Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    It seemed to be getting a couple of months ago, like saw some 3080ti's go from £1700 to around £1300 , but they are all sound out again now >.<
    Got my 3080Ti for around $2200. Will last 3-4 years and they aren't going to be cheaper anytime soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not gonna go back to "normal" as long as cryptomining remains legal and profitable.

Just pray other coins are not as profitable as eth when you cant mine eth using gpus anymore in january

Fuck all scalpers and cryptominers. Absolute plague, the lot of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    Thanks to people like this poster they likely will not drop in the foreseeable future.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

For once I'm quite thankful I managed to acquire a GPU very close to launch.

Retailers around here don't accept preorders for tech products like GPUs, PS5s etc, but I managed to place an order for a 3080 in the initial launch chaos that got backlogged, but I nevertheless received it by the time Shadowlands launched.

I could probably sell it for twice what I bought it for at this point, but that'd leave me without a GPU for a very long time.

I don't expect supply to catch up to demand for at least another year, probably longer still.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    I know its probably a discussion for US citizens and MSRP, but here, 3060 and 3060 Ti have actually "okay" prices xD.

A 1660 Super costs 550e, a 3060 can be found from 599 , and a 3060 Ti can be found from 699..Its weird.
    Where is here?

I'm sad to say i think its going to be the new norm. I actually did some quick math a few days back. For my country (Croatia) 3070Ti is 1173e... The same card on evga site is 610e, i managed to find a plane ticket to New York for about 600e, its a few euro cheaper to fly to the states and buy a card if you can snag it at that price... The prices in the EU are overblown and we just keep payin it. My current gtx 980 was brought here from the US and it cost about 650$ seven years or so ago.
    Last edited by Chaotic1962; 2021-10-27 at 04:42 PM.

Eh, probably in about 2023. Semi conductor shortage is supposed to end next year, but there's likely a hell of a backlog to get through before it returns to whatever "normal" was.

Miners and scalpers certainly haven't helped the situation, but we're talking entire car plants shutting down because they can't get the chips to put in cars. The whole thing is mental.

If these gpu prices become the market standard, then I'm sorry but this will be a major hit on PC gaming and will likely turn people away from it.

Why bother trying to buy an absurdly expensive GPU, when you could just buy a PS5 and Xbox Series X for like $500 and still get a very good gaming performance, have games optimized for your system, while having much easier maintenance work. Now I am well aware that these consoles are scalped too, but even this scalped consoles are better value than scalped GPUs.

If you live near a Microcenter, they do a daily lottery which can help you get a card at a reasonable cost. Otherwise, I suggest signing up for EVGA's queue system.

All that being said, a 1070ti is still a very capable card, and the only reason I would upgrade is if you're playing at 1440p or higher resolutions.

I am one of those dirty miners, but I have only bought cards from the EVGA queue(three), and four from Microcenter. Two of which I bought for friends who are in similar situations as you and other folks. But I only invested a few k into it, and it already paid for itself within 4 months, which is crazy to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you’re using a script, bot or wait outside bestbuy for a drop, you’re not getting one. Too many greedy scalpers and miners out there that have endless demand.

Really the only things dictating how long this’ll last is semiconductor production and ETH moving from PoW to PoS. What a lot of the speculations are suggesting is that all the hash power (people mining) moving away from ETH will raise the difficulty of alt coins such as raven and ergo. This’ll cause profits in those coins to plummet and make it so miners barely profit if at all.

There’s more and more people getting into mining every day because who doesn’t want passive income? This in turn enables scalpers who continue to buy uo scarce stock and resell mostly to miners. Anyone who gets over there head financially when ETH 2.0 releases is going to feel sorry.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic1962 View Post
    Where is here?
    Greece.

We have our own extra tax so those prices are actually semi-normal, think of any XX80 card being around 800-899 by default, a guy i built his PC 3 months ago, got a 3080 TUF for 980E (starting price 1250), and a 3070 Vision for 830E for his brother ,2 weeks ago, just finished building the PC with a 11700K and Liquid Freezer 2 on a Cosmos case (Massive waste of money these guys), told them to get the 3060 Ti's that appeared for 699 but they didnt listen xD, now the second ones are at 749. (Those are starting price, with some haggling i can easily assume like 600-650 for a 3060 Ti)

So yes, the cheapo cards are literally at 180-200% of their price, the bigger cards are at 110% xD, even 3080 Ti is at 1.8-2k, where its actual price would be 1599, so its literally "okay".

Like i bought my 2070S for 580e right before the price uprising when it was costing around 500 to rest of europe.

