Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The concept art... i could get behind that. They look really cool and i do not inherently dislike the shared theme...

But it seems like they just took EVERY detail from the concept art out and gave us flat dungeon sets without any character.
    I could see them as starter gear in a new expansion. But they are the most boring sets i have ever seen in a raid. Not bad. Just boring. No details.
    Nothing special. An except hunter and shaman i could not tell for the life of me which set would be for what class....

Even the sets in BFA and what we got in SL until now looks miles better!

Firelands sets looked cool, but all very similar. Same with these.

And I agree, seeing DKs, DHs, and warlocks in silver and gold is just weird. They should smear blood on the DK armor and green goo on the DH/locks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    This ^

Tier sets that have been well received in the past almost never have anything to do with the raid. Tier sets that are often less well received are the ones that homogenize a look to be in line with the raid.
    Imagine caring so much about what other people think of pixels in a 17 year old video game that you opine on whether they were "well received" or not. Fuck me. If you don't like the sets just mog yourself back to whatever old set floats your boat. It's art designed for a game with millions of individual players, and this is their 20-somethingth attempt at it - you're not going to love it all.

How does the moon set look good for any class that isn’t Balance Druid, Priest or Mage?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Imagine caring so much about what other people think of pixels in a 17 year old video game that you opine on whether they were "well received" or not. Fuck me. If you don't like the sets just mog yourself back to whatever old set floats your boat. It's art designed for a game with millions of individual players, and this is their 20-somethingth attempt at it - you're not going to love it all.
    "You can't have an opinion because the game is old and there are other transmog sets you can use"

ok.jpg
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

The entire point of a tier set is that it embodies the aesthetic of each of the 12 classes split across multiple elements from the same raid tier. Hunters might look like the proto-animals shown in the zone. Warlocks might take on more elements of the dreadlords we're dealing with. Death Knights may have more Jailer-armor inspired designs. And so on. THEN Priests or Paladins would work great for the aesthetics they chose.

Yes, some of those have already been well-treaded in prior sets, but that's the entire point of tier sets and were never a problem prior to BFA - variety is the spice of life and it opens up possibilities for the art team to do new iterations of similar styles. We've had 50,000 scary warlock sets up to 6.0, for example, but it doesn't change that Mythic Shadow Council looks spectacular.

Having all 12 classes be based off the golden First Ones architecture would be like if...say, all 10 Icecrown raid tier sets all used black and dark blue spikes in different silhouettes rather than a mixture of Scourge-themed mob or Argent Dawn-themed styles.

To not acknowledge the sameyness is disingenuous. This is the same BFA/Shadowlands practice of 4 armor types with the same aesthetic influences, they just added 8 more similar versions. I can't think of any actual class tier that had this many style similarities. Even homogenized ones like the Firelands had more variations.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    "You can't have an opinion because the game is old and there are other transmog sets you can use"

ok.jpg
    Nah, I just think it's fucking weird that you and people like you sit around and pretend like your opinion of something is objective fact rather than your subjective feelings and act as if Blizzard should design the game specifically for you, and if they don't then they're bad.

If we were 20+ tiers into this game and every single tier set was designed around "clAsS FaNTAsY" you'd all be here complaining that there's no variety and it would be "cool" to see sets that matched the raid environment. Instead, there's a rough balance between raid-styled and class-styled tier sets, so you just bitch that whatever the most recent one is is wrong and should've been done your way.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroPup View Post
    One of the defining characteristics of tier looks was that they looked like they came from the raid. These new sets look like they came from the raid and now it's a problem.
    Yeah but when they did this in the past there was still a lot of nuisance in the class sets and they varied a great deal despite the shared theme.

Firelands for instance most of the set were themed after the different creatures. If these new classes do have a theme representing different parts of Zereth Mortis then we haven't seen it yet.

But like I said in a pervious thread. This is still better than what we got in BfA and early SL raids.

If we were 20+ tiers into this game and every single tier set was designed around "clAsS FaNTAsY" you'd all be here complaining that there's no variety and it would be "cool" to see sets that matched the raid environment.
    Man, it sure is easy to make this kind of claim about "we all" when it's based entirely off an invented hypothetical.

No one has said that, though...because they didn't do that in the past. Up until BFA where there was 4 set variations, there was usually a mixture of class-fantasy sets and raid tier-themed sets for any given spread of available sets (Frostfire, which was pure class fantasy and had nothing to do with Naxxramas architecture or mobs vs. Bloodmage, which had everything to do with Icecrown mob theming, for example).

