Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

FPS halved on ONE character only

Hey all.
    Just trying to trouble shoot an interesting, possibly unique, and very frustrating issue.
    One of my alts on wow is having a frame rate issue. All of my other characters are fine.
    I typically play at 1440p with all settings on max and enjoy 100+ fps all the time.

However, when I log on my mage, FPS drops to the 50-60s. To test things, I disabled all my mods,
    ran a scan/repair tool on the launcher, stood all my alts in the exact same area and logged them all on.
    Every single character hits 130-140fps, except for the mage. I even tried changing transmog. I've triple
    checked video settings across my alts, everything is identical. Also tried updating to the latest Nvidia drivers.
    Out of frustration, I swapped out video cards too. Still having the issue that is only on the mage...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find much info about frame drops on only one character.

PC Specs.
    8700k @ 5.1ghz
    16gb DDR3200 14-14-14-34-1T
    Samsung 980 1tb x 2
    Nvidia 3090 FE

All drivers up-to-date

Mages don't deserve 120 fps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Mages don't deserve 120 fps.
    I love the snark, truly.

Do you have another machine for testing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Do you have another machine for testing?
    I did test it out on a laptop. The character in question seemed to be running closer to the FPS of all my other characters.
    So it must just be on my desktop, ugh. Some weird bug perhaps? Guess I could try reinstalling the game.

Luckily reinstalls are much quicker these days. I know you said mods are disabled but they can be pesky sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    I did test it out on a laptop. The character in question seemed to be running closer to the FPS of all my other characters.
    So it must just be on my desktop, ugh. Some weird bug perhaps? Guess I could try reinstalling the game.
    Could be a specific addon or w/a strings that are only running on that toon?

I know that HEkili addon had some weird bug with mages that halves fps. It can be that if you are using.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    I know that HEkili addon had some weird bug with mages that halves fps. It can be that if you are using.
    I'm not running any mage specific addon, in fact, all of my addons are used by all of my characters. But thanks for the idea

I'm not running any mage specific addon, in fact, all of my addons are used by all of my characters. But thanks for the idea
    Out of curiosity, do you want to list all the addons you're using?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentail View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you want to list all the addons you're using?
    Bartender4
    Quartz
    TipTac
    Clique
    DBM
    Decursive
    Plexus
    TomTom

Bartender4
    Quartz
    TipTac
    Clique
    DBM
    Decursive
    Plexus
    TomTom
    I don't think any of those would cause any FPS drop, even if you did wild settings for them. If you've tried disabling all addons on your mage and still had the FPS drop on that character, then I got no clue.

Try changing the features of the mage like hairstyles tattoos or genderflip it. It could be a model spesific thing. Whats the race of the mage?

try these things:

- erase WTF and Cache folder. some things are saved characterspecific (via char name) there.
    - remove all items from your char, so he is naked. (maybe not „a“ tmog is the problem but „the“ existence of tmog at all).
    - remove all buffs the mage have and check if he has some special buff from an item etc. (like HoA in BfA)
    - move mage to the same location of another character (which has not the same issue)
    - reset interface settings to default
    - check if you have another char (or make a lvl 1 char and compare his fps) with same race and style (hair, tattoos, etc)

maybe it has something to do with an item, or the location where your mage is, or specific race/hair/tattoo, etc and you not see directly the connection between your error and your mage per se. so, above tips are worth a try. imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deneios View Post
    Try changing the features of the mage like hairstyles tattoos or genderflip it. It could be a model spesific thing. Whats the race of the mage?
    thought the same. must have nothing to do with the mage per se. can be the location, the mage is in. or the race of the mage. etc

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    even when addons are disabled, there is settings and data stuff in WTF folder (as a sub folder with the mages charname). so i would disable all addons and delete the WTF and Cache folder.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2021-10-26 at 04:44 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I had a similar problem once and it was like yours only a specific character of mine. What I had to do was delete the character profile folder in the WTF folder. Just navigate to account/accountname/servername and delete the entire folder with that characters name.

Lags and FPS drops are usually caused by broken addons. Having problem with just one character - is major indicator, cuz it can have something like broken addon settings or something like that. First you can try to update them via something like WowUp. If it won't help - backup your Interface and WTF folders and completely delete them along with Cache one.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post

Even rolled back and forth NVIDIA drivers with no change. Finishing the chapter was the only thing that helped.
    Oh wow, yeah this character is actually on the chapters 3&4 of that covenant, i'll finish those quests and see how that goes.
    If it's a fix, what a wild and crazy bug. A quest causing lag.. nuts!

The real question here is, whether it's a fire mage which could overheat your system, causing it to be clocked down.

Oh wow, yeah this character is actually on the chapters 3&4 of that covenant, i'll finish those quests and see how that goes.
    If it's a fix, what a wild and crazy bug. A quest causing lag.. nuts!
    I had a similar bug on my DH when i was early in the Venthyr campaign, when youre questing around halls of atonement

[Rothulivic] [Twitch] [Twitter] Signature by Serryn

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, okay problem solved. It was indeed having chapters 4 in the Venthyr quests sitting in my mage's log. Soon as I finished those quests, frame rate returned to normal.
    What a wild ride. Thanks everyone for the input though! =)