Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
18
... LastLast
  1. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    If there were no biases based on gender, then workplaces would be pretty close to representative of the gender composition of the population.

    How about demonstrating a bit of critical thinking in your posts before rolling your eyes?
    That assumes everything the world is 100% nurture and 0% nature, which is not true.

    They would certainly be closer to the population than they are now, but in no way 50/50.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

  2. #142
    Elemental Lord
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    It could easily be though. If it was a case of only wanting males, why is it not all males then? Are you saying, that it’s not even a remote possibility?
    Who said anything about only wanting males? You're trying to strawman.

    So let me remind you again. What I said is that the numbers point to the existence of biases that favour men. Given the "fratboy culture" that we now know has been endemic at Blizzard for decades, this shouldn't come as a surprise.

  3. #143
    Yeah yeah. Now tell us whats the plan for your future IPs. Maybe?

  4. #144
    Hiring based on imaginary gender instead of talent. Neato, this will play out well for the quality of their games.

  5. #145
    1. Good change as long as it's a fair process, not sure why there's even any sort of tolerance for harassment in the workplace, anywhere, ever. Be a professional, no excuses.
    2. I agree with not hiring to check off a box, but there are legitimate ways of doing this, take more time, line up more diverse candidates etc. This most likely won't happen to the degree they're saying.
    3. This is good, but kind of like harassment, shouldn't have been a thing in a first place.
    4. Good change
    5. We'll see, also what's the point of saying he's taking reduced salary? Guy has so much money already, and who wants to bet he's lining up some sort of salary bonus/compensation to make up for the "lost" money. That to me is some sort of symbolic martyring that comes off as weak. Maybe you can step down if you can't get this done?

  6. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Sorry, but someone has to call people like you out for this BS.

    The fact that 77% of Blizzard employees are currently male tells us unequivocally that their past hiring policy has been biased by, as you put it, what people have between their legs.

    Achieving more representative employment, when implemented correctly, is not about introducing biases, but about removing them. It's about recognising that skewed representation is the result of existing biases and eliminating them.
    No, that literally tells nothing.

    It only proves that the survey about game developers is true meaning about 60% of game developers are men and 30% were women.

    To be able to have equal number of workers we would need to force more women to become developers OR we would have to fire men from their jobs leaving them unemployed, so that we could fill in some equality-policy. Neither is ideal.

    You cant change the reality of the world. Not all women want to become game developers... not all men want to become makeup artists... all jobs in the world have biased ratios based on which gender is generally more interested in it.
    No job is 100% one gender or the other, but they arent 50% either and never will be.

    Trying to forcefully change that is far more harmful to everyone involved...

    Just go to any school that teaches gaming and start counting heads in classes... its never going to be equal. And never because of who are chosen for the classes... its about who APPLY for said field.

  7. #147
    Elemental Lord
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    That assumes everything the world is 100% nurture and 0% nature, which is not true.

    They would certainly be closer to the population than they are now, but in no way 50/50.
    You know what, you could even be right. And what is to say that once you've taken out all the biases that women aren't even better suited to these jobs than men?

  8. #148
    MOst of the stuffwhile good i don't really care about, and it's more an issue than a solution to me.

    Why would i fucking care if someone is a man/woman/refigerator and is binary/non-binary.

    HIRE ACTUALLY COMPETENT PEOPLE AND NOT SOME NOBODIES JUST TO FILL SOME ARBITRARY QUOTAS TO SHOW HOW GOOD YOU ARE, AND DELIVER QUALITY PRODUCTS.

    They're really selling the point of how their situation is bad because they don't have enough whatever in the team. It's not like this, it's you have some absolute jerks with zero professional behaviour - get rid of them, hire actually passionate and competent people and get back to work.

    It's absolutely true that a terrible workplace has repercussions on your employees and thus on the end product. But most of the bad stuff that's in a game like wow is just due to total mismanagement and no listening to feedbacks. Way too many times players pointed out the flaws of your team decisions and you just ignored them because you had some grand master plan that backfired so badly you're searching for excuses not to say it's your fault only.

    Workplace conditions are not the reasons players are fleeing away from your game.

  9. #149
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Who said anything about only wanting males? You're trying to strawman.

    So let me remind you again. What I said is that the numbers point to the existence of biases that favour men. Given the "fratboy culture" that we now know has been endemic at Blizzard for decades, this shouldn't come as a surprise.
    You never answered the question. Do you think it’d possible that at the time of applying, in an profession that is mostly males, that more qualified males just applied and were accepted on merit, than gender?

    And I assumed you applied they wanted males, given you said a % was male and that was an obvious biased. Not sure what else you could be applying, but my fault for assuming.

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    And what is to say that once you've taken out all the biases that women aren't even better suited to these jobs than men?
    And how is this assumption not slightly sexist?

    Or is it one of those "you can't be sexist towards men" cases?

  11. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Translation: We won't be hiring people for their skills but for what they have between their legs/what they identify as.

    A smart move to be sure
    Bad translation. What it means is that out of a pool of qualified people with the correct skills they are more likely to choose from groups who have historically been excluded or under-represented.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Saiteck View Post
    /target Kotick
    /spit
    /fart
    *You drool and shit your pants.*

  12. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Translation: We won't be hiring people for their skills but for what they have between their legs/what they identify as.

    A smart move to be sure
    Exactly this.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    A diverse workplace is better than a non diverse one.
    In 'normal' workplace with people hired based on TALENT, KNOWLEDGE or EXPERIENCE it does not matter if there are only females, males or non-binary people.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    It’s not like there aren’t talented female/NB developers out there
    Nobody is saying that.
    Bobby stated that Blizzard will now hire BASING on being certain gender not talent and this is the problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    The world hasn’t worked that way since forever, unfortunately. One step forward, two steps back.
    Where/when is the part it did not work?
    You mean woke people being offended by literally everything?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    They did have zero tolerance they just didn’t actually act on it, people like Morhaime reprimanded people who came forward and JAB dragged his feet.
    Atleast people like Morhaime are the reason that this company is even here...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    Whites stole the country in the first place, so it’s fair game if someone steals the country from them.
    Typical 'i can be racist against white race because... you can't be racist against white people' post.
    Reported.

  13. #153
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Bad translation. What it means is that out of a pool of qualified people with the correct skills they are more likely to choose from groups who have historically been excluded or under-represented.
    Racism is fine when it's done against white people.

    White people should suffer for the actions of their ancestors.

    Am I doing this right?

  14. #154
    Reducing pay for a CEO to legal minimum wage sounds like a big deal, but when you consider the fact that he is already a billionaire, it becomes something barely worth mentioning.

  15. #155
    We have a lot more to do if we are to be the company that others emulate.
    Well I certainly hope no other company ever tries to emulate them. Infact, this should be the company that other companies look at and feel "ah, so this is what we shouldn't do".

    Not talking just about the recent issues either. Just the way they make their games and everything aswell.

    Absolute cunts.

  16. #156
    Yet another case of progressives being too delusional and blinded by their own self righteousness to realize that forced diversity is in fact actually discrimination. Then again pandering to people who literally identify as things they clearly are not while ignoring basic biological facts indicates that being delusional is welcomed.

  17. #157
    if i was one of those genders / sexes wtv i would feel terrible.

    you know why ?

    i personally would like to know that whoever doing the job the best, no matter their other specifications, is doing the job.

    hiring someone just because they are non-binary is mind blowingly stupid.

    p.s : if they have the same qualities and work experience, choosing the non-binary one over a man or woman is also mind blowingly stupid.

    p.s 2 : not choosing the non-binary one just because they are non-binary is equally stupid.
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

  18. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    You know what, you could even be right. And what is to say that once you've taken out all the biases that women aren't even better suited to these jobs than men?
    All of human history?

    Before you misread that, it's not a "lol these jobs are for men" thing. I'm a lefty who believes in material equality, not pretending that once we magically remove all bias, capitalism will finally be pure and wonderful. So much of this stuff is just corporate liberal doctrine. Women in power can be (and are) just as brutal as men - structures are what is important, not individuals. The same way that poverty isn't an individual choice, it is almost always a result of someone's environment and the structures surrounding them. It is weird to me how so many liberals seem to think Nurture is like 100% of sociology yet then also think that people who rise to the top of a corrupt system won't be corrupted by it.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

  19. #159
    I remember when Blizzard announced that they were going to go along with the most racist and sexist policies known as affirmative action. Now this is what happens to companies that cater to such policies. Blizzard is by no means alone in this.


    When you hire a person, as a company you want the best and the brightest that you can attain regardless of sex, race, religion. That is not allowed when you have laws that force companies to set quotas on the number of certain races and sexes you hire. It so such an awful policy that was enacted over 40 years ago(in North America) that it has destroyed whole fields of science, education etc.

    Having the best and the brightest leading the charge is to the benefit of all. Having the mediocre leading the charge is the downfall of society ergo the current state of the U.S.A.

  20. #160
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Yet another case of progressives being too delusional and blinded by their own self righteousness to realize that forced diversity is in fact actually discrimination. Then again pandering to people who literally identify as things they clearly are not while ignoring basic biological facts indicates that being delusional is welcomed.
    Its california, what do you expect

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •