Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by dDic View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. Of course they have a right to change the name to whatever they want. It's their character. George Lucas had a right to add CGI and new music to the old Star Wars movies. Doesn't mean I don't have an attachment to the old movies or the old name in Overwatch.

    Stop white-knighting for Blizzard. If I just didn't care about changing the name, why would I comment, idiot?
    I'm not white-knighting for Blizzard. I'm defending the victims of abuse from being mocked and shat on by morons who think their personal preferences are more important than the experiences of abuse victims.

    Ironically, defending them from some of the same people who were so very outraged at Blizzard when all this news broke, when it was a convenient way to hate on the company. It's really weird how so many people suddenly don't care what the victims think. You'd be forgiven for thinking some people were only using the harassment news as a cover for them simply not liking the game design.

    As to your original question, I can't see why they would stop a player from naming their own character or battle.net account name McCree, so go ahead and do it if it means that much to you.

  2. #42
    The Insane Ielenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    16,721
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    but seriously, he is proven guilty...
    When did the court verdict come out?

    i love how you even say "regardless of evidence"
    since ya know... there is TONS of evidence.
    I was speaking in a general sense when I spoke about mob mentality, not this particular case. Any case in which the so-called "court of public opinions" condemned someone regardless of evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons and as a last, drastic measure.
    Oof...

  3. #43
    Elemental Lord Kathranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    8,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    When did the court verdict come out?


    I was speaking in a general sense when I spoke about mob mentality, not this particular case. Any case in which the so-called "court of public opinions" condemned someone regardless of evidence.
    Whether he's guilty or not, is it not well within Blizzard's rights to stop associating the character with him by renaming the character?

    It's a fictional character. You don't need to defend him from some sort of perceived persecution.

  4. #44
    I’m offended of Cole. I hate coleslaw.

    On a more serious note, I’m sure this is going to go down well by some of the Overwatch players that were abused or bullied by a Cole or Cassidy, because I’m sure there’s a few out there that have been.

    Instead of name changing everything, and pretending that will make a difference maybe they should focus on making their company more inclusive.
    Last edited by muto; 2021-10-23 at 06:32 AM.

  5. #45
    Brewmaster Barendon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Stormwind
    Posts
    1,485
    For all we knew, McCree's only guilt was having his picture taken on the cosby suite, and acting juvenile on a group chat with afrasiabi. No one reportedly claimed he sexually harassed them, he is completely out of the law suit description. He was just shown in a Kotaku article, and blizzars in my opinion most likely fired him and everyone associated in that article for having been mentioned. So, I figured a solution.. let's just change Jesse's name to Cole Cassidy and keep the character's name as Jesse mcCree.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    I wonder if Blizzard knows how dangerous Googling Cole Cassidy is ? ... because Cassidy Cole is a female porn actress.

    This name doesn't seem well thought out.
    Yeah, I feels rather rushed. I also think that it just doesn't flow as well as the single word name McCree did. I mean the reference is clear, they wanted to go for someone like butch cassidy because gunslinger. The porn actress is already not the first search result for me, though sucks to be her and having her name supplanted by the hackwriters at Blizzard.
    #1) MMO-C should be glad that the British Empire is no more, because they'd want a piece of all the copium trade here.
    #2) Angry players come to the forums to complain about the game... but what loser only comes to the forums to complain about the forums and its users?
    #3)Felating Blizzard too eagerly may lead to oxygen deficiency and worst case asphyxiation. Long-term effects range from delusions up to cerebral necrosis. #4) The WoW playerbase doesn't deserve housing.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    i'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or trying to troll me, i'm fully aware of how big of a shithole the USA is, and how there's dozens of better places in the world to live by comparison.
    Neither, there aren't many places in the world where I'd say it's probably nicer there lol. If you like'em cool, but me nah.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mask View Post
    I think it's VERY unfair to jump to conclusions and lump McCree in with the people who were doing inappropriate things when nothing has come out about him personally.
    Cancel first ask questions later, 2021 internet justice.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    Cancel first ask questions later, 2021 internet justice.
    Cancel first, don't ask questions; is more apt i think.

  9. #49
    The Insane Ielenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    16,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Whether he's guilty or not, is it not well within Blizzard's rights to stop associating the character with him by renaming the character?
    That is not what I was replying to, though. This is about the claim of "promoting sex offenders" that started with this post.

    It's a fictional character. You don't need to defend him from some sort of perceived persecution.
    Except absolutely no one is doing that? No one is "defending Jesse McCree, the Overwatch game's character, from being persecuted" as you just claimed. Some postters simply said they will continue referring to the character as "McCree" because that is how they knew said character for roughly half a decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons and as a last, drastic measure.
    Oof...

  10. #50
    Gonna change my tag to DoffenMcCree.

  11. #51
    So are they going to go back and re-dub the cinematics, too?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Not for nothing I wonder if there are actually just normies named McCree who loved that this character had the same name as them.

  12. #52
    Legendary! Ealyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Switzerland, Geneva
    Posts
    6,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    "Innocent until proven guilty", you know?

    Or do you subscribe to this mob mentality that states "if you're accused of anything, it means you're guilty, regardless of evidence"?
    Oh that's cute. Would be even cutter if you actually understood what you said... Let's play shall we.

    The meaning of the phrase isn't only true in a court of justice, crazy right ? As a society we have rules, social rules, that one may not want to cross even if not strictly illegal.
    Say you go every day to work and insult your co-workers a few times a day, every single day. You are in fact guilty of being a douche and will most likely be fired for it or at least reprimanded. You won't be judged by a court, yet you are guilty. We are always constantly judged by the society for our actions, that's how we can live together. Not everything is judged in a court.

    Was the behavior of the "real McCree" problematic ? Yes.
    Was that behavior enough for his termination at the company he worked ? Yes.
    Was that behavior enough to be actionable in justice ? That's yet to see.

    You aren't free of consequences of your acts just because you aren't able to be sued for them... Just like you aren't free of consequences of what you say just because the state won't charge you for shit you say.

    Your defense is as weak as the "MuH FrUdOm Of Sp3EcH" stupidity for defending racists, homophobic and any other smooth brains who are afraid of change.
    But I guess you definition of presumption of innocence is always limited to the perpetrator and never the victims, who clearly must have been lying, wore inappropriate clothing, "had drugs on them" or acted "suspicious" am I right ?
    Yes McCree is innocent in the face of justice until proven guilty, his freedom is still guaranteed and if it comes to it he will have a fair trial and that's absolutely what should be. Doesn't mean that accountability for severe misconducts has to be thrown away.

    And if Blizzard want to remove the name of a douchebag, even if not criminally so, that's fine with me. Nobody here is asking to jail the guy for life. We are just agreeing with the removal of a name he don't deserve to have in a game anymore.
    Last edited by Ealyssa; 2021-10-23 at 04:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    nazi is not the abbreviation of national socialism....
    When googling 4 letters is asking too much fact-checking.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    Oh that's cute. Would be even cutter if you actually understood what you said... Let's play shall we.

    The meaning of the phrase isn't only true in a court of justice, crazy right ? As a society we have rules, social rules, that one may not want to cross even if not strictly illegal.
    Say you go every day to work and insult your co-workers a few times a day, every single day. You are in fact guilty of being a douche and will most likely be fired for it or at least reprimanded. You won't be judged by a court, yet you are guilty. We are always constantly judged by the society for our actions, that's how we can live together. Not everything is judged in a court.

    Was the behavior of the "real McCree" problematic ? Yes.
    Was that behavior enough for his termination at the company he worked ? Yes.
    Was that behavior enough to be actionable in justice ? That's yet to see.

    You aren't free of consequences of your acts just because you aren't able to be sued for them... Just like you aren't free of consequences of what you say just because the state won't charge you for shit you say.

    Your defense is as weak as the "MuH FrUdOm Of Sp3EcH" stupidity for defending racists, homophobic and any other smooth brains who are afraid of change.
    But I guess you definition of presumption of innocence is always limited to the perpetrator and never the victims, who clearly must have been lying, wore inappropriate clothing, "had drugs on them" or acted "suspicious" am I right ?
    Yes McCree is innocent in the face of justice until proven guilty, his freedom is still guaranteed and if it comes to it he will have a fair trial and that's absolutely what should be. Doesn't mean that accountability for severe misconducts has to be thrown away.
    And if Blizzard want to remove the name of a douchebag, even if not criminally so, that's fine with me.
    Might be time to go outside and touch some grass. Too much Internet and Roids, mayhaps?

    On topic: I welcome all the new McCree variants to the BattleTags. Be ungovernable, my frends.

  14. #54
    Cole Cassidy? it's kinda meh. couldn't they at least found a more "westerner name"

    btw isn't Cassidy Cole a porn actress?
    Last edited by Miross; 2021-10-23 at 06:25 PM.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    When did the court verdict come out?
    I was speaking in a general sense when I spoke about mob mentality, not this particular case. Any case in which the so-called "court of public opinions" condemned someone regardless of evidence.
    There's plenty of evidence pointing to the guy being scum. When even his fellow coworkers refused to vouch for him, and distanced from him (Like Metzen did), there's obviously something wrong.

    Whether or not you want to demand "Innocent until proven guilty!", there's definitely enough in this situation to draw some conclusion from.

    And you say that as if the Johnny Depp case didn't just happen recently. Where he was accused of pretty horrible things and yet he still had his fair share of defenders saying how he was abused horribly.

  16. #56
    Mechagnome Indigenously Abled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Reservation (Thanks White People)
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    There's plenty of evidence pointing to the guy being scum. When even his fellow coworkers refused to vouch for him, and distanced from him (Like Metzen did), there's obviously something wrong.
    Roaches tend to scatter when the lights come on. Metzen/Street for example had entirely new careers, and stood to gain nothing from supporting McCree. This kind of shit is career poison, even by association.

    Whether or not you want to demand "Innocent until proven guilty!", there's definitely enough in this situation to draw some conclusion from. And you say that as if the Johnny Depp case didn't just happen recently. Where he was accused of pretty horrible things and yet he still had his fair share of defenders saying how he was abused horribly.
    There are defenders for all manner of criminals, convicted or not and irrespective of evidence. The Depp case isn't the most apt comparison, since Heard is on tape admitting to her own abusive behavior in the relationship.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem, it supports your inability to support your argument.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Wheelchair Casino View Post
    Roaches tend to scatter when the lights come on. Metzen/Street for example had entirely new careers, and stood to gain nothing from supporting McCree. This kind of shit is career poison, even by association.
    There's more to it than that though, because even voicing anything about it draws attention to yourself. Staying silent would be an option too, unless of course, it's to the point that you have to publicly condemn the behavior because it's reaching levels of undeniability.

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Wheelchair Casino View Post
    There are defenders for all manner of criminals, convicted or not and irrespective of evidence. The Depp case isn't the most apt comparison, since Heard is on tape admitting to her own abusive behavior in the relationship.
    Except that's exactly my point. No doubt that there are mob mentalities, but it's not all too uncommon that there's a basis as to why the mob formed. In Depp's case, it's because it wasn't a knee jerk reaction and people looked into it a bit first. This being a situation of similar nature. People looked into it first.

  18. #58
    Mechagnome Indigenously Abled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Reservation (Thanks White People)
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    There's more to it than that though, because even voicing anything about it draws attention to yourself. Staying silent would be an option too, unless of course, it's to the point that you have to publicly condemn the behavior because it's reaching levels of undeniability.
    They both publicly condemned the behavior through statements posted to Twitter, though without specifically naming anyone involved, with Street going a step further to give his account of the "Cosby Suite" which, given that he's still employed at Riot, didn't harm his career. McCree is almost certainly NDA bound, and likely took a buyout to save face for himself and ActivisionBlizzard. News outlets frame him as having been 'terminated' or 'fired' but the only official statement to the effect is that he no longer works for the company.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem, it supports your inability to support your argument.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    Oh that's cute. Would be even cutter if you actually understood what you said... Let's play shall we.

    The meaning of the phrase isn't only true in a court of justice, crazy right ? As a society we have rules, social rules, that one may not want to cross even if not strictly illegal.
    Say you go every day to work and insult your co-workers a few times a day, every single day. You are in fact guilty of being a douche and will most likely be fired for it or at least reprimanded. You won't be judged by a court, yet you are guilty.

    The idea that any consequence is fine as long as they aren't put in jail is just as laughable as the right wing idiots you are trying to scold.

    If someone gets accused of something and loses their livelihood and their kid's health insurance, is that fine? I mean, they weren't punished in a court of law!

    This guy might have been (probably was) a creep, so I'm not defending him personally. But the left's total abandonment of free speech principles and innocent until proven guilty ideals is going to destroy us. There's no version of a liberal society without these values. Y'all should read more Chomsky and less Twitter.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

  20. #60
    Mechagnome Indigenously Abled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Reservation (Thanks White People)
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    The idea that any consequence is fine as long as they aren't put in jail is just as laughable as the right wing idiots you are trying to scold.

    If someone gets accused of something and loses their livelihood and their kid's health insurance, is that fine? I mean, they weren't punished in a court of law!

    This guy might have been (probably was) a creep, so I'm not defending him personally. But the left's total abandonment of free speech principles and innocent until proven guilty ideals is going to destroy us. There's no version of a liberal society without these values. Y'all should read more Chomsky and less Twitter.
    "But that never happens, you're being hyperbolic, if you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't fear consequence."

    ...is what they say.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem, it supports your inability to support your argument.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •