Poll: Do you think a 10.0 revamp is likely?

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ...
9
17
18
19
20
21
... LastLast
  1. #361
    You know what a great 10.0 revamp would be? A fresh batch of developers that keep their thoughts to themselves and balance what's good for the game with what the overwhelming majority of the player base wants.

    That would be a great revamp, till then....expect this to get from worse to worser. (yes, i wrote that on purpose to focus on the irony).

  2. #362
    There not gonna be a new revamp for the old world like cata did.

    If one thing cata proved was that not having a new landmass to explore is bad for an expansion.

    Hell, even cata had 5 new leveling zones that was essentially a spread out land mass. If you ask me, having these new zones in EK and Kal is the only reason why we got a world revamp to begin with, oh an to give us old world flying.


    So no, we don't need an old world revamp
    Last edited by Varx; 2021-11-29 at 04:45 PM.

  3. #363
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    even so, it was not that good, it had good things but a lot of things were mediocre at best
    It wasn't perfect, but the dungeons, raids and artifact storylines were all amazing in my opinion. The new features, such as the mage tower and M+ revolutionized instanced content that revolves around 1 player or a small group of 5 of them. Classes felt amazing to play too. The legendaries were the one big controversy of the expansion.

  4. #364
    Here's my crackpot theory happening with 10.0: The Azeroth that we return to has at least every race being able to be any class. I could speculate further, but color my shocked if that doesn't happen.

  5. #365
    Titan Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    13,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    It wasn't perfect, but the dungeons, raids and artifact storylines were all amazing in my opinion. The new features, such as the mage tower and M+ revolutionized instanced content that revolves around 1 player or a small group of 5 of them. Classes felt amazing to play too. The legendaries were the one big controversy of the expansion.
    some dungeons, some raids and some artifacts were good.

    by example, all warrior artifacts sucked ass

  6. #366
    Quote Originally Posted by Shefu View Post
    You know what a great 10.0 revamp would be? A fresh batch of developers that keep their thoughts to themselves and balance what's good for the game with what the overwhelming majority of the player base wants.

    That would be a great revamp, till then....expect this to get from worse to worser. (yes, i wrote that on purpose to focus on the irony).
    There is no such thing as an "overwhelmoing" majority in WoW. That is also a bad way to make the game as no section of players should be sole dictators how how the game should be.

  7. #367
    Mechagnome Archmage Xaxxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Wyrmrest Accord
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    If one thing cata proved was that not having a new landmass to explore is bad for an expansion.
    Despite there being 34 zones to explore and find new quests in.
    And that's excluding Hyjal, Vash'jir, Deepholm, Uldum, and Twilight Highlands, which are each in their own iconic staples of Azeroth since Cata. (or technically WC3 for Hyjal)

    It's always seemed to me to be the case that at the time, Cata wasn't so much a failure when it came to the World Revamp being only for 1-60 again, as much as it was the playerbase being unreceptive to the logic behind keeping that part of the game fresh.

    Look at WoW today, it's almost entirely an End-Game content run game with little to no emphasis on the RPG Adventure of exploring with friends, making memories and growing a character over time.

    New players have been streamlined into rushing to hit level 60 so they "can start the game" and it's the dirtiest trick, because Shadowlands' Endgame isn't the best WoW Endgame we've had.

    1-50 as of Shadowlands' leveling rework has become basically the core value of the game. All of the prized, favored, loved content of years past is consolidated to that Experience which so many are inclined to disregard as annoying, a waste of time etc.
    50-60 is enjoyable enough, though indeed a bit foreign to the bulk of the traditional 'Warcraft Adventures', and it ultimately leads to the current pit which is Max Level.

    I was of the mind that we won't be going 60-70. I don't see why Blizz crunch the number at their convenient double-of-vanilla cap at 120 down to 50 if we intend to eventually just reach 120 again.
    Now I'm not so sure, because they released the Level 60 Boost. I really figured Shadowlands would be plopped into the 10-50 leveling via Chromie Time and that your Level 60 characters would progress without the traditional means of 'leveling up' in 10.0.

    Though maybe the new Level 60 precedent actually backs my view, by allowing new players to jump right into the 10.0 content instead of leveling in 50-60 first.

    It's possible that the 50-60 Shadowlands is added to Chromie Time, and that extends all of the 10-50 Experiences to 10-60 alongside it.
    Play BFA, Wrath, MoP, Legion etc to 60 instead of just 50?

