Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I thought Millennials started to be born around '85 or something?

At any rate, that only reinforces the argument.
    82 technically, so not too far off. Millennial generation got their name because they were the first to come of age and graduate high school in the new millennium.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacia Ultan View Post
    What I've usually heard is 1980. At any rate: using it as shorthand for "kids these days" and/or some oversensitivity caricature is misplaced.
    We're an unstoppable force that has destroyed dozens of industries from plastic utensils to canned tuna. We're no longer "the youth", we're fully in the work force and telling Boomer Frank that his stanky ass tuna and microwaved salmon is driving us to quit the company just to get away from the stench.

Zoomers are "the youth" now. They're gonna be the ones primarily fighting whatever the next foreign war the US gets a defense spending boner for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacia Ultan View Post
    You and me both. (My own aborted attempt at a military career happened just shortly before 9/11. While that's certainly not what I was thinking at the time: in retrospect, I dodged a bullet
    (actually) literally, good lord.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    (actually) literally, good lord.
    Indeed. It went from "well, shit; I get to be a fucked-up terminal E-3 without getting to actually serve, just because I was on the business end of someone else's ethics violations? That's bullshit," to "wow; I came that close to actually getting deployed" in the space of a day.

If you are worried about millennials not wanting to fight you really should be worried about the other side. Thanks to the one child policy each death wipes out a family line and leaves parents and grandparents with no one to look after them in their old age. The Chinese are not going to want their only child dying for Xi's ambitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I thought Millennials started to be born around '85 or something?

At any rate, that only reinforces the argument.
    Different sources will give different dates...but the range usually starts between 79 and 82 and ends in the mid 90's.

But yeah, the general point remains that a whole ton of those "soft millenials" have served in every war of the 21st century. Hell, there are Gen Z soldiers that were in Afghanistan.

Some people really need to stop referring to everyone younger than them as "millenials".

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Some people really need to stop referring to everyone younger than them as "millenials".
    It's not really that to be honest. There are legions of these Proud Boy, MRA, Incel, Info Wars, Qanon Shaman, Jordan "69 Rules for Life" Peterson, Joseph P. "Soy boy" Watson types of millenials who do this whole "our generation is fucked" narratives.

The whole "soft millenials" is more their talking point than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    It's not really that to be honest. There are legions of these Proud Boy, MRA, Incel, Info Wars, Qanon Shaman, Jordan "69 Rules for Life" Peterson, Joseph P. "Soy boy" Watson types of millenials who do this whole "our generation is fucked" narratives.

And as I've stated in other, more specific threads? They spin standing up for oneself as evidence of being "soft," and frame their own complacency and/or self-entitlement as "strength."

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post

Sure, but even outside those circles, there's tons of people that refer to anyone born after 1980 as a millenial.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Conservatives are frothing at the mouth to find anything to bash Biden on, but this is a swing and a miss. George Bush reaffirmed the US defense commitment to defend Taiwan in 2001. That is nothing new, at all. They do play it ambiguously often in order to not upset China, but when China is flying 50+ planes into Taiwan's EEZ, it's worth a reminder.

That said, the defense of a full-out assault on Taiwan would be primarily up to Taiwan to defend just because of logistics and US troops/equipment not being stationed there in-place. The US might help, but that's where there would be some tough decisions.
    Last edited by Biglog; 2021-10-23 at 07:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony Soldier View Post
    Never kept his promise. The exact opposite happened.

Point is what Biden says and does are two COMPLETELY different things.
    Yeah, I guess he underestimated the level of spite the GQP would handle him defeating God Emperor Trump. I doubt he expected that Trump supporters would go around trying to kill as many people as they possible could instead of getting vaccinated and wearing masks just to deny him a 'win'.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    Conservatives are frothing at the mouth to find anything to bash Biden on[...]
    Okay, but, realistically: when has the right, in the past few decades, not been frothing at the mouth for an excuse to bash anyone in a position of real or perceived authority who disagrees with them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Yeah, I guess he underestimated the level of spite the GQP would handle him defeating God Emperor Trump.
    Well the opposite tribe of demonrats still can't get over their defeat even after they won a rematch, why would they be any different? Them both are one nation under God
    Last edited by Yadryonych; 2021-10-23 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Well the opposite tribe of demonrats can still get over their defeat even after they won a rematch, why would they be any different? Them both are one nation under God
    Did I walk in on a Russian Facebook meme bullshit?

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Soldier View Post
    Never kept his promise. The exact opposite happened.

Point is what Biden says and does are two COMPLETELY different things.
    I bet there are people out there hoping that China does attack Taiwan just so they can rag on Biden

7+ Year Old Account
    If Taiwan is attacked of course the USA will be to forced to defend it by taking out Russia.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    just a question: is Taiwan even willing to go to war and to become a battlefield ?

unless you can deter China from invasions it is useless

Taiwan Not Concerned About War With China, Despite Sky-high Tensions

In its first public opinion survey, released on September 29, Taiwan's opposition-run Intelligentsia Taipei found that 50.2 percent of respondents weren't concerned about the possibility of war, compared to 42.5 percent who said they were. A majority 58.8 percent thought conflict with China was unlikely to happen in the next 10 years, but 17.6 percent said it was probable. Only 2.2 percent of those polled were certain of war this decade.

The think tank, which collected 1,074 telephone surveys from Taipei City residents above the age of 20 between September 15 and 17, asked respondents what they would do if war were to break out across the Taiwan Strait. Some 40.2 percent of those polled said they would resist and cooperate with the government—the most popular answer—while 36 percent said they wouldn't resist a Chinese attack.

-----

Seems most either want or simply expect the status quo.