Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Y'all are forgetting the obvious pun.

Cole vs Ashe. Rofl.
    Imagine their couple nickname, "AsheCole". Like someone with a speech impairment trying to swear.

Trim it down from the middle as is the trend and you get the real thing.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I never whined about anything. And it's "whining."
    Definition of Whinge
    intransitive verb

British
    : to complain fretfully : WHINE

To quote the Hound: Your lips are moving and you're complaining about something. That's whinging.

I never said it impacted how i play the game.
    Then... why do you care?

No evidence? Youre the one that said that was why.
    I never claimed that "people who complain about the Cosby Room don't play Overwatch", dude. Get your arguments straight. Rofl.

How would the name of a video game character contribute to a toxic work environment?
    Didn't say it does, I am pointing out why this hits closer to home with the current developers than naming him after a long dead bank robber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    robbing trains is cool AF and even people back then knew this.
    yeah it is, and I don't mind it

but we need to get our priorities sorted out here

do we want to signal to people that making comments about a guy in your company being too flirty with women is not ok, but being a criminal is ok? guess makes sense with all those george floyd statues everywhere

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    Imagine their couple nickname, "AsheCole". Like someone with a speech impairment trying to swear.

Trim it down from the middle as is the trend and you get the real thing.
    "Cashe" will probably be the ship name, I figure.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Oh, this is awfully glorious.

The resident inquisitor spent days on end on the main controversy thread arguing about the importance of aesthetic representation and how it fuels toxic cultures, and in the space of a couple of posts, we are told that:

- Being upset over cosmetic changes is ridiculous
    - That these changes are essentially "preaching to the choir"
    - And that context matters to the arguments being made.
    Screenshot it for future reference.

"Cashe" will probably be the ship name, I figure.
    That's the winner.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by white snickers View Post
    yeah it is, and I don't mind it

but we need to get our priorities sorted out here

do we want to signal to people that making comments about a guy in your company being too flirty with women is not ok, but being a criminal is ok? guess makes sense with all those george floyd statues everywhere
    yes? like, being a criminal who robs rich people is something to aspire to.

if you believed that, you'd be doing it

if you believed that, you'd be doing it
    right now? huh? okay officer, I'll be at the Citibank on so and so date and I will be wearing the cowboy outfit.

Definition of Whinge
    intransitive verb

British
    : to complain fretfully : WHINE

To quote the Hound: Your lips are moving and you're complaining about something. That's whinging.

Then... why do you care?

I never claimed that "people who complain about the Cosby Room don't play Overwatch", dude. Get your arguments straight. Rofl.

Didn't say it does, I am pointing out why this hits closer to home with the current developers than naming him after a long dead bank robber.
    I'm not complaining either. More projection.

Then why do i care? Because people like you want to whitewash stuff.

You saw the Forbes article right? They don't play overwatch. Check Kotaku, too, they complain about video games and no one there plays them.

Yeah, the devil and Hitler don't hit close to Christians and Jews at all. Ffs.

Alright, someone explain this to me.

This Jesse McCree guy, the worst he has done is apparently to be in that cosby picture and in some chat where they were joking about Alex wanting to have his way with Kozak's wife.

Cole Cassidy most certainly is a reference to Butch Cassidy, who was a train and bank robber, a leader of a criminal gang, probably having killed people, or at least involved with people, who have killed.

Why is it ok to honor this man, by naming the character after him?

Which one of the two has done the most moral wrong?
    Or, which one was named after a black mark on the company. Someone who they fired and no longer want a character in the game referencing. Because that's the point. Sure, they could've picked a more heroic person, but you're probably not focused on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    The funny thing is that the people complaining that "Butch Cassidy was a murderer and a thief" don't actually give a shit about characters in their media being named after bad people.

It's literally grasping at straws to try and rationalize being butthurt that a group they dislike is (apparently) being catered to, that's all. And what is rationalization, after all, but an attempt to make our feelings contagious?

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Yes, and?
    You cared.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    Or, which one was named after a black mark on the company. Someone who they fired and no longer want a character in the game referencing. Because that's the point. Sure, they could've picked a more heroic person, but you're probably not focused on that.
    as I pointed out earlier Cassidy is the name of a famous outlaw and wouldn't you know it. Cole was at one point an outlaw, so.... it makes total sense to go with that for the cowboy character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I'm not complaining either.
    You've spent the past few pages manifestly outraged and lashing out at minorities for no reason, so...

Then why do i care? Because people like you want to whitewash stuff.
    But you've already admitted that it doesn't actually impact your enjoyment of the game.

So again, I ask... Why do you care?

You saw the Forbes article right? They don't play overwatch.
    I wasn't aware one person authoring an opinion piece on Forbes constitutes everyone who's upset about the Cosby Suite.

Yeah, the devil and Hitler don't hit close to Christians and Jews at all. Ffs.
    You do realise there's a big difference in how those things are framed in said media versus how Jesse McCree is framed, right?

Probably not.

The funny thing is that the people complaining that "Butch Cassidy was a murderer and a thief" don't actually give a shit about characters in their media being named after bad people.

It's literally grasping at straws to try and rationalize being butthurt that a group they dislike is (apparently) being catered to, that's all. And what is rationalization, after all, but an attempt to make our feelings contagious?
    the group being catered to in this instance is.... not sex pests...

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    how was he a black mark? as opposed to a literal criminal

they're still honoring a criminal with the new character name, how is that ok?

Jesus Christ dude do you do this for every character named after someone infamous?

10+ Year Old Account
    the group being catered to in this instance is.... not sex pests...
    It's funny how they can't substantiate their position about these cosmetic changes without launching into a tirade that reveals highly reactionary social and political beliefs.

If it were not for the context in which these changes were taking place, they probably wouldn't care. I suspect people facing consequences for saying disgusting things in a group chat or helping contribute to a toxic work environment hits a little too close to home. It's not that there's nothing wrong with it, to them, it's that they psychologically have to tell themselves that it isn't wrong or else that would force them to reevaluate their behavior and complicity. Cognitive dissonance at its finest.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-10-22 at 10:19 PM.

If you can't see why, then I have no reason to think you even care about the reference to Butch and thus you're just complaining about McCree being renamed.