Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Grunt Gilvain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    So there I was...in the Silithus desert...hundreds of miles from civilization...
    Posts
    16

    Turalyon susceptible to the Void?

    In the wake of Turalyon's discovery that Xe'ra was manipulating/influencing his actions (and certainly his zeal) to some degree, is anyone else out there concerned that he may now be more vulnerable or easily swayed by the forces of the Void? Would it really be surprising if his faith and unwavering devotion to the Light had been shaken, even in the slightest way, after the revelation of such a betrayal?



    Should a hypothesized Civil War erupt within the kingdom of Stormwind, driven by aforementioned Void Lord minions, military leader Turalyon would reasonably be one of the most likely candidates for "recruitment" via corruption/madness.

    There are prominent Dreadlords still lurking out there...wouldn't it be wild if one deceived then replaced Turalyon, leading the Alliance into a series of questionable acts? Yes, this is venturing back into "Genn started the Teldrassil fires" territory, which IMO still would have been a more compelling development than "you triggered Sylvannas".

    While I concede that the current writers likely lack the inspiration to create any new story developments that aren't mustache-twirlingly evil, one has to dream and hope for some semblance of depth and story cohesion to reemerge in the world of Azeroth.

    .....

    Just a random thought that I had - that distracted for a moment - between the usual bouts of doom and gloom surrounding the game right now.

  2. #2
    The question is however, with Turalyon being as infused as he is with the Light whether the Void would be able to find purchase within him or whether such a thing would be too chaotic.

    Truly something to consider.
    And what if it's not bait? What if it truly is my own unfiltered dogshit opinion, hm? What then?

  3. #3
    Titan Frozenbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uk - England
    Posts
    13,935
    Didn't he/ Alleria combo style torture some random people to try to get info of the location of Sylvanas?

    Don't think he needs void influence to go evil...

    What's
    with the random bold words btw.

  4. #4
    Stood in the Fire Toxuvox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Behind You!
    Posts
    371
    Interesting Premise!

  5. #5
    Hell h a t h no fu r y like a Turalyon scorned.

  6. #6
    I don't know why we are shouting!

    - - - Updated - - -

    LOUD NOISES!

  7. #7
    Or Turalyon leads in the nigh-inevitable "The light can be evil too!"-expansion.

    Am i doing it right?

  8. #8
    It's kinda fun to read just the bold words in people's post.

    Reminds me of "why say lots word when few words do trick"

  9. #9
    In the wake of Turalyon's discovery that Xe'ra was manipulating/influencing his actions
    Citation needed.

    I'm Game-only (as in I don't read books unless they're comics available for free online) but I don't remember this being mentioned anywhere. In fact Turalyon was greatly shocked by the death of his master, and lashed out at Illidan, trying to kill him; but was overpowered.

    So why exactly are you saying that Turalyon is renouncing Xe'ra and where is this stated? Turalyon was greatly saddened by Xe'ra's death and tried to punish Illidan instantly, and only calmed down once he realized they needed Illidan to fight the Legion.

    Should a hypothesized Civil War erupt within the kingdom of Stormwind, driven by aforementioned Void Lord minions, military leader Turalyon would reasonably be one of the most likely candidates for "recruitment" via corruption/madness.
    There is no civil war. There can be no civil war. Turalyon has the full support of the House of Nobles. The entire aristocracy of the Kingdom of Stormwind is behind him.

    You could say that Turalyon is the Senate

  10. #10
    Well, he's bedding with one (Alleria) no?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Or Turalyon leads in the nigh-inevitable "The light can be evil too!"-expansion.

    Am i doing it right?
    With Bayonetta to the rescue.

  11. #11
    Why exactly are we acting like Turalyon is "susceptible to the Void" when it's explicitly stated he can't even touch Alleria due to her Void corruption?

    Of all the people who are likely to become pawns of the Void, Turalyon is the least likely.

    The most likely would be the Mag'har, since they already have a precedent of an entire clan of lunatics succumbing to the whispers

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Didn't he/ Alleria combo style torture some random people to try to get info of the location of Sylvanas?

    Don't think he needs void influence to go evil...

    What's
    with the random bold words btw.
    Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons and as a last, drastic measure.

    It just so happens that the Horde never does this for good reasons and/or as a last, drastic measure...

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Why exactly are we acting like Turalyon is "susceptible to the Void" when it's explicitly stated he can't even touch Alleria due to her Void corruption?

    Of all the people who are likely to become pawns of the Void, Turalyon is the least likely.

    The most likely would be the Mag'har, since they already have a precedent of an entire clan of lunatics succumbing to the whispers

    - - - Updated - - -



    Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons and as a last, drastic measure.

    It just so happens that the Horde never does this for good reasons and/or as a last, drastic measure...
    Tortutring someone is ALWAYS evil to do since it rarely if ever yields reliable results.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Deianeira View Post
    Tortutring someone is ALWAYS evil to do since it rarely if ever yields reliable results.
    Good thing it yielded reliable results

  14. #14
    Looking at the story so far, there is no indication of Turalyon turning on the Light, and especially no evidence of Turalyon becoming a bad guy.

    Turalyon's reaction after Illidan killed Xe'ra was the opposite of feeling betrayed by the Naaru. It's even more safe to assume that he was aware, or at least had absolutely no issue with Xe'ra converting Illidan by force knowing it would bring victory against the Legion. After 10'000 years of war, as High Exarch of the Grand Army of the Light, you'd assume Xe'ra's action wouldn't phase him that much, especially considering Illidan is a demon himself - the ennemy - and a needed sacrifice to win this cosmic war. Don't forget that for Turalyon, the Light is not just magic, it's his religion. He was a priest before even taking up a sword to fight against the orcs. He's very religious.

    Also, again, looking at the story, we only saw Turalyon being an extremist in his use of the Light compared to more traditional paladins like Tirion or Uther. It would make sense he would evolve that way after being in direct contact with the Naaru for so long and witness the power of the Light in a higher form of war across the cosmos. But him being extreme in his ways doesn't make him a defacto bad guy in the story. We had plenty of characters being pushed to the extreme but still good guys. Jaina comes to mind, with her going insane and wanting to destroy Orgrimmar with a tsunami after the bombing of Theramore. Even Bolvar is an ally after having used necromancy to forcefully raise new Horsemen. We also need to remember that the Light is still a very strong and present religion on Azeorth, especially in the Eastern Kingdoms. Most humans, dwarves, draenei and worgens believe in the Light as a religion, with churches and shrines all over Azeroth. I don't think the people of the Alliance would ever easily turn their back on a war hero, a parangon of the Light, a founder of the Alliance and the Silver Hand. He's a literal living legend for many people. I don't even think his relationship with Alleria could tarnish his image in the eyes of many. I also personally think that having such a character with extremist views and usage of the Light is a nice addition to the Alliance to give it some edge and a darker side while remaining faithful to its values.

  15. #15
    Yep, Turalyon is an "extremist" only compared to paladins like Tirion and Uther who are boy scouts.

    He's nothing compared to Yrel. Yrel forcefully converts anyone she gets her hands on, while Turalyon put aside his differences to work with Illidan. Nothing about him is """"extreme"""".

    For all the talk about Turalyon being a "Light Nazi", I've yet to see the Lightforged take control of anyone. They didn't even do anything during the Faction war aside from fighting some people in Stromgarde and Drustvar. Meanwhile Yrel and the Lightbound (AU Lightforged) are systematically indoctrinating and conquering all of Draenor.

    The only event that could have pushed Turalyon to the extreme was the destruction of his master and God, but we see that in the end he maintained his composure and didn't let his personal feelings get in the way of the job.

  16. #16
    Legendary! Zuben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    6,573
    Could be, but I more expect him to sub to the Light-fanatics when they become a pressing issue.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Deianeira View Post
    Tortutring someone is ALWAYS evil to do since it rarely if ever yields reliable results.
    Eh, that's a political slogan on a good day. Morality aside, unless you have extensive training and are mentally strong... you will squeal under torture. Unless the instructions have changed over the years (been a long time since I was in the SERE program on the military side of things), there are ways to lie about things, but you still have to be extremely careful. Furthermore, you have to do this knowing that if your lie is caught, you're going to be for a world of hurt. Even the more tame forms of non-life threatening torture can be fairly effective, as I've seen people crack under training sessions when subjected to such methods in a safe, training environment. Imagine going out into areas where the Geneva Convention gets laughed at by your enemies, knowing full well that they don't care about it... the mental pressure from the situation alone is enough to break people, let alone what could be done to them. If there is a failure rate associated with torture, it's due to the targets knowing that they're safe and nothing bad will happen to them (i.e. if they're captured by Geneva Convention abiding areas and/or the local government is very anti-torture). Regardless, the point is torture works regardless of the morality of the situation, otherwise it wouldn't be done for information extraction purposes.

    That being said, Turalyon has definitely shown signs that he's heavily influenced by the Light and will put serving the Light above the Alliance... or rather he would make sure that they align by potentially dubious methods for his sense of 'justice' in the matter. What I really hate is that most of the lore and context about Tyralyon and how he will potentially act in the future is all in the bloody novels. It should all be in the game.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    For all the talk about Turalyon being a "Light Nazi", I've yet to see the Lightforged take control of anyone. They didn't even do anything during the Faction war aside from fighting some people in Stromgarde and Drustvar. Meanwhile Yrel and the Lightbound (AU Lightforged) are systematically indoctrinating and conquering all of Draenor.

    The only event that could have pushed Turalyon to the extreme was the destruction of his master and God, but we see that in the end he maintained his composure and didn't let his personal feelings get in the way of the job.
    That's what I really hate about the lore being in novels, as it gives way more context behind what's going on compared to the game. If we go by the game only, he's way more benign than what's portrayed in the novels.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Eh, that's a political slogan on a good day. Morality aside, unless you have extensive training and are mentally strong... you will squeal under torture. Unless the instructions have changed over the years (been a long time since I was in the SERE program on the military side of things), there are ways to lie about things, but you still have to be extremely careful. Furthermore, you have to do this knowing that if your lie is caught, you're going to be for a world of hurt. Even the more tame forms of non-life threatening torture can be fairly effective, as I've seen people crack under training sessions when subjected to such methods in a safe, training environment. Imagine going out into areas where the Geneva Convention gets laughed at by your enemies, knowing full well that they don't care about it... the mental pressure from the situation alone is enough to break people, let alone what could be done to them. If there is a failure rate associated with torture, it's due to the targets knowing that they're safe and nothing bad will happen to them (i.e. if they're captured by Geneva Convention abiding areas and/or the local government is very anti-torture). Regardless, the point is torture works regardless of the morality of the situation, otherwise it wouldn't be done for information extraction purposes.

    That being said, Turalyon has definitely shown signs that he's heavily influenced by the Light and will put serving the Light above the Alliance... or rather he would make sure that they align by potentially dubious methods for his sense of 'justice' in the matter. What I really hate is that most of the lore and context about Tyralyon and how he will potentially act in the future is all in the bloody novels. It should all be in the game.

    - - - Updated - - -



    That's what I really hate about the lore being in novels, as it gives way more context behind what's going on compared to the game. If we go by the game only, he's way more benign than what's portrayed in the novels.
    And how is he portrayed in the novel? Don't tell me he's """"evil"""" just because he tortured 2 people, because otherwise most of Azeroth is evil.

    Jaina, who is seen by Blizzard as one of the main good guys and major protagonists, allowed her troops to literally feed the Sunreavers to sharks during the Purge of Dalaran.

    It must also be noted that Alleria and Turalyon resorted to torture only after the subject proved uncooperative for an entire hour and spat on their face. Then stopped immediately once they got their answer. And we know for a fact that Alleria found no joy in it, it was a necessary and drastic measure to get the job done.

  19. #19
    Bloodsail Admiral Cloudmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Celestial Planetarium
    Posts
    1,138
    I doubt he would fall to the void especially having prophet Velen in Stormwind at his side.
    #SaveAlgalon
    #SaveConstellars

    Stop with this narrative of killing and corrupting my beloved celestial brothers or I will call NASA!

  20. #20
    Just gonna say it right now...

    If the Light and Shadow plot is either put into 1 expac, or is the premise of the next 2 expacs, don't say I didn't tell y'all so. :/

    - - - Updated - - -

    For all we know, 10.0 could be bout Life and everyone will be pissed off at it, but whatever. I'm of the idea 9.2 will end Life's MAIN plot in this Cosmic War regardless.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •