Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Will 9.2 deal with the Sword in Silithus/Chamber of Heart?

I've been thinking about the recurring theme of "death comes for the soul of Azeroth" that has been present in this expansion.

From the pre-release media describing the theme/story, to the Jailer proclaiming it during the escape from the Maw scenario (Death comes for the soul of your world!), to the Primus repeating that same line (Death comes for the soul of your world, mortal. But together, we may yet save it.)... and now for official descriptions of the next patch by Blizzard themselves uses the same line: the soul of Azeroth depends on it!

So thinking about this while also thinking about what we know about the world-soul of Azeroth since Legion and BfA, I can't help but think the Chamber of Heart and Sargeras' sword coming into play.

The Jailer so fixated on getting to the Sepulcher of the First Ones in order to "rewrite the rules of reality" yet he still wants the "soul of Azeroth" at the same time.

What could Azeroth's world-soul have to do with the desire to change the laws of reality? Do you think one will have to do with the other? Do you think the Jailer needs to first "rewrite these laws of reality" in order to gain access to Azeroth's world-soul? Do you even care at this point?

EDIT: Yes, this question came about after seeing this post on the WoW Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...tory_is_going/

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I doubt it, this despite the developers saying that Shadowlands would somehow deal with Sargeras' sword buried in Silithus. Might be part and parcel of the pre-expansion event for the 10.0 expansion, of course; just like most pre-expansion events tend to lead into the next story arc. Seems highly unlikely that the Zereth Mortis storyline would touch on anything Azeroth-related, as it's just about as far from Azeroth as you can realistically get.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I doubt it, this despite the developers saying that Shadowlands would somehow deal with Sargeras' sword buried in Silithus. Might be part and parcel of the pre-expansion event for the 10.0 expansion, of course; just like most pre-expansion events tend to lead into the next story arc. Seems highly unlikely that the Zereth Mortis storyline would touch on anything Azeroth-related, as it's just about as far from Azeroth as you can realistically get.

So maybe the "death comes for your world" line they keep using over and over really just means along-the-lines of "if the Jailer wins, we/Azeroth loses" kind of deal? I guess that has been true for literally every other world ending threat.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Last we know the sword was cleansed of corruption and the area around it was stabilized to not be a threat to the planet so unless we get new info in 9.2 there’s no real reason to think it’s involved.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    So maybe the "death comes for your world" line they keep using over and over really just means along-the-lines of "if the Jailer wins, we/Azeroth loses" kind of deal? I guess that has been true for literally every other world ending threat.
    That's basically how I view Zovaal's threat to Azeroth, yes; nothing specific concerning Gorribal or the loose ends of the Legion storyline.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Last we know the sword was cleansed of corruption and the area around it was stabilized to not be a threat to the planet so unless we get new info in 9.2 there’s no real reason to think it’s involved.
    There were a few developer interviews in which it was said that Shadowlands would deal with the sword and tie up that story, so to speak, but it hasn't materialized as of yet. You can see the interview with Danuser and Taliesin here, the sword/Silithus question being near the end.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2021-11-16 at 05:26 PM.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

After seeing the promo image of Zovaal with what looks like Azerite behind him, I think the theories that Azeroth is a First One are correct. I am going to guess Zovaal needs the essence of a First One to operate whatever machine is capable of re-written reality.

As for the sword, who knows if it will actually get removed or not.

7+ Year Old Account
    unless the janitor comes to azeroth and pick up as a mop there isn't much to deal with.

im just forever pissed we can't get that as transmog

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    There was some interesting speculation and theorizing that the Zovaal encounter in the ZM raid could involve him coming to Azeroth, and pulling Gorribal out of Silithus to use as a weapon during the fight. Perhaps the Mythic-only phase of the fight or somesuch? No idea if that will be what happens, but it would definitely be an interesting thing to witness.

Yes, Sylvanas will use that sword to kill Jailer.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    There were a few developer interviews in which it was said that Shadowlands would deal with the sword and tie up that story, so to speak, but it hasn't materialized as of yet. You can see the interview with Danuser and Taliesin here, the sword/Silithus question being near the end.
    Ah, well I wouldn’t be surprised if that interview is going to go the way as that’s goblin cannon and it will just never be brought up again.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Sylvanas will stick it up her ass, explode and then we will get a world revamp in 10.0.

Perhaps Sargeras will pick it up one of these days prior to seeing him again. Otherwise blizzard will remove it between expansions with no explanation

We're at Eternity's End. We're still somewhere in the Shadowlands. Zereth Mortis is tucked away in the Shadowlands. It's the behind the scenes command center they used to create the Shadowlands. We're as far removed from Azeroth as we possibly can be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzie View Post
    We're at Eternity's End. We're still somewhere in the Shadowlands. Zereth Mortis is tucked away in the Shadowlands. It's the behind the scenes command center they used to create the Shadowlands. We're as far removed from Azeroth as we possibly can be.

I realize that. I was just wondering (and potentially speculating) if the expansion-long talk about the "soul of your world" will come into play at all since we are coming to the end of the expansion, if it had really any narrative significance or was it just generic bad guy talk.

There's evidently a Blizzard e-mail going around that repeats the "Soul of Azeroth" bit. Seems as much as they have repeated it through the expansion, there must be something planned. If not 9.2 then maybe in the pre-patch for 10.0.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/the-sou...evealed-324887

I realize that. I was just wondering (and potentially speculating) if the expansion-long talk about the "soul of your world" will come into play at all since we are coming to the end of the expansion, if it had really any narrative significance or was it just generic bad guy talk.
    Sadly I think it'll be as shallow as "No one escapes the maw!" where we escape with no issue at all.

Azeroth's world soul had no relevance in this expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzie View Post
    Azeroth's world soul had no relevance in this expansion.

This is true currently as the expansion isn't over yet, and we won't know for sure until the expansion is in fact over, but that's not what the thread is about.

Once again I need to try attention to me not stating that the world-soul will have relevance next patch, only that given the language that has been used going into the expansion and during the expansion up to this point, as well as the same language being used for the next patch... that could there be a possibility?
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2021-11-16 at 06:11 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's basically how I view Zovaal's threat to Azeroth, yes; nothing specific concerning Gorribal or the loose ends of the Legion storyline.

- - - Updated - - -

Danuser has about 100 one-line ideas on notecards he just blindfolds himself and throws a dart at to choose story elements. He has literally no idea or plan on how to deal with the giant sword.

Nope, never mentioned again.