    And if you've read this wondering what would replace leveling to 70? Well, I know we don't all like Artifacts & Renown, but they were the testbeds for non-level based progression.
    It's a small-ish number, when it goes up, you get power and rewards.
    By now we're all quite used to these and won't recoil at them being the main source of 10.0 'leveling up.'
    Last edited by Archmage Xaxxas; 2021-11-29 at 10:15 PM.
    I too am a passionate member of
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

  8. #368
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Xaxxas View Post
    I was of the mind that we won't be going 60-70. I don't see why Blizz crunch the number at their convenient double-of-vanilla cap at 120 down to 50 if we intend to eventually just reach 120 again.
    They said the same thing about numbers squishing back in MoP the first time they did it.

    Then they did it again. Twice.

    They're definitely planning to scale us right back up to 120 again. Maybe they'll stop at 100 this time though. Who knows. It's not a huge deal either way.
    New BiS for 9.1!

    [ twitch ][ Retired Semi-retired as of 2018 ] [ The Official MMO-Champion Bingo Card. ] [ WoW's Community in 2021, illustrated ]
    [ That time I predicted the future...twice. ] [ How do you know if somebody posting on a WoW forum is a FFXIV player? Don't worry, they'll tell you. ]

  9. #369
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    19,608
    Quote Originally Posted by perera View Post
    I guess maybe I missed it, I've been playing on and off for several years now. From what I've looked up (and I could be wrong), what we know is that the Old Gods convinced Nozdormu that if he can see his own death, maybe he can alter the events leading him there, and that's where the Infinite Dragonflight originally came from. But after Nozdormu realized this he has been avoiding that path, all the while knowing it's going to happen some day. Maybe giving into that power is what allows him to fight Zovaal or something.
    That would be interesting, but really? The Dragon Aspect of the Bronze Dragonflight for Azeroth is going to overpower one of the First Ones (or whatever the f they're called) in the Shadowlands? Idk about that. Neat theory though!
    "For Teldrassil."
    Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

  10. #370
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    some dungeons, some raids and some artifacts were good.

    by example, all warrior artifacts sucked ass
    I've gotten all 3 mage tower appearances for all 3 warrior artifacts and I enjoyed the specs. Now I have to say that protection warrior felt really bad to play when compared to guardian druid, which remained the go-to tank for pretty much the entire expansion. I heavily disliked Legion's world PvP though.

  11. #371
    Titan Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    13,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    I've gotten all 3 mage tower appearances for all 3 warrior artifacts and I enjoyed the specs. Now I have to say that protection warrior felt really bad to play when compared to guardian druid, which remained the go-to tank for pretty much the entire expansion. I heavily disliked Legion's world PvP though.
    i mostly mean about the design and the lore behind those artifacts, completely lazy and some of then were awful.

  12. #372
    I'm betting it'll be Dragon Isles, Tel Abim, and Undermine (maybe 1-2 other zones)

    And a slight world update. Like they just update the world so the damage from Deathwing is fixed, they update the textures (so it looks nicer and newer), and update many of the settlements with newer buildings they will either make or have already made (like Arathi). All fairly easy ways to make the world feel updated and newer without huge time commitments.

    I think they'll finally do the Nozdormu transition to Murazond story arc and use the time theme to update and bring back a lot of the older content and make it relevant again.

    I also think they will FF14-ify the game like they Diablo-fied the game in Legion.

    Examples
    - They'll make all content somewhat relevant and more easily available
    - Some kind of housing
    - More in-depth story
    - Removal of most FOMO systems
    - Much deeper profession system
    - Etc
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2021-11-30 at 01:20 AM.

  13. #373
    Bloodsail Admiral Lady Atia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Rumour Tower
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    I'm betting it'll be Dragon Isles, Tel Abim, and Undermine (maybe 1-2 other zones)

    And a slight world update. Like they just update the world so the damage from Deathwing is fixed, they update the textures (so it looks nicer and newer), and update many of the settlements with newer buildings they will either make or have already made (like Arathi). All fairly easy ways to make the world feel updated and newer without huge time commitments.

    I think they'll finally do the Nozdormu transition to Murazond story arc and use the time theme to update and bring back a lot of the older content and make it relevant again.

    I also think they will FF14-ify the game like they Diablo-fied the game in Legion.

    Examples
    - They'll make all content somewhat relevant and more easily available
    - Some kind of housing
    - More in-depth story
    - Removal of most FOMO systems
    - Much deeper profession system
    - Etc
    I agree that we need housing aswell as more accessible content (for example adding rating to normal random battlegrounds to make it more like in classic as a way for casuals to grind up pvp "elite" rewards). For professions - they tried that in Legion and people hated it. The story has no problems besides the annoying cliffhangers and content drought, it's not really that different from Cataclysm era storytelling (hello Thrall) and honestly, have you played TBC? That expansion hat bad lore.

    Also they sure as hell won't remove FOMO. Cataclysm f.e. had none and honestly it felt super bad because people who played TBC and early WotLK all got FOMO stuff but suddenly they stopped it. The only thing they should do is creating more FOMO for everyone (as in, casuals not elite content), maybe via a battlepass system similiar to renown.

    Also we need a world revamp with all zones being similiar to korthia and available for new chars and max chars, more customization, covenant races as allied races and loosening of transmog rules aswell as new mount achievements (450, 500, 550 and 600 atleast).
    Last edited by Lady Atia; 2021-11-30 at 11:10 AM.

  14. #374
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    A lot of Shadowlands feels contrived and forced. However, if you start to look at it from the perspective of the developers who probably want to update their 17 year old game, the plot point of a mega Lich King with the keys to remake reality starts to make a lot more sense. (BTW, sidenote: I have a feeling the Jailer won't be choosing how to remake the reality, and the main characters will just come together to "fix" a few of their past mistakes - Thrall and Garrosh/Draenor, Sylvanas and Teldrassil, Jaina and stopping Arthas at Strath etc).

    1) They don't want to do a WoW 2.0 and segment the playerbase. Both EQ/EQ2 and Destiny 1/2 already did this and the issues with it are quite clear.

    2) They NEED to make MASSIVE updates to the game, one of the primary faction capitals of Stormwind looks like it's made out of Legos comparatively to any other modern WoW city.

    3) A zillion loose ends with time period phasing. Does it make sense to update Outland when you have Draenor? Bronze Dragonflight NPCs everywhere that you talk to for different phases.

    4) WoW's file size is getting larger and larger as we speak. Destiny 2 showed us that companies are willing to "vault" content to preserve file size. This is horrible in Destiny 2 in my opinion, but WoW has WoW Classic to hold and preserve the old zones. They're also clearly going to continue progressing classic servers so everyone will always get to play old stuff whenever they want - if they follow the EverQuest path you can have multiple server sets running in parallel at different chronological periods so everyone has access to a game state they want.

    5) If you look at what the game lacks from the perspective of an entire team knowing they're going to be making dramatic updates. No player housing yet, when every other MMO has it, starts to make sense if they knew they were building up to a massive reconstruction of the game. These are massive player investments. Who the hell would make a house in Stormwind or Silvermoon if you had an option to do it in Suramar or updated Dalaran?

    6) Players wondered where all the big class updates are, it makes sense to wait until something like this happens to make dramatic changes.


    Does anyone else feel this makes the revamp way more likely given what we know what this is all building up to? The developers have led us, however confusingly, to a point where we have a method to remake reality, seems crazy they would squander it in the light of how badly WoW needs to be refreshed updated.
    You know what that means technically? It requires they start from scratch. The blocks are not something you can upgrade to version 2.0.

    It takes approx 5 years to create a game at this size. Giving they have all the backlog and they just need to 'move' it some other engine, we can cut this to half(2/3 years). That means that should been working on it latest since BFA and we should be in beta by now(and heard of announcements).

    So the chances for 10.0 is a revamp is not really good. The car is too old - you can only polish it.
    Last edited by HansLolo; 2021-11-30 at 11:18 AM.

  15. #375
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Maybe they shouldn't rely on 2 year windows to recharge for the same game we've already paid for every single expansion Maybe they should just drop the Box price and continue to give us new experiences via content updates instead of trying to reinvent the wheel every 2 years which doesn't work. Restricting themselves to that kind of development window is what's ruining the game.
    That's all fine and dandy, but how would they make up for the $$$ loss on box sales? Which are a huge part of their WoW income (AFAIK Shadowlands sold pretty well). Thinking they will go for a model that can result in a drop of income is naivety.

  16. #376
    Quote Originally Posted by HansLolo View Post
    You know what that means technically? It requires they start from scratch. The blocks are not something you can upgrade to version 2.0.

    It takes approx 5 years to create a game at this size. Giving they have all the backlog and they just need to 'move' it some other engine, we can cut this to half(2/3 years). That means that should been working on it latest since BFA and we should be in beta by now(and heard of announcements).

    So the chances for 10.0 is a revamp is not really good. The car is too old - you can only polish it.
    This is just speculative of course but... imagine a scenario where they spent 50% of their time since the end of Legion on the revamp and putting 50% towards 8.0 and 9.0. Back during BFA I speculated they were doing all of these new Warfronts as a reason to generate all of these new faction-styled houses and buildings. They also outright destroyed two cities that one could probably recognize are the worst in terms of navigation and structure in the modern game - UC and Teldrassil.

    They've shown in Ardenweald and in Val'Sharah they have much more interesting ways to utilize a tree for housing with spiral ramps, hanging huts, etc. Just a flat top tree with a huge vertical trunk is super crappy. Between Suramar and the Legion Night Elf Temples you have a ton of structures for a new Silvermoon that just needs a new coat of red paint. You have the Stromgarde Warfront assets for upgrading Stormwind and Orgrimmar. You also have Nathria and Black Rook Hold as a template for a really cool, gothic new Undercity-style capital for the Forsaken, Dark Rangers, San'layn, etc. There's also that random Rexxar model redesign that hints at Moknathal. Seething Shore and the random Ogre structures being used...

    Could also explain why the last 2 expansions were kinda... meh. Some might say bad. They don't seem as bad anymore if we find out these were the side efforts of a team focused on a big 10.0 revamp.

    Obviously - 10.0 could be announced, it ends up just being more of the same. 10 more levels. Some temporary progression gimmick. Bronze dragons v Infinite dragons and dragon isles or some Void v Light conflict with the same AP / Covenant style systems, shitty crafting, etc. I've just had a really hard time grasping with the fact the same people who created Legion, my personal favorite expansion ever made for WoW since its existence... and then went and made BFA and Shadowlands. Something has to be brewing for it to make sense for me.

    I'm an idiot, but I try to be a hopeful idiot. This is a game I've been playing for almost 2 decades and this is the scenario I want to believe plays out so I have a reason to play again.
    Class Thoughts:
    Necromancer

  17. #377
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    This is just speculative of course but... imagine a scenario where they spent 50% of their time since the end of Legion on the revamp and putting 50% towards 8.0 and 9.0. Back during BFA I speculated they were doing all of these new Warfronts as a reason to generate all of these new faction-styled houses and buildings. They also outright destroyed two cities that one could probably recognize are the worst in terms of navigation and structure in the modern game - UC and Teldrassil.

    They've shown in Ardenweald and in Val'Sharah they have much more interesting ways to utilize a tree for housing with spiral ramps, hanging huts, etc. Just a flat top tree with a huge vertical trunk is super crappy. Between Suramar and the Legion Night Elf Temples you have a ton of structures for a new Silvermoon that just needs a new coat of red paint. You have the Stromgarde Warfront assets for upgrading Stormwind and Orgrimmar. You also have Nathria and Black Rook Hold as a template for a really cool, gothic new Undercity-style capital for the Forsaken, Dark Rangers, San'layn, etc. There's also that random Rexxar model redesign that hints at Moknathal. Seething Shore and the random Ogre structures being used...

    Could also explain why the last 2 expansions were kinda... meh. Some might say bad. They don't seem as bad anymore if we find out these were the side efforts of a team focused on a big 10.0 revamp.

    Obviously - 10.0 could be announced, it ends up just being more of the same. 10 more levels. Some temporary progression gimmick. Bronze dragons v Infinite dragons and dragon isles or some Void v Light conflict with the same AP / Covenant style systems, shitty crafting, etc. I've just had a really hard time grasping with the fact the same people who created Legion, my personal favorite expansion ever made for WoW since its existence... and then went and made BFA and Shadowlands. Something has to be brewing for it to make sense for me.

    I'm an idiot, but I try to be a hopeful idiot. This is a game I've been playing for almost 2 decades and this is the scenario I want to believe plays out so I have a reason to play again.
    My "realistic" hopes:

    1)WC4 release.
    2)WoW2 release.

    In the following order.

  18. #378
    Quote Originally Posted by HansLolo View Post
    My "realistic" hopes:

    1)WC4 release.
    2)WoW2 release.

    In the following order.
    I do not think WoW2 will ever happen because rarely does a Sequel in MMO genre games do well.
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

  19. #379
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    That's all fine and dandy, but how would they make up for the $$$ loss on box sales? Which are a huge part of their WoW income (AFAIK Shadowlands sold pretty well). Thinking they will go for a model that can result in a drop of income is naivety.
    I don't play anymore personally but they need to do something if they want me to come back.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - Sire Denathrius confirmed to have created the Dreadlords.

  20. #380
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I don't play anymore personally but they need to do something if they want me to come back.
    They just want to cash in on those initial sales and do the bare minimum to retain the diehards in-between. Subscriptions are probably a tertiary source of income at this point. Why should you or I stick around for the loot treadmill if we're buying a box every two years hoping that there's something new?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •