Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
... LastLast
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vindicator View Post
    Not only is that what I believe - that's what happened.
    What I saw, was that more talented men made a product, and then a bunch of Feminist weasels came in and threw a hissy fit about something they previously had no problem with, just so they could steal the company and turn it into a propaganda mill.

    I'm a man - I think sexual assault is the highest form of evil you can perpetuate against someone - that doesn't change the fact most sexual assault is the fault of men and on the whole men are far more dismissive, for fairly obvious reasons.
    Slavery is worse. Child slavery is even worse. So is flaying the elderly alive, or setting them on fire shortly after. Have some imagination.

    It's no great logical leap to see the pattern in the gaming industry, all the companies are massively male dominated
    It's called "freedom". You will never have equality when there is freedom of people to do what jobs they want. Women and men are different, think different, and are practically different species due to sexual dimorphism. Sure, there are plenty of women that go into technical fields, but there are FAR more men who do, and due to simply demographic numbers, of course you're going to end up with more men in the workplace. Blizzard tried this "hiring more women" BS back when Morhaime was President, it obviously never ended, but they still ended up with only 25% or so females in the workforce. It could simply be, that you telling women what they should want, and what they actually DO want, are entirely different things.

  2. #102
    The Patient VinylScratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    A vastly superior MMO
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by problematic asshole View Post
    I don't even know if he's serious at this point. But nothing these people believe holds up. They're either young and inexperienced or lack intelligence.
    That's usually what it is. It's people who have never had to experience these things and have a ridiculously idealistic view of the world. What I find most amusing is how they don't notice their line of thinking in some regards is actually kind of racist. People will unironically defend Harvard's deliberate bias in candidates when it comes to race allowing some races to score 200 points lower on SATs than what other races have to. Then when you bring it up they say something like "Well that's to make it fair."

    In a lot of ways these people actually sound like white supremacists just they employ it differently. In what world can someone say "Women need to be given preferential treatment in employment so it's fair" and not see what they're saying as sexist? Women can be just as qualified if not more than men, just as men can be equally qualified if not more than women. It's about the person, not how they're born.

  3. #103
    Bloodsail Admiral Palapop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    1,009
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    i have worked in education for many years,and in my experience women outperformed men vastly,but for some reason all these smart and qualified women seem to not get the jobs,odd isnt it?

    - - - Updated - - -



    your simply in denial of reality
    I've never ever experienced anything like that tbh.
    No one bats an eye about your sex.

    Unless it's night-shift at local gas station. They pick up males for that 1 tho. No one ranted about it. :S


    And as someone else said- no one hires men just because they are.... men...

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vowrawn View Post
    It's called "freedom". You will never have equality when there is freedom of people to do what jobs they want. Women and men are different, think different, and are practically different species due to sexual dimorphism. Sure, there are plenty of women that go into technical fields, but there are FAR more men who do, and due to simply demographic numbers, of course you're going to end up with more men in the workplace. Blizzard tried this "hiring more women" BS back when Morhaime was President, it obviously never ended, but they still ended up with only 25% or so females in the workforce. It could simply be, that you telling women what they should want, and what they actually DO want, are entirely different things.


    "It's off to the brickworks with you."

  5. #105
    Brewmaster Whitedragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Definitely not behind you
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Skill is not the only factor. In fact skill is baseline. If you don't have the required skill then you don't even make it to the first round of interviews. What is more important is creativity and culture fit. You want your employees to get along and you want them to be innovative. Blizzard has a culture problem. They want to create a more inclusive culture. One way to do that could be to hire more non males. If that is the direction they are going then being a non male does make you more qualified.
    As someone who worked for a company that tried to be "inclusive" by hiring a bunch of minorities in short odder just to look good, we ended up with some very under skilled (although most where at least nice to work with) workers who had to be chaperoned most of their time at the company. when I left the company only two of them where left one who had been moved to cleaning staff, and one who I will admit put in a lot of effort to learning the craft and made something of himself, the other 12ish employees ended up fading away.

    Don't ever doubt for a moment that some companies will just pick someone up, because HR says they need more of them...

  6. #106
    Mechagnome Indigenously Abled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Reservation (Thanks White People)
    Posts
    705
    Jordan Peterson memes aside, making rules for the exception never pans out.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem, it supports your inability to support your argument.

  7. #107
    Really, someone needs to explain to me, if you assume that Blizzard is a terrible company, that sexually assaulted women and looked the other way while it happened, wouldn't that make it more likely for them to hire women? Because otherwise they can't harass anyone.

    I mean they at least need a good supply of good-looking girls, that will let them do this shit to them.

  8. #108
    The Patient VinylScratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    A vastly superior MMO
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post

    And as someone else said- no one hires men just because they are.... men...
    Eh this is true and isn't true in some cases. At the risk of sounding sexist, both genders do have their certain tendencies that might make them more or less favorable for employment. Women are more likely to take time off, women are more likely to quit the job if they have a child and they feel it's required of them, men are more likely to make their job the entire focus of their life and orient their entire life around their job. Men are more prone to advancing their position within a company by any means necessary so they're more likely to take the offer some businesses have where if you agree to major in a field they want and work for the company in that field they will cover your tuition upfront and you either pay it back by working for them or they take small bits out of your checks until it is paid.

    These are things repeatedly confirmed with studies conducted regarding gender and workplace. These shouldn't be something that is looked at but it definitely is. Just as companies also will take note of your children if they exist or likelihood of having children in the near future because if you either have a kid, or will have a kid that means the company is probably going to have to pay you more to keep you around because you have to take care of your family and if the pay doesn't cut it they won't be around.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    I have a close relative who went into game design. There were only a handful of women (including herself) during her years there. She graduated at the top of her class. She had *far* more breadth of game experience (the vast majority of the males only every played and focused on first person shooters). She won competitions while there.

    She didn't get nearly as many offers as the obviously less qualified males.

    Nobody is asking for less qualified women to get jobs that would go to more qualified males. The reality is that less qualified males are hired over more qualified women *all* *the* *time* in industries like game design, programming, and cybersecurity.

    Why does this happen? Because of people very much like you. You *think* you are being fair, but you (like most) have bias in your decisions, and thus pick less qualified males all the time.

    Furthermore, the primary reason many women don't want to go in these fields is because, again, of people very much like you. The rude and lewd comments. The condescension. The assumption that men are inherently more qualified.

    By making a commitment to hiring more women, they aren't looking to make their company less effective. You are an utter moron if you think that is what is going on. Instead, they are making a real effort to attract even more people to the industry so that they can hire even more qualified people.

    And it's funny how people like you point out low-paying male dominated fields while completely ignoring the tons of low-paying female dominated fields like teachers and child care.

    Spend more time learning and less time spouting nonsense.
    That wasn't my experience in those companies at all, and unless companies on the West Coast are a lot different than on the East Coast, this story seems impossible. Big companies were desperate to hire women where I worked.

    The idea that there are IT companies out there in 2021 who see a highly qualified woman and say, "meh" seems totally unrealistic. People like that can normally just write their own ticket. Also, the idea that there would be pervasive lewd comments in 2021... seriously? From software developers? The nerdy white, asian, and indian guys who sit in front of computers all day?
    Last edited by Coniferous; 2021-11-01 at 03:47 AM.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    i have worked in education for many years,and in my experience women outperformed men vastly,but for some reason all these smart and qualified women seem to not get the jobs,odd isnt it?

    - - - Updated - - -



    your simply in denial of reality
    Women tend to gravitate toward "nurturing" professions like teaching, childcare, healthcare, etc... That's not really too surprising.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    I honestly wish they could make the hiring process for programming jobs just completely blind tbh. Fake name, no picture and straight text interview / online skill testing questions. Not really feasible I guess, but it'd be nice to see people hired just on straight talent without gender or race or religion coming into it. It'd hopefully lead to a more diverse workplace
    This has been tried and leads to less women being hired because people were hired on the merit of their qualifications

    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-...-study/8664888

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    probably due to societal conditioning... including how we're raised even from an early age...
    Probably has some influence, but I think nurturing is just an innate trait that females have.

  13. #113
    The Patient VinylScratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    A vastly superior MMO
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedragon View Post
    As someone who worked for a company that tried to be "inclusive" by hiring a bunch of minorities in short odder just to look good, we ended up with some very under skilled (although most where at least nice to work with) workers who had to be chaperoned most of their time at the company. when I left the company only two of them where left one who had been moved to cleaning staff, and one who I will admit put in a lot of effort to learning the craft and made something of himself, the other 12ish employees ended up fading away.

    Don't ever doubt for a moment that some companies will just pick someone up, because HR says they need more of them...
    Yep, that's how I actually got forced out of my first job when I was 20. I started working at age 18, was put into management primarily due to seniority and being the best worker at the store at the time our manager quit. Was a manager for a year and some change, our store made a pretty good turnaround where workplace enthusiasm was much higher, our turnover rate dropped like a rock because I was willing to cover so my employees could have their days off if nobody would cover. My workers got along with me really well. At a point during 2014 our store in the midwest was one of the most profitable stores according to corporate when we were just acceptable prior. One of the biggest changes being the people in our kitchen were a lot happier working so they put out better food due to morality which was the bulk of what we sold.

    Got forced out of that position because corporate decided we needed more minorities in leadership which is a noble goal but it should never be the result of literally installing them which is what happened to me. I was told in a subtle way by the regional manager that corporate had decided one of our better functioning stores needed a minority managing to make a better impression on the public by basically saying "A black manager operates one of our best stores!" That exact store was closed down within a year. I don't know all of what went on but from my former coworkers who were basically friends she was my polar opposite. Where I was strict only when necessary she basically pulled rank over everything, where I seldom considered myself the manager of the store she wouldn't hesitate to remind people that she was the manager and what she said went.

    About the closest indication I had aside from that about the store going downhill fast was chatting with the cashier and them telling me they were down to four people on staff, and people were basically getting hired then quitting in two weeks because they couldn't tolerate the new manager's attitude.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    probably due to societal conditioning... including how we're raised even from an early age...
    It's an evolutionary trait.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    lol... no... also don't call us "females"...
    That's what a woman is. What?

  16. #116
    Dreadlord Femininity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Woman in a Man's World
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    That's what a woman is. What?
    Part of the semantic argument differentiating gender and biological sex.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Hyperion - Primal NA - Lone Hero

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    its rly funny how people think its sexist and people get hired for their gender if its women,but when a company hires 99% men its perfectly fine
    As many have said, the problem with IT hiring is at the source - education has favoured men.

    No-one is happy at 99% men, nor are they happy at hiring someone just because they are women.

    What people want is for everyone to have equal opportunity, not necessarily equal outcome.

    Due to COVID-19, Germany is running out of sausages and cheese.
    The government considers this to be the Wurst Käse scenario

  18. #118
    Dreadlord Femininity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Woman in a Man's World
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    woman is specifically human... female is not specific to humans and could refer to any species...

    plus it's just fucking grammatically weird and inappropriate to use an adjective rather than having a subject in the sentence when talking about a person...
    I'm a female. Call me what you like. Interesting hang-up.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Hyperion - Primal NA - Lone Hero

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    woman is specifically human... female is not specific to humans and could refer to any species...

    plus it's just fucking grammatically weird and inappropriate to use an adjective rather than having a subject in the sentence when talking about a person...

    - - - Updated - - -



    i and many of my friends must have missed the 101 on what makes a woman... because nurturing shit can fuck right off...
    I wasn't talking about "a person" I was talking about females in general.

    And I quote "Probably has some influence, but I think nurturing is just an innate trait that females have."

    And yes that applies to all species as well, hence why mother bear protects her cubs.
    Last edited by muto; 2021-11-01 at 04:15 AM.

  20. #120
    Dreadlord Femininity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Woman in a Man's World
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    i and many of my friends must have missed the 101 on what makes a woman... because nurturing shit can fuck right off...
    I mean, same here, but it's far more likely that societal conditioning has bucked the trend of women being nurturers than reinforcing it.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Hyperion - Primal NA - Lone Hero

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •