about mining asteroids for minerals, which is the only thing I've seen as a goal of the private space industries so far.

5+ Year Old Account

Are you asking when we're going to start building farms on asteroids? .
    Yes. And how would you personally envision them to look like?

- - - Updated - - -

NASA is planning on procuring at least 20 Block1B launches for SLS.
    https://spacenews.com/nasa-outlines-...joint-venture/

NASA is planning on procuring at least 20 Block1B launches for SLS.
    https://spacenews.com/nasa-outlines-...joint-venture/
    How To Keep The Politicians At Bay 101

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm so confused, why were we talking about farming on asteroids?