All sets were hit and miss, sure, especially mail, but class fantasy has never held hotage taking inspiration from raid mobs/environments and vice-versa. The difference is that all 9-12 sets in a tier have never been 100% reliant on the raid's architecture as the basis for their aesthetic and this one appears to be. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by PopoJagaimo View Post
    I feel like the artwork for the tier sets look better than the actual in game models.
    Same. Concept art looks great. Game models looks like two interns and a make a wish blind kid made em.

The sets being modeled after the raid would have made more sense if the raid had an intrinsic aesthetic that was varied. For instance, look at ICC. The sets were all modeled off of different aspects of Northrend. Here, we have nothing since there's only one aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakir View Post
    (Frostfire, which was pure class fantasy and had nothing to do with Naxxramas architecture or mobs
    Lmao I'm sorry what? Just to confirm, you're saying the Frostfire set, the one entirely covered in icicles and matching the colour scheme of Necropolises dating back to the Warcraft RTS games had nothing to do with Naxxramas, which was a necropolis including a literal Frostwyrm? Or, y'know, the final boss being a Lich, Liches in Warcraft being a cross between frost mages and necromancers? Or how the entire thing is filled with the Lich King's minions, and the Lich King literally sits on a Frozen Throne in Northrend in Icecrown?

The actual fuck even is this argument? You couldn't have picked a worse example of a "class based" set if you tried.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    The sets being modeled after the raid would have made more sense if the raid had an intrinsic aesthetic that was varied. For instance, look at ICC. The sets were all modeled off of different aspects of Northrend. Here, we have nothing since there's only one aesthetic.
    Even then, raid geometry aside, they still could've had the good sense to have some of the examples I had given - go back to Dreadlord roots for Warlocks due to dreadlord bosses, maybe a Jailer or Anduin-inspired set for Death Knights, keep the ones here for Priests and Paladins, maybe have some proto-animals they showed as the basis for a Hunter set...

But nope. "Whoops, All Gold!" It's the same 4-set base of BFA and SL raids, just with 8 similar variants.

I think the biggest weakness is how many look like Argus quest sets. Those that don't have a ton of Kyrian and Atal'Dazar DNA, and all of those are very recent.
    Last edited by Vakir; 2021-11-11 at 11:07 PM.

Way to bring back class sets and do a content theme so they all look the same, instead of class fantasy themed.

Looks like 13 flavors of Priest to me

10+ Year Old Account
    I reckon they look really cool. I like that they're leaning into the zone aesthetic.

Sure, they look slightly similar when all lined up but it's nowhere near as bad as people are complaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhlys View Post
    Once upon a time, boats were full of leaks. Now, our leaks are full of boats.

Lmao I'm sorry what? Just to confirm, you're saying the Frostfire set, the one entirely covered in icicles and matching the colour scheme of Necropolises dating back to the Warcraft RTS games had nothing to do with Naxxramas, which was a necropolis including a literal Frostwyrm? Or, y'know, the final boss being a Lich, Liches in Warcraft being a cross between frost mages and necromancers? Or how the entire thing is filled with the Lich King's minions, and the Lich King literally sits on a Frozen Throne in Northrend in Icecrown?

The actual fuck even is this argument? You couldn't have picked a worse example of a "class based" set if you tried.
    Yeah, frost is present because it's an existing spec for the class in question, but it's not using the style or aesthetic choices that flag it as a "Scourge" or "Necropolis" based set at all. If you shoved it into a completely different raid, nothing would stand out to say "Hey, that's a Scourge-themed set." Drop the headpiece and it wouldn't look that out of place on a generic archmage. The presence of ice doesn't make it somehow more inclined to fit with that theme.

The point is that class fantasy sets exist independent of raid themes at times - if you prefer, it's like how neither Gul'dan nor the Shadow Council even show up in Highmaul or Foundry (Cho'gall on Mythic mode is the closest we get), but it's still the basis for the warlock set. And a lot of times raid themes influence class sets at the expense of class fantasy, like going with more of ICC's necromancer vibe. There's a mixture, so the idea that there would be bitching to have some sense of class fantasy is disingenuous. Nighthold Mythic DK is the closest we'll ever get to an Arthas-esque armor set, beating out even Scourgelord, and yet it has fuck-all to do with that tier. They could've easily come up with some Legion-adjacent bullshit and they didn't.

these are the most low effort class sets i've ever seen - to compare these to something like the legion sets is pathetic. they actually manage to look even worse than the generic armor type ones we've been getting since bfa.

literally looking like leveling gear. where is the creativity?

Last edited by Claritycraft; 2021-11-11 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claritycraft View Post
    literally looking like leveling gear. where is the creativity?
    I really looks like world quest rewards or leveling gear. Also maybe its because of previous sets and the colours but almost all of them look like priest sets.

The SL dungeon sets honestly look better https://www.wowhead.com/news/shadowl...d-34081-312120
    Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Which one of those ropes can I hang myself with