Thread: Obvious bot

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

Obvious bot

can you just perma ban this spammer of questions please https://www.mmo-champion.com/members...hicken-Drummer

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    can you just perma ban this spammer of questions please https://www.mmo-champion.com/members...hicken-Drummer
    They don't seem to care when things are obvious. It's the same with trolls.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

I mean the fact its made 480 threads in 2 years and still going strong tells you they either don't care, or it belongs to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's painfully obvious. I've tried to report his posts in the past, but nothing gets done. Intolerable.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    Asking stupid questions isn't against the rules

I can only guess at this point it must be a site bot allowed to post to try and drive extra traffic.

I don't think it's a bot. He's been doing it on multiple forums for over 10 years and been banned from most of them. MoneySavingExpert, Urban75, Digital Spy, City-Data, MLP, you name it he has an account on it.

Google search Reecejackox. And that's just one of his usernames.

Hes' not a bot. However, when I would post one-liner threads I would get accused of "blogging" and locked.
    Last edited by Ashleyxoxo; 2021-11-13 at 05:46 PM.

He's now literally phishing for information - asking how many people live in your house is one of the first things every form you fill out asks. And I've reported it and reported it and reported it, exactly as I've been told to do by the moderators and nothing gets done. Well, one thing gets done - I get banned for doing exactly what the staff tells me to do (I will provide pics to prove what I say if I have to). When I look at what people here (myself included) get banned for, and then I look at how this bot is allowed to create thread after thread after thread where he does nothing but ask a question and disappear until the next one, it disgusts me.

Please, moderators, prove to us that this is valuable, interesting content. Prove to us how this bot enriches the site and adds to the quality of the discussions here. I'm begging you. Or else we might as well all just start doing content like this, and all you'll have is one of the biggest phishing sites on the internet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Phayde View Post
    I can only guess at this point it must be a site bot allowed to post to try and drive extra traffic.
    What shocks me is how many people keep falling for it and responding.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    What shocks me is how many people keep falling for it and responding.
    It's against the forum rules to call someone a troll, a bot, post pictures of someone you think is doing something bad and also what OP did.
    To my knowledge, it's not against the rules to be asking stupid shit.

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    It's against the forum rules to call someone a troll, a bot, post pictures of someone you think is doing something bad and also what OP did.
    Is it also against the rules to be told to report someone or something that looks like a bot by the site staff, to do so, and then to get banned for it?

Because I have been. For doing exactly that. For doing exactly what I was told to do.

And it's also not against the rules to spam useless threads and then never actually contribute to discussions? That's not against the rules? Well, OK then. Off I go to create a bunch of threads, each one being nothing more than an item off my grocery list. Have fun, everyone.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    It’s fishing for information. It’s kinda like those Facebook pages that ask seemingly random, innocent questions but are actually fishing for marketing information so they can sell you stuff. And yeah, this isn’t Facebook but the same principle applies.

And it's also not against the rules to spam useless threads and then never actually contribute to discussions? That's not against the rules? Well, OK then. Off I go to create a bunch of threads, each one being nothing more than an item off my grocery list. Have fun, everyone.
    We could start a movement with this. Just need to thank Chicken Drummer for the inspiration in each thread we make. Coming up, "What's your favorite type of Oreo?: Regular. TY Chicken Drummer"

When the site is filled with completely useless garbage, maybe they'll do something about it.

Is it also against the rules to be told to report someone or something that looks like a bot by the site staff, to do so, and then to get banned for it?

Because I have been. For doing exactly that. For doing exactly what I was told to do.

I don't believe you. There's more to the story of you getting banned then you're letting us know.
    All you can and should do is report, what happens next is not up to you or anyone else except the mods.

I'm also not picking sides here lol. I'm just stating the obvious.

Just put him on ignore if he bothers you.

No one seems to know exactly what the purpose behind it is or why its still allowed to exist on the site, but most people seem to be aware of what it's trying to do. Best thing we can do is simply not reply to it. Add them to your ignore list and advise others to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    It’s fishing for information. It’s kinda like those Facebook pages that ask seemingly random, innocent questions but are actually fishing for marketing information so they can sell you stuff. And yeah, this isn’t Facebook but the same principle applies.
    I'll admit I found it funny when people went through that outrage stage a few years ago - comments like "omg they STOLE my data", and I'm like "you gave it to them".

Bot or not...easiest thing to do is just ignore it. It isn't doing anything overtly harmful. Worst case it's doing the same thing google, facebook, etc. do whenever you use those sites... gathering your information.

I don't believe you. There's more to the story of you getting banned then you're letting us know.
    All you can and should do is report, what happens next is not up to you or anyone else except the mods.

I'm also not picking sides here lol. I'm just stating the obvious.
    Nope:

Posted in a thread about how it's a bot. Got banned and told to report threads, not post in them.

Reported threads instead of posting in them. Got banned.

That's all there is to it. I could give two craps if you personally don't believe me. I'm just stating the truth. And you still haven't responded to my statement about how making spam threads and never contributing to discussion (as we are now) isn't against the rules, when other people her get banned for it all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

And if anybody doesn't believe he has the blessing of the staff here, ask yourselves:

Why haven't the mods shut this thread down yet? Usually they're all over these threads. I've seen people banned within minutes of making threads or posts. And yet not one mod has said ANYTHING here. Not one.

The truth is plain to see.

Posted in a thread about how it's a bot. Got banned and told to report threads, not post in them.
    Yes.... And that is against the forum rules so of course you get banned. Nobody has told you to do that.
    You've been told to use the report function, not call people out on being bots.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That’s kinda the definition of a bot…
    A person can behave like a bot, but that doesn't make them one.