Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Prices will go down eventually, but yes Nvidia/AMD/Intel sure learned the lesson - people are ready to pay up.
    That's likely the biggest takeaway. The cards are flying off the shelves even above initial MSRP; whenever it's because of scalpers reselling them or people wanting to avoid said scalpers matters very little to manufacturers. People want cards, they got cards, that allows them to dictate prices to a large degree. Expect the 40xx generation to have inflated prices from the get-go.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    I bought my 3080 from scan a couple weeks ago for £1000. Seemed like the most reasonable retailer in the UK and they aren't getting any cheaper.
    I got super lucky tbh. I had planned to leave around 10am to get down for just before 2pm for when they went on sale, but I couldn't sleep. Decided I'd head down at 6am, and got down around 10am, went in and got my new PSU and NVME drive. I then enquired about when the 3080's were going ons ale and how many they had and which ones. The guy serving me said that I could get a ticket to come back at 2pm and be garenteed a card, as they knew demand would be high and they wouldn't have enough. I got ticket number 10. Went to the railway station nearby and had a sleep til 1:30pm, then headed back to scan, and there was a massive queue there already, a good 50 people at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Prices will go down eventually, but yes Nvidia/AMD/Intel sure learned the lesson - people are ready to pay up.
    And they already toying with that. Nvidia for example no longer realeased an entrance GPU, the RTX 3050 is exclusive for laptops, no equivalent for desktops. They already making profict of that, they want people to pay...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    And they already toying with that. Nvidia for example no longer realeased an entrance GPU, the RTX 3050 is exclusive for laptops, no equivalent for desktops. They already making profict of that, they want people to pay...
    That more has do with fab shortages.

Nvidia did bring back 2060 and 1050 from the dead to plug in that hole for the meanwhile.

While there is most certainly margins game going on, it's not the only reason for all this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    No, this is the new norm thanks to miners and scalpers. That's why I decided to set up a bot of my own, since it was the only way to get GPUs at MSRP. Started scalping cards myself, and you would be amazed how fast they get sold even at 2-3x MSRP.
    Don't forget the global microchip shortage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    They only had so much fab time, and they prioritized the higher profit margin products over the entry-level stuff

Yes! You can say that, it is a new normal!

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    You really don't even need to if you have a worthwhile PC, Sony's clearly changed its mind about console exclusivity and Microsoft did that years ago.
    Well you can't get a worthwhile PC either.

Very deceptive title, you have to watch it all the way to the end to really make sense of what he is saying but is this the absurd future of GPUs!?

Probably not, I hope not, but you can see the elements appearing. Not least because GPUs are somewhat consumables and Nvidia has a bit of a mission statement to actually get it's product into the hands of gamers I think this will not happen but you know, right now they are getting that exclusive feeling.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    If you live near a Microcenter, they do a daily lottery which can help you get a card at a reasonable cost. Otherwise, I suggest signing up for EVGA's queue system.

All that being said, a 1070ti is still a very capable card, and the only reason I would upgrade is if you're playing at 1440p or higher resolutions.

I am one of those dirty miners, but I have only bought cards from the EVGA queue(three), and four from Microcenter. Two of which I bought for friends who are in similar situations as you and other folks. But I only invested a few k into it, and it already paid for itself within 4 months, which is crazy to me.
    And unfortunately, the EVGA que system is currently not taking anymore names due to their own backlog =D

DOH! Missed that one too! But i'll keep checking back.

My own 7+ year old computer is on its last legs, and chugging to keep up with some of the newer game releases of the last year (but can still play on moderate settings usually fine lol) - not sure I can wait till 2022/2023 to build a new one. So this que system would work for me!

Just hate the idea of spending double the price of the whole rig on just the card. Normally I could build the *whole* rig for about 1-1200K US and that lasts at least 5-6 years able to play most video games pretty dang well - so the idea of the whole system being LESS than the cost of the video card just makes me twitch.

And consoles - ugg. Not an option for me, I really don't care for them. So one way or another - I'll pay it. I'll just try NOT to pay 2K US for the card =D.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

15+ Year Old Account
    I checked the used market prices and saw how much 2080Ti sells for. It's crazy.
    I bought a 1 year old 2080Ti for €600 back in August 2020 when people were mass-selling their cards for 3xxx series
    I sold it a week week ago for €960
    But then I bought 3080 for €1400. I figured that it mines a bit better, it has 45% more performance in 4k and also a longer warranty so it's worth paying €500.

If decent cards are pricing lots of folks out of the market I would think that that would hurt game sales to the extent that they stop developing games that require cards that most of their player base can't afford. Eventually that comes back and bites the card makers. But that will take 2-3 years so don't hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    If decent cards are pricing lots of folks out of the market I would think that that would hurt game sales to the extent that they stop developing games that require cards that most of their player base can't afford. Eventually that comes back and bites the card makers. But that will take 2-3 years so don't hold your breath.
    But how many games are PC exclusive? I would wager that the majority of big budget AAA games are available on consoles. Also it is in the interests of PC game devs to make games that are playable by the widest possible audience so they will not be developing games that require the latest and greatest GPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    There is allready a solution for BUDGET vs ENTHUSIAST GPU gamers: RTX.

Look at CP2077, a potatoe system can still run it and if you want the real eyecandy with full featured RTX effects, you need a 3080/3090 just for ULTRA 1080p (~60-70fps nothing crazy).

I think thats where it is going. People with lower end GPUs will have to settle on normal game engines, while high end systems will be able to use full RTX featurd engines at playable frame rate.

But of course, its not really playing the same game.

CP2077 ULTRA

CP2077 RTX ULTRA

Does it look like the same gaming experience to you?

People who watch GamersNexus pretty FPS charts on their phones will be happy either way - ignorance is bliss. And for those who have the budget and actually saw the game engines in their screen, will have an awesome experience.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post

Does it look like the same gaming experience to you?
    Nope, hence why I don't want any type of ray-tracing till a game is designed around using it. While the bottom picture might look more realistic, I do like the upper picture more.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Nope, hence why I don't want any type of ray-tracing till a game is designed around using it. While the bottom picture might look more realistic, I do like the upper picture more.
    Should add that Cyberpunk non RTX mode shouldnt look that bad to start with in all honest, for a 'modern' game, most modern released games that dont have a touch of RT in it look closer to RT on in cyberpunk, the issue isn't does RT make a game look better.

Its how bad a game already looks and cyberpunk looks truly last gen (considering base PS4 and xbox one were its target machines).

RT on in cyberpunk still looks junk however.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoriangun View Post
    Its how bad a game already looks and cyberpunk looks truly last gen (considering base PS4 and xbox one were its target machines).
    Considering how long it to to make this does not surprise me one bit and probably amounts to a very sensible decision rather than keeping it in dev hell for the shinies.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok so as part of the pre-Xmas shopping rush, Google has an ongoing "best gifts" shopping list and on this list are SEVERAL 3070/3080/3090 TI etc. gaming cards at the under 600 price point. Advertising them as "65%" off and marked at 499/599ish. And promises to be able to deliver these cards by Dec. 1 (so its not a waiting list).

Is this a scam?

https://allubrand.com/product/evga-g...graphics-card/

I could find no real evidence either way about the 'allubrand' online store other than it seems to be out of Asia (no shocker there). The purchases are listed as 'protected' with google safe checkout - through paypal, etc. But a quick 'google' search to see about reviews on the site - gets me nothing other than 'this site is only two months old we can't tell you - not enough information."

This isn't the only store btw I found online advertising this - this same card I got a 'five store comparison' and also lists these at normal prices at sites like "sovlier.com" and "wooxster.com", "vetolex.com", and "binsaga.com" all at 499 or 599. And then a 2200 price tag on ebay, and 2800 at "nextwarehouse.com" in the same 'price comparison.'

We thinking these are not at all the EVGA Geforce brand and some 3rd party knockoff? Refurbished?

Just seems rather 'too good to be true' that several sites are offering these 'unavailable' cards at these prices? Or do I need to pounce on one as I'd really like to upgrade my whole system in the next year but 1500$ video cards make that not an option. But neither do I wish to spend 500$ on a bait and switch.

Thoughts? Anyone biting and buying one?
    Last edited by Koriani; 2021-11-18 at 07:10 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Don't disregard AMD.

I was able to get a hold of a RX 6800 XT Sapphire Pulse for ~1100€ which is like 200€ above MSRP I believe? Maybe a bit more than that. Still currently roughly 400€ below scalping prices.

Regardless, in comparison to the prices of the 3080 Ti a total bargain. Alternate lists the cheapest 3080 Ti at 1900€ wtf
    Last edited by Tsarez; 2021-11-18 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post

Is this a scam?
    Yes.

Never trust google shopping, Its full of scam websites.