Those prices btw are from the safest biggest chain in Greece, you can find them cheaper, but it takes like 30 days+ to get anything, because they order things from outside of Greece and fuck up the market, where usually warranties can be fishy, therefor i avoid it.
    Last edited by potis; 2021-10-27 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    *glances at 3080 FE in my system*
    Congrats. You found the rare magical unicorn out in the wild. Buy a lottery ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post
    I've been looking to upgrade my current card (1070 ti). But holy shit are the prices on some of these newer cards expensive. Is this the new normal?
    Not in 2021. With all the freight stuck in cargo ships. Plenty of work and supply issues when it comes to China.

We should see improvements with Intel and AMD building domestic foundries. Plus others in Israel, Mexico, Brazil, and iirc Ireland.

Intel entering the GPU market should help a bit.

The biggest problem is apple wasting all the wafers on m1 and it successors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    Just pray other coins are not as profitable as eth when you cant mine eth using gpus anymore in january
    You can't mine it but you still need the Blockchain to work.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    *glances at 3080 FE in my system*
    *Glances at the MSI Gaming X Trio in my system that I got on launch day by walking into a shop*

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Congrats. You found the rare magical unicorn out in the wild. Buy a lottery ticket!
    Eh, smart people knew the card were in limited stock and were gonna sell out super fast. Fuck, I drove from Edinburgh to Manchester to get my card. I knew there would be a queue outside Scan for them. I got down early around 10am, enquired when they went on sale and how many they had and was offered a ticket to get a garenteed card of my choosing from what they had. Turned out they only had 20 of each, the MSI I got and an Asus one. I was number 10 in queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    *Glances at the MSI Gaming X Trio in my system that I got on launch day by walking into a shop*

- - - Updated - - -

Eh, smart people knew the card were in limited stock and were gonna sell out super fast.
    Eh, the argument wasn't that no product exists, the argument was that this idea of video cards being widely available again in the future for the prices we used to have a year ago is basically over and done with and will never return to the old status quo, even after the semiconductor shortage works its way out. You drove for miles and camped out and waited and still paid over $1000 after converting from Pounds for a card that wasn't even top of the stack. Heck I could get a solid mid range card like a gtx 1060 for just $250 a year or so ago. Now a mid range card today like the 3060 hovers between twice that at MSRP for everything but the few Founders that exist. That's even before any scalpers enter the equation. As far as OP's question is concerned, no. Cards are never going back to old prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Eh, the argument wasn't that no product exists, the argument was that this idea of video cards being widely available again in the future for the prices we used to have a year ago is basically over and done with and will never return to the old status quo, even after the semiconductor shortage works its way out. You drove for miles and camped out and waited and still paid over $1000 after converting from Pounds for a card that wasn't even top of the stack. Heck I could get a solid mid range card like a gtx 1060 for just $250 a year or so ago. Now a mid range card today like the 3060 hovers between twice that at MSRP for everything but the few Founders that exist. That's even before any scalpers enter the equation. As far as OP's question is concerned, no. Cards are never going back to old prices.
    And there was the great RAM shortage 15 years ago. Prices were up to 3x the normal. Prices recover. There are way more people waiting than there are buying. It's a shortage. Prices will recover I think it's two years away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

People have shown they are willing to pay these prices.. So I'd expect no return to the past, they'll always dangle a new tech or something and try to justify a crazy price for it. Then mid range few years later comes with the same power at near 600-800 dollars and low end will be 400 dollars. All I can say is welcome to the future, we caused this by giving them money when we should've said no and let prices fall.

But we'll see a drop at least to MSRPs near the 2nd half of 2022. Or at least should. But as I said I fully expect a 4090 to be $1999, a 4080ti to be $1499, a 4080 to be $999 and a 3070 to be $699. And AMD equivalents to be roughly $200 cheaper if they are roughly the same power. I'd usually say I'd hope not, but I've lost hope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prices will go down eventually, but yes Nvidia/AMD/Intel sure learned the lesson - people are ready to pay up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Eh, smart people knew the card were in limited stock and were gonna sell out super fast. Fuck, I drove from Edinburgh to Manchester to get my card. I knew there would be a queue outside Scan for them. I got down early around 10am, enquired when they went on sale and how many they had and was offered a ticket to get a garenteed card of my choosing from what they had. Turned out they only had 20 of each, the MSI I got and an Asus one. I was number 10 in queue.
    I bought my 3080 from scan a couple weeks ago for £1000. Seemed like the most reasonable retailer in the UK and they aren't getting any cheaper.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day