Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Well yeah IoT has gotten out of hand, while it has brought us many improvements, it also has complicated stuff that never needed any improvements.

You may joke, but from what you listed only my fridge and stairs don't have a chip controlling some aspect of them. And outside of automatic temperature control, I don't really need any of them.
    Yeah, I specifically don't buy smart home appliances because I have no interest in the features they offer.. And I don't feel like paying companies to take my data

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well yeah IoT has gotten out of hand, while it has brought us many improvements, it also has complicated stuff that never needed any improvements.

You may joke, but from what you listed only my fridge and stairs don't have a chip controlling some aspect of them. And outside of automatic temperature control, I don't really need any of them.
    I wasn't completely joking.

I'm surprised your fridge isn't one of them! The fact that traditional mechanics are going to have to learn IT skills to continue working on cars is atrocious, imo. Watch, the guy driving a 1980s car is going to keep driving when there's some huge internet outage that affects all the cars that are connected to it. It's neat but boy oh boy are we playing with the devil... our electronics and networking are so damned fragile and now we're literally putting things that could easily lead us to our deaths in direct conjunction more and more with those fragile systems. Just because the network goes down and your car turns off or reboots doesn't mean you'll instantly be able to stop the car from driving off a cliff or rear-ending someone. It's like we're forgetting the laws of motion. This is dangerous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Yeah, I specifically don't buy smart home appliances because I have no interest in the features they offer.. And I don't feel like paying companies to take my data
    What? You don't want to be able to check what is in your refrigerator at home from work?

Yeah work which may very well be down the hall or up the stairs in the same building now for you? lol

We're giving up too much for convenience and I totally feel you. My refrigerator needs to maintain my food's temperature. That's it.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Yeah, I specifically don't buy smart home appliances because I have no interest in the features they offer
    I'd love the features, I'm just too paranoid lol
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I wasn't completely joking.

I'm surprised your fridge isn't one of them! The fact that traditional mechanics are going to have to learn IT skills to continue working on cars is atrocious, imo. Watch, the guy driving a 1980s car is going to keep driving when there's some huge internet outage that affects all the cars that are connected to it. It's neat but boy oh boy are we playing with the devil... our electronics and networking are so damned fragile and now we're literally putting things that could easily lead us to our deaths in direct conjunction more and more with those fragile systems. Just because the network goes down and your car turns off or reboots doesn't mean you'll instantly be able to stop the car from driving off a cliff or rear-ending someone. It's like we're forgetting the laws of motion. This is dangerous.

- - - Updated - - -

What? You don't want to be able to check what is in your refrigerator at home from work?

Yeah work which may very well be down the hall or up the stairs in the same building now for you? lol

We're giving up too much for convenience and I totally feel you. My refrigerator needs to maintain my food's temperature. That's it.
    Yeah well, I have a hard time thinking what would I need my fridge to do other than keep my food cold. It's like my digital microwave, it's way more complicated than a normal one with no apparent benefit.

But the most hilarious thing I've seen is the coffee machine at our work, you can remotely activate it, but it's a single cup machine so, you probably have your cup with you at your workstation, hence the utility is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    I'd love the features, I'm just too paranoid lol
    I don't know, the only thing I like is my robot vacuum and yeah it's separated from my main network due to it being chinesium.. And I tunnel most of my networking past my ISP anyways, so the risk minimal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    That's life though. No one is entitled to the cards no matter what their use is, crypto mining, gaming, content creation. If someone has the cash to buy 10+ GPU's for mining, then they should be allowed to do so. What entitles anyone to anything?
    There’s no issue with entitlement. The issue is with regulation of sales and greed. Gamers only need 1 GPU to be content whereas miners and scalpers will continue to hunt GPU’s until it’s no longer profitable. Scalpers and miners use scripts, bots or have an inside connection where they can skip the middleman and get pallets of GPU’s. You can go on the various Reddit’s about crypto mining and see all the new people starting up or people building new rigs. Most claim to buy from scalpers which serves as positive reinforcement for the scalpers. It’s a repetitive cycle of miners buying scalped cards and jacking the price up. This is blatantly obvious when comparing prices of non-LHR cards versus LHR cards on eBay. All we can hope for at this rate is that Eth PoS doesn’t get pushed out again. Outside of Bitcoin, all PoW coins will be largely unprofitable when that happens because all the other PoW coins difficulty will skyrocket due to the abundance of hash power currently on ETH.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah well, I have a hard time thinking what would I need my fridge to do other than keep my food cold. It's like my digital microwave, it's way more complicated than a normal one with no apparent benefit.

But the most hilarious thing I've seen is the coffee machine at our work, you can remotely activate it, but it's a single cup machine so, you probably have your cup with you at your workstation, hence the utility is useless.

I don't know, the only thing I like is my robot vacuum and yeah it's separated from my main network due to it being chinesium.. And I tunnel most of my networking past my ISP anyways, so the risk minimal.
    Being able to check your refrigerator from work or if you're at the grocery store to know what you have and don't have CAN be useful but still, what about all the stuff that ISN'T in the fridge?
    AW SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT here come smart cabinets!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water